Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Whats The Reasons Behind Depression?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

#1 Painfulsoul

Painfulsoul

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:48 PM

are people sad and depressed without a reason, or without being able to identify the reason, or there is a specific reason for it, like a breakup? i mean when you have a reason to feel bad, is it just sadness if the feeling are intense and affect your everyday life? im very confused. i don't know where its depression or sadness or grief.

#2 Trace

Trace

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52,085 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 03:15 AM

Hi Painfulsoul

Depression is different for everyone. There is clinical depression, which is a chemical imbalance in the brain and there need not be a reason to feel depressed. There is situational depression, which is caused by a break up, trauma or death, etc.

Clincal depression needs to be treated with meds for life.

Trace
Listen in deep silence. Be very still and open your mind.... Sink deep into the peace that waits for you beyond the frantic, riotous thoughts and sights and sounds of this insane world. - A course of miracles.

True beauty must come, must be grown, from within.... - Ralph W Trine.

Posted Image

#3 sweetabby

sweetabby

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 07:58 AM

Depression - mental state
Sadness - short-term emotion
Grief - longer term emotional state

These are just my own ideas.
~~SweetAbby~~

#4 gentle sun

gentle sun

• Platinum Member
  • 4,641 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 08:09 AM

Trace is right. One more thing, but this is just my theory.... I think that long-term stress, unrelenting, can change the brain's chemistry so that the neurons etc. dont work like they should anymore and you need medication to make them work properly. Yeah, it does seem to be needed for life in that case, so far as I can see anyway. Maybe I am wrong.

GS

goldenvelope1jr.gifbronzestar.jpg
"What do I need to do right now to take good care of myself?" :flowers:

#5 James23

James23

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 07:03 AM

Trace is right. One more thing, but this is just my theory.... I think that long-term stress, unrelenting, can change the brain's chemistry so that the neurons etc. dont work like they should anymore and you need medication to make them work properly. Yeah, it does seem to be needed for life in that case, so far as I can see anyway. Maybe I am wrong.

GS

In my view there are 3 types of depression..

1. situational depression - temporary, usually grieving over a loss

2. clinical depression - caused by a chemical inbalances

3. behavioural depression - where depression becomes a learnt behaviour

#6 americandownunder

americandownunder

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 07:07 AM

I think there's spiritual depression as well - your mind and body telling you that something needs to be addressed in your spiritual life - not religious life - this is about your spirit, your soul - and the care of it.

I don't think that all people with clinical depression need to be on meds their whole life.
Midway on our life's journey, I found myself
in dark woods, the right road lost.
To speak about those woods is hard,
so tangled and rough and savage
that thinking about it now
I feel the old fear stirring.
Death is hardly more bitter.

-Dante

#7 kney10

kney10

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 12:25 PM

Hi Painfulsoul

Depression is different for everyone. There is clinical depression, which is a chemical imbalance in the brain and there need not be a reason to feel depressed. There is situational depression, which is caused by a break up, trauma or death, etc.

Trace

My question is how do they know there is an imbalance in your brain?? Is there some sort of test to be done or do they just go by what you tell them??
I am just curious. And how long is the situational depression supposed to last or is there no set time?

#8 Trace

Trace

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 52,085 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 05:34 AM

Hi Painfulsoul

Trace

My question is how do they know there is an imbalance in your brain?? Is there some sort of test to be done or do they just go by what you tell them??
I am just curious. And how long is the situational depression supposed to last or is there no set time?

Hi and Welcome Kney

A chemical imbalance in the brain is more often than not enough serotonin in the brain. Medication helps as it helps balance out the serotonin levels.
Situational depression depends on what the situation is and the person that has suffered the situational depression, some can last a long time, if it has been something pretty traumatic.

Trace
Listen in deep silence. Be very still and open your mind.... Sink deep into the peace that waits for you beyond the frantic, riotous thoughts and sights and sounds of this insane world. - A course of miracles.

