Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Zoloft 25mg

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 blackdog22

blackdog22

ID: 34365

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 12:48 PM

Is there anyone on the board that has been successful treating their anxiety/depression with a 25 mg zoloft dosage?

I've been on 25mg of z for 13 days. Things seem to be headed in the right direction, but the anxiety (muscle tension, fear and flight response, stomach pains) is still with me. I'm only taking .5 ativan a day at the most. I know it will take mor etime, but I don't want to waste time if I'll have to increase at some point anyway.

I would like to work through this on the lowest dose. I am also fearful about increased side effects again as I would move to 50mg.

Positives please....

#2 crazeedee

crazeedee

ID: 34495

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 04:27 PM

Is there anyone on the board that has been successful treating their anxiety/depression with a 25 mg zoloft dosage?

I've been on 25mg of z for 13 days. Things seem to be headed in the right direction, but the anxiety (muscle tension, fear and flight response, stomach pains) is still with me. I'm only taking .5 ativan a day at the most. I know it will take mor etime, but I don't want to waste time if I'll have to increase at some point anyway.

I would like to work through this on the lowest dose. I am also fearful about increased side effects again as I would move to 50mg.

Positives please....

Hey Blackdog,
What does your doc think about upping the dosage? I was fearful going to 50mg becuaseof all the side effects, but when I did the sleep got a little bit better and my muscle tension finally was gone after the 5 week mark (3 weeks @50mg). I had muscle tension so bad in my shoulders it felt like they were burning. I had acupuncture to help woth the pain and it did. IT is weird because I am still jittery, but no with the mental anxiety.

#3 blackdog22

blackdog22

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:29 AM

Thanks for keeping in contact crazeedee-
I have not talked with my GP. I'm sure if I say I want to go to 50mg it would be just fine, my choice. I should use Pdoc however, I never found one I liked and I was on zoloft several years back. That is the disfficult part I don't remember it being like this.

I agree about the muscle tension this is my main side effect right now. I can't get my shoulders to relax and not being up to my ears. Also, tension headaches that aree very severe. I thought all this was because of reducing the ativan to almost nothing a day. I thought all this extreme tension was aside effect of coming of the ativan. But maybe as you say it's still the zoloft and underlying anxiety coming through. My anxiety seems to have increased again. Maybe it's because it's monday? But I had a psuedo panick attack Saturday night and I'm getting alot of waves of anxiety in the early morning. The warm sweats that wave over my body along with the fearful thoughts and shakey legs and arms.

I think I will increase to 37.5 this week, although I don't want the side effects to increase...I have increased back on the ativan to take some edge off, although I don't think it is fully effective anymore at .25 or .5.

what to do?

Positives please....

Hey Blackdog,
What does your doc think about upping the dosage? I was fearful going to 50mg becuaseof all the side effects, but when I did the sleep got a little bit better and my muscle tension finally was gone after the 5 week mark (3 weeks @50mg). I had muscle tension so bad in my shoulders it felt like they were burning. I had acupuncture to help woth the pain and it did. IT is weird because I am still jittery, but no with the mental anxiety.

#4 crazeedee

crazeedee

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:50 AM

Hi Blackdog,

Well I broke down and called my doc and she wants to see me today. I can't stop shaking my legs or jumping when I am standing up. I feel like my boday is crazy and my mind is sane now. I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

#5 blackdog22

blackdog22

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:11 AM

scary... keep me posted. Are you on generic (I don't know if I believe any truth to any difference)
Are things getting worse? hang in there.

Hi Blackdog,

Well I broke down and called my doc and she wants to see me today. I can't stop shaking my legs or jumping when I am standing up. I feel like my boday is crazy and my mind is sane now. I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

#6 roro123

roro123

ID: 34747

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 10:09 AM

Hi Blackdog and crazeedee...

Blackdog keep it up and keep us posted..

Crazeedee I am so sorry for what you are going through now...
please take care and discuss everything with your dc. and keep us posted so we can cheer you up...

