Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Should I Add Abilify?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Leonine

Leonine

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:28 PM

Hi forum. I've been on Cymbalta 60 mg for about a year, and I've found that it's helped some, but I still have symptoms. I was prescribed Cymbalta as a general panacea for MDD/PTSD/rheumatoid arthritis. The symptoms that still bother me are extreme fatigue, nightmares, excessive sleeping (16 hours a day) and lack of interest in things I used to enjoy. It's not the self-destructive kind of depression anymore, it's just the numb - and it's interfering with my ability to keep up with work. Does anyone use Cymbalta in conjunction with Abilify? Does it help? What side effects do you experience? Does it sound like it would help me?

#2 kellypk

kellypk

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 10:32 AM

I would really like to know that answer to that too. I have been on Cymbalta since June and it has really helped with my depression. Although now I am really tired and could sleep all day long it seems. :hearts: I also have the nightmares and really freaky dreams at night. If I could get rid of those 2 side effects it would be great!!! :flowers: But it does seem like I still have some feeling down times all though they are not all the time.

Kelly

Hi forum. I've been on Cymbalta 60 mg for about a year, and I've found that it's helped some, but I still have symptoms. I was prescribed Cymbalta as a general panacea for MDD/PTSD/rheumatoid arthritis. The symptoms that still bother me are extreme fatigue, nightmares, excessive sleeping (16 hours a day) and lack of interest in things I used to enjoy. It's not the self-destructive kind of depression anymore, it's just the numb - and it's interfering with my ability to keep up with work. Does anyone use Cymbalta in conjunction with Abilify? Does it help? What side effects do you experience? Does it sound like it would help me?

#3 silent_enigma

silent_enigma

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 11:46 AM

Your doc may know. Give him/her a call. It can't hurt.

#4 JackD

JackD

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 02:58 PM

Abilify is a very strong drug. It is one of the strongest drugs that are given to humans (anti-psychotic drugs). I suggest you take a look at the book, "Your Drug May Be Your Problem" by Dr. Peter Breggin and read about anti-psychotic drugs (go to amazon or books.google.com and you can read excerpts of it). They can be very dangerous, and sometimes fatal. Just know if you choose to go on it, you will become VERY subservient, and will pretty much do what anyone says. At least that was my father's experience on it. It was also his experience when he was taking Risperdal, which is in the same drug classification. Those types of drugs can also cause permanent twitching.

I am not a doctor. Just giving advice based on what I have read and my father's experience. I wish you all the best.

By the way, they say if you are depressed, it is because you are not being EXpressed, meaning you are not involved in your passion and expressing yourself. Just a thought.

#5 amberjade

amberjade

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 08:32 PM

Abilify is a very strong drug. It is one of the strongest drugs that are given to humans (anti-psychotic drugs). I suggest you take a look at the book, "Your Drug May Be Your Problem" by Dr. Peter Breggin and read about anti-psychotic drugs (go to amazon or books.google.com and you can read excerpts of it). They can be very dangerous, and sometimes fatal. Just know if you choose to go on it, you will become VERY subservient, and will pretty much do what anyone says. At least that was my father's experience on it. It was also his experience when he was taking Risperdal, which is in the same drug classification. Those types of drugs can also cause permanent twitching.

I am not a doctor. Just giving advice based on what I have read and my father's experience. I wish you all the best.

By the way, they say if you are depressed, it is because you are not being EXpressed, meaning you are not involved in your passion and expressing yourself. Just a thought.

i have replaced cymbalta with high dose of effexor plus i take topomax, i have had lithium in recent months. my doc has prob with me refusing drugs that make u gain weight, he wanted to try a combo called rocket fuel but i read u put on tons of weight and aswell as bipolor with long periods of depression i have eatinf disorder...i am 5'3'' and size 8 and have lost weight on my meds...alot to do with topomax and high doses of tramadol and diflocenic due to horse riding fall over 2 yrs ago, i even lost weight on lithium!! He now wants to put me on abilify in few weeks time after a hernia op. I can and do sleep all day, i get nothing done, bags of un opened letters, bills, calls not made my life is last minute.com lol and i hate the chaos of my mind, only time i get stuff done is when im manic but drugs are stopping these as much as b4 and i miss them. i hate the weird dreams and nite terrors and the fact i cant answer phone cos of my debt inc main bills on home which stupid thing i could sort them.If this drug not help wot next? i wanted and doc promised me ect but keeps backing out. i been on abilifys websites and it scared me as so so strong, there was a forum and it was half and half as to people hating it...weight gain, could not sleep though really tired at nite....this me to ( take valium, temazepan and was taking seroquel to help at nite) but others it really helped, more focused, got things done, more daytime energy etc so i guess we just have to take a breathe and give it a go though i dread telling my doc as he says i dictate my meds cos of my weight but hey i have a prob. i just want more energy wot will give me that? Will start in few weeks and keep u posted, take care love Amber

