Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Remeron And Morning Grogginess

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Santana21

Santana21

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 04:30 PM

I've been on generic remeron at 30 mgs (taken before bedtime) for 2 weeks. It has worked since day 1 in reducing my anxiety and I do notice that my depression is very slowly starting to lift. However, my main problem with this med has been the constant everyday morning groginess. It lasts anywhere from 3-4 hours and it's very annoying. During this time I'm really foggy and it's extremely hard concentrating on anything. I also get light-headed and dizzy at times in the am, although this could be due to the fact that I smoke. I'm wondering if at 30mg, how long does it normally take for this morning groginess to eventually go away or at least become less severe? I would be able to tolerate it, if it lasted for half and hour or so, but the way it is now really sucks... just driving to work, talking with people or not making mistakes at work have now become morning monumental tasks! I'm also wondering if I increased the dose, would this have any impact in the morning grogginess... or would it just make things worse? Any feedback on this is greatly appreciated! :hearts:

#2 stodgyaroundthemiddle

stodgyaroundthemiddle

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 04:24 PM

I've been on generic remeron at 30 mgs (taken before bedtime) for 2 weeks. It has worked since day 1 in reducing my anxiety and I do notice that my depression is very slowly starting to lift. However, my main problem with this med has been the constant everyday morning groginess. It lasts anywhere from 3-4 hours and it's very annoying. During this time I'm really foggy and it's extremely hard concentrating on anything. I also get light-headed and dizzy at times in the am, although this could be due to the fact that I smoke. I'm wondering if at 30mg, how long does it normally take for this morning groginess to eventually go away or at least become less severe? I would be able to tolerate it, if it lasted for half and hour or so, but the way it is now really sucks... just driving to work, talking with people or not making mistakes at work have now become morning monumental tasks! I'm also wondering if I increased the dose, would this have any impact in the morning grogginess... or would it just make things worse? Any feedback on this is greatly appreciated! :hearts:

Hello fellow newbie. I found taking the tablet later on at night made me less foggy in the morning, I tend to take it anytime between 9pm and 12 midnight, sometimes just before bed. Funny I know but it works for me. I find I have to make myself do things in the morning just to get myself up. The first morning I opted for a hill ramble, ramble? it was more like climbing a mountain and I felt like a old, tired woman who had to stop many many times before the summit of the little hill! not great when you have little kids beating you to the top. I take Mirtazapine 15mg daily.

#3 Santana21

Santana21

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 04:36 PM

It's actually gotten a lot better these past couple days. Originally, the script was for 15mg, taking two per night. When I ran out (which was the same day I posted), my doctor changed it to 30 mg so I could just take one instead (and also so that I didn't have to get it refilled as often). Coicendently enough, these past two mornings have faired MUCH better with the morning groginess/ foginess only lasting for an hour or so after I wake up. I don't understand whey taking 1 *30mg vs 2 *15mg would have a change on this affect, but who cares! I'm just stoked that it's gotten so much better!!!! The last hurdle I have with this med is the profound drowsiness that hits me like a wall starting late afternoon, but I'm just hoping this gets better with time. I'm also considering going up to 45 mg, since the general consensus is that higher dosages = less drowsiness. But I'm not sure if at 45mg, other side effects pronounce themselves. My next appt. with my doctor is next week so I'll be bringing it up with him then. In the meantime, has anyone here found that 45mg is a better dosage for them vs 30mg?

#4 Santana21

Santana21

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 04:48 PM

Oh, and by the way, you should bring up taking 30mg with your doctor. I took 15mg for the first two nights and found that those 2 subsequent days were the worst when it came to side effects of this med, especially when it came to energy levels. Who knows, maybe all it'll take is slight bump up in dosage and it'll be your kids chasing you, just trying to keep up! :hearts:

#5 stodgyaroundthemiddle

stodgyaroundthemiddle

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 03:00 PM

Oh, and by the way, you should bring up taking 30mg with your doctor. I took 15mg for the first two nights and found that those 2 subsequent days were the worst when it came to side effects of this med, especially when it came to energy levels. Who knows, maybe all it'll take is slight bump up in dosage and it'll be your kids chasing you, just trying to keep up! :hearts:

Hey Santana21, Forgot my pill last night - cried like a baby today but didn't feel so hungry!!... I have an appointment to see my doc a week friday, so wil suggest "uping" my dose to 30mg. I get the sleepy/drowsy feeling in the afternoon, I do tend to have a little nap, I am "lucky" that as I am off work at the moment, so I can do that!! I don't say that the nap always helps, but it takes the edge off the severe tiredness and I wake in generally a better mood than I went to sleep. :flowers:

#6 Santana21

Santana21

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 07:33 PM

Hey Santana21, Forgot my pill last night - cried like a baby today but didn't feel so hungry!!... I have an appointment to see my doc a week friday, so wil suggest "uping" my dose to 30mg. I get the sleepy/drowsy feeling in the afternoon, I do tend to have a little nap, I am "lucky" that as I am off work at the moment, so I can do that!! I don't say that the nap always helps, but it takes the edge off the severe tiredness and I wake in generally a better mood than I went to sleep. :flowers:

