Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

How Long Does It Take To Adjust To Bupropion?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
52 replies to this topic

#1 seven100

seven100

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 07:33 PM

My doctor prescribed Bupropion ten days ago, 150mg twice daily. This is the first antidepressant I've taken. I expected it to be a more or less benign experience. I figured the changes would be gradual. That isn't what happened. For the first two days I felt almost like I had taken acid or something. It was extreme. I'm a recovering alcoholic and addict, who hasn't had anything stronger than caffeine for the last four years, maybe that's why it packed such a wallop. I promise you I was almost non-functional. By the third day things had begun to mellow out a bit, enough so that I could work and do the things I need to do. Now it's the tenth day, and I still get that drugged feeling each time I take this medication, and frankly I don"t like it a whole lot. Has anyone had an experience like this. Will the medicated feeling pass? I hope so, because I really am feeling somewhat more positive lately. Is my dose too high?

#2 Flyingdream

Flyingdream

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 07:18 PM

My doctor prescribed Bupropion ten days ago, 150mg twice daily. This is the first antidepressant I've taken. I expected it to be a more or less benign experience. I figured the changes would be gradual. That isn't what happened. For the first two days I felt almost like I had taken acid or something. It was extreme. I'm a recovering alcoholic and addict, who hasn't had anything stronger than caffeine for the last four years, maybe that's why it packed such a wallop. I promise you I was almost non-functional. By the third day things had begun to mellow out a bit, enough so that I could work and do the things I need to do. Now it's the tenth day, and I still get that drugged feeling each time I take this medication, and frankly I don"t like it a whole lot. Has anyone had an experience like this. Will the medicated feeling pass? I hope so, because I really am feeling somewhat more positive lately. Is my dose too high?

I am a recovering alcoholic also. I had the same experience you had. I took a 150 mg XL at work and wished I had waited for a day off. I was wigged out all day and half of the next day. I called my Psy. and told her I'm NOT taking the full dose of this . She changed my script to 100 mg and told me to work up to 3X a day(300)mgs. I still was not able to handle 100mg at a time,so I cut up the pill and took small pieces, a little bit bigger piece a day. (be carefull cutting the XL's it might release it all at once). I like the SL better. Wellbutrin was my first drug in sobriety also. I was kind of scared by the potency of 1 pill. I took it real slow. It took me about 6 weeks to get up to 100mg 3x day.
The good news is it works well and yes, the drugged feeling goes away. I am still taking it, about 2years now. I got really drowsy from it so I took it once a day at bedtime till I did not feel any side effects then worked a second and third dose in on weekends when I could take a nap.
Taking it with food cuts down the punch a lot. Don't wash them down with hot coffee it melts them too fast.
Hope I helped you
Later,

#3 susiesue08

susiesue08

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 07:52 PM

I don't think your prior alcohol &/or drug experience has anything to do with the bad reaction. I haven't had a drink in a month (I drink occasionally) and on day 3 of Wellbutrin last week I felt like I was on a really bad drug trip & was having psychotic thoughts, too. My GP told me that some people are just unable to take Wb & if they experience bizarre episodes they should consider a different drug. I'm starting a new med next week.

#4 seven100

seven100

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:36 PM

Thanks everyone for the information. Actually, as of today things have evened out quite a bit. It's a huge relief, because I really would like for this to work.

#5 susiesue08

susiesue08

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:57 PM

Good luck. I hope it works out for you.

#6 Flyingdream

Flyingdream

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 10:14 PM

Thanks everyone for the information. Actually, as of today things have evened out quite a bit. It's a huge relief, because I really would like for this to work.

Good to hear that! Let us know how it goes.

#7 masmith

masmith

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 12:41 PM

I to had my doubts about taking Wellbutrin. I went through ups and downs and that "drugged" feeling. After 7 weeks I'll say that nearly all side effects are gone and it's beginning to work like it should.

#8 DiesIrae

DiesIrae

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 05:03 PM

I felt pretty stoned on my first week of Bupropion, too. I'd say after about ten days, the stoned-feeling got less severe, and by day 15 it was pretty much gone. :hearts:
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” – Buddha
I hope, whoever you are, that the world turns, and that things get better, and I hope most of all is you understand what I mean when I say that even though I do not know you, and I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you...I love you. With all my heart, I love you.