Good luck everyone

#7 crazeedee

crazeedee

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 03:25 PM

please take care and discuss everything with your dc. and keep us posted so we can cheer you up...

Good luck everyone

Hey guys,

My doctor is tapering down my dosage. She thinks it has made my Hypomania (mildly. The constant need to tap my foot or shake my leg is disturbing. Roro123, since you quit taking did your leg shaking stop? I am fearful that it will never go away. I have a great doctor who is very experienced in this area, soI need to trust her. She thinks I am sensitive to the "z" so I might function at a lower dose. Thanks for all your support.

#8 roro123

roro123

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 11:11 PM

Good luck everyone

Hey guys,

My doctor is tapering down my dosage. She thinks it has made my Hypomania (mildly. The constant need to tap my foot or shake my leg is disturbing. Roro123, since you quit taking did your leg shaking stop? I am fearful that it will never go away. I have a great doctor who is very experienced in this area, soI need to trust her. She thinks I am sensitive to the "z" so I might function at a lower dose. Thanks for all your support.

dear don't worry, I really was scared to stop zoloft since I heard about the bad withdrawl but dr tapered my dose and honestly next day I felt
different person and back old me....started to eat and shaking almost disappeared and more energy...
When we are in the middle of the problem we think it will never end but beleive me you will notice the positive difference more quickly than you could imagine.

take care and keep us posted...

#9 blackdog22

blackdog22

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 08:31 AM

I hope the both of you are doing well (as can be). roro it sounds like you are getting some energy and appetite back. crazeedee I'm sure lowering the dose will be more comfortable. I just raised my dose slightly last night (part of a pill around 30 -35 mg) I'm so cautious to increase. This morning I'm already more shaky, it may be more in my head than I think. That is such the difficult part of this all. Which is the drugs and which is our underlying anxiety.

I can't figure it all out, but I need to get my life back. Patience I know it's onlty been 2 1/2 weeks at 25mg.

crazeedee what is the dosage options for you? are you still on something to take the edge off?

#10 crazeedee

crazeedee

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 12:04 PM

hello everyone...last night was miserable, had to take .5 mg xanax and only got 4 hours sleep. My doctor wants me to go off the zoloft and try Lamictal. I feel like I am jumping outof my skin with the shaking leg. I have reduced my dose of zoloft for 2 days and feel worse. I didn't think that was possible.

#11 blackdog22

blackdog22

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 12:36 PM

hello everyone...last night was miserable, had to take .5 mg xanax and only got 4 hours sleep. My doctor wants me to go off the zoloft and try Lamictal. I feel like I am jumping outof my skin with the shaking leg. I have reduced my dose of zoloft for 2 days and feel worse. I didn't think that was possible.

I'm SO sorry for you crazeedee. I think so much is the underlying anxiety coming through. All these changes and feelings just won't give you a break and keep the cycle going. Try to relax and know things WILL return to a level place where you can cope better. I know this is easier said than done. If you have a good relationship with your Dr. trust them and take the small steps. BREATH.....

#12 crazeedee

crazeedee

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 05:27 PM

I'm SO sorry for you crazeedee. I think so much is the underlying anxiety coming through. All these changes and feelings just won't give you a break and keep the cycle going. Try to relax and know things WILL return to a level place where you can cope better. I know this is easier said than done. If you have a good relationship with your Dr. trust them and take the small steps. BREATH.....

My doc is great and very experienced in this field...however...now that I have been doing some research on my symptoms and with her recommendation of taking Lamactil, I think iI might be Bipolar 2. She all but described it yesterday, and Zoloft has a tendency to bring out Bipolar. Whoopee. It sounds terrible, doesn't it?

I really want to thank you for your encouragement. I'll keep checking this site to see how your progressing.

#13 roro123

roro123

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:16 AM

crazeedee... you know what?? don't even think it is bepolar... think that zoloft is not for you and full-stop!
sometimes thinking of something bad make u belive it's true even if it's not..specially psychological stuff...

