Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

More On Wellbutrin

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Forum Admin

Forum Admin

Admin Team

ID: 4

• Super Administrators
  • 14,478 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 06:13 PM

Bupropion
Brand Name: Wellbutrin

Overview
Wellbutrin is the brand name for Bupropion, a type of antidepressant (aminoketone class) that also acts as a stimulant. Wellbutrin raises the amounts of the neurotransmitters dopamine and norepinephrine in the brain to more normal levels.

Wellbutrin's effects can usually be felt in one to four weeks.

Why is this drug prescribed?
Wellbutrin is used to treat:

1. Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
2. Major depression
3. Bipolar disorder (depressive phase)
4. Chronic fatigue syndrome
5. illegal drug craving
6. Lower back pain

Bupropion is also used to help people stop smoking. When it is prescribed for this reason, it is marketed under the brand name Zyban, which contains a different dosage of Bupropion than drugs used to treat mental disorders, and is prescribed differently.

Warnings and Precautions
The safety and effects of Wellbutrin in children under 18 years old are not known.

Wellbutrin causes significant weight loss (more than 5 pounds) in 28% of people who take it. It should be not be used when such weight loss might be dangerous to the patient.

Wellbutrin may impair coordination or mental abilities: patients should not drive or operate heavy machinery until it is known that Wellbutrin does not affect the ability to safely engage in such activities.

For Pregnant or Nursing Mothers: Wellbutrin's effects during pregnancy are not well understood; Wellbutrin is not recommended for pregnant women. Wellbutrin does pass into breast milk and could cause a serious reaction in the infant; women should not breast-feed while ta king this medication.

Contraindications
Bupropion should Not be used for people with the following medical conditions:

1. a history of seizures (such as epilepsy) or of brain damage - Wellbutrin can lower the seizure threshold, especially with high doses
2. a history of anorexia or bulimia - risk of seizures is increased in these individuals

Precautions
Wellbutrin may be used with caution in people with the following conditions:

1. weight loss associated with depression - Wellbutrin often causes weight loss
2. liver or kidney disease - dosage may need to be reduced
3. patients over 60 - lower doses are used
4. bipolar disorder - Wellbutrin may cause a rapid swing to the manic phase
5. addicted to narcotics, illegal drug, stimulants, or using over-the-counter stimulants or diet pills - risk of seizures is increased
6. diabetes - risk of seizures is greater in individuals taking insulin or oral diabetes medication.

Adverse Reactions
Bupropion may cause the following reactions:

1. weight loss
2. decreased appetite
3. restlessness
4. agitation
5. insomnia
6. anxiety
7. constipation
8. dry mouth
9. diarrhea
10. dizziness
11. nausea / vomiting
12. headache
13. increased libido
14. skin problems
15. tremors
16. excessive sweating
17. hypomania
18. seizures
19. ringing in the ears
20. decreased white blood cell count

Interactions with Drugs and Other Substances
Drugs or substances that may interact with Bupropion include:

1. MAO Inhibitors (within 14 days) - can increase bupropion levels and lead to drug toxicity
2. alcohol - risk of seizures may be increased
3. illegal drug - when used with Wellbutrin has been known to induce psychotic behavior
4. major tranquilizers such as thorazine
5. antidepressants or anti-psychotics such as Clozaril, Dilantan, Haldol, Maprotiline, Phenobarbital, Prozac, Tagamet, and Tegretol
6. Tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs) - increases risk of seizures
7. Carbamazepine - may increase the effects of Carbamazepine and increases risk of seizures
8. Levodopa - may increase the effects of Levodopa, and increases the risk of seizures
9. Cimetidine - may increase bupropion's effects
10. Clozapine, Fluoxetine, Haloperidol, Lithium, Loxapine, Molindone, Thioxanthenes, and Trazodone - increase the risk of seizures 1
11. All Phenothiazines - increases the risk of seizures
12. Phenytoin - may increase the effects of Phenytoin, and increases the risk of seizures

Sources

http://www.health-ce...SessionID=2972
TopicID=406&PageID=2152&Action=view

http://www.psyweb.co...htm/buprop.html

http://www.mentalhealth.com/drug/

http://www.healthsqu...wrx/WEL1488.HTM

Someone in Chat last night seemed to need some more information and a tad more reassurance. :hearts:

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA.
Visit www.fda.gov/medwatch, or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
~Lindsay

~Lindsay ღ , Forum Super Administrator
Founder, depressionforums.org

"One person can make a difference through their seemingly small actions" ~Unknown
"To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived". ~ Bessie Stanley

Depression Forums are PG rated and we comply with Health on the Net's HONcode
goldenvelope1jr.gifplatinumstar.jpg

Hotlines

#2 econ

econ

ID: 5558

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 09:23 AM

I have been on Wellbutrin for about a year now. I lost a lot of weight, maybe, about 20-25 pounds (I was very slightly overweight). I didn't exercise, I didnt' do anything special. My appetite decreased though. Now I'm back to my 10-years-ago weight.

#3 atropa

atropa

ID: 15710

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 11:50 AM

I have been on Wellbutrin for about a year now. I lost a lot of weight, maybe, about 20-25 pounds (I was very slightly overweight). I didn't exercise, I didnt' do anything special. My appetite decreased though. Now I'm back to my 10-years-ago weight.

Boy, wouldn't that be nice... Although to be back to my 10 years ago weight I would have to be 125 lbs. I was naturally skeletal. I'd certainly be happy losing 20-25 lbs, though. That would put me almost at my goal weight.

#4 LA_Woman

LA_Woman

ID: 17357

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 06:04 PM

10. Clozapine, Fluoxetine, Haloperidol, Lithium, Loxapine, Molindone, Thioxanthenes, and Trazodone - increase the risk of seizures

Hmmm, my pdoc has prescribed trazadone to help me sleep and he also prescribes my Wellbutrin. I rarely take the Trazadone because I don't think it really helps much, but I found this statement about not mixing it with Wellbutrin to be interesting.

#5 Lucinda

Lucinda

Silver Member

ID: 15991

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 06:55 PM

Atropa,
If that is indeed you in your avatar, I wouldn't worry about weighing 125lbs. You are absolutely beautiful.

Forum Admin, thanks for the updated info. The doctor that got me going on Wellbutrin told me about the slight hypomania effect. She was also very cautious about the starting dose with me. She also informed me that the medication was okay for folks who are bipolar and more depressive. Good information.
Peace and blessings,
Lucinda

:hearts:
Tell whoso hath sorrow
Grief never shall last:
E'en as joy hath no morrow
So woe shall go past."
--Scheherazade

#6 Beanchop99

Beanchop99

Platinum Member

ID: 9557

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 08:14 PM

10. Clozapine, Fluoxetine, Haloperidol, Lithium, Loxapine, Molindone, Thioxanthenes, and Trazodone - increase the risk of seizures

Hmmm, my pdoc has prescribed trazadone to help me sleep and he also prescribes my Wellbutrin. I rarely take the Trazadone because I don't think it really helps much, but I found this statement about not mixing it with Wellbutrin to be interesting.

LA Woman:

Call your doc and bring this to his/her attention. You think your doc or even the pharmacist would have caught this. Or at least pointed out the potential risks. Definitely call you doc. Please let me know what he/she says. I'm very interested in this.

-Bean

PS It's probably a good thing that you rarely take the trazadone.
Truth. Beauty. Freedom. Love.
Posted Image

Suicide Hotlines

#7 Dan428

Dan428

Just Registered

ID: 16497

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 08:16 PM

LA Woman:

Call your doc and bring this to his/her attention. You think your doc or even the pharmacist would have caught this. Or at least pointed out the potential risks. Definitely call you doc. Please let me know what he/she says. I'm very interested in this.

-Bean

PS It's probably a good thing that you rarely take the trazadone.

This is very interesting to me as well. I've been on WB for about 12 weeks, and seems to be working, but my sleep has gotten very poor. I was forced to switch docs, and the new one (who knows I'm on WB) just prescribed Trazodone. I took it too nights at 50mg, but it seemed to make my sleep worse. Almost as though my blood pressure went super high (had the problem in the past).

I think I'll stay off it until I have the chance to discuss this with him.

#8 Beanchop99

Beanchop99

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 09:23 AM

Dan:

You've got the right idea - stop taking Trazodone and talk to your doc.

