• Announcements

• Lindsay

Depression Forums Are Back Online!   02/09/2016

Hello Members! Please understand that this upgrade was huge and is a process that will be ongoing for a tad longer. Somethings may not seem 'right' or look a bit 'strange' at the moment, such as your profile page or "Quotes" etc.. Some things may not work as expected... for the time being, but please appreciate that we have to prioritize function over appearance. Eventually DF will all come together and be wonderful! It will be as if nothing had ever changed... As an afterthought...DF will be ACCESSIBLE ANYTIME/ANYWHERE
      Whether you’re on your smartphone, tablet or computer, access to Depressionforums.org/forums is right at your fingertips with our new upgrade. The
      refreshing, dynamic look translates across all platforms and devices.
      Come join up, become a member if not already! It’s free to post to your peers about anything that is troubling you.  We are certain there is a Forum for that. Tomorrow we will have a Forum set up for members to answer any questions that you may have about the upgrade. We really appreciate all of your feedback! Your Forum Administrators
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
seven100

How Long Does It Take To Adjust To Bupropion?

53 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post  

I am so spaced out it took me a while to figure out how to write a reply! That's not like me at all!

I started taking Wellbutrin 5 days ago and today I started having some sever side effects, so a googled it and found this forum! It has been so helpful...I feel like I am not alone!

So, today I had chest pains and I took a NitroQuick...I have mild angina. It knocked me for a loop. I was lying down and I thougt a few minutes had passed but it was over an hour before I managed to get up. The Nitro has never done that before. My chest pain did impove though. Not the dizziness or my general confusion...

I have been very restless and unable to focus to the extreem since I have taken Wellbutrin. Last night I was up until 3AM (I usually fall asleep by 11) and then I was unable to sleep. I took a 3 mg Melatonin and fell into a very restless sleep. This am I woke up to a phone call at 9am and could hardly put words together.

I have had sever Migraine headache the past few months, worse then any in the past. These were accompanied by thoughts of suicide. My neurologist became concerned and call a psychiatrist I have seen in the past and after 2 sessions he decided to try me on 75MG in the morning of Wellbutrin. AFter some blood tests he discovered that I am vitamin B6 deficient (we are waiting for other tests to come back) He said B6 deficiency may make one depressed. Insteed of waiting for a suppliment to kick in I wanted more instant relief.

But now I feel terrible...the doctor said it can take a while to work. I do not drink, smoke or do drugs, so this kind of tampering with my brain is not something I am not used to. I have tried various meds for headache/depression before all with negative results, Cymbalta and Effexor.

My question is this. Have any of you had a hard time "getting used to" Wellbutrin?

Hi motownmom,

The short answer to your question is an emphatic YES! I'm on my second stint with the med and have had the worst time adjusting to it this time. Typical for me are odd headaches, on and off dizzyness and yes I even had the chest pains you metioned. In the end, It was decided the generic version just was not agreeing with me..I switched to the brand and most of the side ffects have now passed after 10 weeks on both versions.

The key to any med, but especially with Wellbutrin is patience...which can be very hard given the difficult side effects. it's not ging to give you 'instant relief' and you seem to be on a relatively low dose (imagine how the side effects would be on 150MG!) If you can though I would stick with it, or if you can afford it ask for the brand and see if that helps...it did for me.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Darken

Posted · Report post  

I just wanted to say thank you, and I am relieved to find this topic. I started taking Bupropion HCL SR 100 MG, a week ago, and I thought I'd lost my mind :hearts: I mean, I've had side effects before, but, these are aggrevatingly bad, because this is a time when I need to be extra alert (I've been dealing with back problems ,as well, since January, my insurance sucks, and so does the clerical staff where I go, so basically I've been acting as my own case manager. I'm happy to say though that surgery is finally scheduled for June.)

I just constantly feel cotton headed, spacey, as if I'm underwater, I'm also having minor heart palpations, and sleeping has been difficult. It's almost like being high all the time, and I stopped doing the whole pan thing a few years ago, because I hated the way I felt when I was on a trip.

Posted · Report post  

I just wanted to say thank you, and I am relieved to find this topic. I started taking Bupropion HCL SR 100 MG, a week ago, and I thought I'd lost my mind :flowers: I mean, I've had side effects before, but, these are aggrevatingly bad, because this is a time when I need to be extra alert (I've been dealing with back problems ,as well, since January, my insurance sucks, and so does the clerical staff where I go, so basically I've been acting as my own case manager. I'm happy to say though that surgery is finally scheduled for June.)

