Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Getting Off The Last 10mg Of Citalopram

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 twinshopingfora3rd

twinshopingfora3rd

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:38 PM

I was originally on 40 mg of citalopram, dropped to 20 with no side effects at all 2 months ago. 2 weeks ago, I dropped to 10mg no problem, with the exception of 2 days of feeling tired like I did originally going ON the drug. I totally forgot my pill yesterday, and by last night (I take it in the morning) I felt like my hands were tingly and I felt fuzzy headed (best description I have).

Now, I've been told 10mg is not even a therapeutic dose, so I shouldn't even have a problem. Since dropping to 10mg, I feel better than I have in over a year - more present, more emotional (actually FEELING) and sleeping better. So why can't I get off the last 10mg without side effects? SHould I try and go down to 5mg for a week or so first? Right now I"m splitting 20mg pills, so I'd have to cut the halves again. I'm willing, just confused and a bit disappointed.

#2 lcny2001

lcny2001

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:37 PM

I've had to come off effexor and paxil before -- two of the hardest -- and I found that each time I got to the end the withdrawal effects were the worst. It took 4 months to get off Effexor and if I went down on a dose too quickly, then yes, I had symptoms like tingling hands, head, face and feeling like I just stepped of a sidewalk. You probably will need to cut it down to five for a week or so, then you might even need to take the five mg every other night for another week. Don't worry, you'll be able to do it, but sometimes you just have to go even slower than you think and sometimes you just have to put up with those uncomfortable withdrawal effects for a few days, but then the will go away, no doubt.

#3 John_in_SF

John_in_SF

• PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 11:44 AM

You can easily cut the halves down to 5mg if you have a pill cutter. If you don't want to take any chances then go down to 5mg for a while before you quit completely. It's not about whether the dose is therapeutic for depression; it's about avoiding discontinuation syndrome.

#4 twinshopingfora3rd

twinshopingfora3rd

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 08:33 PM

So today is my first day at 1/4 of a pill. So far so good.

#5 muffinmama

muffinmama

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:01 PM

So today is my first day at 1/4 of a pill. So far so good.

Let us know how it goes the next few days.

#6 twinshopingfora3rd

twinshopingfora3rd

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 12:42 PM

day three of (basically) 5mg - 1/4 of a 20 mg pill. I feel great. Actually had some issues with the Zithromax I was on last week making me really angry, finally did some research and realized it wasn't a backsliding on the celexa wean, it was the zithro. Last dose of that was Sat. night. Sunday, switched to the 1/4 pill.

I'm sort of thinking I might make this my last day of pills and see how it goes. I have 26 1/4 pills available if things get wonky with side effects. If I chicken out, I'll wait and make my last pill Friday and use the weekend to gauge how it will go. I'm so anxious to be done with this. I'm encouraged by how easy the 10mg to 5mg has been. When I went from 20 to 10 I had a lot of tiredness, and yawning and fuzziness for two days. None of that with this drop.

#7 twinshopingfora3rd

twinshopingfora3rd

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 02:27 PM

Spent almost a week at 5mg, then today is my first drug-free day. I feel -- good. A little cloudy, I want to say dizzy but that's not really the sensation. But I feel really positive, even though I had something really tick me off earlier I haven't hung onto it. Which is good for me. I'm wondering if the SE's of no meds hit earlier because the dose I was on was so small it was just enough to keep them from breaking through?

My goal is to not let the SE stop me. My twins 3 year birthday is next Thursday so that's my first goal. Get to that point without taking it. I start a new job in 30 days. That's goal 2.

I already can feel how easy it would be to take 1/4 of a pill to make the weird feeling stop. But I am paying attention to my mental state, and it's the best it's been in a long time. So I'm holding on to that.

Anyone know of anything I can do to lessen the "dizziness"? Caffeine? Cut caffeine? Exercise? Ideas?

#8 chel

chel

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:16 AM

Spent almost a week at 5mg, then today is my first drug-free day. I feel -- good. A little cloudy, I want to say dizzy but that's not really the sensation. But I feel really positive, even though I had something really tick me off earlier I haven't hung onto it. Which is good for me. I'm wondering if the SE's of no meds hit earlier because the dose I was on was so small it was just enough to keep them from breaking through?

