Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Citalopram For Social Phobia

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 crankinfested

crankinfested

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 07:30 AM

Hi,

I was diagnosed with anxiety and social phobia 6 months ago, and currently take citaopram 40mg to combat this. i currently find that in some situations I am fine, confident and don't experience anxiety. But oithers, especially around people that I do not know well, and am somehow forced to make conversation with (at work), i struggle to relax and feel iI must come across as being bulshy and rude. One on one I am better, or when talking about something technical it is easier than small talk.

The citalopram helps me to feel more positive and the whole thing, but does only sometimes help me in social situations. Some days I am fine and others I feel really bad, so to others I can be unpredicatable.

I would be grateful for any responses people have related to this. Please note I am from the UK and therefore do not have access to many medications available in the USA.

Thank you

Edited by psychocandy, 16 February 2009 - 09:15 AM.

#2 psychocandy

psychocandy

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:20 AM

Hi,

I was diagnosed with anxiety and social phobia 6 months ago, and currently take citaopram 40mg to combat this. i currently find that in some situations I am fine, confident and don't experience anxiety. But oithers, especially around people that I do not know well, and am somehow forced to make conversation with (at work), i struggle to relax and feel iI must come across as being bulshy and rude. One on one I am better, or when talking about something technical it is easier than small talk.

The citalopram helps me to feel more positive and the whole thing, but does only sometimes help me in social situations. Some days I am fine and others I feel really bad, so to others I can be unpredicatable.

I would be grateful for any responses people have related to this. Please note I am from the UK and therefore do not have access to many medications available in the USA.

Thank you

Crank,

I'm in the UK too. We do have access to pretty much the same meds as the USA (exceptuion being possibly Wellbutrin),. so there are plenty of others to try.

Is this the first AD you've tried? If things are not right, its definitely worth going back to see your GP. Maybe even talk him into referring you to a psychiatrist.

I've always found that things improve 20x when you see a psychiatrist as opposed to a normal GP which can be a bit hit and miss.
"Every day when I wake up I thank the Lord I'm Welsh" - Catatonia

#3 crankinfested

crankinfested

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:55 AM

Hi,

Thank you

Crank,

I'm in the UK too. We do have access to pretty much the same meds as the USA (exceptuion being possibly Wellbutrin),. so there are plenty of others to try.

Is this the first AD you've tried? If things are not right, its definitely worth going back to see your GP. Maybe even talk him into referring you to a psychiatrist.

I've always found that things improve 20x when you see a psychiatrist as opposed to a normal GP which can be a bit hit and miss.

Thanx that was well informed. I will stay focused on the citalopram and see if things get better, as Ihave only recently increased the dose. If I do carry on having these negative thought however, I think I will have a go. My impression, however, was that all SSRIs are nearly the same, and I didnt know other medication was available. I was taking Diazepan 2mg 3xdaily, at the start of the Citalopram to combat the onset side effects, and found these were very effective but was told I could not continue taking them.

Any advice would be highly appreciated, and thankyou for your reply.

#4 millee

millee

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:02 PM

Hi,

Thank you

Dear Crank,
I also suffer from social phobia. Not as much as I used to, but it still lurks. I was on Citalopram for a while and did find some benefit to it, but nothing really helped as much as therapy. I did some Gradual Exposure Therapy to help me get more comfortable with social interactions. There was really nothing else that helped as much as that. I had to switch off the Citalopram because of the side-effects and now I'm on Prozac. While I still have depression (I'm working on it!), my social phobia is pretty much downgraded to social anxiety and is no longer debilitating. I recommend the book "Goodbye to Shy" by Leil Lowndes. It has a cheesy title, but the exercises in there are incredibly useful and very easy to get started. It's a GET approach similar to what you would get in a therapeutic environment and she also includes research, advice and other help. I can't recommend this book enough. I honestly think it changed my life. (Of course, actually doing the exercises is the only way to get the benefit. Just saying. . . ) :)
Whether or not it is clear to you,no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should . . . (Max Ehrmann)

Posted ImagePosted Image
millee's blog

#5 psychocandy

psychocandy

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:06 PM

Hi,

Thank you

Crank,

Thanx that was well informed. I will stay focused on the citalopram and see if things get better, as Ihave only recently increased the dose. If I do carry on having these negative thought however, I think I will have a go. My impression, however, was that all SSRIs are nearly the same, and I didnt know other medication was available. I was taking Diazepan 2mg 3xdaily, at the start of the Citalopram to combat the onset side effects, and found these were very effective but was told I could not continue taking them.

Any advice would be highly appreciated, and thankyou for your reply.

If you've only just increased to this dose, you do need to give it 3/4 weeks at least to be honest.

In terms of SSRIs, they're similar but different if you know what I mean. If one doesnt work theres still a chance another one will. (I've tried Prozac, Seroxat, Cymbalta, and Celexa)

Then of course, there are the SNRIs, which are mutliple inhibitors, affecting other things than just Serotonin. Effexor and Remeron. (Tried both)

Then theres the Tri-cyclics which are older ADs. Your doc wont give you these until you've tried a few SSRIs first though because the side effects can be worse. I'm currently taking Clomipramine which is a tri-cyclic.

Finally, theres the MAOIs which I havent tried. Only problem with these is they come with a fair number of dietary restrictions.

As for the Diazepam, surprised you got this at all. Some docs wont even prescribe it. Long term use can be a bad idea because it is addictive. Although, I'm guessin your doc probably wont give you any more....
"Every day when I wake up I thank the Lord I'm Welsh" - Catatonia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users