Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Does Anyone Get An Attack Right After Eating

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 hope13

hope13

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:16 PM

Hi, i started eating again after not being able too for a few days, the meds and the panic took my appitite away and I had to force water. My anxiety and depression started big time about a month ago, I started getting anxiety attacks after eating. I felt guilty during this time for gaining so much weight and i would eat bad foods, feel horrible for letting my body go and then the anxiety attacks started right after i ate, Now they happen all the time. But I can be ok , low grade anxiety and then eat and it starts real bad. I feel like im dying. In fact my hears beats so fast all the time im thinking of a beta blocker. Im wondering if food is a trigger for me? or if something else is wrong.

#2 Mercury

Mercury

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 02:39 AM

Hmm, well I have never known anybody whose panic attacks were triggered by eating but who knows. . . . .everybody's triggers are different and unique. If you are feeling guilty about a weight gain then perhaps that is causing this particular trigger? I take Verapamil and Diovan both for BP. Be sure to keep an eye on your blood pressure if you think it is running high. You poor thing; I can't imagine not being able to enjoy a meal. I hope you get this resolved soon.
"So oftentimes it happens/ That we live our lives in chains/ And we never even know we have the key . . . . " ~The Eagles

#3 Scattered13

Scattered13

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 04:54 AM

Food is one of my triggers. I was anorexic when I ws very young and my first panic attack occured in a restaurant when I was presented with a plate heaped up with food. It sounds to me like you've linked your bad feelings about eating directly to food, so unconsciously you've created a panic link.

I have found that eating small amounts when I feel like it helps with the attacks. I also only eat 'safe' foods when eating out. I hope it improves soon.
Dx: psychotic depression, panic disorder, rheumatoid arthitis, 'something else going on'
Rx: mirtazapine 45mg,respiridone 1mg, adalimumab 40mg, azathioprine 150mg, hydroxychloroquine 400mg, prednisolone 5mg, diclofenac sodium 150mg, codeine 30mg, zaleplon 10mg, calcium and vit.d

#4 hope13

hope13

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:56 AM

Food is one of my triggers. I was anorexic when I ws very young and my first panic attack occured in a restaurant when I was presented with a plate heaped up with food. It sounds to me like you've linked your bad feelings about eating directly to food, so unconsciously you've created a panic link.

I have found that eating small amounts when I feel like it helps with the attacks. I also only eat 'safe' foods when eating out. I hope it improves soon.

Yes, I really think it is a trigger for me. My panic really in the beguining stages only happened right after I ate. I feel scared to eat now. I get strange thoughts like what if I become anorexic, which is strange because I am over weight and used to over eat. Now my fear is I wont be able to eat.

#5 NYCujo79

NYCujo79

• PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 10:10 AM

It's ironic.
Your trigger is when food goes in, mine is when food comes out.
My stomach has always been the very first trigger or warning sign that a panic attack is coming.
So much so that even after knowing I had anxiety disorders I still went to a gastro and had an Endoscopy done.
(Of course it came out normal)

One of my sacrifices was eating bland foods with lots of fiber to keep me regular and keep me off the toilet as much as possible. Had to give up coffee (caffeine) as it does induce bowel movements.
I think it may be possible to do the same for you.
Start with small amounts of bland, fibrous foods like oat bran.
Something that won't get your stomach acid jumping and rumbling.
I know it's tough and even the thought of eating can give you an attack...in fact, that's the whole problem.
There's nothing wrong with your plumbing or pipes :)

Also are you being treated for this and if so, what medication are you on?

#6 zzrich

zzrich

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 02:44 AM

Hi, i started eating again after not being able too for a few days, the meds and the panic took my appitite away and I had to force water. My anxiety and depression started big time about a month ago, I started getting anxiety attacks after eating. I felt guilty during this time for gaining so much weight and i would eat bad foods, feel horrible for letting my body go and then the anxiety attacks started right after i ate, Now they happen all the time. But I can be ok , low grade anxiety and then eat and it starts real bad. I feel like im dying. In fact my hears beats so fast all the time im thinking of a beta blocker. Im wondering if food is a trigger for me? or if something else is wrong.

Hi there. I have noticed more anxiety or panic attack after eating. Cant really explain it. I have told my wife about it. Maybe her cooking is upsetting me ? :flowers: But really for me it could be that eating certain foods triggers more acid in the stomach leading to acid indigestion or reflux which I feel in the chest area . I do take acid releavers now and they help. But yeah, I have felt more anxiety after I eat sometimes. But Im a guy and its not related to worries about gaining weight or losing my figuire :hearts: Also I sometimes will get a panic attack when I am sleeping or just relaxing. I will bet that after you eat it takes energy away from your body to digest the food etc. So you are in a more relaxed state. Just some of my personnel experiences. I hope you feel better soon !

#7 Gator2010

Gator2010

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 07:27 PM

Hi there. I have noticed more anxiety or panic attack after eating. Cant really explain it. I have told my wife about it. Maybe her cooking is upsetting me ? :flowers: But really for me it could be that eating certain foods triggers more acid in the stomach leading to acid indigestion or reflux which I feel in the chest area . I do take acid releavers now and they help. But yeah, I have felt more anxiety after I eat sometimes. But Im a guy and its not related to worries about gaining weight or losing my figuire :hearts: Also I sometimes will get a panic attack when I am sleeping or just relaxing. I will bet that after you eat it takes energy away from your body to digest the food etc. So you are in a more relaxed state. Just some of my personnel experiences. I hope you feel better soon !

