Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Celexa / Lexapro's Success Stories

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#1 happy days 08

happy days 08

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 10:10 AM

It is always nice for those starting a new med to be able to read about a person for whom the medicine did what it should. For me I take 20mg Lex along with 6 mg Klonopin Daily. This has done wonders, and everything I hoped to accomplish has happened. If Lex / Celexa has done good things for you , please sheare them hear. It will definitely help those that are just starting the med, and are weary about it.
Hard as it may be sometimes, have faith! Happy Days 08

#2 mivictori

mivictori

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 01:08 AM

I started on 10mg Lexapro about 8 days ago and have seen a real change in my emotional state and my family has commented that I am a much happier person. Just found out today that my insurance will NOT cover Lexapro so my doctor changed me to the generic version of Celexa, I am hopeful that it will continue to work the same and I will be back to my normal self or better in a couple of weeks. I am on 20mg Celexa and 50mg Trazodone to help me sleep and I feel alot better.

I was just diganosed with S.A.D. (Seasonal Apptitude Disorder) after several years of suffering and not knowing why I got so sad and lethergic in the winter months. I am very hopeful that the medication works and I can finally enjoy the holiday season.

#3 Elbereth

Elbereth

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 07:53 PM

I went on citalopram for 18 months during 2007-8. I came off it last summer. Then I had a bad patch, and I've been back on it for four weeks now.

I had a lot of trouble with excessive sleepiness in the second and third weeks, and a few other side effects. I just felt ill.

However, for the last 8 days I've noticed a very marked improvement. I've suddenly started taking joy in things again, feeling enthusiasm for my studies and my future career, noticing the sun shining and the birds singing, enjoyed joining a choir, started laughing with my friends again, have found myself singing along to music and dancing... My friends say they've noticed a huge difference in me. I don't wake up every morning with that feeling of heavy, black dread. My shoulders actually feel lighter and it's like my eyes are clearer - there's no longer a thick mental and visual 'fog' separating me from feeling part of the 'real world'.

Today I had the best day I've had since maybe September, or maybe even a year ago. I think the sense of the darkness I was feeling just a few weeks ago just gave me a huge sense of joy and relief in the lovely little things of today.

I know there will be hard times ahead, but it's wonderful to be able to feel this for a while.

Now I need to get back my concentration for my work, and my motivation and drive to get it done!

Love this drug. (and no, citalopram company aren't paying me to say it!)
  • baseballmom and matroska like this

#4 spiderweb

spiderweb

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 05:25 PM

Success for me too! Celexa has worked wonders for me, with very mild side-effects. A little tired on day 3-4 and slightly emotional on day 27, thats it! Started out with 20mgs and was increased to 30mgs after 4wks. Drs. intent is to continueously increase dosage until the desired results are achieved. I have taken numerous AD's, all with horrid side-effects [rapid heart-beat, vomiting, elevated blood-pressure and full body rashes, tics, etc...] and after all this suffering, I saw no improvement. However, I felt better after taking the first dose of Celexa and for the first time in a long time I felt elated with hope that this medication would be my answer. :rose:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 Wayne

Wayne

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 11:42 PM

It is always nice for those starting a new med to be able to read about a person for whom the medicine did what it should. For me I take 20mg Lex along with 6 mg Klonopin Daily. This has done wonders, and everything I hoped to accomplish has happened. If Lex / Celexa has done good things for you , please sheare them hear. It will definitely help those that are just starting the med, and are weary about it.

I've been taking Lexapro for about 5 weeks now. Started on 5mg to ease into the side effects for the first week. Been taking 10mg for 4 weeks now. I'm not really feeling anything positive. Just kinda foggy headed and it blurs my vision a little. I also yawn alot. The side effects aren't that bad but I'm not sure what the benefits are supposed to feel like. What should I expect? Does it just kick in one day, or gradually? What does it feel like? I've read that it usually starts to work after 4 weeks. Maybe this isn't the right one for me. I suffer from depression and anxiety. I always have a really hard time going to sleep and once I finally do, I cant's wake up in the morning. My biggest problem is I'm always tired during the day and get really nervous around people. Which makes me really sad and anti-social. This has been a problem ever since childhood. A friend of mine is on Cymbalta and loves it. I heard it was really expensive though. Any advice?
  • hopefull04 likes this

#6 chica

chica

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 04:20 AM

hi Wayne,

I´m not sure you posted in the right forum, but remember you need to give your meds a little more time before you start to see the full effect.

