Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Has Anyone Added Abilify To Their Antidepressant With Success?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Robert123

Robert123

• PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 09:04 PM

Hi to all, I recently found out that Abilify has been approved by the FDA as an add on to enhance the response to antidepressants in patients with treatment-resistant major depression. I would like to know if anyone has added abilify to their SSRI's SNRI's etc with success or know people that have?Your help will be appreciated.
  • Gamexland likes this

#2 starr

starr

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:50 AM

Hi,

I am taking abilify along with my prozac for my depression/anxiety and it has
been a lifesaver for me. I am only on 5mg but it seems to do the trick. I tried
coming off of it and my symptons returned. So far this is one of the best meds
I have ever tried (and Ive tried several over the last 20 years).

I hope it works for you,

starr

#3 Neo

Neo

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:30 PM

I'd be interested to some experiences as well. My doc wants me to give it a try. I'm med resistant!

Starr, did you find it to give you energy or more motivation?
I thought because it is an AP (I could be wrong about that too), that it would be sedating.
Does it help with anxiety too?
Posted ImagePosted Image

Aka: RS

#4 starr

starr

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 10:30 AM

Hi,

I take my abilify at night and it doesnt keep me up. It is definitely worth a tryif you are med
resistant. It has been a wonder drug for me.

best wishes,
starr

#5 Robert123

Robert123

• PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 10:11 PM

Hi,

I take my abilify at night and it doesnt keep me up. It is definitely worth a tryif you are med
resistant. It has been a wonder drug for me.

best wishes,
starr

Hi starr,

Thanks 4 the reply. I'll look into it. I have read some good and many bad about abilify as a add on.

best wishes,
rob

Edited by Robert123, 07 December 2008 - 10:13 PM.

#6 kevinSF

kevinSF

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 04:54 PM

Hi Starr,

I have had bouts of depression, and extreme anxiety. sometimes I feel like I am going to do something crazy. I have been on Paxil and Xanax. I have upped the Xanax lately to help. My doc just gave me Abilify to add to the mix. Did you have similar problems, and how are doing on it?

#7 starr

starr

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 12:28 PM

Hi,

My pdoc originally gave me abilify to help with anxiety and ti turned out to
help with my depression too. It really has been a lifesaver for me. I am also
on prozac and wellbutrin but I didnt really feel completely better until we added
the abilify to the mix.

Best wishes,
starr

#8 kevinSF

kevinSF

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 12:31 PM

Thanks Starr, seems like we have similar issues, I am going to try and stay on it. Can I ask what mg of Abilify you are on? He is starting me out at 5, which seems a little low....

I appreciate your help!

--Kevinsf

#9 starr

starr

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 02:39 PM

Hi again,

I am only on 5 mg of abilify but it seems to do the trick. Best
wisehs to you,

starr

#10 Guest_QueenAccountant_*

Guest_QueenAccountant_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2008 - 04:24 PM

I took Abilify for 3 weeks, and gained 25 pounds....not cool. It didn't really do anything for me.

#11 Todd182

Todd182

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 09:37 PM

Abilify 10mg combined with 100mg zoloft has been wonderful for me....I have tried all ssri's and until abilify none seemed to do the trick.
I feel more energetic and my depression and anxiety is virtually gone...let alone my mood swings. just wish it wasn't so expensive tho!!

#12 LoonATiK

LoonATiK

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 04:52 PM

i take 30mg of abilify in the morning. the only side effect i notice is a slight tremor, and that could also be blamed on wellbutrin, since both drugs have that side effect.
it was prescribed to augment my wellbutrin and lamictal. so, it is prescribed both as a boost to my AD and to my mood stabilizer.

so far, we've been very successful with it. i haven't had any major mood episodes since starting it. the worst has been a period where i missed a week of work due to depression, and that was cured when an abilify increase took effect. it really is amazing stuff for me.
Current cocktail: Abilify 30mg. Adderall XR 30mg, Lamictal 400mg, Wellbutrin 300mg, Lithium 1200mg

DX: BP1, ADHD, and PTSD

In tribute to my dad, BP1 suicide.

