Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Lexapro First Week

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kimirike

kimirike

ID: 33837

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 01:11 AM

Hi everyone I'm a newbie here and I have a really big problem.

Today marks a full week on Lexapro and I am tired as anything. I was taking it at 8 am but by the afternoon I was just ready to fall asleep. This drug makes me so tired that I switched to taking it in the evening so that by bedtime I could fall asleep better. The thing is that it leaves me groggy in the morning and I'm sleeping for 10 hours! This isn't working for me and I don't want to be so tired. I want to just stop taking the drug but I'm so afraid of going back to that "dark place". Truth be told the drug has made me less depressed not "happy", but more zombie like. I don't like the zombie feeling, I can't cry or be sad, I'm really "mellow" if that's the right word for it.

On Thursday I see my GP, I'm honest with him and I know he'll do one of two things.
1) Switch the Lexapro to something else.
2) Add another drug.

I don't want to be chained to taking Ad's for the rest of my life. But my doc knows that if I don't take drugs I'll get suicidal again, so he won't have me without anything. So I'm stuck between
1) Not taking the drugs and feeling suicidal and crappy, which I don't want
2) Taking the drugs feeling like a lab rat and zombie, something else I don't want.

Any advice? I hate feeling like but what can I say, story of my life... :hearts:

And any time you feel the pain, hey, Jude, refrain
Don't carry the world upon your shoulders
Well don't you know that its a fool who plays it cool
By making his world a little colder
'Hey Jude' - The Beatles

#2 Guest_bobo_*

Guest_bobo_*

ID: 0

• Guests

Posted 18 February 2009 - 01:41 AM

Hi I read your thread i was in similar situation i am on celexa its pretty much the same thing. I think what is important for you to realize is that being down
is the worst feeling so this tells me that you have to be on a med to be happy. What dose are you taking?? I think that you will have to be on meds for life. I am in the same situation but I dont mind taking the celexa im just soo happy that i found something that works. So for you the first thing you should ask yourself is it working? I feel tired too i actually slept for 15 hours a couple of days ago but that tells me something that its working are you having vivid dreams? I dream like crazy on this stuff. I personally dont mind this side effect i would rather be feeling good than down no matter what the side effect is. There is one solution try exercising you will feel more alert nd not so tired not so much lifting weights but cardio running get a gym membership this will get you going so that you are not so tired you will have more energy. But I must caution since you said he is thinking of switching meds. It is very hard to find a med that works. So if you believe that celexa is working for you dont tamper with it its liek finding a needle in ahaystack let me know if you have any more question im in the same boat

#3 psychocandy

psychocandy

ID: 18703

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 04:40 AM

Hi everyone I'm a newbie here and I have a really big problem.

Today marks a full week on Lexapro and I am tired as anything. I was taking it at 8 am but by the afternoon I was just ready to fall asleep. This drug makes me so tired that I switched to taking it in the evening so that by bedtime I could fall asleep better. The thing is that it leaves me groggy in the morning and I'm sleeping for 10 hours! This isn't working for me and I don't want to be so tired. I want to just stop taking the drug but I'm so afraid of going back to that "dark place". Truth be told the drug has made me less depressed not "happy", but more zombie like. I don't like the zombie feeling, I can't cry or be sad, I'm really "mellow" if that's the right word for it.

On Thursday I see my GP, I'm honest with him and I know he'll do one of two things.
1) Switch the Lexapro to something else.
2) Add another drug.

I don't want to be chained to taking Ad's for the rest of my life. But my doc knows that if I don't take drugs I'll get suicidal again, so he won't have me without anything. So I'm stuck between
1) Not taking the drugs and feeling suicidal and crappy, which I don't want
2) Taking the drugs feeling like a lab rat and zombie, something else I don't want.

Any advice? I hate feeling like but what can I say, story of my life... :hearts:

Its good that your going back to your GP to discuss this.

However, chances are that, tough as it may sound, these are start up side effects that WILL go away. Chances are that unless they really are unbearable GP will suggest you stick it out a bit longer.

Sorry if thats bad news for you. Just hthink though in 3-4 weeks all the side effects are likely to be gone along with your depression.

All the best.....
"Every day when I wake up I thank the Lord I'm Welsh" - Catatonia

#4 ophelia123

ophelia123

ID: 32708

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:51 AM

Hey Kimirike,
I think psychocandy is probably right. Adjusting to a new AD can be so hard for the first few weeks but sometimes you just have to give it some time. It's a good sign that you're feeling less depressed after only a week. Definitely talk to your doctor though. Hopefully these side effects are only temporary.

#5 IndyStorm

IndyStorm

ID: 29623

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 05:00 PM

I started lexapro seven days ago. I think it's 10mg, there is a 10 on back of the pills. Doctor gave me three boxes of samples and a six month subscription. I'm drowsy and tired too. I'm not sure if it's working on my brain yet. According to this forum it takes four to eight weeks to fully kick it.

