Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Womens Cycles

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Poll: women and their cycles (81 member(s) have cast votes)

does it make a differance in the amount of depression

1. yes (74 votes [91.36%])

Percentage of vote: 91.36%

2. no (7 votes [8.64%])

Percentage of vote: 8.64%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 lonleysindy

lonleysindy

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 05:34 PM

do you think that being female and your cycle and in many cases pre menopsal make depression worse at times. I find i am depressed 2 weeks a month and completely nuts for two weeks

Edited by lonleysindy, 30 March 2009 - 05:58 PM.

Love Yourself, Like You've Never Been Loved Before
Accept Yourself, Good and Bad
Posted Image

#2 Persephone

Persephone

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:12 PM

While being female isn't why I have depression, the worse my depression is, the worse the PMS is. And I only started getting PMS after I started having major depression. I used have no problems at all - I miss those days!

#3 PRT

PRT

• Platinum Member
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:50 AM

I find that I am much more depressed before my period. I thought the tablets would do something about this but they haven't. I'm going to chat to the doc when I go back.
To see a world in a grain of sand
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour. Posted Image

#4 lizzy100

lizzy100

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 03:54 PM

i dont really find it makes a difference, im just depressed the whole time, all month lol

#5 jellybean27

jellybean27

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 02:55 PM

Like a week before my period my mood & attitude change & it doesnt get better till a few days after my period is over. This past period was horrible it was the worst i felt in a long time i had absolutely no motivation & slept up to 14 hrs a day, it was horrible!!!

~ My hope for a good life is porportionate to my forgiving heart.

Happiness is within my power. ~

~ I need courage to face the truth; and the truth will strengthen me ~
Posted Image

#6 lonleysindy

lonleysindy

• Platinum Member
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:05 PM

I feel like I am some person I don't know and would never what to know. I say very hurtful things sometimes to people.
Love Yourself, Like You've Never Been Loved Before
Accept Yourself, Good and Bad
Posted Image

#7 evenstars

evenstars

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 04:02 PM

i was very much lower mid cycle, around ovulation, though i don't know how much of this was just pms as your hormones are everywhere then. certainly it made dpssn worse, and i was a total Biotch. all sorted now im on the pill though!!

#8 arboria

arboria

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 05:13 PM

I get a little weepy the day before, but nothing serious. After hearing some of the stories about PMS and cramps and whatnot, I have realized how lucky I am.

Create your own peace. No one will give it to you.

envelope1jr.jpgplatinumstar.jpg

#9 Trace

Trace

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 52,085 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 05:06 AM

Lol, I suffer incredibly. I battle to get out of bed, get really ill, extreme pain and occasionally abcesses in my lymph nodes. Wish I got menopause early. :hearts:
  • starla1979 likes this
Listen in deep silence. Be very still and open your mind.... Sink deep into the peace that waits for you beyond the frantic, riotous thoughts and sights and sounds of this insane world. - A course of miracles.

True beauty must come, must be grown, from within.... - Ralph W Trine.

Posted Image

#10 amazinggrace

amazinggrace

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 05:45 AM

From The Happy Plan book (Charmaine Yabsley 2006) "If you suffer from low moods around the time of your period, it may be that your progesterone levels are low. If you feel happier and more energetic when you period starts, or just after it, it indicates that you have high levels of oestrogen. Oestrogen levels vary between women and tend to be lower after childbirth and around and after the menopause. A lack of oestrogen in the body can cause depression. It is believed that oestrogen may help ward off depression during these times by increasing the feel-good chemical, serotonin in the brain"
Too high levels of oestrogen and you can experience anxiety, irritability and nervous tension. Can't win can we.

I take the Yasmin contraceptive pill, not for a contraceptive but to prevent cramps, spots and facial hair. Unfortunatley it tends to poop out on me. I get a year and a halfish then will have to come off and wait a while, slowly everything builds up again the cramps return and I errupt in spots, back on Yasmin and it all dies down.

"How comes things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer J Simpson

Choose Life!

xxx Go puppy love xxx

#11 x_Spencer_x

x_Spencer_x

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 08:46 AM

I definately notice Im worse around the time of my period although its probably because I normally suffer from migranes and very bad cramps before I get it :hearts:

#12 marymary

marymary

• PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 06:02 PM

>>amazinggrace<<

No way!?! i did not know all that about oestrogen...and i should know!

i basically dont produce oestrogen naturally very well... my doctor told me to go on the Pill cos otherwise i'd be at high risk of osteoperosis and heart problems...(which happen to both run very strongly in the female side of my family...)......before i went on the Pill i'd had like a total of about 8 periods over 5 years...and when i started the Pill, it had been a year and a month since my last one (sorry if a little too much info there)..

but anyway... i did not know that it had so many effects on depression!... though it doesnt really explain why im feeling bad now...as im getting my daily dosage of oestrogen..in theory.... and i suffer from anxiety and irritability as well as depression... so doesnt really explain that... maybe in oestrogen intollerant... :hearts:

that was a slightly pointless post...i am aware of it.. :flowers:

#13 girlypants

girlypants

• PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:04 PM

Yes, I definately find my cycle affects my depression. I get much more withdrawn, snappy, moody etc. I wish I would get an early menopause too.
girlypants

#14 Gemini

Gemini

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 07:39 AM

Yes, I definately find my cycle affects my depression. I get much more withdrawn, snappy, moody etc. I wish I would get an early menopause too.