Posted Image

#9 wigo

wigo

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 07:04 PM

are people sad and depressed without a reason, or without being able to identify the reason

it is worth researching whether there is a subconscious reason that causes depression

Depression - mental state
Sadness - short-term emotion
Grief - longer term emotional state

what is the difference between a mental state and emotional state? you mean depression is a thought disorder and not an emotional disorder?

also, I don't think the differences are just in the duration, differences between depression and normal sadness and grief have to do with the quality and intensity of the feelings, also the accompanying symptoms

behavioural depression - where depression becomes a learnt behaviour

how can one "learn" depression? by exposing the person to negative way of thinking and to stressful events? many people grow up in very negative situations but they don't end up with depression

depression is not a healthy reaction to stressful experiences or teachings, human is supposed to overcome or adjust (if cannot avoid) negative situations and maintain his functionality in order to survive

if someone ends up with depression, it is not due to the negative influences and experiences, but due to his ineffective way to cope with them and this inefficiency must have genetic/neuroanatomical/neurochemical background because a healthy brain's natural orientation is to overcome/bypass anything negative and focus on survival and satisfaction, that is nature, that is life

#10 Lulu89

Lulu89

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 05:09 PM

Hi Painfulsoul

Trace

Hi Trace,

Clinical depression doesn't necessarily require lifelong medication. I treated mine for many years with strenuous exercise -- I found being in really good shape eliminated my mood swings and made my depressive episodes shorter and much more manageable. Also, whether or not you go on medication can depend on your tolerance for being depressed. During periods when I hadn't had a major depressive episode for a while, I found I adapted to my dysthymia and developed strategies for shaking off the blues if my mood dipped too low.

I'm not saying my way is best because it definitely isn't for everyone -- it's no even for me ALL the time. But I don't think anyone should feel like being medicated is anything other than a choice -- even if they have been diagnosed. Sometimes simply saying "I choose to be sad" or "I choose to be medicated" can put depression in its place. Doesn't make it go away, but it may make it more maneagable.

#11 zero0ne

zero0ne

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 06:28 AM

Hi. I'm wondering why do people **** themselves?

#12 Bradoonee

Bradoonee

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 09:45 PM

GS

In my view there are 3 types of depression..

1. situational depression - temporary, usually grieving over a loss

2. clinical depression - caused by a chemical inbalances

3. behavioural depression - where depression becomes a learnt behaviour

Ha ha and what about the forth i.e. all 3?

I would say mine was a steady increase of negativity, social anxiety, obsessive thinking, analysis and situational. I'd mainly say it was situational though leading to some sort of biological/learnt shift in behaviour/thinking I guess.

I think the mind learns depression if that makes sense. It becomes like a new self almost so unlearning it is the challenge essentially.

#13 Bradoonee

Bradoonee

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 09:46 PM

I think there's spiritual depression as well - your mind and body telling you that something needs to be addressed in your spiritual life - not religious life - this is about your spirit, your soul - and the care of it.

I don't think that all people with clinical depression need to be on meds their whole life.

I ****** hope not lol! I would just like a "forget the last year" button thanks!

#14 Bradoonee

Bradoonee

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 09:56 PM

Sometimes simply saying "I choose to be sad" or "I choose to be medicated" can put depression in its place. Doesn't make it go away, but it may make it more maneagable.

Yeah, I'd definitely chime with that.

Often when it gets really unpleasant all one can do is just say well I'm cool with it. I haven't yet found a way of managing 'it' I'll confess. When I'm feeling low man I swear I do wonder how on earth I find the will to survice but somehow I do. Right now I'm feeling particularly s***ty and I was yesterday but bizarrely I felt pretty calm most of today. The frustrating thing is it never seems to last. I seem to always run out of Serotonin then I'll get a really down period and then I'll feel okay again for whatever time my mind happens to let me. Right now it does very much feel like out of my control.

I think I need to start to get my mind engaged in many activities again because that certainly helps and I've kinda let that slip in the past few days a bit to my detriment.

#15 ocarina

ocarina

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 02:39 PM

I ****** hope not lol! I would just like a "forget the last year" button thanks!

Me too! Just let me hit "reset" on this latest depressive episode please :laugh:
Melancholic depression, 3 severe episodes, feel pretty good in between episodes though. Currently on 2.5 mg/day Lexapro and supplementing with fish oil, vitamins, tyrosine, exercise and light box. Whew!

Any advice I offer is just that - advice and opinions. I have no degrees that are at all related to the medical field.

