Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

What Happens When You Go To A Psychiatrist?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cb2

cb2

ID: 30195

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 02:48 AM

I've never to a psychiatrist before but am thinking about going to one, but I have some questions that I hope some of you may be able to answer.

What is the difference between a therapist and psychiatrist besides the ability to prescribe medications?

Do you talk about your problems with a psychiatrist or is it mainly about the medication?

How often do you go to a psychiatrist?

How much does the average psychiatrist charge without insurance per visit?

Has anybody here been to both a psychiatrist and a therapist, if so which helped you more?

If you're on a budget would it be better just to go to your family doctor and get depression medication prescribed to you instead of going to a psychiatrist?

#2 pearlseeker

pearlseeker

Gold Member

ID: 32322

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 03:00 AM

((((cb2)))) :hearts: Hey sweetie!! I have been to both and a Psychiatrist can prescribe med's and that is very important and they do talk about your problems some. A Therapist can't prescribe med's but they talk more indepth about your issues. Depression is a chemical imbalance in a lot of people and med's are needed to get you to a place where you can think more clearly and have more stability emotionaly to deal with your issues so if you have a chemical imbalance you NEED med's and then therapy. Even if you do not have a chemical imbalance and you have been thrown into depression by traumatic events in your life med's may be needed for a while to get you over a ruff patch. I am NO DR sweetie but this is my understanding! Your Psychiatrist is the best to diagnose you and advise you what exactly you need I do believe. Your GP can prescribe med's but he isn't specificly trained in all the nuances of mental health issues. You insurance coverage would depend on your policy and there is usually an 800# on your card somewhere or a web site to refer to for coverage info but when I have had insurance in the past it covered both for a specific number of visits and then if my Dr or Therapist felt I needed more they could call and get approval for more sessions. I hope this helps some sweetie!! XOXOXO Love Pearly

Edited by pearlseeker, 02 March 2009 - 03:02 AM.

"Faith consists of believing when it is beyond the power of reason to believe."

Live simply, love generously,

Care deeply, speak kindly,

Leave the rest to God

#3 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

ID: 637

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 28,041 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 10:53 AM

What is the difference between a therapist and psychiatrist besides the ability to prescribe medications?

A therapist provides a safe place for you to talk about issues (Past and present)/emotions. Tdoc's can evaluate you, administer MH testing, give you a diagnosis and the two of you will create a treatment plan based on your goals.Tdocs will listen, give you feedback and guidance as you build self-esteem, learn coping skills, etc.

Fewer and fewer pdoc's do "talk therapy" as their time is normally spent building treatment plans that incompass a variety of medications. They monitor the effectiveness of the med with the patient. Pdoc's also monitor blood levels for certain meds to keep the dose within the therapeutic level.

Do you talk about your problems with a psychiatrist or is it mainly about the medication?

Mostly regarding your meds.

When you start a pmed, you will usually see the pdoc every 2 weeks until the med is assimilated into your system with good effects. After the therapeutic level (varies from person to person) is reached, appointments can be every 2-4 months to monitor your med (still working, etc.).

Fees can vary with MH providers and where their practice is located. My tdoc sessions (50min) are $140 each. The pdoc intitial visit (45-60 min.) fee is $300 and follow up vists (10-20 min.) are $180. That gives you some idea what you'd have to pay if you have no mental health insurance coverage.

Has anybody here been to both a psychiatrist and a therapist, if so which helped you more?

I do both. Meds for me are life long. Therapy right now is intense as I'm learning new coping strategies.

If you're on a budget would it be better just to go to your family doctor and get depression medication prescribed to you instead of going to a psychiatrist?

If you have health insurance, use it, you will either have a copay or have to pay a portion of the bill. Depending on your insurance plan you may or may not need a referral to see a participating in network MH professional from your GP. GP's treat many people who have depression and will prescribe an AD. GP's do not have the expertise with pmeds nor do they do much in the way of therapy (maybe 5 minutes of your appointment.") GP's haven't had enough MH training (maybe a 3-6 month rotation in med school) to be really effective. There are t and pdoc's who will work on a sliding fee scale depending on what you can afford to pay. You'll have to call and ask the p and tdocs in your area if they will charge on a sliding fee scale. If you're unemployed, you might qualify for state or county MH services.

