Advertisement

Scheduled Maintenance:

Please be aware that depressionforums will be down for a short period beginning from 02:00 EST (07:00 GMT) on Sunday 21st December for necessary maintenance. We apologise for the inconvenience and it should only take about 45 minutes.

• No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Effexor and Remeron Combo

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 justamom

justamom

Just Registered

ID: 34117

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:53 PM

I have a 12 year old daughter treated for depression since she was 7. tried PAXIL back then; then Zoloft several years. Effexor (225 mg) several months with Remeron. She was cutting last year. Very smart. Doesn't fit in. Has only one friend left. Counselling seemed to only make her more anxious. Please let me know your experiences with this drug combo.

#2 Mimigalaxy

Mimigalaxy

ID: 33701

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:18 AM

Hi there,
I'm sorry to hear your daughter and yourself are having such a hard time. For me Effexor at 225 mg and Remeron 30 mg taken at night were actually a life saver-the Remeron helped me sleep-finally!-and greatly improved my mood, I also followed psychotherapy sessions during that time. I was suicidal. The major side effects are weight gain and apathy...the weight gain was the hardest one because no matter how little I ate and how much exercise I got-I still gained weight. I'm now off the Remeron and will gradually be going off the Effexor. But it really did help-maybe check about the dosage for her.

I have a 12 year old daughter treated for depression since she was 7. tried PAXIL back then; then Zoloft several years. Effexor (225 mg) several months with Remeron. She was cutting last year. Very smart. Doesn't fit in. Has only one friend left. Counselling seemed to only make her more anxious. Please let me know your experiences with this drug combo.

#3 Sciurus

Sciurus

ID: 35091

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 02:29 PM

I'm on olanzapine 5 mg, Effexor XL 300 mg and started on mirtazapine 15 mg last week. My psychiatrist is hoping the addition of the mirtazapine will pull me out of the depression.

I'm male and in my fifties and suffer from depression. I was diagnosed as, probably, bipolar II last year. I was being treated for depression for about ten years by my family doctor. Only seeing a psychiatrist for about two years. Looking back, I have suffered from depression since childhood.

There has been some improvement on mirtazapine. Fall asleep quickly at night. Morning is a problem. I don't know how long it supposed to take before there is an improvement, I'm guessing weeks rather than days. I was like your daughter, very smart, didn't fit in but it was years before I got professional help

#4 Sciurus

Sciurus

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:42 PM

I'm on olanzapine 5 mg, Effexor XL 300 mg and started on mirtazapine 15 mg last week. My psychiatrist is hoping the addition of the mirtazapine will pull me out of the depression.

I'm male and in my fifties and suffer from depression. I was diagnosed as, probably, bipolar II last year. I was being treated for depression for about ten years by my family doctor. Only seeing a psychiatrist for about two years. Looking back, I have suffered from depression since childhood.

There has been some improvement on mirtazapine. Fall asleep quickly at night. Morning is a problem. I don't know how long it supposed to take before there is an improvement, I'm guessing weeks rather than days. I was like your daughter, very smart, didn't fit in but it was years before I got professional help

Second week on Mirtazapin. Trying to get up at 8:00 am every morning. Yesterday was fine. I felt good for most of the day. Today, I was very sleepy and had to go back to be at about 10:30 am for a couple of hours. Sleepiness gone but mood lower than yesterday.

#5 Sciurus

Sciurus

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:55 AM

Second week on Mirtazapin. Trying to get up at 8:00 am every morning. Yesterday was fine. I felt good for most of the day. Today, I was very sleepy and had to go back to be at about 10:30 am for a couple of hours. Sleepiness gone but mood lower than yesterday.

My mirtazapine has been increased to 30 mg per day since last Thursday. There has been a definite lifting of my mood over the past few days on this dosage

#6 Sciurus

Sciurus

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:23 AM

My mirtazapine has been increased to 30 mg per day since last Thursday. There has been a definite lifting of my mood over the past few days on this dosage

The past week has not been as good as the week before. I'm starting to be very disheartened about breaking out of my current depressive episode. How is your daughter doing?

#7 Sciurus

Sciurus

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 08:08 AM

Saw my doctor last week, 16 July. He has decreased my olanzapine to 2.5 mg and mirtazapine to 30mg. he left venlafaxine at 300 mg. He has started me on lamotragine which will be titrated up.

#8 Bird2E

Bird2E

ID: 559

• PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 12:08 PM

Hey Mom,
Wow, 12 is so young to be treating with these strong, unpredictable drugs! But Mom does know best. My daughter is 18 and just started on Pristq, after many years of depression, anxiety, thoughts of doom, sleep probs.

I was on Effexor and Remeron a few years ago b/c I hoped the combo would help me sleep ---Boy did it ever!! I could have slept around the clock and still be groggy (if I ever woke up). Way, way too sedating. I still have trouble sleeping, but 1/2 of a 0.5 mg Xanax and I'm out.

Have you tried different counselors? I had been in thearpy from my freshman year in college until I was 55 years old......sometimes it takes a while to find the right match.

Bird

It is only when we silent the blaring sounds of our daily existence that we can finally hear the whispers of truth that life reveals to us, as it stands knocking on the doorsteps of our hearts.  ~K.T. Jong

I have had a long, long time to come, finally, to the conclusion that I and only I have control of my mind, soul and body. I CAN and have overcome a lot of (poo-poo caca) to get here and every single second has been worth it.

#9 proton60

proton60

Just Registered

ID: 42977

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 01:58 PM

Hi, I'm on 45mg Mirtazapine, 75mg venlafaxine XL with an added 37.5 booster.
I have found this combination works quite well for me once you get used to the side effects.
Beware of irritability and high blood pressure. I have found that decreasing caffeine intake helps with the former.
Best of luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users