As for me, both citalopram and cipralex have cured my depression. I was desperate in November after having stopped citalopram 20mg, and really thought I´d be ill for the rest of my life. I was on sick leave for a month and suffered anxiety for the first time and had disturbing obessive thoughts. Witht the help of meds and a psychotherapist, I started to see the light at the end of the tunnel after around 6 weeks of being on meds. It has taken me a long itme to get my confidence back, though, and although I still get anxious and the obsessions will never go away, I feel a lot more balanced and happy. I got married last week and am looking forward to my future. I´m sure I´ll try to come off meds again and wil probably relapse, but know I can get through it as I´m lucky to have a supportive and understanding husband and family, and of course the meds which are my salvation.

I know I´ll probably be on meds for the rest of my life but I feel I´m extremely lucky to count myself as one of the people who meds work for and realise that without them I wouldn´t be me.

#7 Darken

Darken

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 02:09 AM

I've been taking Lexapro for about 5 weeks now. Started on 5mg to ease into the side effects for the first week. Been taking 10mg for 4 weeks now. I'm not really feeling anything positive. Just kinda foggy headed and it blurs my vision a little. I also yawn alot. The side effects aren't that bad but I'm not sure what the benefits are supposed to feel like. What should I expect? Does it just kick in one day, or gradually? What does it feel like? I've read that it usually starts to work after 4 weeks. Maybe this isn't the right one for me. I suffer from depression and anxiety. I always have a really hard time going to sleep and once I finally do, I cant's wake up in the morning. My biggest problem is I'm always tired during the day and get really nervous around people. Which makes me really sad and anti-social. This has been a problem ever since childhood. A friend of mine is on Cymbalta and loves it. I heard it was really expensive though. Any advice?

Hi Wayne and Welcome,

Although this topic is for success stories, I'm glad you took the time to post how things were going for you. Everyone reacts diffrently to medication, so whrer some people ma see a difference right away...others its takeslonger to see benefits to any medicaton. I would tr to give the Lexapro a full 8 weeks and if you truly feel things haven't changed, it may be time to talk to your doctor about something else. If your thinking of switching to another medication why not visit the specific room here in our forums to educate yourself o what to expect.

Good Luck and please let us know how things go.

hi Wayne,

I´m not sure you posted in the right forum, but remember you need to give your meds a little more time before you start to see the full effect.

As for me, both citalopram and cipralex have cured my depression. I was desperate in November after having stopped citalopram 20mg, and really thought I´d be ill for the rest of my life. I was on sick leave for a month and suffered anxiety for the first time and had disturbing obessive thoughts. Witht the help of meds and a psychotherapist, I started to see the light at the end of the tunnel after around 6 weeks of being on meds. It has taken me a long itme to get my confidence back, though, and although I still get anxious and the obsessions will never go away, I feel a lot more balanced and happy. I got married last week and am looking forward to my future. I´m sure I´ll try to come off meds again and wil probably relapse, but know I can get through it as I´m lucky to have a supportive and understanding husband and family, and of course the meds which are my salvation.

I know I´ll probably be on meds for the rest of my life but I feel I´m extremely lucky to count myself as one of the people who meds work for and realise that without them I wouldn´t be me.

Chica,

Thanks for taking the time to post your positive story here. I'm so glad to hear of your positive experience! You have a gret outlook on your depression and it seems like your going in the right direction. Good luck and please keep us posted on how your doing.
........__o -----------> Get out and exercise believe me it helps!
....._ \<,_ -----------> I'm riding for blood cancer victims this year
....(_)/ (_) -----------> I'll be raising money while cycling over 4,000 miles!

There is no better treatment for depression then the support of your family.

Suicide Help on DF

#8 InTheWilderness

InTheWilderness

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 03:34 PM

Hi All,

I've been on celexa since Early Feb 09, so about 2 months. It truly has helped me conquer my anxiety and depression. I'm on 40 mg/day and finally feel like "my old self" again. Please don't give up on the drug until you've been on it for at least 4 weeks... this drug takes a while to build up in your system.

