Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PetersKeys

Best Stimulating Anti-depressant?

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

What would you say is the best anti-depressant for people who have no energy or motivation to complete goals? Simple tasks of even getting the mail or taking out the garbage is exerting. At times I just don't wanto to ever get out of bed and I become extremely depressed at the moment I wake up

Anxiety is not that much of a problem for me as it used to be. But rather groggyness, and no motivation. Many times of my day are going to bed in order to "escape" , whether it be responsibilitys or stress..

I have been on prozac and other regular SSRIs. And while they helped with the depression I felt more zombish than motivated and didn't do much for my energy. People have suggested wellbutrin might best because it has better stimulant effects than the other depresants. So I'm going to be on Wellbutrin soon.

DOes anyone know of other meds that help with energy and motivation? Adderal and ritalin scare me because of the addiction potential and I have had substances abuse problems. I have heard provigil might be a good option. What are your opinions?

Edited by PetersKeys

You might also be interested in:

Posted

I can't help you Peter but I'm very interested in hearing the response. I'm on Citalopram and it's great for my depression but I have no motivation at all.

Posted

Welcome to DF, PetersKeys,

I was on Prozac for years and found it energising. We all respond and react to meds differently. I was on Wellbutrin 450mg for a few months. It was too much for me and triggered manic episodes (I'm Bipolar I) and I was taken off it. Check out the Wellbutrin room for info and others' experiences with it.

We're not professionals and cannot answer your question or give you advice about meds. It's better you consult with your pdoc for advice and feedback.

Sheepwoman

Posted

The best stimulating antidepressant is Wellbutrin XL for me. Since I've been taking it without any antipsychotic drugs I wake up and am ready to go. :hearts:

I take 150mg in the morning and sometimes another 150mg in the afternoon if I'm working 6 days that week which is often. If I can't sleep I workout for 10min to induce sleep.

Posted (edited)

The best stimulating antidepressant is Wellbutrin XL for me. Since I've been taking it without any antipsychotic drugs I wake up and am ready to go. :hearts:

I take 150mg in the morning and sometimes another 150mg in the afternoon if I'm working 6 days that week which is often. If I can't sleep I workout for 10min to induce sleep.

interesting, ill be starting my wellbutrin tommorow. 100mg daily. the SSRIs helped with my depression but I still had no motivation to get up and work. Hopefully it will give me the energy boost I need without having to resort to addictive stimulants

I heard wellbutrin is the only antidepressant that affects dopamine primarly, whereas the SSRI and SNRIs only affect seritonin or norepinephrine. And I have heard dopamine feels more energizing whereas seritonin is more sedating

Edited by PetersKeys