Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Suicide Support And Information For The Uk

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Lindsay

Lindsay

Forum Super Administrator

• Super Administrators
  • 15,132 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 02:16 PM

Suicide support and information for the UK and Scotland
Please use the links below and get the help you need.

Befrienders Support-Helplines

Choose Life

Feel like you've had enough?

* One in six people can suffer from depression

If you have suicidal thoughts, talking things through in confidence can really help

* It's never too late to ask for help!
PAPYRUS

PAPYRUS is a UK charity committed to suicide prevention, focusing predominantly on the emotional well-being of children, teenagers and young adults. We offer the general public and professionals alike, the requisite resources and support to help prevent suicide and improve mental health in young people. While preventing youth suicide is our primary focus, our concern in preventing suicide encompasses all age groups.

The main aims of PAPYRUS are:

1. To promote an understanding of the unique contribution that parents, families and carers can make to suicide prevention by:

a. providing assistance to parents and others, in a caring or professional role, in supporting vulnerable young people.
b. being represented in policy making decisions at all levels and monitoring their implementation.
c. encouraging, initiating and taking part in the development of learning opportunities for all.
d. encouraging, taking part and/or initiating research into suicide prevention.
e. campaigning for adequate mental health services for young people, and an easily accessible route to such help on an informal basis.

2. To promote public awareness of the importance of emotional well-being and sound mental health by:

a. promoting awareness of the risk of mental or emotional distress during adolescence and throughout life, and helping to remove the stigma of such occurrences.
b. encouraging the promotion of emotional well-being and sound mental health, in all levels of education.
c. co-operating with professional, statutory and voluntary bodies working in the suicide prevention field.
d. encouraging and disseminating examples of good practice in suicide prevention.

BEFRIENDERS www.befrienders.org/support/helpline.php

In many countries of the world, there are organizations called BEFRIENDERS. This movement started in Britain, under the name SAMARITANS, and now almost all countries have similar groups. They have telephone help-lines. You can phone them for help and support on any problem.

They are completely confidential - they will never tell anyone else what you have shared with them.

Not only that, if you still choose to commit suicide, they will respect your wish to do that. They will not trace the phone-call, or call emergency services, unless you ask them to. BEFRIENDERShelpers are trained to help you.
They say, "Whatever you are going through, we will go through it with you."

SAMARITANS www.samaritans.org.uk

The SAMARITANS are the BEFRIENDER group in Britain. They will give email help and support to anywhere in the world. They promise to email a reply back to you the same day. They will respect your wishes, and will never, ever, tell anyone else what you have told them. Their help will be non-religious. You can email them at:
answers@soon.org.uk

If you cannot send email while using your browser on-line, or are not sure if you can (with some network systems it is not possible), write the Samaritans email address jo@samaritans.org down, and email them later. (If you have not set up your browser to send emails, or you are on a network, you may think that you are "sending emails" via the browser 'mailto' function, but they will not be sent.)

In UK and Northern Ireland, Samaritans national phone help line is 08457 90 90 90 available 24 hours a day at local rate. Note, you cannot dial this number from outside UK.

You may also email here at SOON. Write the email address down so you can use it later:
E-mail at: answers@soon.org.uk

In the UK:- Helplines

NHS Direct 0845 4647

NHS 24 (Scotland) 0845 24 24 24 www.nhs24.com

---------------------------
Five reasons not to **** yourself if you have religion and beliefs.

1) What will it do to your family and friends?
Every person's death affects many people. Those most affected are those closest to them - friends and family. A suicide is even worse. Your family will feel terrible guilt that it was their fault, as well as normal sadness. Many families never recover from the effect of someone's suicide. If you destroy yourself, you may destroy your family too.

2) Remember the past
When you are depressed, it is hard to remember the past, and how things were better. But think - there was a time when you were happier, when life was better, when life seemed worth living. Such a time can happen to you again.

3) What is on the other side of death?
Every religion believes that there is still an existence after dying. Many people who have no religion also believe this is so. And almost everyone knows that there are bad things that may happen to us after dying, as well as the possibility of good things. This is a dangerous journey to take. How do you know what will happen to you after you die. If you are not sure, do not make the journey!

4) You have a purpose
All of us are placed on this earth for a purpose. To walk out of that is a terrible waste.

5) The most important reason of all
God made you. He understands how you feel. When no one else understands how you feel, He does. He created you for a purpose. He can bring you through depression, or any other problem you may have. You do not need to be alone. He can help you in your loneliness.

