Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Taking Wellbutrin And Ginkgo Biloba

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Trailvale

Trailvale

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:32 AM

Hi everyone, im 22 and have been suffering from depression and anxiety for a long time. Point being it is a big impact on my sex drive unfourtanly. I have a great understanding girlfriend luckily, who deals with the same ****. I recently started taking 300mgs of Wellbutrin XL and 120mgs of Ginkgo Biloba its definitly helping alot. I have had no side effects from taking these yet but im just a bit concerned because I read that they can be dangerous when taken together? I have no history of seizures.., I have had a blood clot two years ago and heavy internal bleeding with a severe injury, thats the thing that concerns me (escpecially on the Ginkgo biloba). My main question is.. could side effects start occuring later on when on both medications or am I pretty much all set now that I have tried them out and had positive results? I have been on both at the same time for the past two weeks.

#2 Guest_Giz_*

Guest_Giz_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:26 AM

Never tried either, but wanted to try the Gingko Biloba as it is an anti oxidant for the brain..But its usually used in older people, to stave off dementia.. Just wondering about using it at 22 & if its necessary..
Cant get gingko over here, its been medicalised..as in only the doc can prescribe it and they wont..
I would be wary of using the two together. As they work on entirely different levels to each other and could be potentially harmful together..
If you must be on the wellbrutin then drop the gingko.
But do take a look into nutrition & mental health, make the suggested changes to your diet & see if the wellbrutin continues to be necessary..

#3 grendal

grendal

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 10:30 AM

I took wellbutrin for a while it work at first but i becme depressaded after taking it for a year so watch out.
"Eternity lies ahead of us and behind, have you drunk your fill?"
" We sit together the mountain and I, till only the mountain remains."

"Heaven lasts long, and Earth abides
What is the secret of their durability?
Is it because they do not live for themselves
That they endure so long?
Lao Tzu

"I don't fear the setting sun....or the twilight that it brings."
Amon Amarth lyrics

#4 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 01:16 PM

It's best to ask your pdoc about taking Gingko and WB together. Some herbals and pmeds do not work together well and may have negative effects on your body/brain.
Sheepwoman
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#5 Burgy

Burgy

Platinum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,824 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 01:18 PM

Hi Trailvale,

I've been taking 300mg WB XL for a couple of years, and I've been taking Ginkgo biloba for much longer than that. I've never had an interaction that I'm aware of. I also take Vinpocetine, which is an extract from the Vinca minor (Periwinkle) plant. It increases circulation in the brain and eyes, while Ginkgo increases circulation throughout the entire body (and so it can also be helpful with impotence). Both are antioxidants.

As far as mental functioning, studies have shown that Ginkgo is more beneficial to people with age related decline, whereas Vinpocetine is helpful to all ages. I take much less Ginkgo than you (20-40mg/day) because I take Vinpocetine and other cognitive supplements (and the WB of course) and they tend to be synergistic.

I'm not a professional and not saying that I know for certain that there's no risk. But in my personal experience, I've had good results from many cognitive supplements, and they've worked just fine alongside the Wellbutrin. Ginkgo does thin the blood (much like aspirin does), so your concern about bleeding is warranted. Hemophiliacs and others with bleeding issues should avoid Ginkgo. My blood still clots just fine, so I'm not concerned about that myself.

Hope this helps.

Posted Image We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world. ~Buddha

#6 tkdan

tkdan

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 07:21 AM

I've been taking the two together for quite some time with no adverse affects. I'm also on other meds that tend to thin the blood and have had no clotting problems. Of coarse everyone is different when it comes to drug interations. It is always best to take to your doc (I usually do not) to make sure it is not a problem for you.

#7 hazel2000

hazel2000

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:35 AM

Hi Trailvale,

I've been taking 300mg WB XL for a couple of years, and I've been taking Ginkgo biloba for much longer than that. I've never had an interaction that I'm aware of. I also take Vinpocetine, which is an extract from the Vinca minor (Periwinkle) plant. It increases circulation in the brain and eyes, while Ginkgo increases circulation throughout the entire body (and so it can also be helpful with impotence). Both are antioxidants.

As far as mental functioning, studies have shown that Ginkgo is more beneficial to people with age related decline, whereas Vinpocetine is helpful to all ages. I take much less Ginkgo than you (20-40mg/day) because I take Vinpocetine and other cognitive supplements (and the WB of course) and they tend to be synergistic.

I'm not a professional and not saying that I know for certain that there's no risk. But in my personal experience, I've had good results from many cognitive supplements, and they've worked just fine alongside the Wellbutrin. Ginkgo does thin the blood (much like aspirin does), so your concern about bleeding is warranted. Hemophiliacs and others with bleeding issues should avoid Ginkgo. My blood still clots just fine, so I'm not concerned about that myself.

Hope this helps.

I take 150mg of wellbutrin a day. I noticed recently that I was really struggling to remember things. I tried a recent supplement that had Gingko, Resveratrol, Vincopectine, Huperzine and other ingredients in it, but I felt like my heart was racing. It definitely helped with the mental clarity, but it was too much and I had insomnia. I am not even sure I should've been taking it with Welllbutrin. I had tried taking Gingko by itself once and it made me feel weird, but I may try again. Maybe I should just add Gingko into my regimine. Can you tell me what brand you take? I have never seen one in such a low dosage. I would like to take a low dosage as I am sensitive to supplements.

#8 aznmlfan

aznmlfan

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 09:35 PM

Hi Trailvale,

Hope this helps.

I take 150mg of wellbutrin a day. I noticed recently that I was really struggling to remember things. I tried a recent supplement that had Gingko, Resveratrol, Vincopectine, Huperzine and other ingredients in it, but I felt like my heart was racing. It definitely helped with the mental clarity, but it was too much and I had insomnia. I am not even sure I should've been taking it with Welllbutrin. I had tried taking Gingko by itself once and it made me feel weird, but I may try again. Maybe I should just add Gingko into my regimine. Can you tell me what brand you take? I have never seen one in such a low dosage. I would like to take a low dosage as I am sensitive to supplements.

For the low dose ginkgo, you can buy it in a liquid. I get the generic store brand one from Vitamin Shoppe. There's a dropper and you can control how many drops you take. And don't worry, it doesn't taste bad.
hope that works for you~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users