I just constantly feel cotton headed, spacey, as if I'm underwater, I'm also having minor heart palpations, and sleeping has been difficult. It's almost like being high all the time, and I stopped doing the whole pan thing a few years ago, because I hated the way I felt when I was on a trip.

Hi cookiecat and :hearts: to DF,

Glad you found this topic to be helpful. Wellbutrin can certainly be challenging to start up on as it can cause a large range of side effects at first. All the things you mentioned were effects I expereinced to some degree or another when I was getting started. I'm happy to say that they all cleared up in a short time.

Take a look around our forums topics as you may find some more information that can help you through the startup. If you don't see ananswer to a question you have, feel free to post a new topic and our members will chime in with their thoughts and experiences.

Posted · Report post  

Hi, just found this thread after a google search so I thought I'd add my experience of starting on Bupropion....

I started on 150mg of generic bupropion SR once a day for 5 days, then increased it to two doses, 8 hours apart. So whenever I take my morning dose (usually about 07:30) I always wait until exactly 8 hours later before I take the second.

I've been on the higher dose now for 3 days and I'm fine around the house. When I go out into the world and interact with other people I find that I can get spaced out and have very mild hallucinations and auditry changes. I get small head rushes and also find concentration difficult. Its just like being stoned. It bothers me because interacting with people can be difficult when feeling wierd like this.

Seeing the other comments on this forum has eased my worry completely, so thank you for that. My plan now is to just get on with it and try my best to ignore these temporary side effects. I find taking a deep breath and a few seconds to calm down helps too.

Something else to mention about Bupropion is that the withdrawal symptoms are quite mild. I was on Venlefaxine (an SSRI) for about 5 years and coming of that was a total nightmare - I had the "brain zaps" for a couple of months after I stopped taking it, even though I weaned off it very slowly.

I'm glad that when I no longer need the bupropion, it will be an easier transition to come off it.

Posted · Report post  

OMG i just have to tell you guys that I am SO relieved to have found this blog!! I have SEVERE depression and every year it has gotten harder to cope with it!! I've been on a constant search to find a medication that will help me to find a way to enjoy life! I just started taking Bupropion XL and i seriously thought i was going insane. now, keep in mind the reason that I started taking the drug was to aid in the fight against my depression, but i seriously thought i had completely lost my marbles around the start of taking this drug, and i didn't even know it was the drug that was making this happen. in the beginning, I thought it was just my brain malfunctioning because i had heard the Bupropion is the drug that acts quickly to relieve the symptoms of depression. Holy Sh*t what i went through was confusing lapses between reality and fantasy. I was sooo confused that I had no idea what was real and not real. Because of my lengthy depressive history, I've discovered that suicide is an expensive and time consuming alternative (sad) and so i thought that this mental state was going to be IT for the rest of my life. I thought i'd finally cracked. Until i found this blog and saw that other people were experiencing the same thing, I thought my life was hopeless.

I've lost all sense of time ever since i started this drug, i had to actually look at my prescription bottle to remember when it was that i got on this stuff. July 7th! it's the 18th today. I was told to increase my dose after a week to 300mg and have done that. I now get a headache every day, my head feels like it's going to explode, I have no energy, and am irritable as hell. my job requires me to be completely present, as i'm a hairstylist. LOL luckily i haven't hurt anyone with my sharp implements (joke). Anyway, it's so nice to hear that I'm not the only one going through this. SO NICE!! so it's only been a little less than two weeks since i got on this stuff and i still have a bit of disconnected vision, if i turn my eyes to look at something else it feels like there's a small electroshock sensation that jolts my brain a little, and i feel as a person that i'm disconnected. I really hope this goes away soon. I also have no interest in doing anything social, eating right, and feel slightly paranoid as if i've done something wrong and am going to get reprimanded by a teacher... I'm sooo sick of being depressed that I feel i should stick this out. It's just so hard to deal with these side effects when you have a job, and are trying to get your sh*t done! Also, even sitting down to my computer to write this note has been confusing. Respond if you'd like :)

Posted · Report post  

I can agree because today is day 13 on generic wellbutrin and these side effects are begining to tick me off. Everyday I wake up I take 100mg in the morning and 100mg in the afternoon followed by .25 to .50mg of clonazepham for my anxiety. This really is a rollercoaster ride because one day the meds are ok and the next is miserable, and what is up with the dizziness felling all the time I feel completly spaced out sometimes and I would like to hope that this gets better soon because I can't live my life with the constant dizziness its just to much.

