Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Lexapro And Caffiene

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 draider

draider

ID: 33153

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 05:46 PM

on day 2 of 10mg Lexapro...so far haven't had any extreme side effects...until today at lunch when i made the mistake of having caffiene....that mixed with the already kind of on edge feeling of Lexapro has me absolutely crawling out of my skin here at my desk at work....anybody else have that extremely jittery feeling from drinking caffiene while taking lexapro or any other SSRI?

#2 InTheWilderness

InTheWilderness

ID: 33903

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 11:09 PM

draider,

yes, yes, yes, yes... i'm on citalopram 20mg and while I love my caffeine, i get so jittery when I have a diet coke it kinda freaked me out because the anxiety and jitteriness was what took me to the psychiatrist in the first place... once I realized it and laid off the caffeine it was much better.

best of luck to you!

wilderness

#3 Elise

Elise

Gold Member

ID: 31553

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:33 AM

Oh yes,
I'm on 20mg of Citalopram and having been a serious caffeine junkie I'm terrified to touch the stuff now. Had two terrible reactions to cappucinos (!) which sent me over the edge!!!
Elise
The chain-smoking yogi
Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 PRT

PRT

ID: 33974

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 05:02 AM

Weirdly I can drink tea and coke fine but cannot touch coffee. It sends me into a total panic and I have to curl up into a ball and get my boyfriend to hug me! However I can't remember if I noticed this before or after I started my meds (20mg citalopram). just assumed it was the anxiety and didn't realise it might be something to do with the medication. I learn SO much on here!
To see a world in a grain of sand
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour. Posted Image

#5 BreakFree1984

BreakFree1984

ID: 34801

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:44 PM

Weirdly I can drink tea and coke fine but cannot touch coffee. It sends me into a total panic and I have to curl up into a ball and get my boyfriend to hug me! However I can't remember if I noticed this before or after I started my meds (20mg citalopram). just assumed it was the anxiety and didn't realise it might be something to do with the medication. I learn SO much on here!

Oh man, I get that Jittery, edgy feeling without drinking coffee, so I stay WAY away from it. After about 2 hours from takign the Lex, i get really jittery and my leg just starts bouncing up and down like a sewing needle! I hope that goes away, but don't feel alone, I've heard a lot of people have that. And of course, that makes me anxious, what a vicious cycle!

#6 SavannahFaith

SavannahFaith

ID: 34757

• PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:54 PM

OMG! I had this strange thing about six months ago, where suddenly two of my mugs of coffee made me totally panic and I would end up taking an anxiety med. I never connected it to the Lexapro, but it was about the same time that we upped it.

It never happened with diet coke -- just coffee.

That is weird.

Haven't had coffee since I've been on the Celexa so I don't know how it would respond.

Savannah

#7 BreakFree1984

BreakFree1984

ID: 34801

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 07:44 PM

OMG! I had this strange thing about six months ago, where suddenly two of my mugs of coffee made me totally panic and I would end up taking an anxiety med. I never connected it to the Lexapro, but it was about the same time that we upped it.

It never happened with diet coke -- just coffee.

That is weird.

Haven't had coffee since I've been on the Celexa so I don't know how it would respond.

Savannah

one time, while i was upping from 10mgs to 20mgs lexapro, I took one of those 5 hour energy drinks and totatlly lost it. Full blown panic attack out of nowhere. Scared the crap out of me. It's really best to just stick with water, food, and a few vitamins when messing with the dosage IMO.

#8 John_in_SF

John_in_SF

ID: 34623

• PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 12:03 PM

It sends me into a total panic and I have to curl up into a ball and get my boyfriend to hug me!

I have to remember this one . . . "Honey, come to work quick! I just had a mocha frappucino and I need a hug!" :hearts:

#9 PRT

PRT

• Platinum Member
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 02:38 PM

It sends me into a total panic and I have to curl up into a ball and get my boyfriend to hug me!

I have to remember this one . . . "Honey, come to work quick! I just had a mocha frappucino and I need a hug!" :hearts:

Yeah, I just use it as an excuse now when I want a hug! :flowers:

#10 Darken

Darken

ID: 22054

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 03:01 PM

Hmmm...I guess I'm in the minority here as I don't seem any more jittery when I have my coke in the morning. Believe me I would be far worse without my morning caffiene!
........__o -----------> Get out and exercise believe me it helps!
....._ \<,_ -----------> I'm riding for blood cancer victims this year
....(_)/ (_) -----------> I'll be raising money while cycling over 4,000 miles!

There is no better treatment for depression then the support of your family.

Suicide Help on DF

#11 PRT

PRT

• Platinum Member
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 03:04 PM

Hmmm...I guess I'm in the minority here as I don't seem any more jittery when I have my coke in the morning. Believe me I would be far worse without my morning caffiene!

Yeah I do too actually. If I don't have tea in the morning I get a godawful headache...I think that's what they call an addiction!! :hearts:

#12 Darken

Darken

ID: 22054

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 03:25 PM

Yeah I do too actually. If I don't have tea in the morning I get a godawful headache...I think that's what they call an addiction!! :flowers:

Good point...I guess if your going to be addicted to something, there is plenty worse then caffiene :hearts: Of course my doc wants me to cut it out now that I've developed insomnia issues....not sure I can do that though.
........__o -----------> Get out and exercise believe me it helps!
....._ \<,_ -----------> I'm riding for blood cancer victims this year
....(_)/ (_) -----------> I'll be raising money while cycling over 4,000 miles!

There is no better treatment for depression then the support of your family.

Suicide Help on DF

#13 PRT

PRT

• Platinum Member
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 03:37 PM

Good point...I guess if your going to be addicted to something, there is plenty worse then caffiene :hearts: Of course my doc wants me to cut it out now that I've developed insomnia issues....not sure I can do that though.

Mm I could cut out everything apart from the morning one - surely that can't stop you sleeping?! Yes you're right, worse addictions I could have - although some more fun ones I could think of...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users