Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Sleep And Celexa

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 larkinthemorning

larkinthemorning

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:47 AM

I am on day 14 of celexa and have a question about people's experiences with sleep. The first few days I took the celexa I was able to sleep well by raising my dose of trazodone to 200 mg. Then I experienced a night of no sleep, well it took me about 4-5 hours to fall asleep then I woke every hour until I got up at 8. The next night I ended up taking a klonopin to sleep in addition to the trazodone because I had lain awake in bed for 2 hours and didn't want a repeat of the night before. So basically in the past week I've either had little sleep or taken a klonopin to sleep, and now I am freaking out that this will become an ongoing pattern. My pdoc says to lay off the klonopin because I can quickly develop a tolerance to it. I don't take it every day, even if I know I won't sleep I don't take it on two consecutive nights, but I am still really concerned. I am just wondering if anyone else has had this experience with trouble falling asleep on celexa and if it went away. Thanks.

#2 Scattered13

Scattered13

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 11:11 AM

When do you take it? According to my dr it should be taken first thing in the morning as it is well known for keeping people awake if they take it too late. I take mine at night as it makes me really drowsy, or it used to. Apparently it was created as a morning med.
Dx: psychotic depression, panic disorder, rheumatoid arthitis, 'something else going on'
Rx: mirtazapine 45mg,respiridone 1mg, adalimumab 40mg, azathioprine 150mg, hydroxychloroquine 400mg, prednisolone 5mg, diclofenac sodium 150mg, codeine 30mg, zaleplon 10mg, calcium and vit.d

#3 larkinthemorning

larkinthemorning

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 11:42 AM

I take it in the morning. I wish it made me drowsy!

#4 Burgy

Burgy

Platinum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,824 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:39 PM

For the first few weeks on Celexa, I had both insomnia and daytime drowsiness. It was very annoying of course, but it did fade away. It took me about 2 months to fully adjust and get over most of the side effects. You should notice the insomnia begin to ease up soon.
Posted Image We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world. ~Buddha

#5 Smhaase86

Smhaase86

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 08:14 PM

I have been on Celexa 40mg since september. I also have very bad insomnia. I tried trazadone 50mg which worked but made me veryyyyy drowsy the next day. Then I tried lunesta 3mg which also worked but gave me a horrible metal taste in my mouth for the entire day after. Finally I tried ambien 10mg which works really great for me.

#6 Jerrica

Jerrica

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 06:41 PM

I feel your pain with the not sleeping. I am new here, just started Celexa about 3 weeks ago. I have been experiencing terrible insomnia and feel hopeless and sick and tired all the time. Work is dreadful because my eyes are always burning.

I'm wondering if the insomnia fades eventually? If you guys have had any luck? An update would be nice! I would seriously pay good money right now for a good nights rest! I feel like I've lost my ability to fall asleep, I dread going to bed every night.

#7 jamesp

jamesp

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:16 AM

That's interesting, I've been getting sleep on Celexa (Taken in the evening), but not quality sleep that makes you feel restored in the morning. I've been more sleepy and have been yawning more when I started Celexa. I think the brain just gets more stimulated by the drug. You'll just have to find the right sleep aid for your need.
"This too shall pass." -Unknown

Want someone to chat with? Contact me @ Xeon065 on AIM.

#8 larkinthemorning

larkinthemorning

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:11 AM

The not sleeping thing lasted about 3-4 weeks for me, with each week gradually getting better. Once my anxiety subsided, the sleepless nights became much less. I am now sleeping like a baby, though I still take trazodone at night. I will say that a couple of weeks ago I accidentally doubled my dose of celexa and had some trouble sleeping that night, and it wasn't anxiety but just felt like my brain was on high speed. I am working now on lowering my dose of trazodone at night because it's pretty high - 200 mg. I'd like to get it back down to 100 and of course, to stop using it completely at some point. But for now I get great sleep, so I am not anxious to start tinkering with that.

I find that doing meditation helps clear my mind in the evening, and the days I do really intense exercise (either running or spin class), I sleep soooo much better - can't keep my eyes open past 9:30. I've been trying to do that 6 days a week and it's been really helpful, both with sleep and lowering my anxiety.

So to answer your question, yes the insomnia fades, but if you're still having issues there are medications that definitely help.

Lark

#9 Jerrica

Jerrica

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 12:58 PM

The not sleeping thing lasted about 3-4 weeks for me, with each week gradually getting better. Once my anxiety subsided, the sleepless nights became much less. I am now sleeping like a baby, though I still take trazodone at night. I will say that a couple of weeks ago I accidentally doubled my dose of celexa and had some trouble sleeping that night, and it wasn't anxiety but just felt like my brain was on high speed. I am working now on lowering my dose of trazodone at night because it's pretty high - 200 mg. I'd like to get it back down to 100 and of course, to stop using it completely at some point. But for now I get great sleep, so I am not anxious to start tinkering with that.

I find that doing meditation helps clear my mind in the evening, and the days I do really intense exercise (either running or spin class), I sleep soooo much better - can't keep my eyes open past 9:30. I've been trying to do that 6 days a week and it's been really helpful, both with sleep and lowering my anxiety.

So to answer your question, yes the insomnia fades, but if you're still having issues there are medications that definitely help.

Lark

How did you bring yourself to exercise? I'm so tired and drained all the time from lack of sleep I can't bring myself to go exert myself in intense exercise. I've been doing small things like walking my dog but I don't think it's enough to put me to sleep. But I guess I should just drag my sorry butt to the gym and try.

I'm trying to avoid taking anything to help me sleep, especially sleep aids. But if I can't clear my mind maybe I'll look into asking my doc for trazedone. I did buy some meditation CD's, I listen to them and they help clear my mind during the time I'm listening, but once they're done my mind starts racing again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users