#16 nickyc

nickyc

• PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 05:43 PM

I think this thread is a huge can of worms because no one knows the exact cause of depression. Yes, depression is a chemical imbalance which is caused by many things, e.g. excessive stress, bereavement etc. Medication is used to manage these chemical levels so you are able to cope. My view is that your nurture and your attitude influences depression.

Edited by nickyc, 27 December 2010 - 05:44 PM.

#17 Shaun_Fisher

Shaun_Fisher

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 06:52 AM

Hi

I've been reading some of your ideas of the causes of depression.
In many cases, particularly adolescents, self-esteem has a major part to play in depression.
Conflictions between the "real self" and the "ideal self", setting standards that are too high and being unrealistic in your self-expectations are involved in low self esteem!!
But of course, there are lists of things that influence depression, like as mentioned: low levels of serotonin, lack of exercise, lack of social interactions or lack of wanting social interactions and various negative attitudes.
My advice: get a professional to help you address the problem of depression and work at defeating it.
Depression can blur your self evaluation; even if you find the problem, how are you going to go about solving it??
Thus, analysing yourself on your own is useless...at least get a friend to help and encourage you on making the right steps.
But thats just my personal opinion...

Shaun

#18 ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 05:23 PM

Hi Painfulsoul

Trace

I think I might have asked this before.... I would like to know the test that measures the 'chemical imbalance in the brain' I think it would be a very important test for myself and my family members to do.

Thank you,
Art

Edited by ArtVandelay, 24 March 2011 - 05:23 PM.

"....it's been indoctrinated into the culture and TV advertising to the point where people believe it as fact."

"We occasionally stumble over the truth but most of us pick ourselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."

#19 lindahurt

lindahurt

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 13,474 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 06:21 PM

Hi Painfulsoul

Trace

I think I might have asked this before.... I would like to know the test that measures the 'chemical imbalance in the brain' I think it would be a very important test for myself and my family members to do.

Thank you,
Art

I think a neurologist can help you with this question.

Lindahurt
Even in the most horrific of situations, one's attitude has an enormous role in shaping what happens ~ Viktor Frankl
In you lies the power to choose, to commit - Stephen Convey

The kind of person you want to become is greatly influence by your inner decisions, and not from outside influence alone. We can even under adverse circumstances, decide what shall become of us ~ Brian C. Stiller

Posted Image

#20 Guest_lucyvp_*

Guest_lucyvp_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2011 - 06:26 PM

Hi Painfulsoul

Trace

Thank you,
Art

With your superior knowledge of neurology, Art, I'm wondering whether that might be a future career direction for you.

I also want to take this time to thank the DF moderators for their tireless voluntary work on our behalf. They deserve our utmost respect....

lucyvp

#21 ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:38 PM

Hi Painfulsoul

Trace

Thank you,
Art

With your superior knowledge of neurology, Art, I'm wondering whether that might be a future career direction for you.

I also want to take this time to thank the DF moderators for their tireless voluntary work on our behalf. They deserve our utmost respect....

lucyvp

Umm, I do not have any superior knowledge of neurology. I am just searching for answers that would help my family members and myself. I apologize I came across the wrong way, I didn't mean to. I want to learn and understand what I have been dealing with, and to help others. Yes, I agree Lucy, volunteering is a noble act, to give and help others. The absolute last thing I would ever want to do is disrespect anyone.

God Bless
"....it's been indoctrinated into the culture and TV advertising to the point where people believe it as fact."

"We occasionally stumble over the truth but most of us pick ourselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."

#22 Trace

Trace

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 52,085 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 03:57 AM

Hi Painfulsoul

Trace

Thank you,
Art

Lindahurt

Hi Art

This is not a question we can answer. None of us are professionals. You will need to talk to a psychiatrist, a neurologist or a neurochemist.
As far as I am aware of there is no "test", which is why depression and various mental illness's are hard to diagnose.
Clinical depression is an imbalance in the brain. IE, out of whack seratonin and dopamine levels. By seeing a psychiatrist who is trained in dealing with MI issues you can get to the bottom of it.
Family history is taken and extensive evaluation is done, various meds are tried. The right med for the right person will help put the chemical imbalance's right and that can help in lifting and leveling moods and the likes.