This is definitely me as well. Just prior to I get a non-stop headache, withdrawn, quiet, depressed and snappy. Although I am depressed all month long as well, it just seems more prounounced before my cycle starts.

#15 bastet

bastet

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 11:35 AM

Mine is sooo bad, I spend 2-3 crying endlessly. Last Saturday I spent most of the day in bed crying. What a waste, and I don't know how to stop it. :(

#16 east

east

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 12:21 PM

I'm so glad I'm not alone. About a week before my period, my life falls apart. Most months I get moody, everything annoys me, and I snap at everyone; but there are a few months that I spend most of the week in bed crying and just trying to stay away from everyone. And it's like I'm having an out of body experience, where I can almost watch myself being such a harpy to everyone I love and yet completely unable to stop it. It's terrible.
  • yesican likes this

#17 Girly

Girly

Community Assistant

• DF Support
  • 5,646 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 03:00 PM

Out of interest does anyone else have a very short cycle, 22-23 days? Just curious.
Girly

"No matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow". ღ ~Maya Angelou

Diagnosis - Borderline Personality Disorder. Meds - citalopram and olanzapine.

#18 SweetCore

SweetCore

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 03:18 AM

I have noticed that whenever my mood is a bit unstable the smallest thing can push me over the edge. If my hormones are acting up the week before and during my period then I have to be more cautious emotionally. Basically pull the rains back a little. If I am stressed and getting my period then I really need to watch out that I don't slip into a depressed mind set. But luckily, and I am very grateful for this, I don't have this problem every month.

#19 Boombox

Boombox

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 04:46 AM

Lol, I suffer incredibly. I battle to get out of bed, get really ill, extreme pain and occasionally abcesses in my lymph nodes. Wish I got menopause early. :hearts:

Haha same. I feel sooo down those days. It is like being ill... My back aches and generaly i have a lot of pain in my bones. I have those terrible headaches and my belly goes crazy; it is like a baloon. 2-3 years ago i had this episode, because i felt frastrated about having all this pain. Why do women have to go through all these? It is unfair....
♬ ♩ Boombox ♬ ♩

#20 illusion

illusion

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 06:40 PM

It affects me a lot.
Not only the hormones, but also that because of "stress and depression" (my doc tells me this since almost 5 years), my cycle is completely out of control. I even take the birth control pill, but get my period whenever my body wants. It always depresses me a lot, because I fear of having a disease. sometimes its that extreme that I cry a lot and even hurt myself because of it.
But my doctor keeps on saying my body is fine and its stress.

#21 kassiegal

kassiegal

• PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 06:41 PM

dido here..... on prozac so it is not as bad this month the depression
but my anxieties really get worse.....and the social anxiety..and panic worse too before my period..anyone else...tension and anxiety get worse

#22 Unique

Unique

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 12:50 PM

Like a week before my period my mood & attitude change & it doesnt get better till a few days after my period is over. This past period was horrible it was the worst i felt in a long time i had absolutely no motivation & slept up to 14 hrs a day, it was horrible!!!

This is exactly what I wanted to say although I can sleep up to 20 hours sometimes.
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

#23 Meirra

Meirra

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:59 PM

It most definitely effects my depression. I feel worse a week before and a week after my period. My cycle is still normal right now but I know at my age, 40, hormones will start changing if they aren't already. I'm trying to get my depression under control before menopause starts so that maybe it won't be as bad.

#24 tamsynx

tamsynx

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 02:01 PM

I used to get really nasty cramps and vomit too. Now I'm mainly cranky & irritable and for a few days I feel like I'm freezing to death. Now that I'm on an AD I feel better during my period. But I think I used to get a little depressed (normal, not clinical) around the time it started.
I am not a doctor. All I can do is offer my opinion.

#25 shio

shio

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 09:01 PM

Yep I was not the nicest a week before and during. However since I'm going through menopause and my cycles changing I've noticed the only time I crash is when i'm stressed out.
~ If you could just open up to other people, you'd soon find that you have more than one safe haven.~
Major depression, PTSD, Borderline Personality Disorder, Anxiety

#26 Beanchop99

Beanchop99

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 09:17 PM

Out of interest does anyone else have a very short cycle, 22-23 days? Just curious.

