Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

19 Days Mirtazapine 30mg How Long Until Full Effect?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_beaches09_*

Guest_beaches09_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2009 - 03:26 AM

Hey guys what's up I am new to the forum :)

I have atypical severe depression with some possible other things. I've taken lots of different kinds of meds in the past that helped but at the same time causing other problems. In a last try effort to give a new thing one more try before going to an MAOI I wanted to give this med a go.

So it's been almost 3 weeks on the 30mg of Mirtazapine.

Week 1 - First few days slept all the time, then I started to get warm fussy feelings of peace, love, and happiness a kind of feeling I haven't felt in 7 years. Also I got another kind of energizing feeling that I haven't felt since I was 12 years old. These feelings came in flashes now and then but nothing stable yet.
I also started working out again and had good energy which I haven't done in a couple years.

Week 2 - No effects at all. I took an antibiotic that week so is that possible it could have interfered?

Week 3 - I tried increasing the dose to 45mg for 2 days and it made me feel really crappy and also made me toss and turn and not sleep, so I dropped back to 30mg. So then I felt like crap for a few days. Today I think it may start to be picking up again.

But I am also noticing this other thing. Occassionaly now I get these feelings of yuckyness is the best way I can describe. Like a feeling when certain things in your life aren't right, well I'm noticing I'm feeling the effects of those things more. Things in my life are very crappy right now so of course one would expect to feel crappy. But I'm wondering. Is the med making me feel even crappier or is it just making me FEEL more in general where as before I had found a way to turn those feelings off? Does this make any sense I hope so.

It is different from an SSRI because an SSRI would just make me HAPPY no matter what was going on in my life. Which isn't necessarily a good thing as we need some negative reinforcement to enable us to make positive decisions. But at the same time I really liked feeling happy and uninhibited and free.

Is this med going to make me feel happy, uninhibited, and free like an SSRI does? I've also developed some social anxiety because of my depression and it's bascially put my once extremely social and happy life to a complete non-existant one. Do you guys think Mirtazapine can help with this too?

I'd be happy to just go back to an SSRI if this doesn't work, but I did that for years and suffered a HORRIBLE sex life because of it and no matter how depressed I am now that is just the one thing I cannot part with so if this med can work for me it will be a godsend!

I know most meds take 6-8 weeks. I've heard this med kicks in sooner and since I feel I am still depressed it worrys me that it's not working. Are those happy flashes good signs of what the med will be like in a few more weeks? What do you guys think? I know I very much may add Wellbutrin as an augment because I have major motivation and ADD type problems too, but before I do I want to make sure I like this med first before I go mixing things.

Please help thank you!

Edited by beaches09, 20 March 2009 - 03:39 AM.

#2 gato1111

gato1111

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 01:35 PM

Hey guys what's up I am new to the forum :)

I have atypical severe depression with some possible other things. I've taken lots of different kinds of meds in the past that helped but at the same time causing other problems. In a last try effort to give a new thing one more try before going to an MAOI I wanted to give this med a go.

So it's been almost 3 weeks on the 30mg of Mirtazapine.

Week 1 - First few days slept all the time, then I started to get warm fussy feelings of peace, love, and happiness a kind of feeling I haven't felt in 7 years. Also I got another kind of energizing feeling that I haven't felt since I was 12 years old. These feelings came in flashes now and then but nothing stable yet.
I also started working out again and had good energy which I haven't done in a couple years.

Week 2 - No effects at all. I took an antibiotic that week so is that possible it could have interfered?

Week 3 - I tried increasing the dose to 45mg for 2 days and it made me feel really crappy and also made me toss and turn and not sleep, so I dropped back to 30mg. So then I felt like crap for a few days. Today I think it may start to be picking up again.