"She sits in a corner by the door...there must be more I can tell her. If she really wants me to help her, I'll do what I can to show her the way, and maybe one day I will free her. But I know, no one can see through her. Lisa, Lisa, sad Lisa, Lisa..."

-- Sad Lisa by Cat Stevens

#13 undertheblackclouds

undertheblackclouds

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 12:30 PM

Hasn't worked fr me and just makes me really restless.
No house is a home without a rabbit!

#14 kminor

kminor

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 02:38 PM

Hi to all, I recently found out that Abilify has been approved by the FDA as an add on to enhance the response to antidepressants in patients with treatment-resistant major depression. I would like to know if anyone has added abilify to their SSRI's SNRI's etc with success or know people that have?Your help will be appreciated.

Robert, I just started Abilify about 2 weeks ago (10mg at night with Cymbalta 90mg in the morning) and for me, it has been a godsend. I overdosed on 4/26 and was in a psych ward since then, just got out yesterday, and I can tell I'm back to my old self, as in how I was a few years ago, not just a few months ago. Even my family and parents/sister have noticed that I'm acting back like my normal self. I guess I'm still a newbie on this med, but so far it's definitely worth it. The only downside is that it's so expensive- my insurance copay is $80 for 30 pills (1 month supply.) Just remember, just because it works for some doesn't mean it will work for you. Some meds don't even touch me, but they will knock out everything on someone else. You just have to find the right combo of meds for you and your body. Good luck.
I suck and I need help, major help, hospitalization

#15 LoonATiK

LoonATiK

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 03:09 PM

for me, abilify does enhance the effects of WB. i couldn't take more WB because i got bad side effects, however when Abilify was added, there was a great improvement. that's just what happened to me and doesn't mean it will work for everyone.
Current cocktail: Abilify 30mg. Adderall XR 30mg, Lamictal 400mg, Wellbutrin 300mg, Lithium 1200mg

"She sits in a corner by the door...there must be more I can tell her. If she really wants me to help her, I'll do what I can to show her the way, and maybe one day I will free her. But I know, no one can see through her. Lisa, Lisa, sad Lisa, Lisa..."

#16 catwithgrniz

catwithgrniz

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 10:39 AM

I take 5-10mg Abilify and 60 mg Cymbalta nightly before I go to bed. It helps me sleep but I get a little groggy in the mornings. Other than that, it's great for me. The Cymbalta by itself wasn't doing the trick for me anymore, in fact it seemed like the depression had come back with a vengeance and I didn't know what else to do. My pdoc started me off with 10mg of Abilify and it made me sick to my stomach and gave me the cold sweats, so the next day I cut back to 5mg and seemed to do just fine with it. For the first time in months I actually got stuff done around the house and started going back to the gym a few times a week. I haven't gained any weight on either med, so that's a good thing. I do feel weird if I forget my dosage.

#17 name123

name123

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:17 PM

Added 2.5 mg of Abilify to my 300mg generic WB and 20 mg Adderall daily cocktail. Things work differently for all of us but I can truly say I don't remember feeling this good in years, if ever. Things that used to bother me or get me down generally just don't anymore. I don't get as angry or sad. For me, abilify is the med I've been looking for and I sincerely hope all of you find that mixture that works for you.

#18 LoonATiK

LoonATiK

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 05:20 PM

Added 2.5 mg of Abilify to my 300mg generic WB and 20 mg Adderall daily cocktail. Things work differently for all of us but I can truly say I don't remember feeling this good in years, if ever. Things that used to bother me or get me down generally just don't anymore. I don't get as angry or sad. For me, abilify is the med I've been looking for and I sincerely hope all of you find that mixture that works for you.

yes, in the lower doses, it's an adjunct to ADs. in the higher doses, it's a mood stabilizer and anti-psychotic, hence why i take so much :)

#19 Sovereign

Sovereign

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 12:29 AM

I started on 5mg and increased to 10mg, and I was taking it along with lamictal. I didn't get good results from it; at 5mg it wasn't doing anything and I was getting some very irritating akathisia at the 10mg dose. I was off of it a week later.