I found that taking naps didn't really help. If I nap, I'm still drowsy afterwards. By the way, have you experienced derealization with this med? I've been experiencing it and I'm not sure if it's a result of the drowsiness. And it seems to be getting worse but that may be b/c I'm starting focus more on it. It's as if I'm watching the world through a pane of glass. It's wierd. Almost as if I'm living in a dream world although I'm awake. And it gets worse later in the day once the drowsiness gets heavier. At first I didn't mind it cause I was feeling better and I thought it would soon go away but it still hasn't and now I'm starting to wonder if this is just how this med works. Nonetheless, the anxiety which had been stopped to a halt when first starting this med is now starting to creep back up the past couple of days with this feeling. But then again, I've been feeling more stressed latley and that could be the reason for it. I'll bring it up w/ my doctor and see what he says.

#7 stodgyaroundthemiddle

stodgyaroundthemiddle

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 04:37 PM

Oh, and by the way, you should bring up taking 30mg with your doctor. I took 15mg for the first two nights and found that those 2 subsequent days were the worst when it came to side effects of this med, especially when it came to energy levels. Who knows, maybe all it'll take is slight bump up in dosage and it'll be your kids chasing you, just trying to keep up! :flowers:

Hey Santana21, Forgot my pill last night - cried like a baby today but didn't feel so hungry!!... I have an appointment to see my doc a week friday, so wil suggest "uping" my dose to 30mg. I get the sleepy/drowsy feeling in the afternoon, I do tend to have a little nap, I am "lucky" that as I am off work at the moment, so I can do that!! I don't say that the nap always helps, but it takes the edge off the severe tiredness and I wake in generally a better mood than I went to sleep. :hearts:

I found that taking naps didn't really help. If I nap, I'm still drowsy afterwards. By the way, have you experienced derealization with this med? I've been experiencing it and I'm not sure if it's a result of the drowsiness. And it seems to be getting worse but that may be b/c I'm starting focus more on it. It's as if I'm watching the world through a pane of glass. It's wierd. Almost as if I'm living in a dream world although I'm awake. And it gets worse later in the day once the drowsiness gets heavier. At first I didn't mind it cause I was feeling better and I thought it would soon go away but it still hasn't and now I'm starting to wonder if this is just how this med works. Nonetheless, the anxiety which had been stopped to a halt when first starting this med is now starting to creep back up the past couple of days with this feeling. But then again, I've been feeling more stressed latley and that could be the reason for it. I'll bring it up w/ my doctor and see what he says.

Not sure on that one! I am sitting trying to think if I did! I have "periods" of "I can't believe this is happening to me" both with the severity of my depression and the extreme pressure I am under from my employer. I sometimes feel like nobody is phycially listening to me and that's when I get my anxiety and I get really angry (PMT +10)! :hearts: I think I nearly had a panic attack on friday and that really freaked me out as I had never before experienced that. I also seem to have "highs" and "lows" one minute I can take on the world, the next everything seems pointless.
I guess we are gonna have to take the "suck it and see" approach. My ear buzzing/tingling has gone which is nice!! With the napping thing, I did feel tired after at the start, but now I find I have to slip in a little mid afternoon or else I am pooped, had one tonight and felt really energised after. I think the derealization thing could be linked to the drowsiness, maybe as this is my non medical thoughts!!.. Drowsiness causes the derealization - Derealization causes the anxieties to creep back because we are "aware" something is not right and I don't know about you, but I then feel like everyone is looking and everyone is having a good time all laughs and smiles, and I feel like the lady with the face like a bag of spanners, you just don't feel "part of it" this adds to my not wanting to go out or to see people. I like the fact if you can say like that we are all in "this" together, there is no judgement and people can relate to similar thoughts/feelings make sense?! As long as we all talk, that's the most important thing. :hearts: take care & be safe.

#8 Waynester

Waynester

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 02:49 AM

Hello everyone

i have recently come off of Fluoxetine Anti Depressants and been put on Mirtazapine
i started taking 15mg of Mirtazapine that was prescribed to me by my Doctor, i had to come off of the Fluoxetine for just over 7 days to let them get out of my system, so far i have been taking Mirtazapine for 7 days now, i feel tired all day long, im really nasty and irritable, agressive to friends and family, just generally feeling worse, i have even split with my Girlfriend as i feel i just want to be on my own all the time and that i cant love anyone, will i ever get better?
i know i should keep on taking this medication as i havent really given it time to work, how long should i wait before i realise its doing me any good? i have noticed im hungry all the time, especially for Chocolate and sweeties like Fruit Gums, Fruit Pastilles, can just seem to eat all day long! however, im not doing this as i dont want to become a big fatty!

i forgot to say that i came off of the Fluoxetine because i couldnt sleep, kept getting severe sweating all the time, they also didnt help my depression either, i do feel much more chilled out with Mirtazapine, but more Sedated and drowsy all the time.. so thats probably why i suppose?

