Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Do You have trouble getting words..

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

#1 AngelWithin

AngelWithin

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 02:43 AM

I wondered ..if anyone else has trouble getting what they want to say..to actually get down to their mouth and come out right.
I know one other friend who has told me this.

I will want to explain something and I get panicked when i have to speak.I stumble and stammer can't always say what I want. Esp. on the phone..which I avoid as much as I can.
I have to be very relaxed with someone , in order to be able to talk "right".

Edited by AngelWithin, 22 November 2005 - 02:45 AM.

#2 Penny64

Penny64

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 08:06 AM

I absoluty HATE the phone. I seem to repeat myself over and over again because I want the person to understand and I am not seeing their expressions. If they are quiet and not giving me feedback, I really get panicked!!!
I have a hard time with mixing my words up when I am talking. Its so embarassing. If I am uncomfortable its much worse.
I feel for you hon because I am right there with you! :hearts:

Lynnie :bump:

Let your past make you better, not bitter.

#3 Epic

Epic

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 10:34 AM

You're not alone, my mouth can rarely keep up with my thoughts most of the time which causes me to speak backwards, speak in fragmented sentences, stutter, stammer and get extremely frustrated to the point of just having to stop and force myself to say what I need to say as slowly and articulately as I possibly can.
So understand
Dont waste your time always
Searching for those wasted years
Face up... make your stand
And realise youre living in the golden years.

#4 DeeJay

DeeJay

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 11:17 AM

I know also how you feel. I end up forgetting what I am going to say or stutter and words come out in a rush. I then have to take stalk of the situation and deliberately slow my speech down. I end up blowing out whoo! to steady myself if that makes sense!
If you are going through hell keep going

Dorothy x

Posted Image

#5 nicolee

nicolee

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 11:50 AM

I do that constantly. It's worse when I get tired. My husband gets quite amused when I start speaking my own language. Most of the time it's because my mind draws a blank.

#6 SchroedingersCat

SchroedingersCat

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 01:19 PM

Yep, when I am hypomanic/manic my mouth has a hard time keeping up with my brain. I will speak in partial sentences jumping from topic to topic as my mind races through thoughts at a thousand miles an hour.
SC Posted Image

#7 Empty

Empty

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 10:48 AM

Oh yeah-
I think that's why I like to write so much. E-mail is my salvation. Even when I'm not totally over the edge of mania my words come out wrong. My mouth just can't keep up with my brain. Makes business meetings and presentations a true joy, let me tell you!! Add a bit of mania to the mix and there's just no telling what's going to spew from my mouth. Wrong names. Words get out of order. I stutter & stammer....a true conversational genius! Anybody know the answer? Anybody know how to make it quit? What I wouldn't do to be able to carry on an intelligent conversation! Other than in my mind!
I can see the humorous side of things and enjoy the fun when it comes; but look where I will, there seems to me always more sadness than joy in life.

-Jerome K. Jerome

#8 jillivinilly

jillivinilly

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 5,074 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 01:49 PM

I often have a hard time expressing myself verbally.
What really cracks me up is when I can't think of words so I have to describe it...like 'hand me things that cut paper' (can we say scissors?) or 'put that thing that you set your dishes on on the table' (all together now...placemat). I use far more words to describe what I can't think of the word for LOL!
Into the Great Wide Open - Tom Petty
Posted Image

#9 AngelWithin

AngelWithin

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 07:30 PM

I have done that jilly. Like.."Where is the the thing that you use to change the tv channels?"
My Pdoc got used to me and usually knew what I was trying to say. Or he would throw out a guess.
My mom does alot of fragmented sentences, too.
The whole thing gets embarrassing. :hearts:

Edited by AngelWithin, 25 November 2005 - 07:34 PM.

#10 tinybit

tinybit

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 07:17 AM

:hearts: jill you made me laugh this morning. i thought i was the only one that made people guess the words i was trying to say lol.
me tiny

#11 AngelWithin

AngelWithin

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 01:11 PM

I called my NuPdoc's secretary this morning to let her know I still haven't received the papers I sign to transfer records from the old Doc.

She answered and I said, "yes Maam, I was..Umm I need..Uh I'll start again." I thought I heard her sigh!

She isn't as friendly as old Pdoc's secretary..but I would think she would be used to all kinds of things.

#12 mercycove

mercycove

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 08:10 AM

Yes, oh yes! My friend Jacquieand I call it getting our 'nickels mixed up with our quarters.' Have you ever seen those plastic banks where if you put a coin in the top it will automatically roll the coin to it's correct destination? You know, knickels go to the knickel slots, dimes, to the dime slots, pennies to the penny slot, quarters to the quarter slot. When I am having getting my words right, it's like I put in a nickel but it slides right into the quarter spot, then I have to start all over! It is so frustrating. If she or I are talking and this starts to happen, we just say to each other "nickels and quarters' and the other understands what is going on.