#9 seven100

seven100

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 11:23 PM

This is just a follow-up to my original post, and more questions. I'm now beginning my 6th week on Wellbutrin, actually Budeprion. Almost all of the side effects I experienced in the beginning have ceased. I no longer have that strange drugged feeling that I did in the beginning. The only thing that remains is a buzzing sound in my ears, but it's tolerable.

Unfortuneately some of the pleasant side effects have ceased as well. I would say that I definitely feel better emotionally. My friends and family have noticed a huge improvement, but for the last week or so I find that I'm exhausted once again. That much needed spurt of energy that the med gave me in the beginning is just gone. I take 150mg twice a day. The first dose I take in the morning, and I feel fine until about eight hours later, then I crash. If I take the second dose at this time, then no problems I'm back in business again. If I wait, and try to leave twelve hours between doses, I crash for those last four hours. I'm so tired I can't keep my eyes open, and I get a constant dull headache.

One would think this isn't such a problem. Why not just take the second dose eight hours later, and that works to some extent. The problem is that now there's a long gap between doses overnight. It's nearly impossible to wake up in the morning, and usually it's the pounding headache that finally gets me up.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to take this more successfully? Would it be better if I took the med three times a day? I could ask the doc for a lower mg tablet, and then take it every eight hours. Would a higher dosage help? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

#10 Guru

Guru

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 09:43 AM

Hi seven100,

Are you taking the SR or the XL version of the med? If you are taking SR, you may want to ask your doc about switching to the XL since this releases more gradually than the SR. Then, if you take it every 12 hours it may smooth things out a bit for you. Hope this helps!

Guru

#11 lisarowe

lisarowe

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 07:12 PM

Hey~ I'm new to the board but I've been lurking for 2-3 days. I wanted to ask the same question. I'm done with the so-called "Honeymoon Phase" which I loved and now that's over, I'm back to how I was before. I am sleeping all the time and eating a lot of junk food to fill that hole in my heart <3 Am I suppose to progress from that state or do I have to wait a few weeks. What happened to each of you after the first few energetic days passed?

#12 Professorben112

Professorben112

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 12:44 AM

Hey~ I'm new to the board but I've been lurking for 2-3 days. I wanted to ask the same question. I'm done with the so-called "Honeymoon Phase" which I loved and now that's over, I'm back to how I was before. I am sleeping all the time and eating a lot of junk food to fill that hole in my heart <3 Am I suppose to progress from that state or do I have to wait a few weeks. What happened to each of you after the first few energetic days passed?

I felt pretty low after the honeymoon nearly 5 weeks ago, then went up slightly, then back down, then hovered somewhere in between low and average. Someone in this forum referred to it as a roller coaster, and that's absolutely what it felt like. For me, there was no noticeable improvement until about a week ago. Some improve sooner, others later, but the rule of thumb is 4-8 weeks. Hopefully you see it sooner :hearts:

#13 eieio

eieio

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 09:02 AM

I've been on it for just a week now. The first couple of days my brain felt blinky, like it was having power surges or something. Since then I've had intermittent headaches and poor sleep, neither of which were an issue before I started taking it. I'm not noticing any changes, but the past couple of days I've felt worse, but I wonder if that's related to PMS because it is a familiar feeling, but I'm a bit more um, outspoken about my mood much to my husband's dismay. :hearts: :hearts:

I know it's only been a week and I need to give it a chance, but I'm really not liking it right now.

A few years back I had been on it and don't remember these side effects, though I was on the SR version. I did have night sweats and vivid dreams, but at least I was sleeping. :flowers:

#14 eieio

eieio

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:38 AM

I've been on it for just a week now. The first couple of days my brain felt blinky, like it was having power surges or something. Since then I've had intermittent headaches and poor sleep, neither of which were an issue before I started taking it. I'm not noticing any changes, but the past couple of days I've felt worse, but I wonder if that's related to PMS because it is a familiar feeling, but I'm a bit more um, outspoken about my mood much to my husband's dismay. :hearts: :hearts:

I know it's only been a week and I need to give it a chance, but I'm really not liking it right now.

A few years back I had been on it and don't remember these side effects, though I was on the SR version. I did have night sweats and vivid dreams, but at least I was sleeping. :flowers:

An hour and a half after posting this (maybe 2.5 hours since taking the med) I feel like I am going to fly out of my skin. I'm going to call my dr office and talk with her nurse, I don't think I want to continue taking this. I have xanax for the anxiety for my trip... I'll take that and deal with it, but I just don't know if I want to be feeling this way and being so far from home. I don't know if I will be feeling like this in 3 weeks, but honestly, I don't want to wait around to find out! I don't know what to do.