#6 mommee42

mommee42

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 07:49 PM

Hey, I'm new here and I specifically came on to find out more about Abilify and what experiences people had with it. I'm on my 6th day. Abilify 2mg was added to Cymbalta 120mg and Adderrall XR 20mg daily. So far, it makes me very tired so I take it at night. I wake up sleepy. I had a slight bit of nausea the first day. No appetite changes, which is great since I just lost 30 pounds and have more to go. I know it's too soon but I swear I notices changes in my thinking afte the 2nd day. I went out shopping, not because I HAD to but because I wanted to, which is rare. On the 3rd day, I found myself interested and working on home improvements, also rare. Simply said, it's the interests and wants I am amazed at... since I haven't been interested in or wanted to do anything for many many years. The Cymbalta helped prevent "BAD" things such as severe anger and wanting to cause physical harm to others, with reason for it ofcourse; painic attacks; crying; and just plain freaking out! However, it only went as far a just getting me through each day, miserably, at least that's how I see it. So the Abilify was added to lift my mood and rise above this rock I've been under. I think you should definitely try it. What do you have to lose? Good luck to you.

Edited by mommee42, 25 November 2008 - 07:50 PM.

#7 mommee42

mommee42

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 08:02 PM

You obviously aren't suffering from major depression. You sound like most "normal"people who just don't get it. You can't conceive the fact that someone can't JUST put their mind over the matter. As far as a VERY STRONG DRUG... Please. These drugs are EXTREMELY helpful and even lifesavers for a lot of people. Without these STRONG drugs, there's no telling how many "fatalities" there would be. I can't even believe you came onto a DEPRESSION forum and made these statements considering you are NOT a doctor and are NOT depressed.

#8 Maedhros

Maedhros

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 08:56 PM

I have had bizarre dreams, very vivid with frequent periods of near wakefulness and starting out of sleep with Cymbalta. (Despite the fact I take Zoplicone.) Making sure I take it early in the day gets rid of them, although I seem to metabolize C. quickly, so this might not help you. Best wishes.
We are all failures -- at least, all the best of us are. -- Sir James M. Barrie

#9 flippingout

flippingout

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 08:32 PM

i am not on cymbalta, but i AM on abilify. i do know that many times pdocs will prescribe abilify in conjunction with an ssri to treat resistant depression. i have to say, abilify does help energize me. it helps keep nasty thoughts at bay, though a few still do sneak in. nothing wrong about talking to your pdoc with a trial run. i know for me, the higher doses made me drowsy, lower doses energized me. i take it at night, and wake up feeling okay.
Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.
-Family Guy

#10 Darknessiss

Darknessiss

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 12:37 PM

[quote name='mommee42' date='Nov 25 2008, 08:02 PM' post='465171']
You obviously aren't suffering from major depression. You sound like most "normal"people who just don't get it. You can't conceive the fact that someone can't JUST put their mind over the matter. As far as a VERY STRONG DRUG... Please. These drugs are EXTREMELY helpful and even lifesavers for a lot of people. Without these STRONG drugs, there's no telling how many "fatalities" there would be. I can't even believe you came onto a DEPRESSION forum and made these statements considering you are NOT a doctor and are NOT depressed.

Yep I totally agree with you. That guy is tool! He's being so very irresponsible buy putting out that kind of mis-information based off of one persons experience with Risperdal. Yes maybe 1% of the mentally ill population has a bad experience on a certain med but there are millions more who benefit from anti-psychotic medicines and are now able to live a productive life. :hearts:
Diagnosed: Bipolar I Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder (Social Phobia), Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (combined) (

Meds: Seroquel (quetiapine fumarate) 100mg, Effexor XR (venlafaxine hydrochloride) 300mg, Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylste) 30mg, d-amphetamine (dextroamphetamine) 30mgs, Coumadin (warfarin) 5mg

Supplements: Omega-3, multivitamin

"Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional."

#11 quietCherub

quietCherub

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 05:46 PM

Hey :) My two cents: I take cymbalta, currently 120mg. It is making me WAY too tired, but that's another point... I was taking 90mg, but felt it wasn't working as well as it should have been. (I've been taking it for years too). So I tried a supplement called Deplin (its technically a "medical" food) and it really helped, but my insurance didn't cover it, and my pdoc only rarely got samples. So, I tried adding abilify. I felt it make a difference in the first week, at least it seemed. I didn't take much, only 2.5 mg 1x a day. I felt as though it made me kind of nauseus, and since I had other options to try, I opted to give more cymbalta a chance, and thats where I stand right now. I only took it for a month tho, so the nausea might have gone away. Plus it wasn't too bad to begin with. I'm too sleepy on the extra cymbalta tho, its ridiculous. Gonna try the ol Wellbutrin / Cymbalta combo... wellbutrin is more energizing, I just sometimes can't take it because I have anxiety problems too, and the energizing can make that worse.
Trying to save myself, but my self keeps slipping away...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users