Hope I helped you a bit. I did billing, claim follow-up with the health plans, Managed Care contract audits and insurance collections for underpaid claims for a variety of nationwide hospitals. I also know a lot about Medicare and Medicaid/Medical, and the workings of state and county mH services.
Sheepwoman
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#4 cb2

cb2

ID: 30195

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 02:59 PM

When you go to a Psychiatrist is it like going to a family doctor where they take your blood pressure, weigh you and such? or is it more like an office? Also, I just moved to a new state and have not gotten my new license yet, do you need a valid in state license when you fill out the form? or do they usually not require an ID or something?

#5 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

ID: 637

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 28,041 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 03:15 PM

Pdoc appointments differ from dr. office visits. It's in an office situation. You don't need your driver's license, only your insurance card.
Sheepwoman
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#6 SweetPea2009

SweetPea2009

ID: 34302

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 04:04 PM

I have been to a therapist before through Kaiser about 3 years ago. All she did was ask me questions. Maybe she was trying to get me to talk it out and maybe come to my own conclusions? I wasn't sure. But it didn't help at all. She kind of made me feel small by saying "It sounds like you're just going through a normal teenage depression. It happens to almost everyone." Uhh... thanks for your help? She was probably a newbie and didn't understand what she wasn't supposed to say. Or maybe Kaiser doesn't take pride in who they hire? I don't know. But she didn't help at all. She made me feel worse.
SweetPea2009 <3

#7 LoonATiK

LoonATiK

ID: 25334

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:06 PM

i've been to enough pdocs, i feel qualified to answer this one! lol

the therapist is trained to change your thinking without meds through various talk therapies, whereas the pdoc usually exclusively prescribes meds

when i talk to him about something, it is pertaining to my meds. for example, i'm interested in having a baby. we had to look at that seriously and determined that it is too risky on my meds to become pregnant, however with ECT i could ditch the meds and have a baby. the choice is mine.

as needed. i used to go every month, now every couple of months generally.

i don't know. i used to go to a public clinic that was free, and now i have insurance at a private practice.

the pdoc, because the meds lift you to a place where you can be reasonable. you just can't be reasonable enough half the time without meds (depending on your state and condition, of course) to carry on a rational conversation without med intervention. that's me, anyway.

i'd see the pdoc for a real diagnosis, and ask charity groups/non-profits like NAMI for referrals to sliding-scale psychiatrists and public clinics. if you live in ohio then you're in luck, because here we have excellent public psychiatric health access (according to NAMI and my own experience).
Current cocktail: Abilify 30mg. Adderall XR 30mg, Lamictal 400mg, Wellbutrin 300mg, Lithium 1200mg

DX: BP1, ADHD, and PTSD

In tribute to my dad, BP1 suicide.

"She sits in a corner by the door...there must be more I can tell her. If she really wants me to help her, I'll do what I can to show her the way, and maybe one day I will free her. But I know, no one can see through her. Lisa, Lisa, sad Lisa, Lisa..."

-- Sad Lisa by Cat Stevens

#8 IndyStorm

IndyStorm

ID: 29623

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:23 AM

I'm seeing a Church therapist right now. He's a real state licenses therapist. He does not have the
right to prescribe medication. All of our sessions involve talking. He sure does ask me a lot of questions! lol. It seems when I ask an important question he asks one back!

I called the main health clinic that most people go too. They have offices all around. Their therapist
are paid based on what you make. They can recommend you to their psychiatrists who then can prescribe medication. I called three psychiatrists in the area and they all wanted $135.00 for the first visit (around 50 minutes) and around $40 to $50 for the 10 to 30 minute follow up's once a month or so. I called and told them I donít have insurance. Those are prices they gave me.

What I did tho was tell my therapist I wanted to try medication and went to the family doctor. She gave me a 6 month prescription for Lexapro. She said it's a hit and miss process. You keep trying to find the right mediation and dosage to find what works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users