• Announcements

• Lindsay

National Mental Health Awareness Month, 2016   05/01/2016

Proclamation 9433 of April 28, 2016 National Mental Health Awareness Month, 2016 A Proclamation Nearly 44 million American adults, and millions of children, experience mental health conditions each year, including depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and post-traumatic stress. Although we have made progress expanding mental health coverage and elevating the conversation about mental health, too many people still do not get the help they need. Our Nation is founded on the belief that we must look out for one another—and whether it affects our family members, friends, co-workers, or those unknown to us—we do a service for each other when we reach out and help those struggling with mental health issues. This month, we renew our commitment to ridding our society of the stigma associated with mental illness, encourage those living with mental health conditions to get the help they need, and reaffirm our pledge to ensure those who need help have access to the support, acceptance, and resources they deserve. In the last 7 years, our country has made extraordinary progress in expanding mental health coverage for more people across America. The Affordable Care Act prohibits insurance companies from discriminating against people based on pre-existing conditions, requires coverage of mental health and substance use disorder services in individual and small group markets, and expands mental health and substance use disorder parity policies, which are estimated to help more than 60 million Americans. Nearly 15 million more Americans have gained Medicaid coverage since October 2013, significantly improving access to mental health care. And because of more than $100 million in funding from the Affordable Care Act, community health centers have expanded behavioral health services for nearly 900,000 people nationwide over the past 2 years. Still, far too few Americans experiencing mental illnesses do not receive the care and treatment they need. That is why my most recent Budget proposal includes a new half-billion dollar investment to improve access to mental health care, engage individuals with serious mental illness in care, and help ensure behavioral health care systems work for everyone. Our Nation has made strong advances in improving prevention, increasing early intervention, and expanding treatment of mental illnesses. Earlier this year, I established a Mental Health and Substance Use Disorder Parity Task Force, which aims to ensure that coverage for mental health benefits is comparable to coverage for medical and surgical care, improve understanding of the requirements of the law, and expand compliance with it. Mental health should be treated as part of a person's overall health, and we must ensure individuals living with mental health conditions can get the treatment they need. My Administration also continues to invest in science and research through the BRAIN initiative to enhance our understanding of the complexities of the human brain and to make it easier to diagnose and treat mental health disorders early. One of our most profound obligations as a Nation is to support the men and women in uniform who return home and continue fighting battles against mental illness. Last year, I signed the Clay Hunt SAV Act, which fills critical gaps in serving veterans with post-traumatic stress and other illnesses, increases peer support and outreach, and recruits more talented individuals to work on mental health issues at the Department of Veterans Affairs. This law will make it easier for veterans to get the care they need when they need it. All Americans, including service members, can get immediate assistance by calling the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK or by calling 1-800-662-HELP. During National Mental Health Awareness Month, we recognize those Americans who live with mental illness and substance use disorders, and we pledge solidarity with their families who need our support as well. Let us strive to ensure people living with mental health conditions know that they are not alone, that hope exists, and that the possibility of healing and thriving is real. Together, we can help everyone get the support they need to recover as they continue along the journey to get well. NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim May 2016 as National Mental Health Awareness Month. I call upon citizens, government agencies, organizations, health care providers, and research institutions to raise mental health awareness and continue helping Americans live longer, healthier lives. IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this twenty-eighth day of April, in the year of our Lord two thousand sixteen, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and fortieth.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Robert123

Has Anyone Added Abilify To Their Antidepressant With Success?

33 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi to all, I recently found out that Abilify has been approved by the FDA as an add on to enhance the response to antidepressants in patients with treatment-resistant major depression. I would like to know if anyone has added abilify to their SSRI's SNRI's etc with success or know people that have?Your help will be appreciated.

Gamexland likes this

You might also be interested in:

Posted

Hi,

I am taking abilify along with my prozac for my depression/anxiety and it has

been a lifesaver for me. I am only on 5mg but it seems to do the trick. I tried

coming off of it and my symptons returned. So far this is one of the best meds

I have ever tried (and Ive tried several over the last 20 years).

I hope it works for you,

starr

Posted

I'd be interested to some experiences as well. My doc wants me to give it a try. I'm med resistant!

Starr, did you find it to give you energy or more motivation?

I thought because it is an AP (I could be wrong about that too), that it would be sedating.

Does it help with anxiety too?

