Advertisement

Scheduled Maintenance:

Please be aware that depressionforums will be down for a short period beginning from 02:00 EST (07:00 GMT) on Sunday 21st December for necessary maintenance. We apologise for the inconvenience and it should only take about 45 minutes.

• No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

So Hard To Get Out Of Bed

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 JennyRose

JennyRose

ID: 28030

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:43 PM

Does anyone else have this problem? I have a terrible time waking up and getting out of bed even if I have had 7-8 hrs sleep. I am feeling better and my depression is in remission right now due to wellbutrin, lexapro and therapy. When I was depressed I would immediately wake up to painful negative thoughts and I struggled to start my day. Now when I wake up my thoughts are neutral and I wonder why it was even necessary to get up so early (on time). I am then a bit late for work and on it goes.

It is so hard to wake up. It feels painful and I listen to the radio for 30 minutes. Then I make my lunch and my kids and husband, get showered and dressed, take my child to school and the train into the city. It all seems so much. Why can't I just wake up and get up? The same thing happens on the weekend, even when I am doing fun things like meeting a friend for brunch.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Hertz likes this

#2 ophelia123

ophelia123

ID: 32708

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 11:06 PM

Hey JennyRose,
I can completely identify with this. I absolutely hate getting up in the morning, no matter how much sleep I get.
It sounds like you have a lot to deal with in the mornings. I've tried a few things lately to make my mornings easier. I started showering at night so I can stay in bed a little longer. You mentioned that you make lunches in the morning. Could you do that the night before? I also try to have things really organized (clothes laid out, etc.) so I don't dread having to run around frantically and make any decisions when I wake up. If I know everything is laid out and organized it makes getting up less painful. Maybe you already do some of these things, I don't know. I wish I could offer better advice, all I can say is that you're definitely not alone in this. I think a lot of depressed people find mornings really hard.
Also, don't be too hard on yourself. Your post said 'why can't I just wake up and get up?'. Don't beat yourself up about it. Some people thrive in the morning and others don't. Just give yourself a break and do everything you can to make your mornings easier.

#3 g dean

g dean

ID: 31055

• PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 11:20 PM

I'm not a morning person either. I wait until the last possible minute before deciding I better get up. Monday mornings are especially difficult because I've been sleeping in on the weekend more now. If I can somehow drag my nonresponsive body into the shower, my routine takes over and I can get on with my day. If I change the routine, anything goes... including going back to bed.

I think having regular waking hours including weekends helps.

dean

#4 pearlseeker

pearlseeker

Gold Member

ID: 32322

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 11:35 PM

(((((JennyRose)))) :hearts: I am soooooo much the same way! I don't do mornings unless I have to!! I'm a night owl and always have been! It's always a struggle for me to go to bed early (even after sleeping very little the previous night) so getting up is like pulling teeth for me! People who spring out of bed like it's no problem stagger my mind! AHHHHH Wish I was that way though!!
"Faith consists of believing when it is beyond the power of reason to believe."

Live simply, love generously,

Care deeply, speak kindly,

Leave the rest to God

#5 tigerlily

tigerlily

ID: 16265

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 11:57 PM

I have never, ever been a morning person and if I don't have any kind of schedule to follow I stay up until early morning and sleep late. I was able to push myself to get up early for work for many years, but it's gotten more difficult in recent years. My depression certainly plays a part in it, but I think the medication does too. Like you said, it doesn't matter how much sleep I get, I just don't want to get out of bed. I've tried different ways of waking up - changing my alarms to nature sounds or gradual light - but it makes no difference. Once I'm up and showered, I'm OK. It's just torture to get up. If anyone finds the "cure", let me know!

#6 JennyRose

JennyRose

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 09:53 PM

Thanks for the ideas.

I know I should plan things out at night but I don't get home until 6 and by the time I have dinner etc. I am either not interested, want read or have a little fun or I am tired. Then I say screw it, I'll do it in the morning. Then in the morning I kick myself for not taking action the night before.

I usually put big stuff off until the weekend. I grocery shop on week nights, and sometimes go to therapy or do a few other things. At least I have lots of energy most of the day.