#15 Darken

Darken

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 04:31 PM

Eieio,

I'm not a doctor so I can't tell you what is right for you, but I will say that Wellbutrin does have a 'difficult' startup phase...it certainly requires the most patience of any of the AD's and more often then not people give up before they can get any benefit to the medication. I'm sure you know about the 6-8 weeks of feeling benefits..but also during this time your adjusting to the medicine so things can get kind of crazy to be sure...I found it was worth the struggles and have noticed a huge AD benefit after settling in...unfortuantely the first few weeks were a tough road.

If you can my adice is to hang in there...but if its too much then don't force it as its not for everyone..

Good Luck and keep us posted

Darken
........__o -----------> Get out and exercise believe me it helps!
....._ \<,_ -----------> I'm riding for blood cancer victims this year
....(_)/ (_) -----------> I'll be raising money while cycling over 4,000 miles!

There is no better treatment for depression then the support of your family.

Suicide Help on DF

#16 eieio

eieio

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 06:56 PM

Eieio,

I'm not a doctor so I can't tell you what is right for you, but I will say that Wellbutrin does have a 'difficult' startup phase...it certainly requires the most patience of any of the AD's and more often then not people give up before they can get any benefit to the medication. I'm sure you know about the 6-8 weeks of feeling benefits..but also during this time your adjusting to the medicine so things can get kind of crazy to be sure...I found it was worth the struggles and have noticed a huge AD benefit after settling in...unfortuantely the first few weeks were a tough road.

If you can my adice is to hang in there...but if its too much then don't force it as its not for everyone..

Good Luck and keep us posted

Darken

I bet you're right. But I am leaving in less than 3 weeks on a trip abroad with 30 or so other people. I am having enough anxiety about this trip because of my high need of being alone and not wanting to be around people 24/7. I'm afraid by continuing the meds at this time, still during the adjustment period that I'm going to have a total meltdown there. TBPH, the thought of feeling this way, so far away from the familiar and comfortable is scarier to me than going on the trip feeling somewhat depressed, if that makes any sense. So maybe this is the right med for me, but I do believe this is the wrong time to be starting it. I wish I had realised that before I took my first dose last week. :-(

#17 Darken

Darken

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 11:52 AM

I bet you're right. But I am leaving in less than 3 weeks on a trip abroad with 30 or so other people. I am having enough anxiety about this trip because of my high need of being alone and not wanting to be around people 24/7. I'm afraid by continuing the meds at this time, still during the adjustment period that I'm going to have a total meltdown there. TBPH, the thought of feeling this way, so far away from the familiar and comfortable is scarier to me than going on the trip feeling somewhat depressed, if that makes any sense. So maybe this is the right med for me, but I do believe this is the wrong time to be starting it. I wish I had realised that before I took my first dose last week. :-(

I'm inclined to agree with you that this may not have been the right time to start up with the Wellbutrin. I'm also a little puzzled as to why your doc would suggest it when you were having so much anxiety about your trip. Wellbutrin can be known to increase anxiety so it doesn't seem like the best choice if you were already anxious.
Perhaps when you get back you can give it another shot...I'm sorry you had so many problems so early on, keep us posted on how your doing if you can.

Darken

Suicide Help on DF

#18 eieio

eieio

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 04:05 PM

I'm inclined to agree with you that this may not have been the right time to start up with the Wellbutrin. I'm also a little puzzled as to why your doc would suggest it when you were having so much anxiety about your trip. Wellbutrin can be known to increase anxiety so it doesn't seem like the best choice if you were already anxious.
Perhaps when you get back you can give it another shot...I'm sorry you had so many problems so early on, keep us posted on how your doing if you can.

Darken

It was rx'd to me because I had such good luck with it the last time I was on it (over 2 yrs ago); after trying zoloft, paxil, celexa and effexor with no long term or positive improvement. I think the effexor I was on for just a few weeks and that was just scary to me, I felt so ragey and like a screaming mimi. It was awful. I don't know what else to try, or if I should even bother.

