Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Psychiatrist Report/rfc Form

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sadlyhopeless

sadlyhopeless

ID: 33637

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:38 PM

I would like to find out from people who knows a few things about how effective RFC forms are and what is in it. I will list a few things that my doctor wrote down. One other thing he forgot to mention was my OCD, SISP- self-injurious skin picking. This is actually one of my major problems currently. I pick on my skin for hours and hours a day. I can't stop. I have wounds and scars on both my legs and arms from the picking. My doc wanted me to go to day therapy for eating disorder and sisp but I can't find a place that accepts medicaid. Thank you for any advice or infos you can give me.

Frequency and length of contact: once a month since 2/2004

DSM-IV Multitaxial Evaluation:
Axis I Major Depression recurrent + ADD
Axis II None
Axis III Diabetes and Hypertension
Axis IV -
Axis V: Current Gaf- 50
Highest GAF past year: 55

Patient's signs and symptoms:
Anhedonia or pervasive loss of interests
Difficulty thinking or concentrating
Decreased energy
Generalized persistent anxiety

Other symptoms and remarks: Binging and purging

Clinical findings including results of mental status exam which demonstrate the severity of your patient's mental impairment and symptoms:
Sadness + anxiety, low or poor (?arrow down?) energy, low or poor (?arrow down?) concentration, no psychosis, AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT THESE FOLLOWING WORDS ARE: no s/h ideation, o**** x 3, m****** f***, hy*****?

Are your patient's impairments reasonably consistent with the symptoms and functional limitations described in this eval? YES

List of meds and dosage: Prozac, 40mg and Dexedrine, 15mg 3x a day. (I also take Norvasc and Enalapril for hypertension, my physician wouldn't give me diabetes pills right now)

On average, how often do you anticipate that your patient would be absent from work because of impairments and treatment?
More than 3 times a month.

Please rate the patient's capabilities to perform the following basic mental activities of work on a regular and continuing basis (means 8 hours a day for 5 days a week or equivalent work schedule).
Marked Loss

Is ability to understand, remember and carry out instructions affected by the impairment? YES
1. Moderate Loss: understand and remember very short simple instructions, carry out very short and simple instructions, maintain regular attendance and be punctual and make simple work related decisions.
2. Marked Loss: remember locations and work like procedures, understand and remember detailed instructions, carry out detailed instructions, maintain attention and concentration for extended periods, i.e. 2 hour segments, sustain an ordinary routine without special supervision, work in coordination with or proximity to others without being unduly distracted, complete a normal workday or workweek without interruptions from psychologically based symptoms, and perform at a consistent pace without at an unreasonable number or length of rest periods.
3. Extreme Loss: deal with stress of semi-skilled and skilled work.

Is ability to respond appropriately to supervision, coworkers, and work pressure in a work setting affected by impairment? YES
1. Moderate Loss: Interact appropriately with the public, ask simple questions or request assistance, adhere to basic standards of neatness and cleanliness.
2. Marked Loss: get along with coworkers and peers without unduly distracting them or exhibiting behavioral extremes, maintain socially appropriate behavior, respond appropriately to changes in a routine work setting, be aware of normal hazards and take appropriate precautions, travel in unfamiliar places, use public transportation, set realistic goals or make plans independently of others.
3. Extreme Loss: accept instructions and respond appropriately to criticism from supervisors.

Functional Limitations- Degree of Limitations
1. restriction of activities of daily living- slight
2. difficulty in maintaining social functioning- moderate
3. deficiencies of concentration, persistent or pace resulting in failure to complete tasks in a timely manner (in work settings and elsewhere)- frequent
4. episodes of deterioration or decompensation in work or work like settings which cause the individual to withdraw from that situation or to experience exacerbation of signs and symptoms (which may include deterioration of adaptive behaviors)- repeated

Can your patient manage benefits in his or her own best interest? YES

PERIOD OF RESTRICTION: Has the individual's condition existed and persisted with the restrictions as outlined in this Medical Sources Statement at least since 2004? YES

I am submitting this RFC form for my second time applying but initial review. I didn't appeal my first application after the recon denial until 11 month later and they said it's too late. Do you think they will even review my RFC during the initial review? Thank you again to anyone who can give me some answers or advise.