just off to work now, feel soooooooooooo Groggy and Zombie like

#9 Santana21

Santana21

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 09:46 PM

Not sure on that one! I am sitting trying to think if I did! I have "periods" of "I can't believe this is happening to me" both with the severity of my depression and the extreme pressure I am under from my employer. I sometimes feel like nobody is phycially listening to me and that's when I get my anxiety and I get really angry (PMT +10)! :hearts: I think I nearly had a panic attack on friday and that really freaked me out as I had never before experienced that. I also seem to have "highs" and "lows" one minute I can take on the world, the next everything seems pointless.
I guess we are gonna have to take the "suck it and see" approach. My ear buzzing/tingling has gone which is nice!! With the napping thing, I did feel tired after at the start, but now I find I have to slip in a little mid afternoon or else I am pooped, had one tonight and felt really energised after. I think the derealization thing could be linked to the drowsiness, maybe as this is my non medical thoughts!!.. Drowsiness causes the derealization - Derealization causes the anxieties to creep back because we are "aware" something is not right and I don't know about you, but I then feel like everyone is looking and everyone is having a good time all laughs and smiles, and I feel like the lady with the face like a bag of spanners, you just don't feel "part of it" this adds to my not wanting to go out or to see people. I like the fact if you can say like that we are all in "this" together, there is no judgement and people can relate to similar thoughts/feelings make sense?! As long as we all talk, that's the most important thing. :flowers: take care & be safe.
[/quote]

Hey Stodgy,
I can definitley empathize a lot of what you're going through. I also had those feelings of the whole "I can't believe this is happening to me" type deal. It was hitting me hard in the morning when I woke up where I was faced with the brutal truth of knowing how far I've slipped into this crummy situation. The mirtazapine did take that away... but only by replacing with feelings of "D***, I'm groggy, holy crap... I have to be at work in 15 minutes! Wait, what day is it today?"

Thankfully, the groginess is pretty much all gone now.The dearealization episodes (which your comments seemed pretty spot on by the way) were freaking me out and starting this past Saturday, dropped my dose down to about 22.5mg. They have since gone away. I'm not sure if dosage has anything to do with it or if this is a placebo effect: either way, I'll take it! But this whole sedation thing is really getting out of hand though... Sometimes I have to roll the windows down in my car in the frigid cold, just to make sure I don't nod off at the wheel. My doctor (who seems way overly-medicated himself) prescribed me wellbutrin to counter the mirtazapine drowsiness. I'm very apprehensive about taking two antidepressants at once, but just like you said, let's suck it and see what happens...

#10 Guest_Hannibal_*

Guest_Hannibal_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2008 - 07:04 PM

Hello everyone

i have recently come off of Fluoxetine Anti Depressants and been put on Mirtazapine
, i feel tired all day long, im really nasty and irritable, agressive to friends and family, just generally feeling worse, i have even split with my Girlfriend as i feel i just want to be on my own all the time and that i cant love anyone, will i ever get better?
i know i should keep on taking this medication as i havent really given it time to work, how long should i wait before i realise its doing me any good? i have noticed im hungry all the time, especially for Chocolate and sweeties like Fruit Gums, Fruit Pastilles, can just seem to eat all day long! however, im not doing this as i dont want to become a big fatty!

i forgot to say that i came off of the Fluoxetine because i couldnt sleep, kept getting severe sweating all the time, they also didnt help my depression either, i do feel much more chilled out with Mirtazapine, but more Sedated and drowsy all the time.. so thats probably why i suppose?

just off to work now, feel soooooooooooo Groggy and Zombie like

Forget Prozac it's too hard on the digestive tract! While improvement with AD's can be immediate it can keep getting better for several months especially when side effects abate. drowsiness, ringing and dementia seem to abate. The big problem is weight gain. Effexor may be better on weight but Mtz is about the only one that doesn't turn you into a sexual Panda bear. Take your pick sex or weight! Just joking, as everyone is different.

I'm not sure if dosage has anything to do with it or if this is a placebo effect: either way, I'll take it! But this whole sedation thing is really getting out of hand though... Sometimes I have to roll the windows down in my car in the frigid cold, just to make sure I don't nod off at the wheel. My doctor (who seems way overly-medicated himself) prescribed me wellbutrin to counter the mirtazapine drowsiness. I'm very apprehensive about taking two antidepressants at once, but just like you said, let's suck it and see what happens...

Dosage for some can be very critical. My first attempt with Mtz resulted in withdrawal from Paroxetine. My second with paroxetine in combo (A clinical study indicated this could be successful) resulted in acute anxiety and tubular bells ringing in the ears plus absent mindedness. I am now trying 7.5 mg Mirt with 1/2 dose of Parox (10mg) and so far it is all good news? How long for I don't know. But it demonstrates that some people can be very sensitive to drugs and dose. My opinion is that not only should AD's be ramped down but they should also be ramped up. Sudden up doses can cause the things like temper tantrums, and worse the S word. Any person who is over weight and falling asleep in the car needs to be checked for sleep apnoea. AD's can dangerously affect this condition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users