Posted · Report post  

I've been taking Bupropion SR for 7 weeks and don't know what to do. I want to give it more time, because it's worked for me in the past. But I feel like total garbage.

Has anyone waited for more than 7 weeks and gotten good results??

Posted · Report post  

I've been taking Bupropion SR for 7 weeks and don't know what to do. I want to give it more time, because it's worked for me in the past. But I feel like total garbage.

YES.

These medications take time, sometimes a long time. If it's worked for you in the past, I have to believe it will work again. Are you on the same dosage you were on previously? If WB worked for you previously, there's no way I'd ditch your trial. I have no medical basis to back this up, but perhaps since you used it before it will take you longer this time to become stable.

Hang in there. It's hard, I know. I'm on my fourth week and am currently in "post-honeymoon" phase and waiting for the full effects. But I'm already stable on Remeron, so I don't feel like total garbage as I am using WB as an add-on. Use these boards for support, and keep posting as much as you need to.

Posted · Report post  

YES.

These medications take time, sometimes a long time. If it's worked for you in the past, I have to believe it will work again. Are you on the same dosage you were on previously? If WB worked for you previously, there's no way I'd ditch your trial. I have no medical basis to back this up, but perhaps since you used it before it will take you longer this time to become stable.

Hang in there. It's hard, I know. I'm on my fourth week and am currently in "post-honeymoon" phase and waiting for the full effects. But I'm already stable on Remeron, so I don't feel like total garbage as I am using WB as an add-on. Use these boards for support, and keep posting as much as you need to.

Awesome, I'll give it some more time.. I never remembered how s***ty the start up was first time around.

Posted · Report post  

YES.

Awesome, I'll give it some more time.. I never remembered how s***ty the start up was first time around.

Hi,

I have been on SSRIs for almost 7-8 years now. Do not know if they really helped me. I figured out that I have Dysthymia recently as I have been on this depressed state since I dont know when. Am married for 3.5 years now. SSRIs are known to cause sexual dysfunction hence my Phsychitirst put me on Bupron (Welbutrin) as I told him that we wish to have a kid now. Have been on wellbutirn for 7 weeks now. But man this medicine has literally given me nightmares. My mood suddenly plunged after two weeks. Do not now when was the last time I felt so down. Everyday I think of giving up this medicine as the depression has really become unbearbble. But at the same time I do not wish to give it up so easily. Have read in this forum that you should wait atleast for min eight weeks before you consider changing your med. Also it has helped me on two aspects: reduced my smoking considerably and libido is up. In the last seven weeks , havent felt good anytime. In the morning the anxiety is so high that I just dread getting up in the morning for office. Will be going abroad in 10 days time , but if this med doesnt start kicking by that time. I will have serious trouble with such low mood. Will have to make presentations as this is a business trip. Feel so helpless, as am not sure if this med is for me or not???? Has anybody gone through a similar phase. Please suggest. Should i wait or quit this med for good now.

Posted · Report post  

Hi and Welcome Dysh05

You may want to wait another week and if you are still feeling this way, go back to the doc. I am not a professional, but an increased dosage may help, which you would have to discuss with your doc.

Trace

Posted · Report post  

Hi,

I have been on SSRIs for almost 7-8 years now. Do not know if they really helped me. I figured out that I have Dysthymia recently as I have been on this depressed state since I dont know when. Am married for 3.5 years now. SSRIs are known to cause sexual dysfunction hence my Phsychitirst put me on Bupron (Welbutrin) as I told him that we wish to have a kid now. Have been on wellbutirn for 7 weeks now. But man this medicine has literally given me nightmares. My mood suddenly plunged after two weeks. Do not now when was the last time I felt so down. Everyday I think of giving up this medicine as the depression has really become unbearbble. But at the same time I do not wish to give it up so easily. Have read in this forum that you should wait atleast for min eight weeks before you consider changing your med. Also it has helped me on two aspects: reduced my smoking considerably and libido is up. In the last seven weeks , havent felt good anytime. In the morning the anxiety is so high that I just dread getting up in the morning for office. Will be going abroad in 10 days time , but if this med doesnt start kicking by that time. I will have serious trouble with such low mood. Will have to make presentations as this is a business trip. Feel so helpless, as am not sure if this med is for me or not???? Has anybody gone through a similar phase. Please suggest. Should i wait or quit this med for good now.

