Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

I Want To Stop Xanax.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 someone733

someone733

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 06:05 PM

Hi
I have Generalized anxiety disorder and major depression I知 on xanax or ativan for about 9 years now I don't feel the panic attacks not because I知 fine but because I知 taking xanax everyday 1 mg .
I can't stop xanax even if I just try to reduce the dose the attacks starts slowly I知 not happy with depending on xanax but I can't live my life expecting the attacks it痴 hard please tell me is it ok to take xanax, am I an addict I really want to find a solution for my anxiety and fears I want to sleep without bad dreams but I can稚.

#2 NYCujo79

NYCujo79

• PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 06:48 PM

Hi
I have Generalized anxiety disorder and major depression I知 on xanax or ativan for about 9 years now I don't feel the panic attacks not because I知 fine but because I知 taking xanax everyday 1 mg .
I can't stop xanax even if I just try to reduce the dose the attacks starts slowly I知 not happy with depending on xanax but I can't live my life expecting the attacks it痴 hard please tell me is it ok to take xanax, am I an addict I really want to find a solution for my anxiety and fears I want to sleep without bad dreams but I can稚.

First, take a nice deep breath :hearts:

I've been on and off again with Celexa and Xanax for going on 3 years. I'll take it religously as prescribed (never abuse it) and then I'll feel like "Hey, I don't need these stupid pills to be healthy!" and throw them away. Just like you, the panic attacks come back and I'm right back to the pills.

It's been a love hate affair and right now I've got an appointment with my Pdoc to get my first prescription since last March..and though I tell myself this time I'll take them, who knows what the future holds?

My feelings have somewhat changed over the years and it seems to me you aren't abusing them, like popping 15 pills a day, so if they are truly helping you and not harming you, I'd recommend taking your daily dosage.

You are NOT an addict.
Your brain just needs a little tweaking to feel normal, just like the majority of us here :flowers:

#3 Trevor

Trevor

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:32 PM

Hi

Hey, i've been taking xanax for about 15 years as needed. I take .25mg or sometimes .50mg for situational anxiety (flying, crowds, racing mind). When I get really bad I will take .25 and 9:00am and .25 at 3:00pm to avoid the panic altogether. 1mg a day is not too extreme. Up to 3mg a day can be prescribed. YOU ARE NOT AN ADDICT! I use to feel the same as you "I don't want to HAVE to rely on a drug the rest of my life"....... but it is worth it to me to NOT go through miserable panic constantly. BEst of luck and hang in there!

#4 Luthien

Luthien

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:10 PM

My BF was taking Xanax for anxiety and panic, and then switched to Klonopin (which he doesn't have to take as often...about .25 mg a day). The problem he's had is that no matter what, your body builds up a tolerance to the medication, and stopping it can lead to withdrawal symptoms. He's extremely sensitive, so if he's off by even a little bit, he suffers all day. And if he makes a cut in his dosage (he's been trying to wean himself for years) he suffers for days on end.

I'm not trying to scare you, I'm just saying don't stop at once, you have to wean yourself off, and you have to tell your doctor what you're doing. Also, listen to your body. If anything feels wrong, call your doctor.
"They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself."
~Andy Warhol

#5 Terranaught

Terranaught

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:12 PM

Xanax is little more than a Martini without the calories. I have had Xanax addictions and they ain't fun to kick--I did experience small seizures especially when trying to sleep. A psychiatrist helped me get off Xanax by prescribing Librium which is still a benzo but almost transparent. I took the Librium for about a month and then dispensed with it. I then started taking small dose Seroquel at night for sleeplessness which is not habit forming. I dig Xanax but it's every bit the "crutch".

#6 Bowtech

Bowtech

• PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:33 PM

I dig Xanax but it's every bit the "crutch".

That is the truth. I am prescribed 9 mg's of Xanax a day, and am weaning myself off it. My doctor doesn't recommend me doing it so soon, having only been on that dosage for three months, but I feel it is necessary. Adderall stops my panic attacks, and is a heck of a lot better than a benzo, especially Xanax. I wish you the best of luck, because as I know, we both need it.

Edited by Bowtech, 12 January 2009 - 10:34 PM.

#7 Mercury

Mercury

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:37 AM

Hi Someone,
I just came off Xanax myself hon and it was pretty hard. I still feel, well, as my post says, "like a jitterbug." I took 1mg three times a day for YEARS. I can't believe I have done it actually. I am on Prozac and if not for that I probably wouldn't have managed. I'm still scared I'm going to panic but I'm holding steady, almost on Week 2 now. So it CAN be done. You just have to make sure you're ready and have something as a backup, which I consider my Prozac to be. I totally understand what you're saying about the "love/hate" relationship with your Xanax. It felt like Xanax was a beloved friend all these years, yet at the same time I wished I didn't need it.
"So oftentimes it happens/ That we live our lives in chains/ And we never even know we have the key . . . . " ~The Eagles

#8 someone733

someone733

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 06:56 PM

thank you all for your support.

#9 makeswell

makeswell

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:34 PM

There are other ways to treat anxiety and depression. I used to be very angry and then I did compassion meditation which, by practicing for maybe 20 to 40 minutes a day for three or four months, changed me so that I became one of the happiest kids in my classes (as proven by the fact that I laughed the most out of everybody). Dramatic change for such a minimal effort.

I don't understand why xanax is seen as the best way to treat anxiety and depression. There are other ways. If you want more information on these you can see the scientific studies done by Richard Davidson on people who've practiced this meditation style by googling his name, or some other means. Basically the brain grows in areas that deal with happiness and emotional balance, and so people become less angry, like I did, after practicing 'wishing well for others' for a couple months.

There's also Mindfulness. There's already info about this on the Wikipedia page "Mindfulness (psychology)" showing how brains change, and they change as a result of experience and as a result of meditation. So, there are other ways.

Feel free to contact via email if you're interested. Also, the cds and books by Matthieu Ricard are a wonderful resource about compassion meditation. There's also a lot of info about mindfulness, which can be practiced 'off or on the cushion' throughout everyday life by just practicing being more aware of our sensations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users