But I am also noticing this other thing. Occassionaly now I get these feelings of yuckyness is the best way I can describe. Like a feeling when certain things in your life aren't right, well I'm noticing I'm feeling the effects of those things more. Things in my life are very crappy right now so of course one would expect to feel crappy. But I'm wondering. Is the med making me feel even crappier or is it just making me FEEL more in general where as before I had found a way to turn those feelings off? Does this make any sense I hope so.

It is different from an SSRI because an SSRI would just make me HAPPY no matter what was going on in my life. Which isn't necessarily a good thing as we need some negative reinforcement to enable us to make positive decisions. But at the same time I really liked feeling happy and uninhibited and free.

Is this med going to make me feel happy, uninhibited, and free like an SSRI does? I've also developed some social anxiety because of my depression and it's bascially put my once extremely social and happy life to a complete non-existant one. Do you guys think Mirtazapine can help with this too?

I'd be happy to just go back to an SSRI if this doesn't work, but I did that for years and suffered a HORRIBLE sex life because of it and no matter how depressed I am now that is just the one thing I cannot part with so if this med can work for me it will be a godsend!

I know most meds take 6-8 weeks. I've heard this med kicks in sooner and since I feel I am still depressed it worrys me that it's not working. Are those happy flashes good signs of what the med will be like in a few more weeks? What do you guys think? I know I very much may add Wellbutrin as an augment because I have major motivation and ADD type problems too, but before I do I want to make sure I like this med first before I go mixing things.

Please help thank you!

Hi Beaches:

For me Remeron was pretty promising the first week, then spotty in effect. I went up to 30 mg and added 5 mg Lexpro. Huge diifference. You should check with your PDOC about dose adjustment. If you feel uncomfortable, be the squeaky wheel. In other words, they are not going to check on you to see if you are doing well, you have to initiate the contact. Very Best to you! Gato1111

#3 banyantree

banyantree

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 11:16 AM

hey - i know this is super old but i came across this in google as a top result when i had a quick search for what i remembered about taking mirtazapine.

my experience was SO similar to yours. one amazing and pretty psychedelic week, then a really sudden conk-out, dead - no more effects at all. like you i thought i'd done something wrong - thought something was interfering with the medication. eventually realised it was just the way things go for some people on mirtazapine.

i have a feeling i might've gone through the horrors too, which is interesting. anyway that's another story - i just wanted to add something to a page that others might well be reading. if mirtazapine stops working after a week, it's not your fault - go back to your doctor ASAP as you might be at risk, depending on the form of your depression (i.e. whether you're prone to suicidal ideation when your mood crashes, basically). repeat: it's not your fault! good luck to all.

#4 take2

take2

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:48 PM

I'm at day 16 and haven't noticed much if any upswing. I'm still isolating, though my mood isn't quite as black as I've had it before. I've heard it can work within 2 weeks, but I have to say, I'm not seeing it. My pdoc scheduled me back at 3 weeks after starting, so I'm gathering he expects to see something either way.

I'm not having much in the way of side effects. Drugged me out completely first couple of times, but now I take 30 mg at bedtime and it takes quite some time to feel tired -- enough that I'm not sure if I'm sleepy because of the drug or just falling asleep naturally. I will say that last few days I feel like my sleep has been off a bit, like I'm not falling into any deep sleep and constantly waking.

I've had the odd dreams from the beginning but they are nothing to really bother me. But now not sleeping soundly is kind of a problem. It's almost like that strange "sick sleep" you have when you have a cold or flu. No grogginess in the morning, just no motivation to get up.

I've tried a couple of other ADs but for various reasons wanted something new. Remeron definitely has the least side effects, but I'd also say so far anyway, the least effect period.
"In the best kind of affection a man hopes for a new happiness rather than for an escape from an old unhappiness." Betrand Russell

#5 North_to_South

North_to_South

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:18 AM

Hi there,

When I started Remeron/Mirtazapine, it started working almost immediately. I suffered badly from insomnia and it really helped me to sleep almost from day one. My Pdoc told me however, that full effect could take 2-4 weeks to develop, so do give it a bit of extra time...

Regards
North

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users