Wilderness

#9 JMB

JMB

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 05:12 PM

I have been on citalopram since the end of January, 20 mg. It has worked well for me. I no longer have those deep down times of depression and overwhelming sadness. While I do have down days, they are very tolerable now. I am still working on the issues that got me to that dark place.

#10 Darken

Darken

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 05:11 PM

I have been on citalopram since the end of January, 20 mg. It has worked well for me. I no longer have those deep down times of depression and overwhelming sadness. While I do have down days, they are very tolerable now. I am still working on the issues that got me to that dark place.

Hi JMB,

So glad to hear of your success with Celexa. Hope it contimues to help and that you get through those issues.

When I added lexapro to my previously prescribed AD, I saw results in only a few weeks time....so I really believe in these two medications

Thanks for sharing

Darken

Suicide Help on DF

#11 julidarlin

julidarlin

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 12:10 PM

My 2 cents,

I was taking 20mg Lexapro for several years and it worked wonders on my depression and anxiety, but I had completely lost my libido, so my doctor switched me to 40mgs Celexa, which has worked very well. I think the Lexapro worked better on the anxiety, but I haven't been taking Celexa long enough to really tell. Here's to meds that work!
Metta
"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves." ~Dalai Lama

#12 jbstoltzfus

jbstoltzfus

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 10:39 AM

---------------------------------------------------
I agree with happy days 08 I've had wonderful success with Lexapro for severe depression. As others have said you need to work through the first 4-5 weeks. The side effects make living with the depression worse at first but stay with it and you will be glad you did.

I found that taking 1 omega 3 oil capsule and 1 vitiman B complex tablet with the lexapro improved my mood noticeably.

I did have trouble sleeping at first so my Physician gave me a weak dose of lorenzapam (generic for Activan) which I used sparingly and it did a lot to help me sleep.

After 6 weeks on Lexapro I am a bit more tired than normal but basically I' living at 90-95%. I am happy, working doing hobbies and jobs around the house and have resumed a normal life. This is in strong contrast to 6 weeks ago when I could barely work and had no desire to leave the house.

I'm thankful my Physician prescribed this medication and that my supportive wife talked me into staying on it when I wanted to quit.

Best to all.
  • Phlebas and MES like this

#13 Darken

Darken

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:00 AM

---------------------------------------------------
I agree with happy days 08 I've had wonderful success with Lexapro for severe depression. As others have said you need to work through the first 4-5 weeks. The side effects make living with the depression worse at first but stay with it and you will be glad you did.

I found that taking 1 omega 3 oil capsule and 1 vitiman B complex tablet with the lexapro improved my mood noticeably.

I did have trouble sleeping at first so my Physician gave me a weak dose of lorenzapam (generic for Activan) which I used sparingly and it did a lot to help me sleep.

After 6 weeks on Lexapro I am a bit more tired than normal but basically I' living at 90-95%. I am happy, working doing hobbies and jobs around the house and have resumed a normal life. This is in strong contrast to 6 weeks ago when I could barely work and had no desire to leave the house.

I'm thankful my Physician prescribed this medication and that my supportive wife talked me into staying on it when I wanted to quit.

Best to all.

Hi jbstoltzfus and :hearts:

Thanks for taking the time to post your success with Lexapro! Sounds like its doing wonderfully for you and its great you have the support of your spouse. This is a great forum so be sure to look around for insight and feel free to support others who may need to hear positive experiences from the medicine.

Take Care,

Darken

Suicide Help on DF

#14 KarenRB53

KarenRB53

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 12:36 PM

My 2 cents,

I was taking 20mg Lexapro for several years and it worked wonders on my depression and anxiety, but I had completely lost my libido, so my doctor switched me to 40mgs Celexa, which has worked very well. I think the Lexapro worked better on the anxiety, but I haven't been taking Celexa long enough to really tell. Here's to meds that work!
Metta

Sorry if I'm in wrong area to post this but saw your posting and needed to ask if you tapered off the Lexapro before starting Celexa or just switch from one to other? I'm tapering off Lexapro and want to try Celexa but wasn't sure if I should have time in between. How long have you been on the Celexa?

Thanks, Karen

#15 Darken

Darken

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 02:35 PM

My 2 cents,

Metta

Sorry if I'm in wrong area to post this but saw your posting and needed to ask if you tapered off the Lexapro before starting Celexa or just switch from one to other? I'm tapering off Lexapro and want to try Celexa but wasn't sure if I should have time in between. How long have you been on the Celexa?

