Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Hate Food And Eating, But Not Anorexic?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 Jane27mg

Jane27mg

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 03:46 AM

I have never had an appetite in all my life. This is technically considered "anorexia" which means "lack of appetite"- but I hate that label and I refuse to be called that.
I hate food and I hate eating. It's not because I think I'm fat or that I need to lose weight. In fact I want to gain weight! I just have no desire to eat, and eating is a chore for me. I feel like it's a waste of my time to take time out of my day to eat, and I hate it, but I know I have to do it in order to survive. I'm a bit malnourished because I only like to eat very plain food, and if I'm not reminded I will go all day without eating because I just won't feel hungry and I'll forget to eat.

I hate people assuming that I have an eating disorder. Or when people say "Oh, you think you're fat, don't you?" or "Eat a cheese burger!" it makes me so mad. I get paranoid about going to the bathroom when I'm out at dinner because I don't want the people I'm with to think I'm going to the bathroom to throw up my food.

Does anyone else have this problem? I've been given Remeron, Zyprexa, and Megace in the past to try to stimulate appetite but none have worked (and had terrible side effects!!). The only thing that ever made me feel hungry was urn. I got very underweight at one point (85lbs), and I managed to gain 10lbs by smoking filter and then cramming as much food as possible while I felt hungry. I am still underweight at 95lbs currently, but much closer to normal and I haven't been losing weight since reaching 95. I would like to be able to enjoy food without drugs.
Any ideas? Anyone else with this problem?

#2 Lizzy

Lizzy

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,506 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 07:59 AM

Welcome! I don't eat as I have a phobia so the less food I take in the less there is to throw up.

How is your sense of smell? Do you take medication which might take away your smell function? When I care for old cats I am told to put their food into the microwave as warm food encourages eating, remembering that cats usually eat warm food in the wild. As we age our senses malfunction including the sense of smell. When I was on the Pill I could only smell garbage, not roses or other perfumes. Is it possible that the area of the brain responsible for the sense of smell is damaged? Maybe a chat with a neurologist who deals with head injuries would give a clue?

Have you had a thyroid function check recently? How are your periods? Do you have safe foods? Some people are naturally light weight, why does it matter? Why do others' opinions matter?

Edited by Lizzy, 20 October 2008 - 08:02 AM.

Lizzy
Any change is scary even when we want it Posted Image

#3 bigblackdog

bigblackdog

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 10:52 AM

My best friend can't eat. We don't know if it is a medical condition or what....well that's a lie it is a medical condition they just don't know which one (drs are dumb). Are you also anemic? She is but randomly i don't think the two conditions are related because she has a rare disease too that causes severe anemia. From a more personal pt of view, i think life would be marvellous if we didn't have to eat, i eat fine but i'm not a foody, i eat to live not live to eat. I think nothing about her not eating, if she comes over i get her a salad to pick at whilst we eat that way noone feels embarrassed. I do feel for her though, i wonder if it matters to her that we can eat whilst she can't? But then if she has no appetite why would she care...hmmm....don't feel bad about it, you are who you are.

#4 Jane27mg

Jane27mg

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 04:17 PM

Welcome! I don't eat as I have a phobia so the less food I take in the less there is to throw up.

How is your sense of smell? Do you take medication which might take away your smell function? When I care for old cats I am told to put their food into the microwave as warm food encourages eating, remembering that cats usually eat warm food in the wild. As we age our senses malfunction including the sense of smell. When I was on the Pill I could only smell garbage, not roses or other perfumes. Is it possible that the area of the brain responsible for the sense of smell is damaged? Maybe a chat with a neurologist who deals with head injuries would give a clue?

Have you had a thyroid function check recently? How are your periods? Do you have safe foods? Some people are naturally light weight, why does it matter? Why do others' opinions matter?

My sense of smell is fine. I know what you mean about only smelling garbage- one medicine I took in combination with the Pill made everything smell like cat pee! It was so bizarre- I wanted to puke at the smell. But I could only stand that for a few days and stopped taking the Pill.

I've had two thyroid tests over the years and they both came back normal. Although I have heard that a thyroid problem can be difficult to diagnose. My grandmother felt the same way about food and I think she had a thyroid problem.

Periods are fine. But what are "safe foods"?

I feel alright about myself now that I am at a relatively healthy weight, I don't consider myself to have any body image issues. Though just small things I'd rather not have, as I'm sure everyone has about their body, like I'd rather look a bit less bony. It just angers me when people think it's ok to yell things out at underweight people, yet not ok to yell things at overweight people? I think people should keep their opinions to themselves when it comes to some stranger's body! :)

Thanks for the info, I will ask about a thyroid test next time I'm at the doctor!

