Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Zoloft Vs. Sertaline (generic)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 crashtst

crashtst

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:39 PM

I know the packaging says both Zoloft (Brand Name) and Sertaline (Generic) are the same, says the FDA, yada yada, but we all know that brand vs. generic isn't always the same with some meds.

As I'm new to Zoloft, I'm curious whether those who've used both can attest to any differences, or if in this case, both are pretty much the same.

#2 Ajumbledmess

Ajumbledmess

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:24 PM

I know the packaging says both Zoloft (Brand Name) and Sertaline (Generic) are the same, says the FDA, yada yada, but we all know that brand vs. generic isn't always the same with some meds.

As I'm new to Zoloft, I'm curious whether those who've used both can attest to any differences, or if in this case, both are pretty much the same.

From person experience, I see no difference. but I imagine that it could if a person was very sensitve.

Posted ImageAjumbledmessPosted Image

"Sometimes we need to hurt in order to grow we must fail in order to know we must lose in order to gain some lessons are learned best through pain."

#3 Luthien

Luthien

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 10:58 PM

My doctor just put me on 50 mg of the sertraline generic, and I've taken Zoloft in the past. She said that in the generic they've changed a few of the components and that I might feel different. I think it depends on the person.
"They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself."
~Andy Warhol

#4 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,847 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 05:20 PM

The active components/ingredients of brand name drugs are the same in the generic forms. The only difference is the fillers used to form the pill may be different. Ask your pharmacist.

I've taken both types and found no difference in effectiveness.
Sheepwoman
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#5 newtech

newtech

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 03:31 PM

i ask my doctor and said:

"never take generic..even take half dose but branded".
on a bad monetary period i took generic..didnt notice nothing untill after 2 months when i realize i was much worst.
buy brand and after 2 days my mood start going up.

#6 whoacrazydani1

whoacrazydani1

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:46 PM

i ask my doctor and said:

"never take generic..even take half dose but branded".
on a bad monetary period i took generic..didnt notice nothing untill after 2 months when i realize i was much worst.
buy brand and after 2 days my mood start going up.

I really don't feel there is a difference at all... i think it's bull

#7 freeatlast2

freeatlast2

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 09:09 AM

I notice many people on here take the generic celexa...but for me I tried going to generic to save money three times in a row over 5 months, and everytime the symptoms would return....and when I'd go back to the brand I could FEEL the difference right away...and God knows I WANTED to LIKE the generic!

Now I've switched to Lexapro and get it from a Canada pharmacy. I'll let everyone know what happens. My first batch was a sample from the dr. and changing from Celexa to Lexapro has been interesting...headaches and more anxiety...alert and awake more....I don't know. I'm going to try it for 4 weeks and may switch back to Celexa.....My ears ring a little...notice at night mostly and one other personal se, but "doable".

#8 newtech

newtech

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 05:58 PM

i want to add that difference between zoloft (pfizer) and generic depends 100% about who is making the generic one.
at least on my country generic sucks...maybe on ee.uu they have better standards.

#9 cdwriteme

cdwriteme

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:01 AM

For me, the brand name is noticeably more effective than the generics. Maybe the buffers have something to do with it. Maybe the handling. It's not hard to imagine boxes being left in the heat at the factory or on the truck, ship, etc...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users