My doctor stoped zoloft for me and didn't replace it yet because I was having horrible side effects which worsen by time and told me that this is just not for me and my body is so sensitive in general for any meds...

take care and keep thinking positive..

God bless u and save u from this struggles soon..

#14 crazeedee

crazeedee

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:17 AM

crazeedee... you know what?? don't even think it is bepolar... think that zoloft is not for you and full-stop!
sometimes thinking of something bad make u belive it's true even if it's not..specially psychological stuff...

My doctor stoped zoloft for me and didn't replace it yet because I was having horrible side effects which worsen by time and told me that this is just not for me and my body is so sensitive in general for any meds...

I am going to go totally of the Zoloft before starting anything else. I slept well last night without any other med help :). Still have the shaking leg, but not as bad as 2 days ago. I was like a live wire. As for the new med, it is mostly given to bipolar people, but also for people who cannot take SSRI's. I don't think I am bipolar, but there is a mild form of it that sounds like my symptoms. Zoloft can bring it on.

I am thinking positive even though it has been unbearable at times, God is always with me.

Thank you roro!

#15 Ajumbledmess

Ajumbledmess

ID: 7815

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 09:10 PM

I am going to go totally of the Zoloft before starting anything else. I slept well last night without any other med help :). Still have the shaking leg, but not as bad as 2 days ago. I was like a live wire. As for the new med, it is mostly given to bipolar people, but also for people who cannot take SSRI's. I don't think I am bipolar, but there is a mild form of it that sounds like my symptoms. Zoloft can bring it on.

I am thinking positive even though it has been unbearable at times, God is always with me.

Thank you roro!

Your being a great patient and a good trooper through all this. i hope whatever meds you go on works well for you

Posted ImageAjumbledmessPosted Image

"Sometimes we need to hurt in order to grow we must fail in order to know we must lose in order to gain some lessons are learned best through pain."

#16 roro123

roro123

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:41 AM

Hi again :)

I am wondering how you are doing today?
I am zoloft off and started my homeopathic and herbal treatment lol....

tell me how are you now?

#17 toots_83

toots_83

ID: 91

• PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 03:16 AM

Hi guys, I am wondering the same thing. Is 25mg enough? I know its a bit early for me cause I'm only on my 5th day. But I don't feel ANYTHING. My symptoms are still with me and it hasn't done anything for my panic/OCD. But I also don't feel side effects like drowsiness, nausea, loss of appetite or heightened anxiety. Is it not working for me or do I need to give it more time?

#18 starr

starr

Silver Member

ID: 1886

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 04:46 PM

Hi,

I am on 50mg of zoloft and doing really well. Of
course I am also on 100mg of wellbutrin and 5 mg of
abilify along with it. This combo has me feeling
the best I ever have so I plan to stick with it!

best wishes,
starr

#19 itsjustmoi

itsjustmoi

ID: 45460

• PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:34 PM

I definitely think 25 mg can be therapeutic for some people. For me, it's all I can handle as the start-up effects of Zoloft are brutal for me, so I'm slowly getting myself to a higher dose.

#20 Joyce

Joyce

ID: 18983

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:22 PM

I took zoloft last summer for a few months and stopped as I tought my anxiety symptom wasnt under control. I had difficulty breathing and tought it was the med that didnt work. I was at 25mg and was doing fine but than when I went up to 50mg, I didnt feel that great.

Turned out I have allergies. I was tested this last winter (after I stopped the zoloft). I am allergic to cats and dogs and have 2 cats which I refuse to get rid of and I can control the sneezing, runny nose and watery eyes easily with aerius but I also have asthma related allergies. So, now I take flovent and ventolin.

I like the zoloft as the side effects are not bad and I had lost weight. I am on effexor but with it I had gained lots of weight plus with the flovent now it doesnt help as that does make you gain some weight too.