What is really frustrating to me today, is I called my Dr's office to talk to someone there about it yesterday morning and no one has called me back. I've got another appt scheduled in a couple of weeks, I'm going to be sure to let her know that no one called back. I will try again on Monday, jsut to make the effort. This is a new practice to me and I don't like how the office is managed at all. The doctors are lovely, but it's not managed well and that's unfortunate.

#19 jellybean27

jellybean27

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 04:45 PM

hi i have been on bupropion for bout 3 yrs n i felt the same way it does pass, but to be safe maybe ask ur doctor if u need to start on a lower dose. i started low n im now takin 300mg. This is the only medication that works for me so i would just give it a month n if u still feel drugged i would ask ur doctor.

~ My hope for a good life is porportionate to my forgiving heart.

Happiness is within my power. ~

~ I need courage to face the truth; and the truth will strengthen me ~
Posted Image

#20 Professorben112

Professorben112

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 09:59 PM

I've been on Budeprion XL 150 mg for 2 months, and 300 mg for 1 month. I haven't been feeling any consistent effects, so is it time to jump ship?

#21 Darken

Darken

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 02:22 AM

Good Question...one way to know if Wellbutrin may work in the longterm is to ask yourself did you feel any effects whe starting up? Many people who have success with the medicine enjoy a brief period at the very beginning where they feel almost euphoric. As absurd as it sounds this can be a hint that you wil see improvement in the later stages of taking the med. After three months I would think you should start to see some improvement with your depression...but different meds affect people in different ways.

Have you had any side effects? This can be another sign the medicine is donig something..with me as my depression decreased my side effects remained constant...most of them eventually went away...but it was frustrating to experience so many of them during the course of startup.

In the end you are the best person to determine if you are going to benefit from this particular med...discuss it with your doctor, and think about if you have had ANY improvement...if not it may be time to move on to somethng else.

Darken

Suicide Help on DF

#22 gaugreg1x

gaugreg1x

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 01:25 PM

My Opinion....I would probably stick with it a while longer. The 150mg is basically a starter dose. I was on that for a month, then went to the 300mg XL. I would say it took a good 4-5 months at the 300mg dose to have its full effect, in my case. Greg

I've been on Budeprion XL 150 mg for 2 months, and 300 mg for 1 month. I haven't been feeling any consistent effects, so is it time to jump ship?

#23 motownmom

motownmom

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 03:57 PM

I am so spaced out it took me a while to figure out how to write a reply! That's not like me at all!

I started taking Wellbutrin 5 days ago and today I started having some sever side effects, so a googled it and found this forum! It has been so helpful...I feel like I am not alone!

So, today I had chest pains and I took a NitroQuick...I have mild angina. It knocked me for a loop. I was lying down and I thougt a few minutes had passed but it was over an hour before I managed to get up. The Nitro has never done that before. My chest pain did impove though. Not the dizziness or my general confusion...

I have been very restless and unable to focus to the extreem since I have taken Wellbutrin. Last night I was up until 3AM (I usually fall asleep by 11) and then I was unable to sleep. I took a 3 mg Melatonin and fell into a very restless sleep. This am I woke up to a phone call at 9am and could hardly put words together.

I have had sever Migraine headache the past few months, worse then any in the past. These were accompanied by thoughts of suicide. My neurologist became concerned and call a psychiatrist I have seen in the past and after 2 sessions he decided to try me on 75MG in the morning of Wellbutrin. AFter some blood tests he discovered that I am vitamin B6 deficient (we are waiting for other tests to come back) He said B6 deficiency may make one depressed. Insteed of waiting for a suppliment to kick in I wanted more instant relief.

But now I feel terrible...the doctor said it can take a while to work. I do not drink, smoke or do drugs, so this kind of tampering with my brain is not something I am not used to. I have tried various meds for headache/depression before all with negative results, Cymbalta and Effexor.

My question is this. Have any of you had a hard time "getting used to" Wellbutrin?

#24 motownmom

motownmom

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 04:13 PM

:hearts: I also exercise every other day...but today I am so spacy I just can't do it. Much to myown regret I am not going to drive through the snow and ice to the health club. That make me feel awful.