#7 Elbereth

Elbereth

ID: 32974

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:09 AM

Yes yes yes! Hate it!

Usually I leave it til the last possible minute, and sometimes later than that. If I have a lecture in the building next door I sometimes get up about the time the lecture is supposed to start, then get dressed in a horrible hurry and end up late. I just keep pressing that snooze button and thinking 'two more minutes...' I lie there thinking, I must get up. I must get up. Move, legs, move! And don't!

I also have this stupid thing where I tell myself I'll get up at a 'round' number - I never think I'll get up at 8.21 or 7.47, it has to end in a 5 or a 0, like 8.30 or 7.55. And when I don't make it at that set number, I wait another whole 5/10 minutes til another 'round' number comes round! Bizarre.

Even if I'm going somewhere I want to go, like to see friends, I can't get up.

Even if I desperately need the loo or a drink of water I stay in bed. Even if I'm far too hot and sweaty.

I hate that whole business of getting showered, getting dressed, packing my bag... it'd be so much easier if we could just click our fingers and be ready!

I found an article online once that said you can 'train' yourself to get up at the alarm. You literally practise it - in the evening, you put on your pjs, get in bed, wait ten minutes pretending to be asleep, have the alarm go off, get up, get dressed... repeat. And repeat and repeat. It's supposed to hard-wire a response into you. I've never tried it...

Edited by Elbereth, 29 January 2009 - 10:11 AM.

#8 andy12345

andy12345

ID: 33303

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 01:22 PM

For those of you morning haters /night owls (like me )

have a google of Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome.

It was very interesting for me to find it although I think dysthymia is still a major prob for me.

#9 JennyRose

JennyRose

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 04:30 PM

It was very interesting for me to find it although I think dysthymia is still a major prob for me.

Thanks Andy. I struggled with dysthymia for a long time. I actually thought it was OK because I wasn't in a major depression.

#10 hoolio1978

hoolio1978

ID: 34998

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 01:55 AM

Thanks Andy. I struggled with dysthymia for a long time. I actually thought it was OK because I wasn't in a major depression.

I did the google search, and saved the results so as to take to my Dr. It very much describes my sleep patterns. I have been diagnosed with having dystymia for years, although recently with "severe depression with insomnia". I have also had problems with "insomnia" for years. But what I read about DSPS fits my patterns much more accurately. I have always been a night owl, always worked great working night shifts but have struggled for years now working day shifts (everyone else I know got used to getting up in the morning but I haven't). The article I found specifically mentioned asking a family member to get you up in the morning - my daughter always checks to see if I have heard my alarm and quite regularly wakes me up. I would like nothing better than to relieve her of that duty - she is 11 and it is not her job to get me up in the morning. Thanks for posting this!
I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
I know, right now you can't tell
But stay awhile and maybe then you'll see
A different side of me

#11 Archer

Archer

ID: 21373

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 02:26 PM

i hate mornings and i have an incredible problem to get up of the bed. I dont like to the sun rise, i dont like happy people who get up like it was nothing. Sometimes i think it's a disease.
I know i can win. Please why life is so good to some people and so horrible and difficult to others.. like me?

#12 chicoresch

chicoresch

Just Registered

ID: 35096

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:50 PM

hellooo....

i have the same problem. also, i find it difficult to get to sleep at night. perhaps one causes the other. being a sufferer i'm sure your counsellor has told you this many times but i have found physical activity works wonders. i know it might be difficult to do but try going for a long walk (or other cardio) a couple hours before going to bed. you will sleep well and feel more energetic in the morning. thats been my experience at least. try it out.

good luck.

chico

#13 Guest_Abomination_*

Guest_Abomination_*

ID: 0

• Guests

Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:46 AM

I'm the same, I love being asleep. Not having to worry about anything then. It's a real struggle to get up.

#14 Melrudin

Melrudin

ID: 35069

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:49 AM

I've never been a morning person. My friends who have seen me in the morning can attest to this. Even before I got depressed, I would never talk to anyone in the morning and would just glare at them/ignore them if they tried to talk to me. And now I'm finding it even harder to get up in the morning. Sometimes it even seems like I'm afraid to get up in the morning. I'll lay in bed absolutely terrified of getting out of bed and starting the day. >< It seems to have abated over the past few days, but I used to get that really bad and, if it weren't for my horribly annoying alarm that I have to get out of bed to turn off, I would've missed so many classes because of it.

