Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lvg

Bupropion & Decreased Sex Drive?

7 posts in this topic

Posted

A little background info:

Age mid 20's

Diagnosed bipolar (no specific type - more of Type II IMO)

ADHD & LD symptoms all my life, have been taking 5-10mg Dexedrine spansules for 3 months

Have been taking 150mg Lamictal for mood stabilizer for about 11 months.

I took Bupropion for about 6 months to curb smoking. I was diagnosed BP, but honestly I'm not totally convinced but who knows?

I went up in dose from 50 > 75 > 150 > 300 and stayed at 300 for most of the duration. I found that my sex drive became increasingly deficient to the point where I did not even think about the opposite sex. I didn't *********, become aroused (literally) look at women etc.

After I weaned off the Bupropion I thought my sex drive would come back, but it's been 6 months and there's only been a very small 'improvement' in that area.

It could be that the Lamotrigine has me so 'neutral' that my libido is just that- neutral. I remember prior to the mood stabilizer I would have short bouts of hypo sexuality (more frequent *************)

Anyone have a similar experience? ZERO libido?

You might also be interested in:

Posted

Wellbutrin (from what I know) usually doesn't affect libido. I went back several pages in this room and did not see any topics about libido.

The Dexidrine or Lamictal (or the combination) maybe affecting your libido. Consult with your pdoc for feedback and advice.

Sheepwoman

Posted

Wellbutrin definitely lowered my sex drive, but worse than that, sex just sucked when I did have it.

It's relatively uncommon to have sexual side effects at all on wellbutrin, but since it does mess with those neurotransmitters and hormones and junk, there's always a possibility of something changing.

Posted

Wellbutrin is known for having a neutral to positive affect on libido for most people. It increases dopamine, which helps with motivation and the ability to experience pleasure. Not just sexual, but motivation and pleasure in general.

You've been on two other meds for under a year, so maybe those have something to do with it. It's hard to pinpoint what med is responsible for what when you're on more than one. Hopefully as you continue to adjust to your meds, your libido will return.

Posted

I can say from my experience that it definitely lowered my sex drive..(not ability) but I can't imagine it doing so six months down the road...I know its out of your system relatively quickly when getting off so its more likely it is one of your other medications.

Posted

Wellbutrin actually seems to have improved my sex drive.

I am very new to wellbutrin. It has been almost two weeks now.

Just over six months ago, I ended a relationship when my depression took a turn for the worst.

Now for the fist time in over half a year I am feeling it return.

It could just be the depression fading away though.

I have not felt like myself for a long time.

Posted

I took wellbutrin 150 xl for 2 weeks and couldn't even think of sex. I didn't feel sexual feelings or horny. My libido disappeared. I'm not on any other medication and usually have sex everyday