Posted

Hi,

I take my abilify at night and it doesnt keep me up. It is definitely worth a tryif you are med

resistant. It has been a wonder drug for me.

best wishes,

starr

Posted (edited)

Hi,

I take my abilify at night and it doesnt keep me up. It is definitely worth a tryif you are med

resistant. It has been a wonder drug for me.

best wishes,

starr

Hi starr,

Thanks 4 the reply. I'll look into it. I have read some good and many bad about abilify as a add on.

best wishes,

rob

Edited by Robert123

Posted

Hi Starr,

I have had bouts of depression, and extreme anxiety. sometimes I feel like I am going to do something crazy. I have been on Paxil and Xanax. I have upped the Xanax lately to help. My doc just gave me Abilify to add to the mix. Did you have similar problems, and how are doing on it?

Posted

Hi,

My pdoc originally gave me abilify to help with anxiety and ti turned out to

help with my depression too. It really has been a lifesaver for me. I am also

on prozac and wellbutrin but I didnt really feel completely better until we added

the abilify to the mix.

Best wishes,

starr

Posted

Thanks Starr, seems like we have similar issues, I am going to try and stay on it. Can I ask what mg of Abilify you are on? He is starting me out at 5, which seems a little low....

I appreciate your help!

--Kevinsf

Posted

Hi again,

I am only on 5 mg of abilify but it seems to do the trick. Best

wisehs to you,

starr

Posted

I took Abilify for 3 weeks, and gained 25 pounds....not cool. It didn't really do anything for me.

Posted

Abilify 10mg combined with 100mg zoloft has been wonderful for me....I have tried all ssri's and until abilify none seemed to do the trick.

I feel more energetic and my depression and anxiety is virtually gone...let alone my mood swings. just wish it wasn't so expensive tho!!

Posted

i take 30mg of abilify in the morning. the only side effect i notice is a slight tremor, and that could also be blamed on wellbutrin, since both drugs have that side effect.

it was prescribed to augment my wellbutrin and lamictal. so, it is prescribed both as a boost to my AD and to my mood stabilizer.

so far, we've been very successful with it. i haven't had any major mood episodes since starting it. the worst has been a period where i missed a week of work due to depression, and that was cured when an abilify increase took effect. it really is amazing stuff for me.

Posted

Hasn't worked fr me and just makes me really restless.

Posted

Hi to all, I recently found out that Abilify has been approved by the FDA as an add on to enhance the response to antidepressants in patients with treatment-resistant major depression. I would like to know if anyone has added abilify to their SSRI's SNRI's etc with success or know people that have?Your help will be appreciated.

Robert, I just started Abilify about 2 weeks ago (10mg at night with Cymbalta 90mg in the morning) and for me, it has been a godsend. I overdosed on 4/26 and was in a psych ward since then, just got out yesterday, and I can tell I'm back to my old self, as in how I was a few years ago, not just a few months ago. Even my family and parents/sister have noticed that I'm acting back like my normal self. I guess I'm still a newbie on this med, but so far it's definitely worth it. The only downside is that it's so expensive- my insurance copay is $80 for 30 pills (1 month supply.) Just remember, just because it works for some doesn't mean it will work for you. Some meds don't even touch me, but they will knock out everything on someone else. You just have to find the right combo of meds for you and your body. Good luck.

Posted

for me, abilify does enhance the effects of WB. i couldn't take more WB because i got bad side effects, however when Abilify was added, there was a great improvement. that's just what happened to me and doesn't mean it will work for everyone.

Posted

I take 5-10mg Abilify and 60 mg Cymbalta nightly before I go to bed. It helps me sleep but I get a little groggy in the mornings. Other than that, it's great for me. The Cymbalta by itself wasn't doing the trick for me anymore, in fact it seemed like the depression had come back with a vengeance and I didn't know what else to do. My pdoc started me off with 10mg of Abilify and it made me sick to my stomach and gave me the cold sweats, so the next day I cut back to 5mg and seemed to do just fine with it. For the first time in months I actually got stuff done around the house and started going back to the gym a few times a week. I haven't gained any weight on either med, so that's a good thing. I do feel weird if I forget my dosage.

Posted

Added 2.5 mg of Abilify to my 300mg generic WB and 20 mg Adderall daily cocktail. Things work differently for all of us but I can truly say I don't remember feeling this good in years, if ever. Things that used to bother me or get me down generally just don't anymore. I don't get as angry or sad. For me, abilify is the med I've been looking for and I sincerely hope all of you find that mixture that works for you.