Hi, I have the same exact thing that you explain about. I've been trying to figure out what triggers the anxiety. I've gone to several Doctors and although my latest Doc. seems great, I don't think he can understand exactly what I'm going through, without going through it himself. After a year it's more frequent after eating dinner. I'm usually okay for breakfast. I also have it when sleeping or relaxing and sometimes for no reason at all. Despite what others think... I don't believe it's triggered by being overly worried or afraid of anything. It happens out of no where and I have no control over it. As another member explained, I too feel like I'm dieing. I've had my wife call for an ambulance on at least 5 occasions when it fealt the worst, but of course they just write me off as a mental case. If they only had to go through it, maybe they'd be more understanding. I take Xanex, but sometimes that doesn't even work. This has put a stop to my life and my wife and kids are ultimately affected by it. I'm just amazed that so many people have the same problem. I've been feeling like the only one who goes through this.

#8 northstar

northstar

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 08:24 AM

hi hope :)

just a thought, it might be a good idea to look at the foods that you're eating before you have the panic attack, it could be possible that your diet is a source of the problems. for example things like coke (or other fizzy drinks) and alcohol give me heart palpitations (rapid or irregular heartbeat), this is not because of anxiety, it is because of the reaction in my body to the sugar in these kinds of drinks. once upon a time i used to freak out when this happened, because i thought i was panicking for no reason at all, but now that i know whats happening i don't drink them as must or i'm prepared for the outcome if i do have a glass. similarly if i'm eating too much foods like take aways or pizza or white breads these will all have an effect and can make me feel bad, they play around with blood sugars and the resulting crash can make me anxious, panicked, shaky, sweaty, agitated, hyper, have ringing in my ears amongst other things. but the answer is very simple, just eating healthily and regularly and eating to keep my blood sugars stable, i can have pizza and coke, i just have to make sure that i'm not eatings those kinds of thing all the time!

if you're eating too much sugary foods, or refined carbodyhrates then these can majorly effect how you feel so it is important to look out for them.

also not eating is just as bad for you as eating the wrong things, so when you're anxious and panicked i understand that it's hard to eat, but believe me putting your body under the extra stress of not having any fuel will only make matters worse, so it is very important to eat healthy food, even if it's only a little that you can manage.

i don't want to go on too much here, i just wanted to put forward the idea that you might like to do something like keep a food & mood journal to see what you're eating and how you're feeling and if there is any link between the two :)

#9 kcm29

kcm29

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 11:14 AM

i have bi-polar disorder and i have a history of having panic attacks usually for percieved problems that aren't actually there. but lately, i find that i get that same sort of feeling of anxiety/fear after eating.. especially heavy foods... the way it feels to me though, is as if it's entirely chemical... not really connected to associations or percieved problems in my surroundings of with myself. i will be asking my doctor about that shortly...

#10 jadeane2000

jadeane2000

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 09:13 AM

Try this regimen with every meal.

Strong concoction of Achillea Mill. Betulina Barosma, Salvia Officionalis, Trigonella, Taraxacum Officionalis, Thymus Species, Urtica Urens and Peppermint tea, before and after meal followed by one piece nicotine gum (2mg).

Be sure to exclude dairy, cooking oil, wheat and non-free range meat.
Pressure cook all your food (boil grains before pr. cooking)
Jog daily.
Get sufficient fibre, magnesium, calcium (pressure cooked sardines with bones), B vitamins, Tyrosine and Taurine.
Microwave any water you drink (5 minutes HIGH); avoid tap water like the plague!
Try just 2 meals per day.

And most importantly contact your Creator, the best doctor, who won't charge you a cent!

Don't give up!

Edited by Beanchop99, 07 November 2010 - 04:23 PM.
emoticon error

#11 jadeane2000

jadeane2000

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:03 AM

"one piece nicotine gum (2mg)."

Unfortunately, nicotine can cause hairloss, so be caitioned and if you do use it, try stick to just 1 piece a day (2mg) max. If you can find a healthier alternative, go for it; I'm still searching; may try DLPA, but who knows what the side effects there are.

#12 Beanchop99

Beanchop99

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:03 PM

"one piece nicotine gum (2mg)."

Unfortunately, nicotine can cause hairloss, so be caitioned and if you do use it, try stick to just 1 piece a day (2mg) max. If you can find a healthier alternative, go for it; I'm still searching; may try DLPA, but who knows what the side effects there are.

Just about anything we consume can have SEs. I urge everyone to research drugs, including OTCs and herbal remedies, throughly before taking them. Keep in mind that different people react differently to meds. Always keep your doc well informed of all OTCs/herbals you're taking.

I care about everyone, and want make sure that we're all being smart about our treatments.

Stay safe!

:hugs:
~Bean
Truth. Beauty. Freedom. Love.
Posted Image

Suicide Hotlines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users