Some people have more luck than others, I suppose.

#20 Yosemite

Yosemite

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 09:18 PM

I have just been prescribed Abilify for my depression and was wondering if any-one just takes this stand alone for their depression ?

I have read a lot about it being augmented with an anti-depressant for best results, but I can not tolerate most anti-d's, so my doc has just suggested trialing Abilify on its own.

Has anyone had any luck just on Abilfy for their Depression symptoms ?

Thankyou for any advice.

rgds "worried " Yose

#21 faith_tx

faith_tx

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:38 AM

My husband has major depression and ADD and is on Zoloft, Ritalin, and Xanax. He has still been having suicidal thoughts (although not ever acting on them) and so his pdoc prescribed Abilify.

He took his 2mg at bedtime as she suggested and couldn't sleep. He went out and took a drive for awhile (which made me nervous being that this was his first dose and I needed to be sleeping) and ended up being awake until 5am. He's sleeping now.

At any rate, I'm wondering if he should switch it to taking it in the morning, which is when he takes his Zoloft.

Also, I'm guessing this is something normal that happens when first taking this drug?

The other thing is we had to pay a $399 copay!! Is it true that if a doctor writes a note saying other things haven't worked you can get it cheaper? That is just a LOT of money. I mean he's worth it but gosh that's a lot of money. I thought of also asking her to write it for a stronger dose and let him cut it up to make it cheaper.

#22 starr

starr

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 08:39 PM

That is expensive! I am on abilify too but so far my
insurance is paying for most of it. I take it at night
and it doesnt keep me up but everyone is different.
I take it along with prozac and wellbutrin and it has
made a world of difference for me. I would definitely
try it in the am if it is keeping him up at night - I
hope it works as well for him as it has for me.

best wishes,
starr

#23 justbreathe17

justbreathe17

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 01:45 PM

My husband has major depression and ADD and is on Zoloft, Ritalin, and Xanax. He has still been having suicidal thoughts (although not ever acting on them) and so his pdoc prescribed Abilify.

The other thing is we had to pay a $399 copay!! Is it true that if a doctor writes a note saying other things haven't worked you can get it cheaper? That is just a LOT of money. I mean he's worth it but gosh that's a lot of money. I thought of also asking her to write it for a stronger dose and let him cut it up to make it cheaper.

I don't have any insurance at all. My gp just added Abilify to my current ad, Paxil (60 mgs), for depression. I went to the pharm to buy a few days worth (dr gave me some samples) and it will be over $1000 for a month! :hearts: Needless to say, there is no way I can afford that (if I could, I would have insurance) so I'm hoping my pdoc will change my RX next week.

Everyone is crazy - some of us just get caught

#24 faith_tx

faith_tx

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 02:21 PM

Turns out they filed our insurance wrong. I am so glad I questioned it. For us it is now only $40 a month.

However, I'm not sure why yours would be $1,000 without insurance. They told me that without insurance at CVS the cost is around $500.

So far it seems to be helping my husband's mood. I notice that he jokes around a lot more and doesn't talk about such "depressing" things all the time. Which, by the way, helps my anxiety too. (although I'm also on medication recently so maybe me being more level helps his depression!! )

#25 jerdoggie

jerdoggie

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 12:56 PM

I have just been prescribed Abilify for my depression and was wondering if any-one just takes this stand alone for their depression ?

I have read a lot about it being augmented with an anti-depressant for best results, but I can not tolerate most anti-d's, so my doc has just suggested trialing Abilify on its own.

Has anyone had any luck just on Abilfy for their Depression symptoms ?

