Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Painfulsoul

Whats The Reasons Behind Depression?

29 posts in this topic

Posted

I believe that there is no definite answer to this question because depression can be caused by a number of factors.

In my case, it is partly due to heredity. My paternal grandmother suffered from schizophrenia and depression.

I also was a victim of bullying, abuse, and racial discrimination for a long time. That contributed to my downward spiral.

I was premature at birth with a very low birth weight. I have a few cognitive disabilities as well. I have read studies that link depression to some of the factors I've mentioned.

There are many different reasons behind depression. Not everyone experiences the same symptoms. It could be triggered by a chemical imbalance for one person and painful life experiences for another.

You might also be interested in:

Posted

It can depend on the person. For me, I think it was because of my parents divorce.

Posted

I agree on what you said...thanks

Hi

I've been reading some of your ideas of the causes of depression.

In many cases, particularly adolescents, self-esteem has a major part to play in depression.

Conflictions between the "real self" and the "ideal self", setting standards that are too high and being unrealistic in your self-expectations are involved in low self esteem!!

But of course, there are lists of things that influence depression, like as mentioned: low levels of serotonin, lack of exercise, lack of social interactions or lack of wanting social interactions and various negative attitudes.

My advice: get a professional to help you address the problem of depression and work at defeating it.

Depression can blur your self evaluation; even if you find the problem, how are you going to go about solving it??

Thus, analysing yourself on your own is useless...at least get a friend to help and encourage you on making the right steps.

But thats just my personal opinion...

Shaun

Posted

There are many different reasons. First, is it because of disease like hyper or hypothyroid, diabetes, lupus, etc. If not, is it because of the situation you are in. Third, is it because of some past hurt? Finally, is it hereditary?