#25 ophelia123

ophelia123

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 04:15 PM

Hi Motownmom
Welcome to DF. Starting a new anti-depressant can be so rough. I recently started Celexa and have been feeling worse rather than better. I have taken Wellbutrin in the past and it is the only AD I didn't have any side effects with. I guess everyone is so different. I had horrible side effects with other meds though. Make sure you keep your doctor updated about how you're feeling. It does usually get better after a few weeks. Sorry I can't be of more help except to say that you're definitely not alone in this. I hope you feel better soon.

#26 Darken

Darken

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 02:49 AM

I am so spaced out it took me a while to figure out how to write a reply! That's not like me at all!

I started taking Wellbutrin 5 days ago and today I started having some sever side effects, so a googled it and found this forum! It has been so helpful...I feel like I am not alone!

So, today I had chest pains and I took a NitroQuick...I have mild angina. It knocked me for a loop. I was lying down and I thougt a few minutes had passed but it was over an hour before I managed to get up. The Nitro has never done that before. My chest pain did impove though. Not the dizziness or my general confusion...

I have been very restless and unable to focus to the extreem since I have taken Wellbutrin. Last night I was up until 3AM (I usually fall asleep by 11) and then I was unable to sleep. I took a 3 mg Melatonin and fell into a very restless sleep. This am I woke up to a phone call at 9am and could hardly put words together.

I have had sever Migraine headache the past few months, worse then any in the past. These were accompanied by thoughts of suicide. My neurologist became concerned and call a psychiatrist I have seen in the past and after 2 sessions he decided to try me on 75MG in the morning of Wellbutrin. AFter some blood tests he discovered that I am vitamin B6 deficient (we are waiting for other tests to come back) He said B6 deficiency may make one depressed. Insteed of waiting for a suppliment to kick in I wanted more instant relief.

But now I feel terrible...the doctor said it can take a while to work. I do not drink, smoke or do drugs, so this kind of tampering with my brain is not something I am not used to. I have tried various meds for headache/depression before all with negative results, Cymbalta and Effexor.

My question is this. Have any of you had a hard time "getting used to" Wellbutrin?

Hi motownmom,

The short answer to your question is an emphatic YES! I'm on my second stint with the med and have had the worst time adjusting to it this time. Typical for me are odd headaches, on and off dizzyness and yes I even had the chest pains you metioned. In the end, It was decided the generic version just was not agreeing with me..I switched to the brand and most of the side ffects have now passed after 10 weeks on both versions.

The key to any med, but especially with Wellbutrin is patience...which can be very hard given the difficult side effects. it's not ging to give you 'instant relief' and you seem to be on a relatively low dose (imagine how the side effects would be on 150MG!) If you can though I would stick with it, or if you can afford it ask for the brand and see if that helps...it did for me.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Darken

Suicide Help on DF

#27 cookiecat

cookiecat

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 11:50 PM

I just wanted to say thank you, and I am relieved to find this topic. I started taking Bupropion HCL SR 100 MG, a week ago, and I thought I'd lost my mind :hearts: I mean, I've had side effects before, but, these are aggrevatingly bad, because this is a time when I need to be extra alert (I've been dealing with back problems ,as well, since January, my insurance sucks, and so does the clerical staff where I go, so basically I've been acting as my own case manager. I'm happy to say though that surgery is finally scheduled for June.)

I just constantly feel cotton headed, spacey, as if I'm underwater, I'm also having minor heart palpations, and sleeping has been difficult. It's almost like being high all the time, and I stopped doing the whole urn thing a few years ago, because I hated the way I felt when I was on a trip.

#28 Darken

Darken

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 12:29 PM

I just wanted to say thank you, and I am relieved to find this topic. I started taking Bupropion HCL SR 100 MG, a week ago, and I thought I'd lost my mind :flowers: I mean, I've had side effects before, but, these are aggrevatingly bad, because this is a time when I need to be extra alert (I've been dealing with back problems ,as well, since January, my insurance sucks, and so does the clerical staff where I go, so basically I've been acting as my own case manager. I'm happy to say though that surgery is finally scheduled for June.)

I just constantly feel cotton headed, spacey, as if I'm underwater, I'm also having minor heart palpations, and sleeping has been difficult. It's almost like being high all the time, and I stopped doing the whole urn thing a few years ago, because I hated the way I felt when I was on a trip.

Hi cookiecat and :hearts: to DF,

Glad you found this topic to be helpful. Wellbutrin can certainly be challenging to start up on as it can cause a large range of side effects at first. All the things you mentioned were effects I expereinced to some degree or another when I was getting started. I'm happy to say that they all cleared up in a short time.

