Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Wellbutrin And Irregular Bleeding (for Ladies)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 tngirl22

tngirl22

Just Registered

ID: 31754

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 04:28 PM

I have been on Wellbutrin for 10 days. Made the recent switch from lexapro 10mg. Lexapro just wasnt doing it anymore. The wellbutrin has been wonderful. I really want to try this med for awhile. I am having only one complaint. I just had my period for sure. Now 8 days later I am bleeding again. I NEVER have irregular periods. I am always regular, really. So the only different thing is the wellbutrin. It started on wed. I missed my dose wed and thurs. Spotted on thursday, friday, now its a full blown period.

Anyone else having this side effect? Could it have been from missing a dose?
Anyone else have the problem and it work itself out?
Any advice? How long should I ride this out?

It is Wellbutrin xl generic. I take 150mg once a day for one week and after that 2 150mg daily. I have not done so yet because, quite frankly, I am a bit freaked out by the bleeding. I dont know if it would have made it worse or better?

New here, thanks for listening. :hearts:

#2 tngirl22

tngirl22

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 10:55 AM

I have been on Wellbutrin for 10 days. Made the recent switch from lexapro 10mg. Lexapro just wasnt doing it anymore. The wellbutrin has been wonderful. I really want to try this med for awhile. I am having only one complaint. I just had my period for sure. Now 8 days later I am bleeding again. I NEVER have irregular periods. I am always regular, really. So the only different thing is the wellbutrin. It started on wed. I missed my dose wed and thurs. Spotted on thursday, friday, now its a full blown period.

It is Wellbutrin xl generic. I take 150mg once a day for one week and after that 2 150mg daily. I have not done so yet because, quite frankly, I am a bit freaked out by the bleeding. I dont know if it would have made it worse or better?

#3 tngirl22

tngirl22

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 10:56 AM

Any ideas or help?

#4 SoulSearching

SoulSearching

ID: 31734

• PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 02:47 PM

I just started Wellbutrin while I was on my period this week, so I dunno yet but I will post if I have a problem...
It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere. - Agnes Repplier

#5 white kitten

white kitten

ID: 31688

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 10:22 PM

I have PCOS (hormone troubles) and so my period has never been regular since it started . . . birthcontrol pills help the period but they are also linked to causing depression . . so I can't take those. Guess I am rambling but I would say my irreg. bleeding is NOT linked to the Wellbutrin. I have missed doses many a time but never had anything like that. Does your period come and go with stress levels? (or like sort of 'wait' for an inconvenient moment, like when you're about to go on vacation? mine does that.)

Anyway, I started using a free website to track my period and it has been really helpful to see the history there, so maybe it would help you to find any patterns over time. Please pm me for the site name.

I hope you will be OK!!

I just started Wellbutrin while I was on my period this week, so I dunno yet but I will post if I have a problem...

Edited by gentle sun, 19 December 2008 - 05:20 AM.

#6 kellz

kellz

ID: 31578

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 02:23 PM

hi, i had the same issue upon starting wellbutrin [300mg/daily].
i was getting my period every 15-20 days for 4-5 months. [that in itself is depressing, hah]
it has leveled out after that and im now completely regular. to the day.
i also tried birth control 2 times, and that really made my cycle wacky..i never knew when i was going to start
[this was with ortho-tri cycline low, a good choice, so i thought]

i would try to stick to daily workouts and be sure you're getting a full spectrum of vitamins.
i had all my hormones checked and the levels were all normal, except for low testosterone.
so i know wellbutrin doesnt play with lutenizing hormone or any of those lil' molecules.... but there's a signal getting intercepted somewhere.

good luck, i hope it straightens itself out for you like it did for me.

#7 voffvoff

voffvoff

ID: 31016

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:35 AM

Hmm...I started Wellbutrin about 6 weeks ago and I've not gotten my period since. Normally I have been able to predict it to the day when it starts. I am 3.5 weeks late and still nothing. I plan on bringing this up with my doc next month, but in the mean time I wonder what it means. Perhaps I should be glad that I'm not having it! But I don't like the idea of not being able to track/predict my cycle, like I feel a loss of control over my body now. Anyone else have this problem? By the way, I'm not sexually active so I'm not potentially pregnant or anything.

#8 tngirl22

tngirl22

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 03:20 PM

Kellz- Thanks for sharing. I really hope mine works out too. I just started my second period while on wellbutrin so we will see what happens this month.

White Kitten- Actually I track my cycles too. I use it for birth control. I track mine through "taking charge of your fertility" Really cool to know whats going on.

After doing some tedious searching on the net I did find that the generic wellbutrin caused menstrual difficulties but no idea what that means.

I think I will give the doc a call next week and see if the non generic might make a difference. I am really confused as to what to do this medicine is working beautifully for me other than this problem....

Hmm...I started Wellbutrin about 6 weeks ago and I've not gotten my period since. Normally I have been able to predict it to the day when it starts. I am 3.5 weeks late and still nothing. I plan on bringing this up with my doc next month, but in the mean time I wonder what it means. Perhaps I should be glad that I'm not having it! But I don't like the idea of not being able to track/predict my cycle, like I feel a loss of control over my body now. Anyone else have this problem? By the way, I'm not sexually active so I'm not potentially pregnant or anything.

#9 DiesIrae

DiesIrae

ID: 28123

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 05:57 PM

Since I started on Bupropion, I've started bleeding during ovulation, and getting cramps during ovulation. It's like a whole extra period, just not as heavy. Being a woman really sucks sometimes. :hearts:
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” – Buddha
I hope, whoever you are, that the world turns, and that things get better, and I hope most of all is you understand what I mean when I say that even though I do not know you, and I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you...I love you. With all my heart, I love you.

#10 lisarowe

lisarowe

ID: 31999

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 08:44 PM

For the past week I have been excruciatingly hungry. My period is supposed to be here around the 5th. Is it PMS?

I just looked it up. PMS starts 2 weeks before the period. *sigh* I wish I had no uterus.

#11 rehill

rehill

Advanced Member

ID: 17781

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 02:57 AM

I went through all the pharmaceutical books I have at home and none of them memtion menstrual irregularities with Wellbutrin. However, there seems to be lots of anecdotal information on the internet, especially about the generic versions. I have been on Wellbutrin (always brand name) for 6 years and have never had any menstrual difficulties with it. If you have concerns by all means talk to your doctor. I sure would be if it were me.

#12 voffvoff

voffvoff

ID: 31016

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 04:21 PM

Just an update from my post above...finally got my period yesterday. Sheesh! Only 26 days late. :hearts:

#13 andiepants

andiepants

ID: 32157

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 01:17 AM

i have horrible problems with having regular periods, i even had to start the birth control pill just to get a period after six months of nothing. Ive been off the birth control pill for 2 months and about 6 days on wellbutrin i got my first "real" period not bc induced! good news for me, and i do suspect the well b.

#14 DiesIrae

DiesIrae

ID: 28123

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 11:13 AM

I went through all the pharmaceutical books I have at home and none of them memtion menstrual irregularities with Wellbutrin. However, there seems to be lots of anecdotal information on the internet, especially about the generic versions. I have been on Wellbutrin (always brand name) for 6 years and have never had any menstrual difficulties with it. If you have concerns by all means talk to your doctor. I sure would be if it were me.

Thanks for pointing this out; I didn't even consider that my irregularity may have something to do with the fact that my Wellbutrin isn't brand name. I shall bring this up at my next pdoc check up.
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” – Buddha
I hope, whoever you are, that the world turns, and that things get better, and I hope most of all is you understand what I mean when I say that even though I do not know you, and I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you...I love you. With all my heart, I love you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users