I know this can be frustrating. I'm sorry.

Mercycove :hearts:

Edited by mercycove, 29 November 2005 - 08:11 AM.

#13 Kitkat

Kitkat

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 02:24 PM

I too have a very hard time with this. I know what I want to say, but I blurt it out in some sort of unwitty fragmant, and end up sounding like a complete *****. Iam in the process of interviewing for a new job, and I honestly think I may have blown a few of them due to this problem. I would be asked a question, and feel panicked. It was like I was speaking in fragments!! When I would be driving home from the interview I think to myself, " I should have said this or I should have done that!!" Some people may think it's nerves, but this happens far too often. Even in social situations. I have to either know the person Iam speaking to well, or feel very comfortable in order for me to process the words right. Oh, I feel HOPELESS!! Since I've been on Prozac (about 3 weeks now) this problem seems to have gotten somewhat better. I like to think of myself as an average intelligent person, but when I speak I feel as if I sometimes sound like a first grader!! I always struggle to get the words out, and its not a studdering issue. Does anybody know what causes this?? Any suggestions on fixing this would be much appreciated!!! :hearts:

Jennifer :bump:

#14 fina

fina

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 11:04 AM

Is this a symptom of bi-polar or is it just something that people seem to have regardless? I do exactly the same thing - speaking in half-sentences, forgetting simple words. My favorite word at the moment is 'deeley' as in 'the deeley that does the thing' (while simultaneously doing the hand signals for changing the TV channel on a remote). I actually say that and have to use hand gestures to convey what it is I want! :hearts: I used to think it was just cos my shyness that my mind would go blank, but it even happens at home, more and more these days it seems. Must be getting old or something!
Hanging on in quiet desperation

#15 Belle

Belle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 09:58 AM

OMG! My innermost thoughts have been displayed for all to see...My family thinks this is amusing most of the time....except when I'm trying to tell them something, and I just fade off....my kids have to practically drag me back from my void, and then I can't remember what I was talking about anyway...very frustrating for all involved! The thing I hate the most is not remembering the correct word and substituting another one in it's place..I know what I'm trying to say, but usually no one else does....hubby patiently waits for me to find the word and I can usually find it after stopping, looking inside my mind for a picture and kinda search through a dictionary til it appears. That is the easy part, the hard part is getting it from my mind to my mouth without any detours! Geez!!!
I have been on Lithium for about 4 yrs, and in the last 2 yrs at least, my memory has gone for a big poo....I used to be great with numbers, names, dates, and now I can't remember what happened yesterday.....My pdoc thinks the two are not related, especially at this stage of the game, but I am not convinced. He wants me to try something new (I just tried lamitrogene and was quite ill the first night and then developed severe muscle pain in my legs and arms, sooooo....not taking that stuff any more!) :shocked:
I see him again next week and we'll try another.......
I am glad this subject was brought up, well done! Once again I am reminded that I am not alone in my fishbowl, which is good.... :hearts:

Belle :bump:
Well, I guess what doesn't **** me can only make me stronger....

#16 Andrew

Andrew

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 12:27 PM

I've only recently started to forget a word then I try and describe it. It isn't till after the person says what it is that I remember
My health is a full time job

#17 SpiraMirabilis

SpiraMirabilis

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 12:27 AM

I wondered ..if anyone else has trouble getting what they want to say..to actually get down to their mouth and come out right.
I know one other friend who has told me this.

I just recently (around 30 minutes ago actually) called the little 800 # listed on the back of my insurance card for 'behavioral health' so that I can see a doctor which I am already terrified about, so the phone call talking to just some schmuck wasn't that pleasant.

And I talk to people on the phone regularly as part of my job too! (I'm a property and casualty underwriter for a major insurance company, and simultaneously a student.)

#18 tlmorowsky

tlmorowsky

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 07:55 AM

I've found when I'm down.. I just want people to know what I'm trying to say cuz I don't feel like saying it. Repeating and looking for the right words is too frustrating. I generally give up. When I am feeling normal, I can ussually express myself pretty good. But when I'm down, forget it...I don't even know half the time what I'm trying to say.. My thoughts and feelings get so tangled up that my words and sentences come out like a an unfinished crossword puzzle.

#19 dolphingirl

dolphingirl

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 01:27 PM

Yeah, I do all the time. I am always stammering trying to get words out. Sometimes they come out wrong and people look at me weird. I like say, Can you hand me that thingy over there. I just cant think of what to call things sometimes. My mind is going so fast that I think I need some brakes to slow it down. My family always makes fun of me. And I laugh too. But ya can only take it so much that it becomes annoying. And my Sis-in-law, forget it she gets on my nerves w/ repeating herself over and over again. I have to really bite my tounge. I know she must have a problem w/ doing it but, geeez. So, I just try to be a good person and listen to it over and over again. Well that's my story. :hearts:
Neverlookdownyoumightmisstherainbow!