Take a look around our forums topics as you may find some more information that can help you through the startup. If you don't see ananswer to a question you have, feel free to post a new topic and our members will chime in with their thoughts and experiences.

Suicide Help on DF

#29 Draytoc

Draytoc

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:36 AM

Hi, just found this thread after a google search so I thought I'd add my experience of starting on Bupropion....

I started on 150mg of generic bupropion SR once a day for 5 days, then increased it to two doses, 8 hours apart. So whenever I take my morning dose (usually about 07:30) I always wait until exactly 8 hours later before I take the second.

I've been on the higher dose now for 3 days and I'm fine around the house. When I go out into the world and interact with other people I find that I can get spaced out and have very mild hallucinations and auditry changes. I get small head rushes and also find concentration difficult. Its just like being stoned. It bothers me because interacting with people can be difficult when feeling wierd like this.

Seeing the other comments on this forum has eased my worry completely, so thank you for that. My plan now is to just get on with it and try my best to ignore these temporary side effects. I find taking a deep breath and a few seconds to calm down helps too.

Something else to mention about Bupropion is that the withdrawal symptoms are quite mild. I was on Venlefaxine (an SSRI) for about 5 years and coming of that was a total nightmare - I had the "brain zaps" for a couple of months after I stopped taking it, even though I weaned off it very slowly.

I'm glad that when I no longer need the bupropion, it will be an easier transition to come off it.

#30 mikeyshape

mikeyshape

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 03:51 PM

OMG i just have to tell you guys that I am SO relieved to have found this blog!! I have SEVERE depression and every year it has gotten harder to cope with it!! I've been on a constant search to find a medication that will help me to find a way to enjoy life! I just started taking Bupropion XL and i seriously thought i was going insane. now, keep in mind the reason that I started taking the drug was to aid in the fight against my depression, but i seriously thought i had completely lost my marbles around the start of taking this drug, and i didn't even know it was the drug that was making this happen. in the beginning, I thought it was just my brain malfunctioning because i had heard the Bupropion is the drug that acts quickly to relieve the symptoms of depression. Holy Sh*t what i went through was confusing lapses between reality and fantasy. I was sooo confused that I had no idea what was real and not real. Because of my lengthy depressive history, I've discovered that suicide is an expensive and time consuming alternative (sad) and so i thought that this mental state was going to be IT for the rest of my life. I thought i'd finally cracked. Until i found this blog and saw that other people were experiencing the same thing, I thought my life was hopeless.
I've lost all sense of time ever since i started this drug, i had to actually look at my prescription bottle to remember when it was that i got on this stuff. July 7th! it's the 18th today. I was told to increase my dose after a week to 300mg and have done that. I now get a headache every day, my head feels like it's going to explode, I have no energy, and am irritable as hell. my job requires me to be completely present, as i'm a hairstylist. LOL luckily i haven't hurt anyone with my sharp implements (joke). Anyway, it's so nice to hear that I'm not the only one going through this. SO NICE!! so it's only been a little less than two weeks since i got on this stuff and i still have a bit of disconnected vision, if i turn my eyes to look at something else it feels like there's a small electroshock sensation that jolts my brain a little, and i feel as a person that i'm disconnected. I really hope this goes away soon. I also have no interest in doing anything social, eating right, and feel slightly paranoid as if i've done something wrong and am going to get reprimanded by a teacher... I'm sooo sick of being depressed that I feel i should stick this out. It's just so hard to deal with these side effects when you have a job, and are trying to get your sh*t done! Also, even sitting down to my computer to write this note has been confusing. Respond if you'd like :)

#31 ebrass

ebrass

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:45 PM

I can agree because today is day 13 on generic wellbutrin and these side effects are begining to tick me off. Everyday I wake up I take 100mg in the morning and 100mg in the afternoon followed by .25 to .50mg of clonazepham for my anxiety. This really is a rollercoaster ride because one day the meds are ok and the next is miserable, and what is up with the dizziness felling all the time I feel completly spaced out sometimes and I would like to hope that this gets better soon because I can't live my life with the constant dizziness its just to much.

#32 Fenix03

Fenix03

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:34 PM

I've been taking Bupropion SR for 7 weeks and don't know what to do. I want to give it more time, because it's worked for me in the past. But I feel like total garbage.