God really wants to speak to you. It is as if He is saying:

"My dear one,

You are not alone. I am with you. I have loved you since before you were born. I was with you though all the hurt and pain. Only I understand how you feel inside. I am with you. I will go through this time with you. I can bring you through it. Ask Me to help you. I have a wonderful plan for your life.
Search for Me. I will never let you go."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.mind.org.uk

Call our Infoline

0300 123 3393

__________________________________________________________________________________

Who else can help me?

If you are considering ******* yourself, get help quick, TODAY. You MUST talk to someone. Please make a contract with us - will you promise that you agree to do NOTHING to harm yourself or others, until you have talked with someone - face to face, by phone, or email?

Who?
* A friend.
* A nurse, doctor or health worker - perhaps at your place of work or study.
* A counsellor or advisor - your place of work may have such a person.
* A religious advisor.
* Telephone BEFRIENDERS for help.
* Email SAMARITANS.

BEFRIENDERS

In many countries of the world, there are organizations called BEFRIENDERS. This movement started in Britain, under the name SAMARITANS, and now almost all countries have similar groups. They have telephone help-lines. You can phone them for help and support on any problem.

They are completely confidential - they will never tell anyone else what you have shared with them.

Not only that, if you still choose to commit suicide, they will respect your wish to do that. They will not trace the phone-call, or call emergency services, unless you ask them to. BEFRIENDERS helpers are trained to help you. They do not belong to any religion.
Go to find details of the phone numbers for your country. They start half-way down their long page.

They say, "Whatever you are going through, we will go through it with you."

SAMARITANS

The SAMARITANS are the BEFRIENDER group in Britain. They will give email help and support to anywhere in the world. They promise to email a reply back to you the same day. They will respect your wishes, and will never, ever, tell anyone else what you have told them. Their help will be non-religious. You can email them at:

jo@samaritans.org

If you cannot send email while using your browser on-line, or are not sure if you can (with some network systems it is not possible), write the Samaritans email address jo@samaritans.org down, and email them later. (If you have not set up your browser to send emails, or you are on a network, you may think that you are "sending emails" via the browser 'mailto' function, but they will not be sent.)

In UK and Northern Ireland, Samaritans national phone help line is 08457 90 90 90 available 24 hours a day at local rate. Note, you cannot dial this number from outside UK.

In Republic of Ireland, the national number is 1850 60 90 90.

In USA, Samaritans have offices in over 300 cities. Some of these addresses and phone numbers are given on the BEFRIENDERS web site. To find the US office and phone number nearest you look in OUR Suicide forum or your phone book.

You may also email us here at SOON. Write our email address down so you can use it later:
E-mail us at: answers@soon.org.uk

The Samaritans (National 24HRS) 08457 909090 their web site www.samaritans.org

Childline 0800 1111

NSPCC 0808 800 5000

National Drugs Helpline 0800 77 66 00

National AIDS Helpline 0800 567 123

Breathing Space 0800 83 85 87
a freephone helpline open 6pm - 2am 7 days. Their website www.breathingspacescotland.co.uk

Saneline 0845 767 8000
open from 12noon - 11pm Mon - Fri & 12 noon - 6pm Sat & Sun. Their website www.sane.org.uk

For more immediate help:

• call your GP and ask for an emergency appointment
  • contact your local hospital and speak to a Mental Health Crises team.
  • go to A&E and ask to see a member of psychiatric staff. Call 999 and get an ambulance if you have taken an overdose.

http://www.metanoia.org/suicide/ - if you are feeling suicidal

JustLanded.com UK-Guide/Health/Emergencies

http://www.ywbefrienders.org/

HOPELineUK: 0870 170 4000 (national call rates apply), or 01978 367333
Professional help, practical advice and information to the parents, carers, teachers, professionals and friends of young people at risk of suicide. M–F 7pm–10pm, Sat & Sun 2pm–5pm, answerphone at other times

Edited by Forum Admin, 06 June 2013 - 12:37 PM.

• Ramboinsan likes this

Be Well....

~Lindsay ღ , Forum Super Administrator
Founder, depressionforums.org

Forum Super Administrator
DF member since June 2001 goldenvelope1jr.gif  

----
"I cannot make my mark for all time...those concepts are mutually exclusive.
"Lasting effect" is a self -contradictory term.  Meaning does not exist in the future, nor do I.  
Nothing will have meaning, "ultimately."
Nothing will even mean tomorrow what it did today.  Meaning changes with the context.  
My meaningfulness is in the here and now. It is enough that I may be of value to someone today.
It is enough that I make a difference now."  ~Lindsay    

Hotlines

kumanomi.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users