Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Citalopram And Acne

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wackycat

wackycat

Just Registered

ID: 35009

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 07:17 AM

I have been on these types of medication for a couple of years. I had a brain scan that determined problems in my frontal lobes (ADHD). I used to get angry (super irate) for no particular reason and was especially good at throwing things at random or having public displays of temper tantrums... (very embarrassing).

I was happy with a diagnosis that explained my abnormal behaviour... but that was just the first step in getting fixed. I went on Effexor and found the change in me amazing. I loved my new life coping skills... however, I started to get massive cystic acne. This depressed me a lot. I put up with them for a year because I was otherwise doing so very well... but they got worse... to a point where I had to stop effexor. My doc changed me to Citalopram. This, I'm finding is sufficient. Not as good, but sufficient at keeping me more level headed.

I've been on citalopram for over a year now. The cystic acne stopped, but smaller pimples took their place. I thought this was a more reasonable trade off. But now I'm getting acne scarring and there's constantly big red welts on my face. As I'm 33, I find it hard to go out in pubic when it's bad.

Has anyone else has these problems from this medication? Is there a solution or alternative medication?

#2 John_in_SF

John_in_SF

ID: 34623

• PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 12:00 PM

Acne is recognized as an infrequent side effect of citalopram. I noticed that when I started citalopram, I got a lot of pimples on my face, but that effect has gone away after a few weeks.

If citalopram is working, you could try other SSRIs. Many patients report fewer side effects with Lexapro, which is a refined version of citalopram. This is really a question for your doctor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users