Has anyone waited for more than 7 weeks and gotten good results??

#33 TroutMask

TroutMask

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 10:48 PM

I've been taking Bupropion SR for 7 weeks and don't know what to do. I want to give it more time, because it's worked for me in the past. But I feel like total garbage.

YES.

These medications take time, sometimes a long time. If it's worked for you in the past, I have to believe it will work again. Are you on the same dosage you were on previously? If WB worked for you previously, there's no way I'd ditch your trial. I have no medical basis to back this up, but perhaps since you used it before it will take you longer this time to become stable.

Hang in there. It's hard, I know. I'm on my fourth week and am currently in "post-honeymoon" phase and waiting for the full effects. But I'm already stable on Remeron, so I don't feel like total garbage as I am using WB as an add-on. Use these boards for support, and keep posting as much as you need to.

#34 Fenix03

Fenix03

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:28 AM

YES.

These medications take time, sometimes a long time. If it's worked for you in the past, I have to believe it will work again. Are you on the same dosage you were on previously? If WB worked for you previously, there's no way I'd ditch your trial. I have no medical basis to back this up, but perhaps since you used it before it will take you longer this time to become stable.

Hang in there. It's hard, I know. I'm on my fourth week and am currently in "post-honeymoon" phase and waiting for the full effects. But I'm already stable on Remeron, so I don't feel like total garbage as I am using WB as an add-on. Use these boards for support, and keep posting as much as you need to.

Awesome, I'll give it some more time.. I never remembered how s***ty the start up was first time around.

#35 dysth05

dysth05

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 06:06 AM

YES.

Awesome, I'll give it some more time.. I never remembered how s***ty the start up was first time around.

Hi,

I have been on SSRIs for almost 7-8 years now. Do not know if they really helped me. I figured out that I have Dysthymia recently as I have been on this depressed state since I dont know when. Am married for 3.5 years now. SSRIs are known to cause sexual dysfunction hence my Phsychitirst put me on Bupron (Welbutrin) as I told him that we wish to have a kid now. Have been on wellbutirn for 7 weeks now. But man this medicine has literally given me nightmares. My mood suddenly plunged after two weeks. Do not now when was the last time I felt so down. Everyday I think of giving up this medicine as the depression has really become unbearbble. But at the same time I do not wish to give it up so easily. Have read in this forum that you should wait atleast for min eight weeks before you consider changing your med. Also it has helped me on two aspects: reduced my smoking considerably and libido is up. In the last seven weeks , havent felt good anytime. In the morning the anxiety is so high that I just dread getting up in the morning for office. Will be going abroad in 10 days time , but if this med doesnt start kicking by that time. I will have serious trouble with such low mood. Will have to make presentations as this is a business trip. Feel so helpless, as am not sure if this med is for me or not???? Has anybody gone through a similar phase. Please suggest. Should i wait or quit this med for good now.

#36 Trace

Trace

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52,085 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 06:13 AM

Hi and Welcome Dysh05

You may want to wait another week and if you are still feeling this way, go back to the doc. I am not a professional, but an increased dosage may help, which you would have to discuss with your doc.

Trace
Listen in deep silence. Be very still and open your mind.... Sink deep into the peace that waits for you beyond the frantic, riotous thoughts and sights and sounds of this insane world. - A course of miracles.

True beauty must come, must be grown, from within.... - Ralph W Trine.

Posted Image

#37 Rosebee

Rosebee

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 10:21 AM

Hi,

I have been on SSRIs for almost 7-8 years now. Do not know if they really helped me. I figured out that I have Dysthymia recently as I have been on this depressed state since I dont know when. Am married for 3.5 years now. SSRIs are known to cause sexual dysfunction hence my Phsychitirst put me on Bupron (Welbutrin) as I told him that we wish to have a kid now. Have been on wellbutirn for 7 weeks now. But man this medicine has literally given me nightmares. My mood suddenly plunged after two weeks. Do not now when was the last time I felt so down. Everyday I think of giving up this medicine as the depression has really become unbearbble. But at the same time I do not wish to give it up so easily. Have read in this forum that you should wait atleast for min eight weeks before you consider changing your med. Also it has helped me on two aspects: reduced my smoking considerably and libido is up. In the last seven weeks , havent felt good anytime. In the morning the anxiety is so high that I just dread getting up in the morning for office. Will be going abroad in 10 days time , but if this med doesnt start kicking by that time. I will have serious trouble with such low mood. Will have to make presentations as this is a business trip. Feel so helpless, as am not sure if this med is for me or not???? Has anybody gone through a similar phase. Please suggest. Should i wait or quit this med for good now.