Thanks, Karen

Hi Karen,

Your doctor can tell you what's the best route to take when switching between these two. I've heard from many people that they switched right over with no tapering and others who literally were told to wean of the lexapro before starting the celexa. Logically you would think that you could switch right over, but definitely see what your doctor has to say.

Take Care,

Mike

Suicide Help on DF

#16 julidarlin

julidarlin

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 07:51 PM

Hi Karen,

Everone is different, but per my MDs instructions, I did kind of an overlap. I took 1/2 dose of Lex and 1/2 dose Celexa for 10 days, then full dose of Celexa. I did feel kind of spacey for a few days when I switched. It took me about three or four weeks until I adjusted to the Celexa completely, but I'm okay now. Let me know how it goes.

~Juli
"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves." ~Dalai Lama

#17 Guest_Gareth_*

Guest_Gareth_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2009 - 10:21 AM

Hello,

My Pdoc put me on Wellbutrin and within a few days it put me out of my mind. Rage, depression worsened, hallucinations, etc. Needless, to day I quit taking the stuff. During this period, my doc said he was going to review my med history. Several years ago I was put on Lexapro but it didn't seem to help much. That was before I was diagnosed with BP I. According to the Lex website Lex is not recommend for folks with BP. However, the first time I was on it I wasn't taking it in conjunction with a mood stabilizer. Yesterday I went to my doc and he put me on it again. He said that because I was now taking a mood stabilizer things should work out quite well.

For the six weeks I was on Wellbutrin I was going through severe SSRI withdrawals since Wellbutrin is not an SSRI. I had the usual brain zaps and really bad titinus (buzzing in the ears). I got home from the doc at about 12:30 p.m. and took 20mg of Lex. At about 6:30 p.m. my with withdrawal symptoms has vanished! The doc said it was pretty fast acting but I never thought I would act that fast.

Last night was the first night I actually got a full nights sleep. When I was on Wellbutrin I was waking up at two or three in the morning and was up to stay so I was only getting about three to four hours of sleep a night. Bad news. Sleep deprivation can also cause some serious problems. Woke up this morning and my SSRI withdrawal symptoms are still gone.

Needless, to say I feel like me again.

In short, I take 20mg of Lexapro once a day, 100mg Lamictal (a mood stabilizer) once a day, and, Klonpin 2mg twice daily for my anxiety. So far so good. When I was on it the first time I tolerated it really well. The only thing that I'm experiencing now is sleepiness but I'm sure that will diminish with time.

I've read so many bad stories about folks who have taken Lexapro. The thing to remember is everyone's system is different. We all handle meds in different ways. Meds are not once size fits all. If it we're that simple it would be a piece of cake. Like my doc said: "Hey, this is trial and error." Psychiatry is not an exact science. He's an honest man.

Gareth

#18 xapia

xapia

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 02:18 AM

I am on lexapro 10mg since August 2008.

I jumped to 15mg on February 2009, till now and I never felt better. I have also been at therapy and practicing myself some CBT.

The only thing that bothers me is what will happen when I will stop it, as I read extreme withdrawal side effects on the web.

#19 Guest_Gareth_*

Guest_Gareth_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2009 - 05:25 AM

I am on lexapro 10mg since August 2008.

I jumped to 15mg on February 2009, till now and I never felt better. I have also been at therapy and practicing myself some CBT.

The only thing that bothers me is what will happen when I will stop it, as I read extreme withdrawal side effects on the web.

Hi Xapia,

I guess it all depends on what you're taking it for: depression, BP, ect. You're right about withdrawals but that is true of any SSRI. Do you suffer from Clinical Depression or are you Bipolar like me? The reason I ask is that both of them are irreversible since both are chemical imbalances in the brain. I will have to be on medication for the rest of my life. But, hey, I rather takes meds than be where I was.

You say you're feeling better and that is wonderful so my question is why would you want to stop? Again, it depends on why you where prescribed Lex in the first place. Maybe you could give me some more information.