#5 Jane27mg

Jane27mg

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 04:19 PM

My best friend can't eat. We don't know if it is a medical condition or what....well that's a lie it is a medical condition they just don't know which one (drs are dumb). Are you also anemic? She is but randomly i don't think the two conditions are related because she has a rare disease too that causes severe anemia. From a more personal pt of view, i think life would be marvellous if we didn't have to eat, i eat fine but i'm not a foody, i eat to live not live to eat. I think nothing about her not eating, if she comes over i get her a salad to pick at whilst we eat that way noone feels embarrassed. I do feel for her though, i wonder if it matters to her that we can eat whilst she can't? But then if she has no appetite why would she care...hmmm....don't feel bad about it, you are who you are.

Every time I get a blood test done it shows that I am not anemic, to my surprise. I do get very tired, but I think that may be because of my ADs and low blood pressure.

I'm still waiting for that Jetson's meal-in-a-pill technology to happen! :)

#6 Lizzy

Lizzy

• Platinum Member
  • 9,506 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 05:27 AM

Meal in a Pill would be great! All those hours of not having to wash up, prepare food, clean surfaces, clean the cooker ........ I would spend those hours in our garden, out walking, being with friends ....... no Pubs, no worrying about holiday gut bugs when abroad ......... says She who *hates* swallowing pills LOL!

How are we today? I found that if I stop worrying about having to eat I pick subconsciously. Do you know and I've written this elsewhere:

Hubby's family had a 'do' 3 years ago which was a sit-down round the table eating type 'do'; I wasn't far from his mother but being busy talking to someone I hadn't met before i didn't notice her watching me ...... however, just as we were leaving the Hall she said to me in a loud voice "I was so pleased to see you eating up all your dinner Liz." ........... i.e. I know Liz has problems with eating but isn't it good that I noticed she ate up all her food today-type attitude <glares hard>

Beat that anyone? ;-)
Lizzy

#7 Jane27mg

Jane27mg

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 03:53 PM

Meal in a Pill would be great! All those hours of not having to wash up, prepare food, clean surfaces, clean the cooker ........ I would spend those hours in our garden, out walking, being with friends ....... no Pubs, no worrying about holiday gut bugs when abroad ......... says She who *hates* swallowing pills LOL!

How are we today? I found that if I stop worrying about having to eat I pick subconsciously. Do you know and I've written this elsewhere:

Hubby's family had a 'do' 3 years ago which was a sit-down round the table eating type 'do'; I wasn't far from his mother but being busy talking to someone I hadn't met before i didn't notice her watching me ...... however, just as we were leaving the Hall she said to me in a loud voice "I was so pleased to see you eating up all your dinner Liz." ........... i.e. I know Liz has problems with eating but isn't it good that I noticed she ate up all her food today-type attitude <glares hard>

Beat that anyone? ;-)

Ha ha ha, was she trying to mother you like you were 6 years old? Just last weekend I was at dinner with my boyfriend and his family and his mom kept saying "here, do you want another piece of this?" "Have you had some of this?" "Did you have enough?", to which my boyfriend countered "Stop trying to force-feed her, ma!!", and she responded "I'm not trying to! I just want to make sure she's had enough!" , and he said "She's had enough when she stops eating!", and then his dad piped in "What are you, an Italian mom? Quit pushin' food on her!" and back and forth and back and forth in front of everyone. They gave her a pretty hard time, but I'm sure she was just trying to be hospitable, and they were trying to make me feel comfortable about the amount of food I ate, yet it all seemed to back-fire, and it was embarrassing to be in the middle of that in front of every one at a restaurant! :hearts:

Today I was at the dermatologist and one of the staff walked past and said "Eat something, you're too skinny!", to which I gave an annoyed glare. The (thin) receptionist noticed I think, because she then gave me a compliment on my hair and said I looked nice. So that was nice.

#8 Teresaa

Teresaa

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 08:56 PM

I understand. I have not eaten any real food in over 2 days going on 3. I wish I didn't have to eat. 2 days ago I had my usual 2 lattes and then 2 candy bars for dinner. Yesterday I had the same thing. Today I have had my 2 lattes (whole milk) and that is it. I am not hungry and don't feel like eating. Nothing sounds good! Maybe after I smoke enough, but that didn't work yesterday or the day before. I go through phases, but food does not interest me and if I am interested in eating then I eat compulsivly and mostly carbs. There are times I have to force myself to eat, feeling like I am going to get sick. Other times I can not stop.