My cycle is 21 days.
Truth. Beauty. Freedom. Love.
Posted Image

Suicide Hotlines

#27 Symora

Symora

• PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 12:15 AM

Seems to me that I've been pre-menopausal for 10 years!!! :wwww: I've had such bad PMS all my life that I think I was never able to develop a stable personnality because of it. 2 weeks a month I would turn into a basket case, completely impossible to figure out, hypersensitive, irritable, easily angry, discontented, depressed, critical, mean.... Then it would just fade away as soon as my period would start and I'd be normal, nice and calm person again trying to repair the damage I had done for 2 weeks. Then 2 weeks later it would start all over again... That was really tough on my relationships, and on me of course :sneaky2:

So for the last 10 years I've been going through all sorts of pre-menauposal things. Serious depression off and on, hot flashes, irrationality for months at a time, crying fits, bloated belly, no patience for any bullsh*t whatsoever, and I basically pushed my partner out the door because I was could not stand anyone around me .... And my period still hasn't stopped at the age of 54, although it is haphazard now. I am so tired of hormonal fluctuations I could scream!!! Peace, I just want peace! I must be due for a period again.. :shocked:

Edited by Symora, 31 December 2009 - 12:16 AM.

Symora

#28 Helium

Helium

Community Assistant

• DF Support
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:31 PM

In this aspect, Im very lucky. I dont have any mood swings or crams before, after, or during my period.
"I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know?"

— Ernest Hemingway

#29 makemesmilealways24

makemesmilealways24

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 02:56 PM

From The Happy Plan book (Charmaine Yabsley 2006) "If you suffer from low moods around the time of your period, it may be that your progesterone levels are low. If you feel happier and more energetic when you period starts, or just after it, it indicates that you have high levels of oestrogen. Oestrogen levels vary between women and tend to be lower after childbirth and around and after the menopause. A lack of oestrogen in the body can cause depression. It is believed that oestrogen may help ward off depression during these times by increasing the feel-good chemical, serotonin in the brain"
Too high levels of oestrogen and you can experience anxiety, irritability and nervous tension. Can't win can we.

I take the Yasmin contraceptive pill, not for a contraceptive but to prevent cramps, spots and facial hair. Unfortunatley it tends to poop out on me. I get a year and a halfish then will have to come off and wait a while, slowly everything builds up again the cramps return and I errupt in spots, back on Yasmin and it all dies down.

Exactly the same as me about Yasmin for those reasons!

I've noticed I nearly always feel suicidal in the week or so leading up to my period and usually the day my period starts I feel a huge sense of relief emotionally too! Although can still feel depressed all month, but especially bad in those 2 weeks!

#30 crispian

crispian

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:29 PM

I'm not a woman, but am married to one, with 2 daughters to boot.

Pain and Depression are related, so it would be logical to make the connection between your cycle and levels of depression. My wife suffers from horrendous pains during her cycle, how she holds it together sometimes I'll never know, but when she doesn't, it shows. Its a part of nature I'll never understand!

#31 Spiritual_Wanderer

Spiritual_Wanderer

Community Assistant

• DF Support
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:18 AM

Every month for maybe 5 days or so I feel like my medication isn't working, then I start my period, and everything starts to get ok again. Just happened this week to me! Ugh. I definitely get MORE depressed, more anxious, more irritable, more nervous energy, etc. Thankfully, I don't get cramps! (I used to as a teenager really bad.)

It is very annoying!
Many Blessings,
SW
goldenvelope1jr.gif

Not all those who wander are lost. - J.R.R. Tolkien
Don't let the muggles get you down. ― J.K. Rowling

#32 imperfectsilence

imperfectsilence

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:57 PM

I am just depressed every day, regardless of it is before, during or after my period.

#33 Lisa15

Lisa15

Community Assistant

• DF Support
  • 582 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:33 PM

My cycle is 21 days.

My cycle used to always be 29+ days, but lately it can be as short as 22. Also am having longer, heavier periods. I'll be 46 in three months, so I supposed I'm peri-menopausal. Because of that, I've started to chart my mood to see if it is related to my cycle. I suspect it is, but I need to study the pattern to be sure.

#34 NorthernStar

NorthernStar

Community Assistant

• DF Support
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

It used to affect earlier, but after I started taking birth control pill in April 2004 my PMS disappeared so it doesn't affect my depression anymore. I'm very thankful for that, since my mental premenstrual symptoms were absolutely horrifying. I was nothing but an emotional wreck.

Posted Image

#35 summer_rain

summer_rain

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

I just joined this forum cos I am premenstrual and having depression from it, yet again. I have depression generally too, but being premenstrual makes it really bad. I wish I could make it go away. It seems so unnecessary!

#36 neo_politan

neo_politan

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:26 AM

struggling with this right now. i started bc nearly 10 years ago to get regular, and i am regular now, thank god. but i notice i get cramps like 5 days before it actually starts and im more lethargic than usual. i am not a crier but i cried for no reason today. its so uncomfortable :(

#37 yesican

yesican

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:09 PM

ugh! PMS sucks!!!!! I get very irritable, teary, angry and depressed about 4-5 days before my period. I snap at the people around me and just want to be alone...but I can hardly even stand to be around me! lol

I hate how this affects my life!

• evalynn likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users