Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Anyone Take Celexa (citalopram) For Anxiety?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Laddy1975

Laddy1975

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 08:01 AM

:hearts: A bit of background... I had my 1st panic attack years ago while at an Ozzy Osbourne concert (go figure) and it seemed to trigger a long lasting "anxiety" and "just not right" feeling for a long time. I was young and unaware of what was going on... finally I went to a Doctor who diagnosed me with a panic/anxiety disorder and put me on meds. I ended up on Celexa (Citalopram) and it seemed to work for me (or I just got over it) and I stopped. I ended up having bouts on and off my young adult life and stayed on the meds for a couple years straight and then weened myself off and went another year med-free and anxiety free. This included some pretty "stressful" times (birth of my son, wedding, etc.)

Now I am into my 3rd month of feeling pretty bad. It varies. I am into week 6 of being back on the Citalopram and the results have been up and down. I can have a great day, then an awful day. It seems to strike at certain parts of the day regardless of what I am doing.

I saw my Doctor last Friday to let her know what was going on and see if I should up my dosage or add anything... (I am on 20mgs of Citalopram) She told me that Celexa is the least popular AD for anxiety treatment and that usually Zoloft, Paxil and others were more common and effective. She said she prescribed me the Celexa because it had worked in the past. She also gave me a prescription for Lorazepan in case I needed it.

Has anyone else taken Celexa or Citalopram for anxiety? I sometimes wonder if I am dealing with some depression as well... interested to hear others thoughts and experience.

Randy

#2 daisychain

daisychain

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 01:52 PM

Hi Laddy,
I have been taking Citalopram for 18 months now. I went to the GP with depression and he diagnosed depression/anxiety -he started me on a low dose which was slowly increased to my present level of 30 mgs. I did take 40mg for a short while but felt too doped on it.

My GP is keen on citalopram and I understand it helps with anxiety too. Even now I have bad times but hopefully the dips will not be as low or as long.

The best thing is to ask your GP what she thinks about the medication being the right one for you.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Iíve learned that every day you should reach out and touch someone. People love a warm hug, or just a friendly pat on the back.

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.

#3 psychocandy

psychocandy

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 04:09 AM

:hearts: A bit of background... I had my 1st panic attack years ago while at an Ozzy Osbourne concert (go figure) and it seemed to trigger a long lasting "anxiety" and "just not right" feeling for a long time. I was young and unaware of what was going on... finally I went to a Doctor who diagnosed me with a panic/anxiety disorder and put me on meds. I ended up on Celexa (Citalopram) and it seemed to work for me (or I just got over it) and I stopped. I ended up having bouts on and off my young adult life and stayed on the meds for a couple years straight and then weened myself off and went another year med-free and anxiety free. This included some pretty "stressful" times (birth of my son, wedding, etc.)

Now I am into my 3rd month of feeling pretty bad. It varies. I am into week 6 of being back on the Citalopram and the results have been up and down. I can have a great day, then an awful day. It seems to strike at certain parts of the day regardless of what I am doing.

I saw my Doctor last Friday to let her know what was going on and see if I should up my dosage or add anything... (I am on 20mgs of Citalopram) She told me that Celexa is the least popular AD for anxiety treatment and that usually Zoloft, Paxil and others were more common and effective. She said she prescribed me the Celexa because it had worked in the past. She also gave me a prescription for Lorazepan in case I needed it.

Has anyone else taken Celexa or Citalopram for anxiety? I sometimes wonder if I am dealing with some depression as well... interested to hear others thoughts and experience.

Randy

Not heard that about Celexa being the least popular... Not sure if hes got his facts right there.

Maybe things like Prozac etc are prescribed a bit more. Usually because this is what the GP knows about.
"Every day when I wake up I thank the Lord I'm Welsh" - Catatonia

#4 kirkwuk

kirkwuk

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 05:51 PM

Citalopram from what I've heard is one of the most popular AD's and one with the least side-effects.

This drug treated my severe depression with 10mg for a good year, but then I developed debilitating anxiety symptoms which ceased when I came off it. My depression VANISHED on this drug, and I'm having a hard time trying to find a working alternative.
Beating depression since 2007

#5 cvoor

cvoor

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 10:40 AM

Zoloft relaxed me more than the Celexa. Your results may be different.

#6 Guest_Virgo831_*

Guest_Virgo831_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2008 - 03:42 PM

I don't take celexa(40mg) for anxiety. I take it for depression and I wasn't even aware that it could be used as an anxiety med also. I take clonazepam(0.5mg)for my anxiety. Plus, I also take Trazodone(75mg)for depression as well. I can't say for certain that any of these meds are really working for me. Trazodone helps me sleep at night which is something I desperately need since I have chronic insomnia but as far as the depression/anxiety I could just as well be taking a placebo. But I agree that everyone responds to certain meds certain ways. What helps you may not help me or someone else and vice a versa.