#20 sunflower75

sunflower75

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 08:23 PM

Geez, I can really relate to this thread. I sometimes forget what it was I was saying, right in the middle of a sentence, or my thoughts just race, and it's like I'm trying to beat the clock and express every single thought in my brain. It's crazy, and it's really fun for the people who deal with on a regular basis.

#21 truthseeker

truthseeker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 06:17 AM

My mind gets so confused that I have to give up trying to be clever or funny. I just have to stay quiet, and then speak without thinking so that at least something comes out. It's usually a really dull or basic thing to say, or else unfunny and uncool. But it's better than nothing, I usually say to myself. I do miss being socially on-the-ball though.

#22 justtired

justtired

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 11:56 PM

has anyone been told they were dyslexic? i think that is mis diaganose.

I also do this with words but i have tamed it by taking a deep breath before i speak. like i am thinking of the best answer. just seems to work for me. i have trouble writing too. 2 half words or missing letters. if i am doing 2 or 3 things at once, i have no issues at all.

#23 playaplaya43

playaplaya43

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 10:46 PM

When talking to my dad I feel as though I better carefully watch what I say or I may feel stupid, he makes me feel intimidated and sorta scared cause he's pretty ****ed up in the head to....i really only cant talk around people that Im not comfortable around, and because any 'new' person I meet I dont know , im am uncomfortable around which makes it hard to get to know new ppl.

#24 euthyphro

euthyphro

• PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 11:13 PM

it's amazing the things people have in common. i thought i was alone with this one. i can never keep up with my brain. when i talk i stutter, and skip several words at a time. when i write i even mix words at different ends of the sentence. like: "when i write i mix wordences." a lot of times when i proofread i have to stop and wonder what i was trying to say. the only thing that has helped me are the speech classes i took in community college. i joined the debate/speech team and those competitions really helped. i even won first place for a speech in state finals, and was a finalist in debate during nationals. in speech events you have a time limit and memorized speeches, that helped me to pace myself. in debate you take fast paced notes on your opponent's speeches and then give your own speech based on those notes. that helped me organize my thoughts. together it was an invaluable experience that has helped me in my writing, and in my people/interview skills. i highly recomend it to anyone with the spare time for it.
In the beginning God told a joke. The joke was humanity, life is the punchline.

#25 moiraine

moiraine

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 11:26 PM

I keep talking about my experiences with Tegretol because that drug knocked me on my a*s for 10 years or more. There was nothing in my brain. I was embarrassed to talk to anyone because I'd start a sentence and draw a blank in the middle. I could not keep up my end of the conversation. I used "thingy" a lot to fill in for words I couldn't remember. Now on Lamictal my words are back in my head to use. I remember when manic everyone was soooooooo sloooooooow. The way they moved, the length of time it took to complete a task, and the slow way they talked. No body could keep up with me because I was going from one subject to another. I was told later that I was talking so fast my words all started to run together and nobody could understand anything I said. You know, I wish the Net was around when I was younger and going thru all this. I could have really used the support and advice that others with the same problem could have given me. On another thread I visited they had a poll, "how old are you?" In the replies was a young girl aged 13. That was me in 1968. Hopefully this young person, by belonging here, will be able to head off the worst of her mental problem just by reading posts and taking advantage of all the information that's here :hearts:
Posted Image
Posted Image Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmas-time. - Laura Ingalls Wilder

#26 Jamster85

Jamster85

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:10 AM

Hi i am new, i know this thread is old but it came up on the search engine and reading through this thread it seems to reflect how i am at the moment.

I've always been a bit quiet and not as outgoing as others but i got a lot better after university and starting work which built my confidence up.

But recently (past 12 - 24 months ish) i have been experiencing the following:

1. Struggle greatly to piece a sentence together properly, i know what i want to say in my head but it doesn't always come out right. A lot of the time i will mix up words in the sentence (words in the wrong order).

2. I struggle to form a sentence some times without stuttering / pausing mid sentence. My mine sometimes goes blank (i know what i want to say initially but my mind will go blank mid sentence sometimes and i'll forget what i wanted to say or i'll know what i want to say but cannot get the words out or find the right words!)

3. I will forget common sayings / phrases and i can sit there trying to think what the saying is for ages (very frustrating!) Also forget words for things, simple everyday words.

4. Started talking very slow, especially on phone which winds my GF up immensely (think she may be part of the problem!)

5. Short term memory bad!

6. Personality changed i think, used to be a bit of a joker, still am to an extent but that relies on you being whitty and getting quick one liners out which i now get mixed up / stutter / pause which is funny just in a different way lol!!

I'm late 20's, have a young daughter (which i look after 80% of time) and having issues with my GF along with stress of work.

Has anyone tried 5-HTP? Considering giving that ago before doctor?

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users