My goal is to not let the SE stop me. My twins 3 year birthday is next Thursday so that's my first goal. Get to that point without taking it. I start a new job in 30 days. That's goal 2.

I already can feel how easy it would be to take 1/4 of a pill to make the weird feeling stop. But I am paying attention to my mental state, and it's the best it's been in a long time. So I'm holding on to that.

Anyone know of anything I can do to lessen the "dizziness"? Caffeine? Cut caffeine? Exercise? Ideas?

i am glad to hear that it is all going so well for you,, i recently dropped down to 20 mg from 40mg.. its only been a few days and i do feel more energetic and a little like crawling out of my skin , how long were you one 20mg? i was trying to go to 10 mg in about a month . i guess i will figure it out

#9 twinshopingfora3rd

twinshopingfora3rd

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 10:14 AM

I was on 20 for 2 months. 40mg before that (and 10mg of Lexapro right before). I was at 10 for almost 3 weeks...

I was really worried about making it through yesterday. It was tough as the day went on. I felt more dizzy and more emotional and had a bit of a crying spell (mostly about the dizziness) and was worried about the potential for nausea overnight as the last time I tried I was vomiting the first night of no pill. I worried I would break down and take one.

But I woke up this morning and feel fantastic. Still some dizziness, mostly if I turn my head real fast or move my eyes from one side to the other really fast. I loaded up on caffeine yesterday. Who knows if it helped or not.

We are busy today and tomorrow for the holiday weekend, so I'm hoping just to trudge through. But I feel good, my mental state is the best I can remember in a long time. I did feel a little manic yesterday, but I actually think that was more the excessive caffeine LOL.

Chel, good luck in weaning. I had to set up my plan on my own because my GP (who prescribed them) told me there's no reason I can't go cold turkey. Dont worry, I'll be changing dr's. LOL

#10 John_in_SF

John_in_SF

• PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 02:46 PM

How great! The head-turning and eye-moving things are extremely common. They should slowly subside over the next few weeks. Just be careful if you're in a situation which requires balance!

#11 twinshopingfora3rd

twinshopingfora3rd

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 04:38 PM

Yeah...I just hope I'm not speaking too soon. That maybe the bad side effects will hit in another couple of days. I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

#12 twinshopingfora3rd

twinshopingfora3rd

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 10:30 AM

Update for any of you still following:

Easter Sunday - bit off - just felt slightly irritated at everything, didn't last long though. Enjoyed a great day with the kids, the wife, the family, friends.

A little nauseous overnight, but managed to fall back asleep. Woke up with that sleepy feeling you have when you are first starting a new med. Dizziness seems to have subsided, although I still get that weird spinny sensation every now and then, more in the mornings.

Feeling good still mentally. This is day 4 of zero meds, after a week at 5mg.

#13 muffinmama

muffinmama

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 04:53 PM

Update for any of you still following:

Easter Sunday - bit off - just felt slightly irritated at everything, didn't last long though. Enjoyed a great day with the kids, the wife, the family, friends.

A little nauseous overnight, but managed to fall back asleep. Woke up with that sleepy feeling you have when you are first starting a new med. Dizziness seems to have subsided, although I still get that weird spinny sensation every now and then, more in the mornings.

Feeling good still mentally. This is day 4 of zero meds, after a week at 5mg.

We all hope it goes as well for us. And that we can eventually get off the meds too.

#14 twinshopingfora3rd

twinshopingfora3rd

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:47 PM

It will. You can. I know you can go way slower than I did - but we are hoping to get pregnant on an assisted cycle next month and I wanted to be off for at least a month before our embryo transfer.

Seriously, I've never done anything where I actually said to myself "just get through today, tomorrow is a new one" before now. I KNOW I'm doing the right thing, but at those moments where I don't feel all that physically great, it's so easy to think "just take one and get back to the withdrawals tomorrow." It's literally a conscious choice every minute of the day. I've never been "addicted" to anything so this is all very very new to me...

#15 twinshopingfora3rd

twinshopingfora3rd

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:23 PM

So today SUCKED. It was my twins birthday, started off great, had lunch with them...by the time I got home I was miserable. Drove home in a daze. Felt incredibly lost. Irritable. Frustrated with everything. Feel like an ***. Just want to cry...hoping I can get through it. Physically, feel fairly good - still a bit like there's a mind-body disconnect. But praying I can get through it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users