Wellbutrin never worked for me. I got awful insanely vivid nasty nightmares, mood swings, it made me overemotional, it was a mess. I waited for a full 6 weeks too, and the bad side effects never went away and I never felt any benefit from it. So I discontinued it.

Not every medication works for every person. Zoloft worked well for me, but caused sexual side effects (anorgasmia) that were enough for me to want to discontinue the medication.

I'm currently on Cymbalta. I LOVE it. No bad awful side effects (just a slight dry mouth and slight dizziness every now and then), no sexual side effects, and my depression's gone and I feel like myself again. It's my miracle drug. :)

If you've been on Wellbutrin for 7 weeks, and still have bad side effects, and no positive side effects I'd say it's time to go back to your pdoc and ask to try a different medication. FWIW, Cymbalta has a tendancy to cause sexual side effects in men, but not women.

Posted · Report post  

I have a question:

I have been on bupropion for somewhere between 10-14 weeks. Just a few weeks ago I caught a cold that only lasted a few days, but ever since then I have been feeling "Fuzzy headed". Almost like a sinus infection, but different.

It's almost like I have out-of-body experiences. Today I was having a very heated discussion with my mother, and while we were arguing - I felt "detached" - like I was watching myself from the outside - almost like I was on "auto-pilot"

It's just a really wierd feeling.

I've also been much more irratible within the last few weeks. I find myself "losing my cool" more often - almost more often then prior to starting my meds. When I first staterd, i felt absolutely great. I was feeling good, losing weight, and had tons of energy.....

.....NOW, i'm more lethargic, have my appetite back, and just feel in a haze.

IS THIS NORMAL?

Did anyone else have this type of experience?

and most importantly, DOES IT GO AWAY?

again, it might just be a result of the cold I am getting over, but I would like to hear if anyone else has experienced this

Posted · Report post  

I was feeling good, losing weight, and had tons of energy.....

.....NOW, i'm more lethargic, have my appetite back, and just feel in a haze.

IS THIS NORMAL?

Did anyone else have this type of experience?

and most importantly, DOES IT GO AWAY?

Dave, I think most people probably experience some of what you're talking about. Many have that initial feeling of a lot of energy and just generally feeling better for a short bit, followed by a period where you're just as bad off as you were before you started WB (or even worse).

It's probably a good sign that you at least felt the initial benefits. People that get long term benefits from WB usually go through a period like you're going through now, and then when the good feelings return, they're not as pronounced as when you first started, but just consistently good (so I've read).

Trishyg likes this

Posted · Report post  

Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting so please bear with me. This is the only forum i've found that is addressing what is happening to me.

About 15 years ago I suffered with a severe bout of depression. I was on Prozac(went partially blind in one eye), and many other AD's. I finally got better and was able to stop my meds. Now everything is in my life is falling apart and i don't see any hope for the future. My mom just died and we are losing everything we own. So here i am again so depressed I don't know what to do. I just started generic Bupropion 6 days ago to try to help. The first day i took 2 doses and did not sleep a wink that night and felt like I was insane. My doc said to just take 1 for awhile until it get used to it. I guess i should be taking it in the morning but I have been waiting until mid afternoon. I'm having a really hard time sleeping because my heart is beating so fast it feels like it will come right out of my chest not to mention it beats hard all day as well. I have been very unfocused and confused all week. I just want to climb out of my skin. i don't want to be around anyone at all. I just feel like I am obsessing all the time on how weird I feel. I also have so much anxiety that I panic as soon as I wake up in the morning. I have taken Xanax a few times this week but I am so afraid it take it too much. It is so hard to put into words how difficult this is. My Dr. says to stick with it but I have to know that these feelings will go away soon. I feel even worse than I did before I started. Any advise would be appreciated.

Posted · Report post  

Hey Sew:

These drugs often create anxiety symptoms early in the process. So you feel worse before you feel better. I would take the Bupropion in the morning. That's when I take it. And don't be scared to take the Xanax as prescribed. It will probably help. And you won't get addicted. You've already proven you are careful about it. And it is possible to taper off the Xanax fairly easily when the bupropion kicks in.

Keep us posted. People here are good at coaching folks about getting on these drugs.

Tim

Posted · Report post  

Thanks Tim,

It is nice to know that there are people out here to help me through this. I feel so crazy that I just don't know if I can handle it much longer. What is a good time to take it in the morning? I'm only talking 1 150 SR daily but I'm supposed to up it to 2 a day. Is timing really important? I am just so scared right now, i don't know what to do.

