Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Going Off Effexor And Onto Prozac

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jenny4444

jenny4444

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 05:01 PM

I want to go off Effexor and I saw my Dr. today. She told me to stop the Effexor and go on Prozac for 3 months and then stop the prozac. I have been reading the posts about the horrible withdrawl syptoms of going off Effexor and I am afraid I won't be able to handle it.

I have been taking 75mg of Effexor for 6 years now. I started taking it because I had vertigo. The vertigo was gone about a year after I started taking it and I have been ready to go off the E for 5 years but every time I tried, I felt so horrible with the withdrawl symptoms that I went back on it.

What should I expect when switching from Effexor to Prozac and what is the best way to do it with out feeling the strong withdrawl symptoms?

-Jenny

#2 Guest_saturnish_*

Guest_saturnish_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2009 - 12:32 AM

I want to go off Effexor and I saw my Dr. today. She told me to stop the Effexor and go on Prozac for 3 months and then stop the prozac. I have been reading the posts about the horrible withdrawl syptoms of going off Effexor and I am afraid I won't be able to handle it.

I have been taking 75mg of Effexor for 6 years now. I started taking it because I had vertigo. The vertigo was gone about a year after I started taking it and I have been ready to go off the E for 5 years but every time I tried, I felt so horrible with the withdrawl symptoms that I went back on it.

What should I expect when switching from Effexor to Prozac and what is the best way to do it with out feeling the strong withdrawl symptoms?

-Jenny

All I can say is, good luck. I only took Effexor for about 3 months and then switched to Prozac. It was terrible. I was extremely light-headed and dizzy. I also got really bad shocks every time I moved too quickly. It sounds like you're in for a similar experience. It lasted for about a week (maybe two) for me, and then just kinda vanished. I tapered down off of the Effexor, and for maybe one week I was taking a very low dosage of it and starting my Prozac. My best advice is to take it easy for a week or two. If you can possibly take off of work, do it. Effexor is a terrible drug, in my opinion. It will tear you up. Just take it slow for awhile and let your body process the chemicals. Prozac is much more gentile.

#3 jenny4444

jenny4444

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 01:46 AM

-Jenny

All I can say is, good luck. I only took Effexor for about 3 months and then switched to Prozac. It was terrible. I was extremely light-headed and dizzy. I also got really bad shocks every time I moved too quickly. It sounds like you're in for a similar experience. It lasted for about a week (maybe two) for me, and then just kinda vanished. I tapered down off of the Effexor, and for maybe one week I was taking a very low dosage of it and starting my Prozac. My best advice is to take it easy for a week or two. If you can possibly take off of work, do it. Effexor is a terrible drug, in my opinion. It will tear you up. Just take it slow for awhile and let your body process the chemicals. Prozac is much more gentile.

Thank you for the advice. I won't be able to take off work because I have no vacation time right now. Do you think I will be able to work through it? I just sit at a desk all day. How many mg's were you on when you were on the Effexor and how many were you on with the prozac?

#4 surfergirl

surfergirl

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 02:19 AM

i would rather go down to 37.5mg first and sitting there for a couple of weeks before starting the prozac and then go off the effexor and onto the prozac. don't know if you would need 3 months of prozac though?

#5 psychocandy

psychocandy

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 05:06 AM

i would rather go down to 37.5mg first and sitting there for a couple of weeks before starting the prozac and then go off the effexor and onto the prozac. don't know if you would need 3 months of prozac though?

Yes, you do need to do things slowly with effexor but its not necessaily going to be bad.

I went from 225Mg to zero in about 3 weeks with NO PROBLEMS AT ALL. YMMV !!!!!

Seems like a good idea to go to 37.5 first though.
"Every day when I wake up I thank the Lord I'm Welsh" - Catatonia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users