Best wishes,

Gareth

#20 Anastassia Florine

Anastassia Florine

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 12:59 PM

Now is my fourth time on Celexa. I don't know if the second, third and fourth time I was on it it helped at all. But the first time was wonderful. I was on it for about 7 months that first time. I took half a tablet-- 10 mg-- nad was giddy for half the day. Then when the giddiness wore off, I took the other half of the tablet and was giddy for the other half of the day too. I went shopping and was picking out clothes in stormy blue and mud brown, and planning on going back to a site I hadn't been to in almost 2 years, and starting a commune. And then I went back to that site and planned the commune and I was a huge success there. I posted so much, I helped so many people with their issues, and I was popular. I had about 100 friends on that site. Even the moderators loved me... something that I had never experienced before. I had always had run-ins with moderators on other boards I'd been on. Like in the Myst community. I still do sometimes in the autistic community, but I love them so it's okay, we all love each other I suppose. I met 4 guys on WP who wanted to be my boyfriend. One of them I met in a thread he started about being depressed and going to the VA and getting Celexa, and I gave him some of my experience with Celexa, and we started talking from there and became best friends. I got to know a lot of people on WP who were on Celexa, too, including some girls my age. Celexa even increased my sex drive, as odd as that may seem, probably because it made me less depressed. It had an immediate affect on my social anxiety too. I went from looking in every direction thinking I was going to get shot in the street to being friendly and popular with everyone. After the giddiness side effect passed, I went down a little, and got depressed all over again, but then soon after that the real effect of the Celexa kicked in, about a month or 2 after I started taking it, and it worked on me until I stopped taking it.

#21 soulman82

soulman82

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 10:37 AM

I started taking Cipralex (the European name for Lexapro) in december of last year, to help get me out of the rut I was in. I basically felt dull and unmotivated and I wasn't getting anywhere in my life.
I took 10 mg for two whole months without ANY positive effect whatsoever (only the common side effects like yawning, blurred vision, occasional headaches). I wondered how the effect was supposed to feel, and was getting skeptical about this drug working for me at all.
Then, in february, my doc upped the dosage to 20 mg. After two weeks on the higher dosage I knew what it feels like! It was like a veil was lifted off me. I stopped worrying and just got a lot looser, more light-hearted, more socially outgoing, more talkative, etc. I felt like I could just be myself without second-guessing myself at every turn. I am now building relationships in a way I've never really been able to before. It feels great and I feel like my life is on the right track.
A new side effect popped up shortly after I started taking 20 mg: excessive sweating. This problem predictably got a lot worse after summer rolled around. I thought, "well, I'm feeling pretty great, if only I didn't have this one problem!" So I called my doc to see if there was anything she could prescribe to counteract this bothersome side effect. She didn't know of anything, but online I found some references to the allergy drug Periactin (cyproheptadine) possibly being fit for just this purpose. My doc was willing to let me try it, and it works! Now I have no complaints and am enjoying summer in Iceland (my home country). Life is good! :)
  • Phlebas likes this

#22 KarenRB53

KarenRB53

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 10:25 AM

My 2 cents,

Metta

Hi: Just wondered if you're still taking the 40mg Celexa and how its working for you. I did start the Celexa after Lexapro. Started @ 10mg and then went to 20mg 2 wks later. So I've been on 20mg Celexa since middle of May and am now thinking I need to up my dosage by at least 5mg maybe 10mg. I can feel the depression starting over the last few wks and once again I don't have much motivation. Thanks for any suggestions.

Karen

#23 chasejp

chasejp

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 05:30 PM

Hello,

I have been taking Cipralex for 1 week now and started taking after lossing control over my anxiety. Normal I can cotrol it through healthy eating and being active. When I started taking it I had several side effects; drowsiness, dry mouth, nausea, vision problems and clay coloured stools. Most of the side effects are gone at this point and at this point I am just having problems with the tiredness/drowsiness and trying to go to work feeling this way has not been fun, but it is worth it.

They say two - three weeks before the effects of this drug kicks in and I am hoping to feel even better soon. The first day I took it I felt like the world had changed and then the anxiety came back, slowley getting better. Did anyone feel that way when they took it on the first day? I also found I have not much of an appetite, which has been nice! I still eat but not as much... One other effect I found was arousal, which has decreased alittle.

I just wanted to share how I felt about this drug. I dont think I knew how much my anxiety controlled by life...

