Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

First Week On Citalopram - Getting Panic Attacks

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jasmine211

Jasmine211

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 11:28 AM

Hello,

I've been suffering from Chronic 24/7 dizziness and regular flu like symptoms for just over a year now. I've had all the usual tests to see if something is wrong with my ears plus an MRI but everything has come back normal. In that time I've become increasingly frustrated and depressed at the lack of life I lead and so on my recent visit to the Doctor I asked for something for anxiety to see if the dizziness was being caused by stress all along despite being in a happy place when this all started. I was given Citalopram which I've started on Friday (10mg). Since then I've been so tense, anxious, waking up every night in the midst of what feels like panic attacks. I have just gone out to get some fresh air and could feel my chest tightening it felt like I was about to have a panic attack the entire time I was out. I've never suffered from panic attacks in my life so this is truly scary. The worst thing is, it has increased my dizziness 10 fold - the one thing I was hoping might be helped by this drug.

Now I don't want to give up cos I've seen so many stories online of people having hellish first weeks with this drug only for it to kick in and really help them. I just want to know if people have suffered with increased anxiety or symptoms such as panic attacks for the first week and if these eased? I tried speaking to a doctor about this but was told there are no side effects associated with Citalopram and that it's "all in my head" - I couldn't believe her attitude.

Thanks for reading.

#2 JamesMo

JamesMo

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 12:19 PM

Everytime I read someone else's experiences with anxiety and lex/citalopram, I'm amazed at how similar some of us are! Jasmine - I've suffered from the same thing for a couple years now. I don't have 24/7 dizziness, but I definitely have "dizzy spells". As an example: I'll be out somewhere, and be in a particular situation, and all of a sudden if I move my head too quickly, or turnaround, or something like that, I get really lightheaded.

I've been on Lexapro now for a few months, and have been seeing a therapist, and we've come to the conclusion that much of my dizziness is related to stress/anxiety, and some of it is related to allergies. The more of a stressful situation I am in, the more I'm dizzy. It's very frustrating. The other thing is the Lexapro has not cured it completely. I definitely feel better in general, but I do have bad days.

When I first started Lexapro, I had several anxiety attacks and the dizziness was worse. It slowly got better, however, so at least you can look forward to that. The other thing is that if your dizziness and anxiety has increased while on Citalopram, there is a good chance that your original dizziness is related to anxiety/stress. I'm not a doctor, but it certainly sounds like they are connected.

Please keep us updated on how you feel!

-James

#3 Guest_Giz_*

Guest_Giz_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2008 - 12:46 PM

Dizziness and feeling "unreal" can come from nutritional problems..(as can hearing your own voice in your head and some hallucinations) this is because 20% of calorie intake is for the brain, and the majority of nutrients are required by the brain for proper function. Modern diets have led to the decline in nutrient intake from food, and so the numbers of people taking psychiatric drugs who may not need to be has risen exponentially..
Why? Well, did your doc ask you about your diet?

Its not your docs fault, theyre taught to treat the symptoms you present with with the drug, but if your problem is nutritional then what use is the citalopram?

Search for my post Nutrtion and Mental Health. Do the questionnaires, and whatever you score over 5 in let me know. I can tell you how to tackle it.

I used to get the dizzy spells, and a weird dejavu stomach flipping feeling, and anxiety and panic attacks and the voiceover and the depression, and mania..
MY DIET WAS THE CAUSE
Changed my diet-no need for any drugs anymore..And Ive been bi polar for as long as I can remember..My mother just knew nothing about nutrition(didnt even know what protein was) not her fault, her education was minimal..
Now that Ive studied nutrition I can see where it all went horribly wrong.. And Ive started to put it right..

No more anxiety, no more depression for no reason, no more unwarranted anxiety and no more mania.. All from improving my diet.. So give it a go.. Because it sounds like so far that drug has only brought negatives.
The only side effect to a healthy diet is HEALTH!!
Heres to yours.

#4 Silver_wlf

Silver_wlf

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 07:32 PM

Hi!

The first couple days that I took it I was really anxious - but I don't know if that's because of my experience with another AD or not?? (I had a terrible experience with another med.) After the first couple days I only had nausea, dizziness and sleepiness. It took over a week for those to go away - and another month for the dizzy-after-standing-up one to go.

It's worked WONDERS for me - but if after the normal side-effect time you're still feeling anxious talk to your doctor. Maybe it's not the right one for you.

#5 Guest_Giz_*

Guest_Giz_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2008 - 08:08 PM

Feeling dizzy standing up is due to a drop in blood pressure.. It can be attributed to blood sugar levels dropping.. And can be attributed to a diet high in refined sugars, and "white" food..
I think it could be an iron problem and a chromium deficiency.. If you get dizzy or irritable after 6 hours without food-its chromium..if the inner part of your eye lid on the bottom is not quite a rich red then its probably iron..

