Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lonleysindy

Womens Cycles

women and their cycles   93 members have voted

1. 1. does it make a differance in the amount of depression

• yes
    • no

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

42 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Advertisement

do you think that being female and your cycle and in many cases pre menopsal make depression worse at times. I find i am depressed 2 weeks a month and completely nuts for two weeks

Edited by lonleysindy
SFChristianGirl likes this

You might also be interested in:

Posted

While being female isn't why I have depression, the worse my depression is, the worse the PMS is. And I only started getting PMS after I started having major depression. I used have no problems at all - I miss those days!

Posted

I find that I am much more depressed before my period. I thought the tablets would do something about this but they haven't. I'm going to chat to the doc when I go back.

Posted

i dont really find it makes a difference, im just depressed the whole time, all month lol

Posted

Like a week before my period my mood & attitude change & it doesnt get better till a few days after my period is over. This past period was horrible it was the worst i felt in a long time i had absolutely no motivation & slept up to 14 hrs a day, it was horrible!!!

Posted

I feel like I am some person I don't know and would never what to know. I say very hurtful things sometimes to people.

Posted

i was very much lower mid cycle, around ovulation, though i don't know how much of this was just pms as your hormones are everywhere then. certainly it made dpssn worse, and i was a total Biotch. all sorted now im on the pill though!!

Posted

I get a little weepy the day before, but nothing serious. After hearing some of the stories about PMS and cramps and whatnot, I have realized how lucky I am.

Posted

Lol, I suffer incredibly. I battle to get out of bed, get really ill, extreme pain and occasionally abcesses in my lymph nodes. Wish I got menopause early. :hearts:

starla1979 likes this

Posted

From The Happy Plan book (Charmaine Yabsley 2006) "If you suffer from low moods around the time of your period, it may be that your progesterone levels are low. If you feel happier and more energetic when you period starts, or just after it, it indicates that you have high levels of oestrogen. Oestrogen levels vary between women and tend to be lower after childbirth and around and after the menopause. A lack of oestrogen in the body can cause depression. It is believed that oestrogen may help ward off depression during these times by increasing the feel-good chemical, serotonin in the brain"

Too high levels of oestrogen and you can experience anxiety, irritability and nervous tension. Can't win can we.

I take the Yasmin contraceptive pill, not for a contraceptive but to prevent cramps, spots and facial hair. Unfortunatley it tends to poop out on me. I get a year and a halfish then will have to come off and wait a while, slowly everything builds up again the cramps return and I errupt in spots, back on Yasmin and it all dies down.

Posted

I definately notice Im worse around the time of my period although its probably because I normally suffer from migranes and very bad cramps before I get it :hearts:

Posted

>>amazinggrace<<

No way!?! i did not know all that about oestrogen...and i should know!

i basically dont produce oestrogen naturally very well... my doctor told me to go on the Pill cos otherwise i'd be at high risk of osteoperosis and heart problems...(which happen to both run very strongly in the female side of my family...)......before i went on the Pill i'd had like a total of about 8 periods over 5 years...and when i started the Pill, it had been a year and a month since my last one (sorry if a little too much info there)..

but anyway... i did not know that it had so many effects on depression!... though it doesnt really explain why im feeling bad now...as im getting my daily dosage of oestrogen..in theory.... and i suffer from anxiety and irritability as well as depression... so doesnt really explain that... maybe in oestrogen intollerant... :hearts:

that was a slightly pointless post...i am aware of it.. :flowers:

Posted

Yes, I definately find my cycle affects my depression. I get much more withdrawn, snappy, moody etc. I wish I would get an early menopause too.

Posted

Yes, I definately find my cycle affects my depression. I get much more withdrawn, snappy, moody etc. I wish I would get an early menopause too.

This is definitely me as well. Just prior to I get a non-stop headache, withdrawn, quiet, depressed and snappy. Although I am depressed all month long as well, it just seems more prounounced before my cycle starts.

Posted

Mine is sooo bad, I spend 2-3 crying endlessly. Last Saturday I spent most of the day in bed crying. What a waste, and I don't know how to stop it. :(

Posted

I'm so glad I'm not alone. About a week before my period, my life falls apart. Most months I get moody, everything annoys me, and I snap at everyone; but there are a few months that I spend most of the week in bed crying and just trying to stay away from everyone. And it's like I'm having an out of body experience, where I can almost watch myself being such a harpy to everyone I love and yet completely unable to stop it. It's terrible.

yesican likes this

Posted

Out of interest does anyone else have a very short cycle, 22-23 days? Just curious.

Posted

I have noticed that whenever my mood is a bit unstable the smallest thing can push me over the edge. If my hormones are acting up the week before and during my period then I have to be more cautious emotionally. Basically pull the rains back a little. If I am stressed and getting my period then I really need to watch out that I don't slip into a depressed mind set. But luckily, and I am very grateful for this, I don't have this problem every month.

Posted

Lol, I suffer incredibly. I battle to get out of bed, get really ill, extreme pain and occasionally abcesses in my lymph nodes. Wish I got menopause early. :hearts:

Haha same. I feel sooo down those days. It is like being ill... My back aches and generaly i have a lot of pain in my bones. I have those terrible headaches and my belly goes crazy; it is like a baloon. 2-3 years ago i had this episode, because i felt frastrated about having all this pain. Why do women have to go through all these? It is unfair....

Posted

It affects me a lot.

Not only the hormones, but also that because of "stress and depression" (my doc tells me this since almost 5 years), my cycle is completely out of control. I even take the birth control pill, but get my period whenever my body wants. It always depresses me a lot, because I fear of having a disease. sometimes it

Posted

dido here..... on prozac so it is not as bad this month the depression

but my anxieties really get worse.....and the social anxiety..and panic worse too before my period..anyone else...tension and anxiety get worse

Posted

Like a week before my period my mood & attitude change & it doesnt get better till a few days after my period is over. This past period was horrible it was the worst i felt in a long time i had absolutely no motivation & slept up to 14 hrs a day, it was horrible!!!

This is exactly what I wanted to say although I can sleep up to 20 hours sometimes.

Posted

It most definitely effects my depression. I feel worse a week before and a week after my period. My cycle is still normal right now but I know at my age, 40, hormones will start changing if they aren't already. I'm trying to get my depression under control before menopause starts so that maybe it won't be as bad.

Posted

I used to get really nasty cramps and vomit too. Now I'm mainly cranky & irritable and for a few days I feel like I'm freezing to death. Now that I'm on an AD I feel better during my period. But I think I used to get a little depressed (normal, not clinical) around the time it started.

Posted

Yep I was not the nicest a week before and during. However since I'm going through menopause and my cycles changing I've noticed the only time I crash is when i'm stressed out.