Josh

Edited by chasejp, 11 August 2009 - 05:32 PM.

#24 PRT

PRT

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 06:13 PM

HI Chase,

It can actually be between 6-8 weeks to feel the full effect of the meds so hang in a while. An increase in anxiety is very common initially but this is a very good drug for controlling anxiety in the long-term. When I started celexa my appetite decreased for a couple of weeks but then it came back with abundance so just watch out for that. I didn't realise how much I was eating at first. This drug can unfortunately decrease your level of arousal significantly, it's one of the most common complaints. But remember that everyone is different. I hope it works out for you.

PRT xx
To see a world in a grain of sand
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour. Posted Image

#25 chasejp

chasejp

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 11:28 AM

HI Chase,

It can actually be between 6-8 weeks to feel the full effect of the meds so hang in a while. An increase in anxiety is very common initially but this is a very good drug for controlling anxiety in the long-term. When I started celexa my appetite decreased for a couple of weeks but then it came back with abundance so just watch out for that. I didn't realise how much I was eating at first. This drug can unfortunately decrease your level of arousal significantly, it's one of the most common complaints. But remember that everyone is different. I hope it works out for you.

PRT xx

Thank you for the input! I hope my appetite does not come back lol... But Ill keep an eye on it.

#26 stevenal

stevenal

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 07:34 PM

I have taken lexapro for about a year now and I went from having a job to loosing my job and getting arrested for Disorderly Conduct. I have switched medication to Celexa and I have not had any anger problems since then, When I was on lexapro I felt unmotivated and even more depressed, I went from making 65k to making nothing and had a 2 night stint in jail. I am pretty sure it was the Lexapro. I never felt motivated enough to even write a blirp on this forum until now. I feel great on celexa so far!

#27 tincan

tincan

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 03:39 PM

I have been taking Celexa 10 mg for ten weeks to treat my generalized anxiety disorder.

It took about two and a half weeks for Celexa to begin working, and about four weeks to fully kick in. It has been a real life saver. At the beginning I was consumed by obsessive worrying and anxiety and was nearly unable to function. Now, I have far fewer negative thoughts and I rarely feel anxious beyond the normal day-to-day worries. When they are there, the negative thoughts are more in the background.

I took Lexapro 5 mg, which also worked well, but I experienced bad sexual side effects. It basically tapped my libido and made finishing the act almost impossible. I've had far fewer sexual side effects with Celexa, and they seem to be improving over time. Furthermore, Celexa is available as a generic, Citalopram, which is cheaper than Lexapro, which is not available in generic form as of yet.

Pay less attention to the posts from users who have taken Celexa or Lexapro for less than four weeks. These medications take at least that long to fully work for most people. Several people I know who have been on various SSRIs report that Celexa and Lexapro have worked the best. Of course, response to any anti-depressant is individual and unfortunately they won't work as well for anyone.

#28 Digging Fool

Digging Fool

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:51 AM

Friday, I will have been on Lexapro for 1 month. Took 10 mg/day for 1 week, then 20. I feel better, but my OCD is still kinda active. I'm thinking the Lexapro may be affecting my sex drive some, which may be a good thing. After all, I'm 48 yrs old. I quit drinking back in April, and went "crazy" after that.....We have determined that I have had OCD all of my life, but alcohol had been medicating my condition, so when I gave that up, "hell" set in. I wasn't an extreme drinker, and never had a legal issue with drink, but consumed some daily or nightly. Having Rheumatoid arthritis, the medications for that didn't mix well with the alcohol. I also take Buspar. On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being "good", I'm probably at about a 5 now, where I had been a 1.....Another note.....It's hard to find a doctor around here that knows anything about depression or ocd!I had to get an appointment for NOVEMBER to see a specialist in ocd! Gotta wait THAT long......
I'm going metal detecting. Be back after while............

#29 Tovah

Tovah

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 02:39 PM

I hope I'm not speaking too soon but I'm on my 11th day of Lex and I believe I am starting to see a subtle difference in both my GAD and my depression.

I'm on an extraordinarily low dose (1/4 of a pill) because I've had some extreme reactions to new medications in the past asnd also because my Pdoc has seen a number of her patients do very well on this very low dose.