Posted

Added 2.5 mg of Abilify to my 300mg generic WB and 20 mg Adderall daily cocktail. Things work differently for all of us but I can truly say I don't remember feeling this good in years, if ever. Things that used to bother me or get me down generally just don't anymore. I don't get as angry or sad. For me, abilify is the med I've been looking for and I sincerely hope all of you find that mixture that works for you.

yes, in the lower doses, it's an adjunct to ADs. in the higher doses, it's a mood stabilizer and anti-psychotic, hence why i take so much :)

Posted

I started on 5mg and increased to 10mg, and I was taking it along with lamictal. I didn't get good results from it; at 5mg it wasn't doing anything and I was getting some very irritating akathisia at the 10mg dose. I was off of it a week later.

Some people have more luck than others, I suppose.

Posted

I have just been prescribed Abilify for my depression and was wondering if any-one just takes this stand alone for their depression ?

I have read a lot about it being augmented with an anti-depressant for best results, but I can not tolerate most anti-d's, so my doc has just suggested trialing Abilify on its own.

Has anyone had any luck just on Abilfy for their Depression symptoms ?

Thankyou for any advice.

rgds "worried " Yose

Posted

My husband has major depression and ADD and is on Zoloft, Ritalin, and Xanax. He has still been having suicidal thoughts (although not ever acting on them) and so his pdoc prescribed Abilify.

He took his 2mg at bedtime as she suggested and couldn't sleep. He went out and took a drive for awhile (which made me nervous being that this was his first dose and I needed to be sleeping) and ended up being awake until 5am. He's sleeping now.

At any rate, I'm wondering if he should switch it to taking it in the morning, which is when he takes his Zoloft.

Also, I'm guessing this is something normal that happens when first taking this drug?

The other thing is we had to pay a $399 copay!! Is it true that if a doctor writes a note saying other things haven't worked you can get it cheaper? That is just a LOT of money. I mean he's worth it but gosh that's a lot of money. I thought of also asking her to write it for a stronger dose and let him cut it up to make it cheaper.

Posted

That is expensive! I am on abilify too but so far my

insurance is paying for most of it. I take it at night

and it doesnt keep me up but everyone is different.

I take it along with prozac and wellbutrin and it has

made a world of difference for me. I would definitely

try it in the am if it is keeping him up at night - I

hope it works as well for him as it has for me.

best wishes,

starr

Posted

My husband has major depression and ADD and is on Zoloft, Ritalin, and Xanax. He has still been having suicidal thoughts (although not ever acting on them) and so his pdoc prescribed Abilify.

The other thing is we had to pay a $399 copay!! Is it true that if a doctor writes a note saying other things haven't worked you can get it cheaper? That is just a LOT of money. I mean he's worth it but gosh that's a lot of money. I thought of also asking her to write it for a stronger dose and let him cut it up to make it cheaper.

I don't have any insurance at all. My gp just added Abilify to my current ad, Paxil (60 mgs), for depression. I went to the pharm to buy a few days worth (dr gave me some samples) and it will be over $1000 for a month! :hearts: Needless to say, there is no way I can afford that (if I could, I would have insurance) so I'm hoping my pdoc will change my RX next week.

Posted

Turns out they filed our insurance wrong. I am so glad I questioned it. For us it is now only $40 a month.

However, I'm not sure why yours would be $1,000 without insurance. They told me that without insurance at CVS the cost is around $500.

So far it seems to be helping my husband's mood. I notice that he jokes around a lot more and doesn't talk about such "depressing" things all the time. Which, by the way, helps my anxiety too. (although I'm also on medication recently so maybe me being more level helps his depression!! )

Posted (edited)

I have just been prescribed Abilify for my depression and was wondering if any-one just takes this stand alone for their depression ?

I have read a lot about it being augmented with an anti-depressant for best results, but I can not tolerate most anti-d's, so my doc has just suggested trialing Abilify on its own.

Has anyone had any luck just on Abilfy for their Depression symptoms ?

Thankyou for any advice.

rgds "worried " Yose

I started Abilify (5 mg) by itself about 2 months ago for depression. Was on Wellbutrin but it made my throat very dry and i kept getting sick. So far Abilify's been great--no depression symptoms. It makes me a little tired when I first take it, but that wears off after about an hour. In the beginning I was also restless after the tiredness wore off but that went away after a couple of weeks. I don't really know if it affects my sleep cos I've always had insomnia and still do. my doc prescribed Rozerem and then Restoril to help keep me asleep (my prob is waking up in the middle of the night--no prob getting to sleep) but they both make me extremely groggy the next day and don't help with the waking up. Well I gues that's enuf. hope it helps.

Edited by jerdoggie