Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Best Stimulating Anti-depressant?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PetersKeys

PetersKeys

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 02:22 AM

What would you say is the best anti-depressant for people who have no energy or motivation to complete goals? Simple tasks of even getting the mail or taking out the garbage is exerting. At times I just don't wanto to ever get out of bed and I become extremely depressed at the moment I wake up

Anxiety is not that much of a problem for me as it used to be. But rather groggyness, and no motivation. Many times of my day are going to bed in order to "escape" , whether it be responsibilitys or stress..

I have been on prozac and other regular SSRIs. And while they helped with the depression I felt more zombish than motivated and didn't do much for my energy. People have suggested wellbutrin might best because it has better stimulant effects than the other depresants. So I'm going to be on Wellbutrin soon.

DOes anyone know of other meds that help with energy and motivation? Adderal and ritalin scare me because of the addiction potential and I have had substances abuse problems. I have heard provigil might be a good option. What are your opinions?

Edited by PetersKeys, 29 March 2009 - 02:24 AM.

#2 PRT

PRT

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 04:42 AM

I can't help you Peter but I'm very interested in hearing the response. I'm on Citalopram and it's great for my depression but I have no motivation at all.
To see a world in a grain of sand
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour. Posted Image

#3 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,850 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 02:47 PM

Welcome to DF, PetersKeys,
I was on Prozac for years and found it energising. We all respond and react to meds differently. I was on Wellbutrin 450mg for a few months. It was too much for me and triggered manic episodes (I'm Bipolar I) and I was taken off it. Check out the Wellbutrin room for info and others' experiences with it.

We're not professionals and cannot answer your question or give you advice about meds. It's better you consult with your pdoc for advice and feedback.
Sheepwoman
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#4 rs2012

rs2012

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 03:16 PM

The best stimulating antidepressant is Wellbutrin XL for me. Since I've been taking it without any antipsychotic drugs I wake up and am ready to go. :hearts:
I take 150mg in the morning and sometimes another 150mg in the afternoon if I'm working 6 days that week which is often. If I can't sleep I workout for 10min to induce sleep.
Life is a learning process with no score. You learn as much or more from failure as from success. The only true failure is not having learned

#5 PetersKeys

PetersKeys

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:12 PM

The best stimulating antidepressant is Wellbutrin XL for me. Since I've been taking it without any antipsychotic drugs I wake up and am ready to go. :hearts:
I take 150mg in the morning and sometimes another 150mg in the afternoon if I'm working 6 days that week which is often. If I can't sleep I workout for 10min to induce sleep.

interesting, ill be starting my wellbutrin tommorow. 100mg daily. the SSRIs helped with my depression but I still had no motivation to get up and work. Hopefully it will give me the energy boost I need without having to resort to addictive stimulants

I heard wellbutrin is the only antidepressant that affects dopamine primarly, whereas the SSRI and SNRIs only affect seritonin or norepinephrine. And I have heard dopamine feels more energizing whereas seritonin is more sedating

Edited by PetersKeys, 29 March 2009 - 09:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users