#7 Scattered13

Scattered13

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 04:27 PM

I take Celexa for anxiety and depression. My GP originally put me on it after discerning my depression was back and I needed a stronger anxiety med. She said this was a med that could be used to treat both. For me it works on both, although I recently had to put the dose up to continue getting the same effects.
Dx: psychotic depression, panic disorder, rheumatoid arthitis, 'something else going on'
Rx: mirtazapine 45mg,respiridone 1mg, adalimumab 40mg, azathioprine 150mg, hydroxychloroquine 400mg, prednisolone 5mg, diclofenac sodium 150mg, codeine 30mg, zaleplon 10mg, calcium and vit.d

#8 chel

chel

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 06:14 PM

i am on 40 mg of citalipram for depression and si ing, it helps me get out of bed yet i dont feel excited about anything either , yet that can because i am so tired and in pain. i know i have weird feelings as i upped the meds everytime my dose changed and it makes me terribly constipated, sorry but its the trueth i had alot of anxiety about driving my car after my auto accident and it could be helping with that too. talk with your doctor , it might take a few tries to find the right one

#9 Darknessiss

Darknessiss

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 07:43 PM

My Pdoc prescibed the Citalopram because he claimed it would help with depression and that it is also great for anxiety. I found it helps with depression at 40mgs daily but not at all with anxiety. I aasked for something that is good for social anxiety disorder and was prescribed Effexor XR. I still had 60 tabs of 40mg Citalopram so I decided to keep taking it in addition to the Effexor XR. So far I still have the SAD symptoms with no real improvement.
I plan on asking for an increase in the Effexor XR and I will be dropping the Citalopram completely. My doctor would be pi**ed if he knew I was "self-medicating" and taking two AD meds together without permission.
I did'nt have any problems or side-effects while taking Citalopram. I was not sleepy or too "doped", I just wanted the SAD to be gone and I was already on the maximum dose of that AD.
Has anyone else tried two AD meds at the same time? So far I have'nt run into seratonin syndrome from doing this.
Diagnosed: Bipolar I Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder (Social Phobia), Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (combined) (

Meds: Seroquel (quetiapine fumarate) 100mg, Effexor XR (venlafaxine hydrochloride) 300mg, Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylste) 30mg, d-amphetamine (dextroamphetamine) 30mgs, Coumadin (warfarin) 5mg

Supplements: Omega-3, multivitamin

"Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional."

#10 PrincessB

PrincessB

• PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 08:31 PM

I started on 20 mg citalopram for a month, then got on 40 mg. Have been doing that for about 6 weeks now. It helps for depression, but hasn't done anything for my anxiety. I haven't been officially diagnosed with an anxiety disorder, but I'm talking to my therapist about it. She is going to call my prescribing doc after our next session if it still hasn't improved.

#11 warpysaint

warpysaint

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 09:16 PM

I did'nt have any problems or side-effects while taking Citalopram. I was not sleepy or too "doped", I just wanted the SAD to be gone and I was already on the maximum dose of that AD.
Has anyone else tried two AD meds at the same time? So far I have'nt run into seratonin syndrome from doing this.

I take Wellbutrin and Effexor for Depression, anxiety and ADHD. Treating ADHD with bad anxiety can be tricky. This mix seems to work pretty good for the ADHD and Depression without aggravating the anxiety too much, although it (anxiety) is still sometimes an issue. It is not terribly uncommon to take several AD's simultaneously, especially if there are multiple DX's or the depression has resisted treatment. I started with Celexa and it worked okay on my depression and anxiety, but didn't stop severe anxiety or panic attacks. Also it made me REALLY drowsy once I got up to 40 mgs or better.
-WS
In the beginning the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -Douglas Adams The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

"I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime..." -Big CountryPosted Image

#12 wyldorchids

wyldorchids

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 12:20 AM

celexa does help with my anxiety big time. but i take it as an AD. xanax is the bomb for anxiety. i also take xanax to help with sleep as i have insonmia and cant afford my ambien anymore. another miracle pill. Ativan is even better anxiety pill but hard to get as its very addictive. give me xanax and ambien and i think i could dump the celexa. lol

#13 wyldorchids

wyldorchids

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 12:22 AM

for drowsiness, take the celexa at evening or night before bed. its what i had to do.

#14 Darknessiss

Darknessiss

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 06:26 PM

celexa does help with my anxiety big time. but i take it as an AD. xanax is the bomb for anxiety. i also take xanax to help with sleep as i have insonmia and cant afford my ambien anymore. another miracle pill. Ativan is even better anxiety pill but hard to get as its very addictive. give me xanax and ambien and i think i could dump the celexa. lol

Yes Xanax is the bomb for treating anxiety attacks but is only useful in the short term as you develop a tolerance to it and become addicted with long term use. I was on Xanax for over two years before my doctor stopped prescribing it. He said that I had been on it for too long and cut me off suddenly, wow that sucked bad as the withdrals were horrible! :hearts:
Diagnosed: Bipolar I Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder (Social Phobia), Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (combined) (

Meds: Seroquel (quetiapine fumarate) 100mg, Effexor XR (venlafaxine hydrochloride) 300mg, Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylste) 30mg, d-amphetamine (dextroamphetamine) 30mgs, Coumadin (warfarin) 5mg

Supplements: Omega-3, multivitamin

"Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional."

#15 SometimesLight

SometimesLight

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 05:26 PM

I take 30mgs of Celexa mainly for anxiety. It appears that today hit has not brought any relief. I would say talkign to your doctor is the best way to go...as noone else knows you but them. Forigve me if i'm short...as stated in my previous post, I'm having an awful time today.

Randy

#16 badfish

badfish

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 09:49 AM

Hi, Im on 20mg of citalopram, though i was prescribed 40mg a day when things where really bad. I found it really increases anxiety when you first start taking it and it only starts working about 2weeks . I was justwondering if any1 else had experienced strange side effects taking citalopram. For example i developed a twitch where my head jerks sharply to the right or left any1 else experienced anything similar.

Apart from the occasional bad day Citalopram controls my anxiety fine. 20mg i s minium dose a doctor can prescribe u may find you need a higher dose.

Badfish

#17 numbskullll

numbskullll

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 03:29 PM

Celexa has worked very well for me in the past to control anxiety,
A friend will help you move... A good friend will help you move a body.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users