#2 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

ID: 637

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 28,041 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 04:23 PM

Welcome to DF, sadlyhopeless,
I presume you are applying for SSI. The RFC sounds ok to me, but it's difficult to say if it'll be approved or not. You may want to have your mental health records or a letter from your psychiatrist for additional info to send with your application. I had all my records and letters from pdocs, tdocs and GP acertaining my total disability to function in a work setting, handling anything stressful and inability to make major decisions.

Take a look at the "Blue Book" qualifications for MH disability.

Call your Medicaid office, they will know of any day treatment facilities for eating disorders that accept Medicaid.
Sheepwoman
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#3 sadlyhopeless

sadlyhopeless

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 04:51 AM

I presume you are applying for SSI. The RFC sounds ok to me, but it's difficult to say if it'll be approved or not. You may want to have your mental health records or a letter from your psychiatrist for additional info to send with your application. I had all my records and letters from pdocs, tdocs and GP acertaining my total disability to function in a work setting, handling anything stressful and inability to make major decisions.

Call your Medicaid office, they will know of any day treatment facilities for eating disorders that accept Medicaid.
Sheepwoman

Hello Sheep,

I got a call from the Social Security office and they said that my SSDI is still pending but they are going to start paying me SSI and approved me for the next 3 months. My question is, am I suppose to get backpay from SSI? And why is the SSD pending while they SSI is starting? I know I was suppose to ask these from the SS representative but I was too confused to ask and didn't remember to at the time. And I feel bad to call and ask. I just want to know first if these are the normal steps in getting the disability benefits. I don't understand why I am only approved for 3 months and not getting a backpay. I filed in February or March of this year.

Please help me understand. Thank you so much.

#4 sadlyhopeless

sadlyhopeless

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 06:53 PM

Sheepwoman

Hello Sheep,

I got a call from the Social Security office and they said that my SSDI is still pending but they are going to start paying me SSI and approved me for the next 3 months. My question is, am I suppose to get backpay from SSI? And why is the SSD pending while they SSI is starting? I know I was suppose to ask these from the SS representative but I was too confused to ask and didn't remember to at the time. And I feel bad to call and ask. I just want to know first if these are the normal steps in getting the disability benefits. I don't understand why I am only approved for 3 months and not getting a backpay. I filed in February or March of this year.

Please help me understand. Thank you so much.

Hello,

Well I am feeling very embarrassed for posting my rfc on here. I wanted to delete it, but I guess I can't.

I got a call from the SSO on the 28th or 29th. I was notified that I was approved when I called the toll free number. I was confused at first, that's why I didn't ask the lady from the SSO any further questions when she called me. But I called the SS hotline and was told that they have the info on my award letter but I am going to start getting SSI for 3 months, until they decide on my award letter for SSDI.

I guess I am approved, right? Am I suppose to get a backpay from SSI or will the backpay be based on my SSDI? I am still confused on this one.

My other question is, I initially applied for disability on Feb2007 about 4 months after my daughter was born. I returned to work only after a week after I gave birth. But had stopped a month and a half later due to my severe postpartum depression. I stopped taking my antidepressants when I was pregnant and was basically depressed and stressed out while I was pregnant, much more than my usual self. I also developed gestational diabetes which developed to a full blown diabetes. With panic and anxiety attacks, my blood pressure is always high, had to be put on 2 hypertension meds. It was never high before this pregnancy.

I applied for disability for the first time on Feb 2007. I have had a long history of mental disorders since high school, including bulimia and depression and some minor OCDs that went away on their own (frequent hand-washing in between classes during my Junior and Senior years in high school, always looking in the mirror or glass to see my reflection that went on for more than 10 years starting high school, I even had the twitching of both my eyes, can't explain it though). I received a denial letter a few months later, they said I didn't have enough medical infos and my psychiatrist's office. Which I did, years of psychiatric monthly visits, partial hospitalization for Eating Disorder, etc. But my current psychiatrist's office never sent them my medical records. Basically ignored the SSD's request. I called the office as I got more anxious and depressed. They said they will send it right away. I never discussed with my doctor about applying for disability. Which I just found out from research, that it is a very important part of my case. I became more depressed and basically gave up on almost everything, my kids were the only ones who gave me reasons to live. I never followed up on my appeal, which I started.