On a scale from 1-10, 1 being the way I was two months ago when I tried to commit suicide, and 10 being myself when I was stable and happy, I'd say I'm about a 4 - whereas a week ago I was at about a 2, with obsessive worries and hopelessness, wishing I hadn't survived the ER.

I am praying that this is the drug for me and if it brings me up to a 7, I'll be grateful. It's great to read these success stories. Thank you for giving me some hope - something I sorely need right now.

Edited by ChrystalR, 03 September 2009 - 06:59 PM.
ToS

Donnie Darko: I made a new friend today.
Psychiatrist: Real or imaginary?
Donnie Darko: Imaginary.

#30 innerva7

innerva7

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 01:09 AM

Hello I am new on this forum, and have been suffering from depression my whole life (I am now 38) and just started therapy 5 months ago and got on celexa
last week. It took the breakup of an 8 year relationship to kick my butt into gear. I think I already feel a positive difference from the celexa. I am not getting any of the horrible side effects others have spoken of. I take 20 mg at around 8 am. I have felt slightly nauseous and a little bit tired but it has not kept me from
working. I am finding it easier to talk with people and I am not sure if it is the celexa helping with my social anxiety or what.

#31 chupacabra

chupacabra

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:49 PM

It helped me in '07. I weaned off it for a while, maybe it wasn't the right time, I'm back on it and it has helped me once again.
My religion? Donuts.

#32 jjnz

jjnz

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 09:25 PM

Ive been taking citalopram for just over 2 weeks and the side effects have at last gone. The first week i had dry mouth found it hard to sleep a full nights sleep as my heart was beating fast. I believe though its the best choice i made going on these as i'm much more smily at work and in general am not worrying about things and not crying easily anymore, its helped me get through these rough times. Advice for people starting it,take it in the morning with a good breakfast.

Another interesting thing i read is that we need plenty of carbs in our diet so that enough serotonin is produced. If we avoid carbs and only eat protein, then L-Tryptopan amino acid is overcome with the other amino acids from the protein and does not enter the brain. The sugars and carbs are what let L-tryptophan enter the brain and makes us feel happier.

#33 chunkymunky

chunkymunky

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 08:23 PM

Hi all,

another Cipralex (Lexapro) success story.

I started on Citalopram in January after the third (and by far the nastiest) breakdown in 3 years and after many years of less severe depression. The UK system being what it is, I had to rely on my GP for med guidance while waiting for a Psychiatric appointment. The GP started me off on Citalopram, which left me with mood swings and only mild relief and then added Mirtazapine in April to counteract some of the insomnia and general lack of progress. This was a complete disaster as I spent the next 10 weeks drooling gently and not achieving much of anything at all. I also suffered some truly hideous mood swings and desire to top myself, family and so on.

After much mucking around, I finally saw a Psychiatrist in July (fell through gaps in referral system). He immediately took me off the Mirt (cold-turkey) and swapped the Citalopram for Cipralex. The results were almost immediately good (after feeling like a dog from Mirtazapine withdrawl) and am now almost back to where I was 4-5 years ago.

Good luck with your meds (or lack thereof).

Edited by chunkymunky, 13 September 2009 - 08:38 PM.

#34 KarenRB53

KarenRB53

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:05 PM

Hi Karen,

Everone is different, but per my MDs instructions, I did kind of an overlap. I took 1/2 dose of Lex and 1/2 dose Celexa for 10 days, then full dose of Celexa. I did feel kind of spacey for a few days when I switched. It took me about three or four weeks until I adjusted to the Celexa completely, but I'm okay now. Let me know how it goes.

~Juli

I've been on 20mg for quite awhile so just upped to dosage to 25mg for last 2wks and not noticing much so probably should go up to 30mg. What dosage of Celexa are you taking now and is it continuing to work for you?

Karen

#35 chickapea

chickapea

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 06:40 PM

After 3 weeks on Lexapro I'm starting to pick up noticably and although they really knocked me around in the first couple of weeks, the side effects are barely noticeable now. I think Lexapro initially made me more sensitive to the effects of caffeine, because I noticed that coffee made me a lot more jittery than usual and affected my sleep terribly. I took up a beginners yoga class last week though, and I have been sleeping really well ever since. I have also cut back on the coffee. I feel much sharper and together than I have for a long time. I think that a bit of gentle exercise in combination with the meds is really helping me get back on track. I'm thinking about how I can change my lifestyle and possibly my career to support my health.