Wellbutrin never worked for me. I got awful insanely vivid nasty nightmares, mood swings, it made me overemotional, it was a mess. I waited for a full 6 weeks too, and the bad side effects never went away and I never felt any benefit from it. So I discontinued it.

Not every medication works for every person. Zoloft worked well for me, but caused sexual side effects (anorgasmia) that were enough for me to want to discontinue the medication.

I'm currently on Cymbalta. I LOVE it. No bad awful side effects (just a slight dry mouth and slight dizziness every now and then), no sexual side effects, and my depression's gone and I feel like myself again. It's my miracle drug. :)

If you've been on Wellbutrin for 7 weeks, and still have bad side effects, and no positive side effects I'd say it's time to go back to your pdoc and ask to try a different medication. FWIW, Cymbalta has a tendancy to cause sexual side effects in men, but not women.
MDD, Social Anxiety, Auditory Processing Disorder
Maybe ADHD (Adderall wasn't helping much so Dr & I stopped it)

My cocktail is:
Cymbalta 60mg
Trazodone 100mg

#38 Dave76

Dave76

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 10:25 PM

I have a question:

I have been on bupropion for somewhere between 10-14 weeks. Just a few weeks ago I caught a cold that only lasted a few days, but ever since then I have been feeling "Fuzzy headed". Almost like a sinus infection, but different.

It's almost like I have out-of-body experiences. Today I was having a very heated discussion with my mother, and while we were arguing - I felt "detached" - like I was watching myself from the outside - almost like I was on "auto-pilot"

It's just a really wierd feeling.

I've also been much more irratible within the last few weeks. I find myself "losing my cool" more often - almost more often then prior to starting my meds. When I first staterd, i felt absolutely great. I was feeling good, losing weight, and had tons of energy.....

.....NOW, i'm more lethargic, have my appetite back, and just feel in a haze.

IS THIS NORMAL?

Did anyone else have this type of experience?

and most importantly, DOES IT GO AWAY?

again, it might just be a result of the cold I am getting over, but I would like to hear if anyone else has experienced this

#39 John D

John D

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 12:49 PM

I was feeling good, losing weight, and had tons of energy.....

.....NOW, i'm more lethargic, have my appetite back, and just feel in a haze.

IS THIS NORMAL?

Did anyone else have this type of experience?

and most importantly, DOES IT GO AWAY?

Dave, I think most people probably experience some of what you're talking about. Many have that initial feeling of a lot of energy and just generally feeling better for a short bit, followed by a period where you're just as bad off as you were before you started WB (or even worse).

It's probably a good sign that you at least felt the initial benefits. People that get long term benefits from WB usually go through a period like you're going through now, and then when the good feelings return, they're not as pronounced as when you first started, but just consistently good (so I've read).
  • Trishyg likes this

#40 sewmo

sewmo

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 09:21 PM

Hi everyone,
This is my first time posting so please bear with me. This is the only forum i've found that is addressing what is happening to me.

About 15 years ago I suffered with a severe bout of depression. I was on Prozac(went partially blind in one eye), and many other AD's. I finally got better and was able to stop my meds. Now everything is in my life is falling apart and i don't see any hope for the future. My mom just died and we are losing everything we own. So here i am again so depressed I don't know what to do. I just started generic Bupropion 6 days ago to try to help. The first day i took 2 doses and did not sleep a wink that night and felt like I was insane. My doc said to just take 1 for awhile until it get used to it. I guess i should be taking it in the morning but I have been waiting until mid afternoon. I'm having a really hard time sleeping because my heart is beating so fast it feels like it will come right out of my chest not to mention it beats hard all day as well. I have been very unfocused and confused all week. I just want to climb out of my skin. i don't want to be around anyone at all. I just feel like I am obsessing all the time on how weird I feel. I also have so much anxiety that I panic as soon as I wake up in the morning. I have taken Xanax a few times this week but I am so afraid it take it too much. It is so hard to put into words how difficult this is. My Dr. says to stick with it but I have to know that these feelings will go away soon. I feel even worse than I did before I started. Any advise would be appreciated.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)