I've been taking the pill at 5pm. I work 10 to 12 hour shifts four nights on and off. I hope the pill makes me happy.

#6 jcousins

jcousins

Just Registered

ID: 33825

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:21 PM

One month ago i took the 10mg pill (samples from my doctor). I felt very tired and was constantly yawning so i stopped after 3 days.

My doctor told me to cut the pills in half and today wraps up Day 6 and I feel fine (no side effects). I was able to go to the gym almost every day since taking 5mg and run 3-5 miles. I am taking Lexapro for anxiety so we'll see what happens. I'm hoping my constant worrying decreases and this medicine actually works. My friend took Lexapro for 3 months and felt nothing, even after upping the dose to 20mg. I guess everyone reacts differently.

I am thinking positive about Lexapro, too many negative thoughts and comments on these boards.

#7 kimirike

kimirike

ID: 33837

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 01:08 AM

Hi I read your thread i was in similar situation i am on celexa its pretty much the same thing. I think what is important for you to realize is that being down
is the worst feeling so this tells me that you have to be on a med to be happy. What dose are you taking?? I think that you will have to be on meds for life. I am in the same situation but I dont mind taking the celexa im just soo happy that i found something that works. So for you the first thing you should ask yourself is it working? I feel tired too i actually slept for 15 hours a couple of days ago but that tells me something that its working are you having vivid dreams? I dream like crazy on this stuff. I personally dont mind this side effect i would rather be feeling good than down no matter what the side effect is. There is one solution try exercising you will feel more alert nd not so tired not so much lifting weights but cardio running get a gym membership this will get you going so that you are not so tired you will have more energy. But I must caution since you said he is thinking of switching meds. It is very hard to find a med that works. So if you believe that celexa is working for you dont tamper with it its liek finding a needle in ahaystack let me know if you have any more question im in the same boat

Hi bobo. I'm glad Lexapro works for you. I am not having vivid dreams though I usually have vivid dreams to begin with. I think I might begin exercising again like you suggested as soon as this tiredness goes away a little and i get adjusted to it. I think that my greatest fear is staying on the meds for life. I have a feeling that this might be the case since I haven't had traumatic events trigger my depression it's just always been there. Thanks for the advice it helped. :)

Its good that your going back to your GP to discuss this.

However, chances are that, tough as it may sound, these are start up side effects that WILL go away. Chances are that unless they really are unbearable GP will suggest you stick it out a bit longer.

Sorry if thats bad news for you. Just hthink though in 3-4 weeks all the side effects are likely to be gone along with your depression.

All the best.....

I hope that the side effects go away eventually today I didn't as tired but I awaoke really tired, I'm switching the time I take them and finding out which on works best.

Hey Kimirike,
I think psychocandy is probably right. Adjusting to a new AD can be so hard for the first few weeks but sometimes you just have to give it some time. It's a good sign that you're feeling less depressed after only a week. Definitely talk to your doctor though. Hopefully these side effects are only temporary.

I love the term psychocandy makes it sound like a long lost white colored m&m with chocolate!

I started lexapro seven days ago. I think it's 10mg, there is a 10 on back of the pills. Doctor gave me three boxes of samples and a six month subscription. I'm drowsy and tired too. I'm not sure if it's working on my brain yet. According to this forum it takes four to eight weeks to fully kick it.

I've been taking the pill at 5pm. I work 10 to 12 hour shifts four nights on and off. I hope the pill makes me happy.

I hope the pill works for you 10 to 12 hour shifts must be brutal. The doctor gave me two sample boxes going for the script tomorrow. Take care!

One month ago i took the 10mg pill (samples from my doctor). I felt very tired and was constantly yawning so i stopped after 3 days.

My doctor told me to cut the pills in half and today wraps up Day 6 and I feel fine (no side effects). I was able to go to the gym almost every day since taking 5mg and run 3-5 miles. I am taking Lexapro for anxiety so we'll see what happens. I'm hoping my constant worrying decreases and this medicine actually works. My friend took Lexapro for 3 months and felt nothing, even after upping the dose to 20mg. I guess everyone reacts differently.

I am thinking positive about Lexapro, too many negative thoughts and comments on these boards.

I think the reason that there are many negative thoughts and comments on these forums is the fact that many people in our lives don't want to or don't understand what depression is. Many people come here to say what some of the people in our lives don't want to hear. I know that I don't like telling my family about my sad feelings b/c it upsets them. I come here b/c I know others here know exactly what I'm talking about. I see this as a place to vent that other will know what I'm talking about.
And any time you feel the pain, hey, Jude, refrain
Don't carry the world upon your shoulders
Well don't you know that its a fool who plays it cool
By making his world a little colder
'Hey Jude' - The Beatles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users