You might want to try taking WB as early in the morning as possible. WB causes restlessness and sleepless nights. Taking it in the early a.m can help.

Please keep us posted, and tell us what your doc has to say.

-Bean
Posted Image

Suicide Hotlines

#9 LA_Woman

LA_Woman

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 06:59 PM

Well, I saw my pdoc today and he didn't seem concerned about mixing WB and Trazadone at all. He said he'd never heard of anyone having convulsions from taking them both and that with the especially low doses I take of each, he is not worried about it. I also mentioned it to my therapist and she just told me not to believe everything I read on the Internet :hearts: I don't take it very often, since I think it sometimes keeps me up rather than helping me sleep, so I guess I won't worry about it for now. Maybe I'll ask the pharmacist next time I'm there, just for fun.

#10 Beanchop99

Beanchop99

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 07:52 PM

LA Woman:

I'm sure you can trust your doc and therapist, but asking the pharmacist is a good idea. Sort of a safety check, you know?

Thanks for the update.

-Bean
Posted Image

Suicide Hotlines

#11 liveweyerd

liveweyerd

ID: 16989

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 09:09 PM

Thank you, I am also prescribed trazadone but at a low dosage 50mg or 100mg, according to how I am sleeping.

Trazadone as an AD is prescribed median of 300 mg up to 600mg.
Each small candle lights a corner of the dark.....Roger Waters

#12 LA_Woman

LA_Woman

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 09:28 PM

Thank you, I am also prescribed trazadone but at a low dosage 50mg or 100mg, according to how I am sleeping.

Liveweyerd, that's the same dose I have. I'm not even convinced that it helps me sleep yet, but I do keep it around just in case.

#13 myrainbow

myrainbow

ID: 19578

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 11:59 AM

Bupropion is also used to help people stop smoking. When it is prescribed for this reason, it is marketed under the brand name Zyban, which contains a different dosage of Bupropion than drugs used to treat mental disorders, and is prescribed differently

dont ike that, my WB is zyban 300mg. scared now :hearts: :bump:

#14 Ogies

Ogies

Just Registered

ID: 20024

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 11:55 PM

Wow, thanks for posting all the info!!! I do understand it better now, just hoping it will do the trick! Anyone else want to share their experience on Wellbutrin?

#15 zippo

zippo

Just Registered

ID: 20003

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 08:56 PM

Bupropion is also used to help people stop smoking. When it is prescribed for this reason, it is marketed under the brand name Zyban, which contains a different dosage of Bupropion than drugs used to treat mental disorders, and is prescribed differently

dont ike that, my WB is zyban 300mg. scared now :hearts: :bump:

Hiya rainbow,

Zyban and Wellbutrin SR/Wellbutrin XR are one and the same. Only difference is their marketing stradegy.

good luck to you :shocked:

Edited by zippo, 27 October 2007 - 08:58 PM.

#16 Useless1999

Useless1999

ID: 17458

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 02:43 AM

That stuff made me mean, angry, irritable & I kept Biting my Lip it wasn't fun and didn't do anything to make me want to quit smoking. :hearts:

MMM smoke

#17 Useless1999

Useless1999

ID: 17458

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 02:45 AM

Liveweyerd, that's the same dose I have. I'm not even convinced that it helps me sleep yet, but I do keep it around just in case.

Isn't Trazadone Addictive?

#18 MovingForward

MovingForward

ID: 20310

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 08:37 PM

I've been on Bupropion for a few years now. I started taking it during my divorce. It seemed like it was working okay but recently (the past 6 months or so) I've been getting depressed more often. I have a lot of money problems and open issues from the divorce so I'm not sure if that's tied into it as well. I take 150mg daily but my dr. had prescribed 300mg. I didn't want to be really dependent on it and was afraid of moving up to 300. There have been a few times where I've noticed that my depression is getting worse and I've upped it to 300 for a few days with good results. I guess I'm wondering if I should be staying at the 300? My dr. had said that if the 150 was working not to mess with it. I've noticed some posts on anxiety and weight loss and I'm prone to both.

Any feedback or personal experience anyone is willing to share is welcome!
The path to our destination is not always a straight one. We go down the wrong road, we get lost, we turn back. Maybe it doesn't matter which road we embark on. Maybe what matters is that we embark.