I don't tell people about my eating because either they get angry, either at how unhealthy it is or they think I have an eating disorder. I probably do, but not one of the typical ones. I am not on any sort of diet and when I eat it is to fill my stomach up with food and not to give myself nuteriants. I used to try to gain weight but I gave up, it won't happen.

#9 Jane27mg

Jane27mg

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 12:58 AM

I understand. I have not eaten any real food in over 2 days going on 3. I wish I didn't have to eat. 2 days ago I had my usual 2 lattes and then 2 candy bars for dinner. Yesterday I had the same thing. Today I have had my 2 lattes (whole milk) and that is it. I am not hungry and don't feel like eating. Nothing sounds good! Maybe after I smoke enough, but that didn't work yesterday or the day before. I go through phases, but food does not interest me and if I am interested in eating then I eat compulsivly and mostly carbs. There are times I have to force myself to eat, feeling like I am going to get sick. Other times I can not stop.

I don't tell people about my eating because either they get angry, either at how unhealthy it is or they think I have an eating disorder. I probably do, but not one of the typical ones. I am not on any sort of diet and when I eat it is to fill my stomach up with food and not to give myself nuteriants. I used to try to gain weight but I gave up, it won't happen.

Yeah that sounds like me! I eat all plain food, all carbs. Nothing healthy. I wish- I should- eat healthier. But it's so much easier to get down plain food like plain white rice or plain noodles. It's easier to just eat that and candy for energy, although I worry about damaging my organs, heart, and losing bone density because of not getting enough nutrients. I'm trying to think of food as medicine- it's gross and it sucks, but I need to to be healthy and survive (and yet all I've eaten today were plain noodles and an Ensure... thank goodness for Ensure, meal in a bottle, though!)

I'm glad to know there are people who have the same problem! No one seems to believe me when I tell them- they just think I'm anorexic and trying to disguise it.

#10 Lizzy

Lizzy

• Platinum Member
  • 9,506 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 07:12 AM

Due to stress I've had a junk week <rolls eyes> - the only real food eaten at night when hubby cooks :-).

Today: no bananas so opened a can of pineapple rings and added cream - breakfast. Lunch - 4 crackers with butter and an ice cream .... 2 cups of tea and a cup of coffee ...... later it will be mashed potatoes and probably fish fingers ........ no wonder my head feels woozy LOL!

It's OK to junk occasionally. But my treats are varied dependant on my mood ........ roast beef with Yorkshire pudding, good gravy would be my last meal choice: what would yours be ;-) ? Of course, someone else would cook it for me LOL!

As for mother in law etc.; I make sure that I rarely eat in her presence any more ......... GRRR! :hearts:
Lizzy

#11 Teresaa

Teresaa

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 03:20 PM

i pretty much went 4 days without eathing anything but lattes, pretzles, and candy bars. Last night I had beef jerky and corn nuts and a 1/2 bowl of dry cereal. Sadly i was impressed with myself. That is good eating for me! I usually don't go long period of time without eating like i used to. I guess I go through phases. And I usually have friends that force me to eat, and cook for me when they see me. Which is really nice. i miss them.

#12 Lizzy

Lizzy

• Platinum Member
  • 9,506 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 07:50 AM

It's the woozy head I can't stand when I can't eat .......... :hearts: and I do realise that if I eat that woozy feeling goes away <rolls eyes> - today was 2 chocolate buns for brekkies, plus a lovely bread roll with tasty butter for lunch ....... so I'm OK! We had fish and chips from the shop last night, yummy ......... tonight, who knows!

I try not to get fixated on food-stuffs but those meal-times sure come round regularly LOL!
Lizzy

#13 lizzy100

lizzy100

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 02:44 PM

at the hospitals i went to for assessments in london, anorexia was clinically considered a BMI of less then a certain no. so i wouldnt say just not likeing eating is anorexia. people in recovery/that have recovered often dont enjoy eating but just do it as a necessity, something annoying u have to do. anyways labels dont really matter, its how u feel that matteers.

#14 CherylW

CherylW

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:03 PM

Jane,

I do not have the same situation as you do since I only lose my appetitie when I am depressed like right now. I have lost 30 pds in 3.5 months. My advice is to maybe buy some boost plus or ensure plus that have 350 calories each. I do not know if that will help you wan to eat more but they have nutrients etc and do not taste that bad. I drink them everyday.

Cheryl

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users