#15 arizona11

arizona11

Just Registered

ID: 49875

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:18 PM

Hey everyone,

I have this issue and struggle to get out of bed almost every morning. I know I have to be up for work and I'll even set about 3 alarms but sometimes I'll even sleep right through them or turn them off without even realizing it. I am currently looking into ways that will help people like us physically get out of bed. As much as I don't want to, I know I have to and I want to be able to get out of bed. I don't want to keep asking friends and family to call me and make sure I have woken up. I would much rather get up on my own.

I'm sick of sleeping in on accident and not being able to even drag myself out of bed. I want to find a way to get people out of bed, even if they don't quite want to. I still have a job and a family I need to be up for and I want to be up for them. So I need something to help me get up each day, even if I haven't quite yet conquered the bad feelings that come iwth getting out of bed. That is a whole other story. My point is, while I am trying to find help and the right medications I still need to get out of bed in the morning.

So, if any of you could reply to this and let me know your thoughts that would be great. It would really be helpful in my research on the topic. Would you be interested in something that would help you physically get out of bed in the morning and at least be on your feet and getting dressed? Maybe its not as serious a problem for everyone, but for me I literally can't even fall out of bed its just too hard.

Please let me know your thoughts because I'd like to continue my research, but I need to know if its even a potential possibility before I do so.

Thank you, hang in there everyone!

Does anyone else have this problem? I have a terrible time waking up and getting out of bed even if I have had 7-8 hrs sleep. I am feeling better and my depression is in remission right now due to wellbutrin, lexapro and therapy. When I was depressed I would immediately wake up to painful negative thoughts and I struggled to start my day. Now when I wake up my thoughts are neutral and I wonder why it was even necessary to get up so early (on time). I am then a bit late for work and on it goes.

It is so hard to wake up. It feels painful and I listen to the radio for 30 minutes. Then I make my lunch and my kids and husband, get showered and dressed, take my child to school and the train into the city. It all seems so much. Why can't I just wake up and get up? The same thing happens on the weekend, even when I am doing fun things like meeting a friend for brunch.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#16 anya belle

anya belle

ID: 45845

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:34 PM

I have never been a morning person.......Depression has made this worse. I have a very hard time motivating myself to get out of bed in the morning. most mornings I have to repeat to myself "you are lucky to have a job and insurance. Go to work." some days are more difficult than others. you are not alone.

#17 jhblue

jhblue

ID: 49148

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:00 AM

Well, I have the opposite end of the spectrum, I still cant get up but I cant sleep past 5 a.m no matter what time I go to bed. I wake up with horrible thoughts and nervous tension in my stomach. I would love to sleep past the alarm!

J

#18 Hibiscit

Hibiscit

Just Registered

ID: 112812

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:16 PM

I am right there with ya'll. I would love to be a morning person, get up to have a cup of coffee while watching the sun rise in the coolest time of day (especially in Florida).

I struggle to get out of bed when I'm so, SO comfortable. I like to lay there comfortably, but then when I dose off for another hour I hate myself for not getting up to start doing things on weekends. On workdays, I just want to sleep longer, and I dread the tasks of getting things ready to go to work and it's hard to wake my four-year-old up too.

I'm going to try doing things at night--get my munchkin to bed earlier, take my shower, lay out clothes and make lunch. I also feel tired in the evening to where I don't even want to do those things. But I'm going to try.

The other thing I need to try is making time for exercise. They say that helps a lot too. I'll hopefully give you all an update to see how it works. If anyone has seen improvement by doing some of these things or some thing else, please post.

#19 acerz

acerz

ID: 84633

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:56 PM

Mornings are the worst. I go from dreaming where everything is peaceful and happy, to reality where depression weighs me down. I want to go back to sleep so bad, back to the peaceful dreams. But I have to find a way to get up and function. Sometimes I do; often I don't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users