So this year, I decided to apply again because my disorders are much worse and we are out of finances. I have never applied or received government checks aka welfare all my life, and only applied for food stamps and medical when I was pregnant and couldn't work. But I did eventually applied for TANF the same month I applied for disability this year. My experience with those public aid workers was a nightmare. They broke me down to tears each time I dealt with them. It was horrible. They did not try to help me at all. I threatened to report their work ethics many times as well.

So my disability was approved on its initial stage this year. I asked the intake worker from the SSA if I could file an appeal from a year and a half ago since I was too sick, mentally and emotionally to go through my appeal in 2007. She said I can't and I have to start a new application.

My question is, do I have a chance of getting my disability onset date to go back as far as Feb2007, my initial application? If I don't get granted the 2007 onset date, can I appeal their decision? I thought if there was a valid reason why an appeal was not made, an applicant has 2 years to be able to appeal?

Please help me understand. I am the only one supporting my 3 kids because of their abusive fathers. I have worked so hard and provided for my kids, despite of my mental and emotional problems through these years. But I am an emotional wreck and I need to be in medical programs for my disorders. I just would like to get some answers from people who will not look at me as less of a person because I can't provide financially for my kids anymore.

#5 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

ID: 637

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 28,041 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 10:36 AM

My question is, do I have a chance of getting my disability onset date to go back as far as Feb2007

SS can go back one year from the date you filed your claim for benefits. What it means is you were incapacitated a year prior to your claim submission (ie, claim submitted Feb 1, 2009; backpay to Feb 1, 2008). If you've been awarded temporary SSI, you should be awarded backpay. Your SSDI should be granted soon. Keep in touch with the SS casemanager regarding the award. Normally, there is no difference between SSI and SSDI payments. One advantage with SSI is you qualify forMedicaid/Medi-Cal services now instead of the 2 year waiting period for Medicare. (when you qualify for Medicare you will not lose Medicaid/Medi-cal benefits.) which can change depending on how far back SS will go with your claim.

You're lucky to have your claim approved in a short period of time. SS claims can take between 3 and 6 months to be approved or denied. More than likely, you will receive a letter from SS that states your monthly payment amount and a separate letter regarding any back pay due you. Have your SS payments electronically deposited in your bank account rather than having the check sent directly to you. (you won't lose the check and you'll be safer if you don't carry that money on your person.)

If I don't get granted the 2007 onset date, can I appeal their decision?

Don't try to reopen your old claim. Let it go. You only have a short period of time to file an appeal. Consider that claim as closed. Don't even mention or bring it up as it possibly may affect the claim you are now receiving benefits. More than likely SS has closed this claim and stored it away somewhere.
Sheepwoman

You should be receiving letters from SS regarding your monthly payment, the back pay award amount and the desision of awarding SSDI (or SSD if you have more than $2000 in assets.)

My claim went through in 3 months. I received denials for SSI and SSDI as I had too many assets. When I filed my claim I was on State Disability Insurance. The first monthly payment should have paid at the SS reate, due to the SDI payment, the check was accordingly reduced (SDI $2400; SSD $1450)
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#6 sadlyhopeless

sadlyhopeless

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 12:02 PM

My question is, do I have a chance of getting my disability onset date to go back as far as Feb2007

SS can go back one year from the date you filed your claim for benefits. What it means is you were incapacitated a year prior to your claim submission (ie, claim submitted Feb 1, 2009; backpay to Feb 1, 2008). If you've been awarded temporary SSI, you should be awarded backpay. Your SSDI should be granted soon. Keep in touch with the SS casemanager regarding the award. Normally, there is no difference between SSI and SSDI payments. One advantage with SSI is you qualify forMedicaid/Medi-Cal services now instead of the 2 year waiting period for Medicare. (when you qualify for Medicare you will not lose Medicaid/Medi-cal benefits.) which can change depending on how far back SS will go with your claim.