I am going to see my psychiatrist on November 3rd and will ask him to get me back on zoloft 25mg. I will see how it goes.

Joyce
Posted Image

#21 Bradoonee

Bradoonee

ID: 50850

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:02 PM

Positives please....

Blackdog22 if you don't like Zoloft's side effect then it might worth giving St John's Wort a try. Personally I don't rate SSRIs from my own experience. I believe there's a very strong placebo element and most likely what they do is stabilise you 'cause they sure as hell ain't gonna treat depression that you have to do by getting out there and getting on with stuff.

I was taking Sertraline (50mg) and I would say at best it was okay. After 8 weeks was when it really seemed to fully take effect. Did it solves my problems I don't really think so. Did it stabilise my mood yeah I probably say so even though depending how you are expect to have on and off days. Anyways the way it f'd with my Libido I didn't appreciate at all hence the reason I switched to St John's Wort and to be honest I don't feel any fundamental loss from not being on Sertraline anymore.

Anyways so food for thought for ya! :cool:

Peace.

Edited by Bradoonee, 20 October 2010 - 10:03 PM.

#22 FindingTruth

FindingTruth

ID: 53978

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 11:28 PM

Positives please....

I take 50 mg and up to 75 mg when times are tougher...if you're needing more adivan or not feeling relief, I'd up the zoloft or ask your doctor about it. The anxiety is certainly relieved by the higher zoloft...it helps me to at least control the "oh my gosh I'm so sad and can't stop thinking" feeling. I haven't had any side effects with zoloft and have been on a few others that have made things worse. It's worth talking to your doctor about.

#23 gerrib

gerrib

Just Registered

ID: 52694

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 05:58 AM

25 mg seems to be right for me. At 50mg I was getting itchy. At one stage I think I went up to 100 and I seemed to be hallucinating when I closed my eyes to try to sleep. But I couldn't sleep with high doses. Also experienced urgency to use bowels not really diarrhoea. Now taking 25 mg my mood has lifted and I don't experience any side effects. I started Z about 2 months ago and it took about 6 weeks to have the desired effect. I was increasing dose in the early stages as I wasn't feeling as though it was working on my depression. Funnily enough i felt great relief from anxiety after the first dose. Now my depression has lifted too.

#24 ocarina

ocarina

Silver Member

ID: 40494

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:07 AM

25 mg seems to be right for me. At 50mg I was getting itchy. At one stage I think I went up to 100 and I seemed to be hallucinating when I closed my eyes to try to sleep. But I couldn't sleep with high doses. Also experienced urgency to use bowels not really diarrhoea. Now taking 25 mg my mood has lifted and I don't experience any side effects. I started Z about 2 months ago and it took about 6 weeks to have the desired effect. I was increasing dose in the early stages as I wasn't feeling as though it was working on my depression. Funnily enough i felt great relief from anxiety after the first dose. Now my depression has lifted too.

Hi and :welcomeani:

I am really glad that the Z is working for you and at such a low dose! No need to take anything higher than 25 if that seems to be doing it for you. Isn't it a miracle when the drugs work like they're supposed to?

Just to add to the thread in general - my brother used 25 mg Zoloft successfully for a while, he didn't like how he felt at the higher dose. (He's now off meds.)
Melancholic depression, 3 severe episodes, feel pretty good in between episodes though. Currently on 2.5 mg/day Lexapro and supplementing with fish oil, vitamins, tyrosine, exercise and light box. Whew!

Any advice I offer is just that - advice and opinions. I have no degrees that are at all related to the medical field.

#25 mgafkjen

mgafkjen

ID: 47582

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 07:52 PM

I have been taking 25 mg of Zoloft for about a month now. I'm finally over the side effects and this are going really well. I'm not as depressed and I don't worry about anything! I feel extremely laid back now and nothing bothers me!

I had some pretty yucky side effects for the first 3 weeks but they are pretty much gone now. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users