Thankyou for any advice.

rgds "worried " Yose

I started Abilify (5 mg) by itself about 2 months ago for depression. Was on Wellbutrin but it made my throat very dry and i kept getting sick. So far Abilify's been great--no depression symptoms. It makes me a little tired when I first take it, but that wears off after about an hour. In the beginning I was also restless after the tiredness wore off but that went away after a couple of weeks. I don't really know if it affects my sleep cos I've always had insomnia and still do. my doc prescribed Rozerem and then Restoril to help keep me asleep (my prob is waking up in the middle of the night--no prob getting to sleep) but they both make me extremely groggy the next day and don't help with the waking up. Well I gues that's enuf. hope it helps.

Edited by jerdoggie, 07 July 2009 - 01:03 PM.

#26 Robert123

Robert123

• PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 10:34 PM

I forgot about this post. I was thinking about getting on it but I read alot of bad review which made me not interested but I might give it a try. Since I'm noticing it has help. but the medication cost $500 for 30 days? That's real expensive. are there any other medications similar to abilify that cost less? Or Is there a FDA approved generic version?Thanks

Edited by Robert123, 26 July 2009 - 10:44 PM.

#27 enthusiast

enthusiast

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:10 PM

My doctor added 5mg of abilify to my zoloft, it made a substantial difference.

Side effects were noticeable the first few days but subsided rather quickly, i'm glad i stayed with it! The symptoms it seemed to help the most with were motivation, energy and anxiety. I thought it helped with sexual dysfunction too, but that could just be from the decrease in depression.

Give it a try it could make all the difference! :shocked:
Keep on keeping on!!!

#28 success

success

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 02:45 PM

Yes! After 12 years of trying different medications, I have found the answer with Abilify (30mg), Wellbutrin (200mg) and Ambien (10mg) at night. Although Wellbutrin is not recommended for those who are at risk for seizures, this combination of meds has made a huge difference for my resistant bipolar depression and sleep disorder. Abilify, with an anti-depressant, is a miracle drug for bipolar depression. My boyfriend is on Abilify (15mg) and Lexipro. He has also had success with this combination. Please do not give up on finding the right meds. Everyone is different, but it seems to work for almost anyone. Good luck!

#29 vgunderson1

vgunderson1

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:59 AM

My Psych. added 20mg Abilify as an "add-on" drug to my Viibryd for Major Depressive Disorder" and it worked moderately for about two weeks then it suddenly had no affect on me anymore. So, now she's added Seroquel XR to my Viibryd and it's made a huge positive improvement in my day to day life. I was very disappointed in Abilify. 

~Good2BeHappy~  

#30 GoingToMakeIt

GoingToMakeIt

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:40 PM

I have been struggling with treatment-resistant depressive episodes for 12 years. I am on 30mg Paxil and have been on a starting dose of 2mg Abilify (for 2 weeks now). I have found an almost immediate improvement in symptoms upon taking the Abilify but most recently have experienced another dip for the last few days. I will be following up with my psychiatrist to draw some conclusions from this, but do hope that Abilify could be helpful in the long run, as it has been for others here. Best of luck to everyone.

#31 Nibs

Nibs

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:03 PM

I've been taking 5 mg added on to my 30mg of prozac for about 3 weeks and have finally begun feeling like my depression is lifting. I'm still having problems with motivation and concentration but it's amazing that the depression is getting better! 

#32 ska123

ska123

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:50 PM

I just started Abilify a week ago as an add on to my lexapro.  My pdoc started me at 5, but we just reduced it to 2.5 (half a pill) because I was suffering side effects like restlessness and anxiety as well as a really dry mouth.  I feel like my thoughts have gotten a little less negative, and overall I feel a bit better.  I'm hoping that it improves more when I'm on it longer.  

#33 Dragonwings

Dragonwings

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:21 PM

Just wanted to say that I'm on 5mg of Abilify and it's amazing for me. Without it I go back to being depressed. It really helps my other two drugs (Wellbutrin and Lexapro) work better. I don't want to think of what I'd do without it. I just wish it wasn't so expensive at the beginning of the year. Once I've met the insurance cap, it goes down to about $45 for a 30 day supply. Not too bad really.

ska123, I hope it continues to work for you. :)

"I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
Death thought about it.
"Cats," he said eventually. "Cats are nice."
- Terry Pratchett, Sourcery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users