Trace

Posted Image

#23 ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 11:29 AM

Hi Painfulsoul

Trace

Thank you,
Art

Lindahurt

Hi Art

This is not a question we can answer. None of us are professionals. You will need to talk to a psychiatrist, a neurologist or a neurochemist.
As far as I am aware of there is no "test", which is why depression and various mental illness's are hard to diagnose.
Clinical depression is an imbalance in the brain. IE, out of whack seratonin and dopamine levels. By seeing a psychiatrist who is trained in dealing with MI issues you can get to the bottom of it.
Family history is taken and extensive evaluation is done, various meds are tried. The right med for the right person will help put the chemical imbalance's right and that can help in lifting and leveling moods and the likes.

Trace

With all due respect, please ask any psychiatrist (or read the DSM IV) about the chemical imbalance issue. It is a theory, it has not been proven to be factual.

Thanks,
Art

Edited by ArtVandelay, 02 September 2011 - 11:30 AM.

#24 funchas

funchas

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 09:09 AM

Hi Painfulsoul

Trace

Thank you,
Art

Lindahurt

Hi Art

Trace

With all due respect, please ask any psychiatrist (or read the DSM IV) about the chemical imbalance issue. It is a theory, it has not been proven to be factual.

Thanks,
Art

It's a pretty good theory though, and it helps to remind people that it's not our fault for having depression in the first place, which is something many of us with depression already do on a regular basis.

Plus I don't think the DSM really bothers itself too much in the regards to the reasons behind most psychological/mental disorders to begin with. It just lists some of the symptoms and other general guidelines for diagnosis... though it's sometimes a bit incomplete in that regard on some matters. But I could be wrong-- it's been a while since I had to know stuff about it.. ;)

What theory do you subscribe to in regards to what causes depression and other psychological disorders? Not trying to be mean or anything-- I'm just curious. :)

Edited by funchas, 04 September 2011 - 09:09 AM.

#25 LifeAtZen

LifeAtZen

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 04:25 PM

There are numerous reasons behind depression, although the parental and nutritional impact are the most primary. Parents, even in the most subtle of ways, can encourage depression within their children.
The foods we eat, full of sugar and grains, are void of many helpful nutrients and substances.

The answers lie in our childhood.
"Let your food be your medicine, and your medicine be your food." - Hippocrates

#26 FeelinBlueAllTheTime

FeelinBlueAllTheTime

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 02:18 PM

I believe that there is no definite answer to this question because depression can be caused by a number of factors.

In my case, it is partly due to heredity. My paternal grandmother suffered from schizophrenia and depression.

I also was a victim of bullying, abuse, and racial discrimination for a long time. That contributed to my downward spiral.

I was premature at birth with a very low birth weight. I have a few cognitive disabilities as well. I have read studies that link depression to some of the factors I've mentioned.

There are many different reasons behind depression. Not everyone experiences the same symptoms. It could be triggered by a chemical imbalance for one person and painful life experiences for another.

#27 ForeverLove

ForeverLove

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:16 PM

It can depend on the person. For me, I think it was because of my parents divorce.

#28 vzlacuttie

vzlacuttie

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 03:15 PM

I agree on what you said...thanks

Hi

I've been reading some of your ideas of the causes of depression.
In many cases, particularly adolescents, self-esteem has a major part to play in depression.
Conflictions between the "real self" and the "ideal self", setting standards that are too high and being unrealistic in your self-expectations are involved in low self esteem!!
But of course, there are lists of things that influence depression, like as mentioned: low levels of serotonin, lack of exercise, lack of social interactions or lack of wanting social interactions and various negative attitudes.
My advice: get a professional to help you address the problem of depression and work at defeating it.
Depression can blur your self evaluation; even if you find the problem, how are you going to go about solving it??
Thus, analysing yourself on your own is useless...at least get a friend to help and encourage you on making the right steps.
But thats just my personal opinion...

Shaun

#29 meistersinger

meistersinger

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:17 PM

There are many different reasons. First, is it because of disease like hyper or hypothyroid, diabetes, lupus, etc. If not, is it because of the situation you are in. Third, is it because of some past hurt? Finally, is it hereditary?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users