Hugs and love to everyone who is struggling out there. I hope you can find some peace and something to feel passionate about.

#36 Lynn3

Lynn3

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 06:03 PM

I have been on Lexapro for seven weeks now. I noticed changes almost immediately. It has helped with my depression and OCD. Also, mild anxiety. I noticed a second wave of change this week (good). My lingering obsessive thoughts have nearly disappeared (I'm almost afraid to say they are completely gone).

I had side effects early on....loss of appetitie, upsest stomach, tiredness. These lasted about a week (maybe less). It has reduced my sex drive, but mine was pretty high, so I'm OK with that. Orgasm has been a little hard to achieve and doesn't seem as intense. I'm hoping that will change. I tried the KY Intense and found it to help a lot. In case anyone else has the same problem. :)

#37 chasejp

chasejp

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 05:27 PM

Been on Cipralex 10mg for almost two months now and have little or no anxiety, but I have found myself feeling depressed and unmovitated. I have started working out and have tried to be more social, but I feel like Im falling off the wagon. No anxiety but falling back into the same problems.

I will continue to work on my issues but wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions or if anyone can relate?
:hearts:

Thank You,

#38 Laddy1975

Laddy1975

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 07:44 PM

Hi there... I have a long history with anxiety mixed with some depression. There seems to be no trigger where as I am normally a happy-go-lucky guy, but when I have a spell, it can last for months and it's hard. Citalopram has always seemed to do the trick. I have learned that I will have to stay on it continuously probably for the rest of my life. I have come off it before and even went quite some time with no meds, but wihtout fail, it always finds a way back in. It takes time and patience. Good luck!

#39 kkuylen

kkuylen

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 12:23 PM

Hi there... I have a long history with anxiety mixed with some depression. There seems to be no trigger where as I am normally a happy-go-lucky guy, but when I have a spell, it can last for months and it's hard. Citalopram has always seemed to do the trick. I have learned that I will have to stay on it continuously probably for the rest of my life. I have come off it before and even went quite some time with no meds, but wihtout fail, it always finds a way back in. It takes time and patience. Good luck!

If you dont mind me asking, how long did it take to work for you? I am getting really worried because Ive been on it over 2 months (1 month at 10mg & 1 month at 15mg) and now Im on 20 mg for a week and I still have bad days. It may be a tiny tiny drop better than in the beginning, but I would just think being on it this long, it should be helping more. I did take it once before and it helped at 15mg. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I am getting really worried nothing will help and I hate this feeling. Thanks, Maria

#40 templarvisonz

templarvisonz

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 06:13 PM

Hello All,

I have Social Anxiety, Seasonal Depression, and probably wouldnt hurt to say general anxiety. My doctor prescribed me Lexapro 10mg 3 years ago. 1 year after being prescribed, i was slowly taken off of Lexa. About 8 months after that i dipped back very low into depression and anxiety! So soon after i went back to him and he got me on Celexa 20mg. The Celexa seem to help with the depression, but the anxiety seemed almost untreated. Also i had a small algergic reaction to the Celexa!! :O It gave me a constant fever. So i was happy to get rid of the Celexa and back on Lexapro 10mg, woooooo!! I could feel my brain secreatting seretonin!! I also had started trying to exercise regularly and it seemed to enhance my moods for the better. I was feeling good for almost a year. Unfortunately, over the last 2 weeks, i have been dipping back into dep. and anx. even though on 10mg. I believe i will have to increase my dose to 20mg. But i am very thankful of meds that work and give myself and others relief. It took about 8 weeks the first time i took Lexa to really start feeling better. The second go-around seemed to work the same day!!!......maybe i was just happy to be back on something that i know works!! but for those who are newcomers to Lexapro or Celexa, like is posted, give it time to work! Your doctor will give you a rough estimate of about 6-8 weeks. Do not get discouraged if it takes longer, everyone is different!! :) Also try to exercise regularly. When you exercise your brain starts creating the good drugs that soothe the pain of dep. and anx. !!!! If you dont believe me then google it or talk to your doctor! So everyone hang in there I am too!!

templarvisonz
templarvisonz

I have Social Anxiety, mild depression, and most likely general anxiety and even probably seasonal depression!! Hang in there, I am too!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users