Remember.. The side effects could be side effects, but if its either of these things then you need more green leafy veg, wholegrains and mushrooms!!
Always a good thing to have in the diet anyway..So try increasing them..
If you consider supplementing please use natural source supplements and not ones made by a pharmaceutical company(which will be synthetic and probably contain sweeteners) best way to figure it out is to check that the vitamin E used is D-ALPHA-TOCOPHEROL if it is not that EXACTLY then dont buy it.

Minerals and vitamins should never be supplemented alone-they are synergistic, as in-they work together-not alone.. The exception to this is B complex multis and vitamin C.

#6 flowergal

flowergal

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 01:38 AM

I got really bad panic attacks during the first few weeks. Not everyday, but enough to make me want to stop the drugs. But I rode them out and took ativan, and they eventually went away completely!!! I haven't had one in about 10 months!!!! Some people are very sensitive to meds, but remember, the side effects do go away!!

#7 Eve11

Eve11

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 08:02 PM

Dizziness and feeling "unreal" can come from nutritional problems..(as can hearing your own voice in your head and some hallucinations) this is because 20% of calorie intake is for the brain, and the majority of nutrients are required by the brain for proper function. Modern diets have led to the decline in nutrient intake from food, and so the numbers of people taking psychiatric drugs who may not need to be has risen exponentially..

Its not your docs fault, theyre taught to treat the symptoms you present with with the drug, but if your problem is nutritional then what use is the citalopram?

Search for my post Nutrtion and Mental Health. Do the questionnaires, and whatever you score over 5 in let me know. I can tell you how to tackle it.

I used to get the dizzy spells, and a weird dejavu stomach flipping feeling, and anxiety and panic attacks and the voiceover and the depression, and mania..
MY DIET WAS THE CAUSE
Changed my diet-no need for any drugs anymore..And Ive been bi polar for as long as I can remember..My mother just knew nothing about nutrition(didnt even know what protein was) not her fault, her education was minimal..
Now that Ive studied nutrition I can see where it all went horribly wrong.. And Ive started to put it right..

No more anxiety, no more depression for no reason, no more unwarranted anxiety and no more mania.. All from improving my diet.. So give it a go.. Because it sounds like so far that drug has only brought negatives.
Heres to yours.

#8 Eve11

Eve11

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 08:04 PM

MY DIET WAS THE CAUSE

Heres to yours.

What type of diet are you on please?

#9 ameslaw84

ameslaw84

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 01:04 AM

Hello,

I've been suffering from Chronic 24/7 dizziness and regular flu like symptoms for just over a year now. I've had all the usual tests to see if something is wrong with my ears plus an MRI but everything has come back normal. In that time I've become increasingly frustrated and depressed at the lack of life I lead and so on my recent visit to the Doctor I asked for something for anxiety to see if the dizziness was being caused by stress all along despite being in a happy place when this all started. I was given Citalopram which I've started on Friday (10mg). Since then I've been so tense, anxious, waking up every night in the midst of what feels like panic attacks. I have just gone out to get some fresh air and could feel my chest tightening it felt like I was about to have a panic attack the entire time I was out. I've never suffered from panic attacks in my life so this is truly scary. The worst thing is, it has increased my dizziness 10 fold - the one thing I was hoping might be helped by this drug.

Now I don't want to give up cos I've seen so many stories online of people having hellish first weeks with this drug only for it to kick in and really help them. I just want to know if people have suffered with increased anxiety or symptoms such as panic attacks for the first week and if these eased? I tried speaking to a doctor about this but was told there are no side effects associated with Citalopram and that it's "all in my head" - I couldn't believe her attitude.

Thanks for reading.

Hi there Jasmine!

I started Citalopram 3 weeks ago, also 10mg. I was having severe anxiety every minute of the day and panic attacks a few times a week, before I started. When I started Citalopram I knew what to expect, increased anxiety and panic attacks. Everything definitely increased. I had a panic attack in the bathroom one night! I woke up, walked in there, started feeling faint and like I wasn't there. I ran back to the bed and layed down and drank a ton of water. It was horrible and I still have trouble feeling safe in the bathroom, but that is getting much better. This happened in the first week of taking the medicine. By the 10th day I started feeling a difference. I still felt anxious, but not nearly as bad. Today I can say I am not having constant anxiety anymore. I am not dizzy and I can function again. I have cut out all caffeine, I noticed whenever I drank even a little my anxiety came on again. I also started a Super B Complex vitamin which I think has helped tremendously too. I know I will still have bouts of anxiety and do at times, but it is so much better already. I also have a fear of leaving the house due to my panic disorder and hope to start working on that this coming week since I seem to be doing good at home.

Just keep with it and it will get better. We all react differently, but you should start seeing a change soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users