You're lucky to have your claim approved in a short period of time. SS claims can take between 3 and 6 months to be approved or denied. More than likely, you will receive a letter from SS that states your monthly payment amount and a separate letter regarding any back pay due you. Have your SS payments electronically deposited in your bank account rather than having the check sent directly to you. (you won't lose the check and you'll be safer if you don't carry that money on your person.)

If I don't get granted the 2007 onset date, can I appeal their decision?

Don't try to reopen your old claim. Let it go. You only have a short period of time to file an appeal. Consider that claim as closed. Don't even mention or bring it up as it possibly may affect the claim you are now receiving benefits. More than likely SS has closed this claim and stored it away somewhere.
Sheepwoman

You should be receiving letters from SS regarding your monthly payment, the back pay award amount and the desision of awarding SSDI (or SSD if you have more than $2000 in assets.)

My claim went through in 3 months. I received denials for SSI and SSDI as I had too many assets. When I filed my claim I was on State Disability Insurance. The first monthly payment should have paid at the SS reate, due to the SDI payment, the check was accordingly reduced (SDI $2400; SSD $1450)

Hello Sheepwoman,

Thank you very much for all your advice. I am confused about the SSI and SSDI and SSD though. I thought SSDI and SSD are the same. That's when you have work credits and have paid for your social security insurance. But you had mentioned that SSI and SSDI are the same? I thought SSI is just the flat rate SS gives to disabled people who didn't have enough work credits? I am confused with that part. ;(

And also, since I am getting temporary SSI, should I have been awarded the backpay on that? I'm sorry for my too many questions.

#7 Forum Admin

Forum Admin

Admin Team

ID: 4

• Super Administrators
  • 14,477 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 11:47 AM

Although many people use the terms Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) interchangeably, the two are actually different federal programs. SSDI is an insurance program funded by an individualís payroll taxes. The SSI, on the other hand, is a need-based income supplement program funded by general tax revenues. However, both programs are managed by the Social Security Administration (SSA), and for both the SSDI and the SSI programs, a worker must be determined to be physically or mentally disabled and unable to work for at least one year.

The SSDI program provides benefits to the disabled or blind individuals who are considered "insured" because of their contributions to the Social Security trust fund. These contributions are the Federal Insurance Contributions Act (FICA) social security tax paid on the workersí earnings.

According to the Social Security Administration, a person qualifies for SSDI, also called Social Security Disability Benefits or SSD, if they have a physical or mental condition that prevents them from working for at least twelve months or that will cause them to die. Eligible candidates must also be younger than 65 and have worked at least five out of the last ten years. Disabled people who qualify should receive SSDI until their condition improves. If their condition will not improve, SSDI is intended to be a guaranteed source of income for them.

The Supplemental Security Income program is a cash assistance program which is based on an individualís financial need, not on an individualís work history. The SSI is financed by general tax funds of the U.S. Treasury. The SSI program was set up to help the blind, disabled, and elderly people with little or no income by providing them with a monthly check to pay for food, clothing, and shelter.

In order to be eligible to receive SSI benefits, an individual must be physically or mentally disabled, blind, or be at least sixty-five years old. An eligible candidate must also have limited resources and income. Children who are blind or disabled are also eligible to receive SSI funds.

People who receive SSI are usually also eligible to receive monthly food stamps and Medicaid, which helps pay for doctor visits and hospital bills. The amount of SSI an individual can receive depends on where the person lives, what he or she owns, and the amount of monthly income the person brings in. Thus, SSI benefits are more limited than SSDI benefits.

~Lindsay

ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/

~Lindsay ღ , Forum Super Administrator
Founder, depressionforums.org

"One person can make a difference through their seemingly small actions" ~Unknown
"To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived". ~ Bessie Stanley

Depression Forums are PG rated and we comply with Health on the Net's HONcode
goldenvelope1jr.gifplatinumstar.jpg

Hotlines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users