- Barbara Hall, Northern Exposure, Rosebud, 1993

#19 Mimen

Mimen

ID: 22830

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 01:58 PM

I've been on Bupropion for a few years now. I started taking it during my divorce. It seemed like it was working okay but recently (the past 6 months or so) I've been getting depressed more often. I have a lot of money problems and open issues from the divorce so I'm not sure if that's tied into it as well. I take 150mg daily but my dr. had prescribed 300mg. I didn't want to be really dependent on it and was afraid of moving up to 300. There have been a few times where I've noticed that my depression is getting worse and I've upped it to 300 for a few days with good results. I guess I'm wondering if I should be staying at the 300? My dr. had said that if the 150 was working not to mess with it. I've noticed some posts on anxiety and weight loss and I'm prone to both.

Any feedback or personal experience anyone is willing to share is welcome!

Hi there, I dont think you should take a different dosage every now and again. Keep it at the 300mg that was suggested by your Dr.
I was also adverse to taking Anti Dep. but see it like this: If you suffer from cancer or say heart problems, we gladly take the correct medication every day like clock work, but if the there is a chemical imbalance in our brains we baulk at the very idea of taking any pills for it!
Keep with the program I say. A divorce is hell on earth and it would be great if you can find a good therapist to help in conjunction with the WB. Hang in there and take the prescribed dosage, life does not end with divorce. In fact the exciting part now starts! Its a brand new life out there!
  • kat22 likes this
BPII and loving it!

#20 krazy12

krazy12

ID: 56650

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 02:20 PM

For Pregnant or Nursing Mothers: Wellbutrin's effects during pregnancy are not well understood; Wellbutrin is not recommended for pregnant women. Wellbutrin does pass into breast milk and could cause a serious reaction in the infant; women should not breast-feed while taking this medication

I did take wellbutrin during my pregnancy and I also breastfed for 3months.  She is a happy healthy girl.   I am very thankful, wb allowed me to be happy and be able to bond with my daughter.  

Edited by krazy12, 04 January 2011 - 02:21 PM.

#21 Bucanero

Bucanero

Just Registered

ID: 58363

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:58 PM

I am taking Bupropion 300 for 3 week going 4 at the beginning I got agitation, dizziness, dry mouth but now I don't feel agitation and dizzines but still have the dry mouth. Today February 16, 2011, I started reading a book and for the first time in 3 years was able to continue reading, focus and comprehend what I was reading, and I am less depress....AMEN TO THAT!!! I am taking Bupropion early in the morning and it seem to be working okay for me. I see that if this continue the way it's I be able to go out and start doing things that I have not done for a long time. I will keep in touch!!! :smile:

God Bless All… :bow:

#22 Spiritual_Wanderer

Spiritual_Wanderer

Community Assistant

ID: 57536

• DF Support
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:20 AM

I am taking Bupropion 300 for 3 week going 4 at the beginning I got agitation, dizziness, dry mouth but now I don't feel agitation and dizzines but still have the dry mouth. Today February 16, 2011, I started reading a book and for the first time in 3 years was able to continue reading, focus and comprehend what I was reading, and I am less depress....AMEN TO THAT!!! I am taking Bupropion early in the morning and it seem to be working okay for me. I see that if this continue the way it's I be able to go out and start doing things that I have not done for a long time. I will keep in touch!!! :smile:

God Bless All… :bow:

That's awesome! I hope this improvement continues for you!

I take it around 5 a.m. and then between 2-3 p.m. (150mg twice a day) and that seems to be working nicely for me. I also had dry mouth the first couple weeks. I love reading too!

Best wishes!
Many Blessings,
SW
goldenvelope1jr.gif

Not all those who wander are lost. - J.R.R. Tolkien
Don't let the muggles get you down. ― J.K. Rowling

#23 lookingforlife

lookingforlife

Just Registered

ID: 62747

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:27 PM

Boy, wouldn't that be nice... Although to be back to my 10 years ago weight I would have to be 125 lbs. I was naturally skeletal. I'd certainly be happy losing 20-25 lbs, though. That would put me almost at my goal weight.

You are stunning, did wellbutrin make you dizzy or any other side effects, thanks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users