Sewmo

Hey Sew:

These drugs often create anxiety symptoms early in the process. So you feel worse before you feel better. I would take the Bupropion in the morning. That's when I take it. And don't be scared to take the Xanax as prescribed. It will probably help. And you won't get addicted. You've already proven you are careful about it. And it is possible to taper off the Xanax fairly easily when the bupropion kicks in.

Keep us posted. People here are good at coaching folks about getting on these drugs.

Tim

Posted · Report post  

Hi Sew:

Take it in the morning right after you get up. Your doc said you could take one pill for now, so that's the way to go until your body adjusts. Wellbutrin like almost all Anti depres. will make you feel anxious and dizzy before they make you feel better. This may last about two weeks. But it almost always goes away. That's why you have the Xanax to help you through the adjustment period. It is okay to take the Xanax to help you sleep or function better during the day. Just follow the doctor's directions. You won't get addicted. It is not that hard to taper off Xanax when the Wellbutrin kicks in with its helping properties.

Tim

Posted · Report post  

Thanks again Tim,

I feel better just having someone to talk to. I took it a little earlier today. Tomorrow i will take first ting. Mornings have been unbearable lately. Maybe this will help. I hope it will get better soon.

Sewmo

Posted · Report post  

Hey everyone. Glad to hear that other people have had trouble with this med as well. Everyone I know says that I shouldn't be feeling these things and that it must just be anxiety. Which is very frustrating.

Well I started Wellbutrin 100sr in the morning Thursday and that day, I felt strange, a little high, not nothing too bad, It got out of my system around 4 and I was soooo relieved. Then the second day I took it, I felt like I was on crack.. my eyes were rolling to the back of my head and it got out of my system around 4 and I was so glad, but exhausted after it got out, like I was just running a marathon all day. Today I took it and I went to the store and felt all relaxed and then I was in the store and I realized that i was feeling super high and I hate feeling high, I feel very detached from the world when I am high, but it was better than feeling like I was on hardcore hardcore hardcore drugs like the day before.I hate the feeling of being on drugs. I just want to be happy, and be able to actually do things without feeling stoned.

So in the morning, I have relief.. then around 1 it kicks in and then at 4 it passes. Here is my question.. is this terrible feeling gonna appear 24/7 once it gets further into my system or will I have a little relief like I am now at night? Is this just going to get worse? The feeling stoned and stupid part?

Posted · Report post  

I'm at one month now on WB and I'm not satisfied with results, but I guess will give it another month. I have a dr appt this week and am going to ask if I can get a low dose of Zoloft to add as I need more for my anxiety. I like the extra energy from WB and sometimes think it is working, but so far, it's not overall giving me the feeling I had hoped to have.

I had a horrible experience yesterday with taking Buspar/WB. It's like they negtively interacted with each other and I had horrible insomnia and night sweats, anxiety, racing negative thoughts...ugh. I am never taking Buspar again.

Posted · Report post  

Does the aggressive/no patience, unable to relax phase pass with WB? Or is it just something you need to deal with?

Posted · Report post  

I'm on Wellbutrin and it use to make me anxious initially but eventually went away. You may ask your doctor to give you something to get you through this phase.

Lindahurt

Does the aggressive/no patience, unable to relax phase pass with WB? Or is it just something you need to deal with?

Posted · Report post  

I'm on Wellbutrin and it use to make me anxious initially but eventually went away. You may ask your doctor to give you something to get you through this phase.

Lindahurt

OK, one last question. Lately, my personality has just been totally dead, like I don't feel like myself at all, feel kind of like a robot. It scares me so much, I'm afraid that if I continue to take this, it will change my personality forever. Had you experienced personality change at first? Ive read stories where people had totally lost themselves while on this med, lost who they were.

Posted · Report post  

No playcrackthesky. My experience was different. I had an increase in anxiety and insomnia but my doctor gave me something to take care of those issues. I have never heard that about wellbutrin though it may be the experience of some others. Maybe someone else on DF has and will share with you.

Lindahurt

Lindahurt

OK, one last question. Lately, my personality has just been totally dead, like I don't feel like myself at all, feel kind of like a robot. It scares me so much, I'm afraid that if I continue to take this, it will change my personality forever. Had you experienced personality change at first? Ive read stories where people had totally lost themselves while on this med, lost who they were.