• Announcements

• Lindsay

National Mental Health Awareness Month, 2016   05/01/2016

Proclamation 9433 of April 28, 2016 National Mental Health Awareness Month, 2016 A Proclamation Nearly 44 million American adults, and millions of children, experience mental health conditions each year, including depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and post-traumatic stress. Although we have made progress expanding mental health coverage and elevating the conversation about mental health, too many people still do not get the help they need. Our Nation is founded on the belief that we must look out for one another—and whether it affects our family members, friends, co-workers, or those unknown to us—we do a service for each other when we reach out and help those struggling with mental health issues. This month, we renew our commitment to ridding our society of the stigma associated with mental illness, encourage those living with mental health conditions to get the help they need, and reaffirm our pledge to ensure those who need help have access to the support, acceptance, and resources they deserve. In the last 7 years, our country has made extraordinary progress in expanding mental health coverage for more people across America. The Affordable Care Act prohibits insurance companies from discriminating against people based on pre-existing conditions, requires coverage of mental health and substance use disorder services in individual and small group markets, and expands mental health and substance use disorder parity policies, which are estimated to help more than 60 million Americans. Nearly 15 million more Americans have gained Medicaid coverage since October 2013, significantly improving access to mental health care. And because of more than $100 million in funding from the Affordable Care Act, community health centers have expanded behavioral health services for nearly 900,000 people nationwide over the past 2 years. Still, far too few Americans experiencing mental illnesses do not receive the care and treatment they need. That is why my most recent Budget proposal includes a new half-billion dollar investment to improve access to mental health care, engage individuals with serious mental illness in care, and help ensure behavioral health care systems work for everyone. Our Nation has made strong advances in improving prevention, increasing early intervention, and expanding treatment of mental illnesses. Earlier this year, I established a Mental Health and Substance Use Disorder Parity Task Force, which aims to ensure that coverage for mental health benefits is comparable to coverage for medical and surgical care, improve understanding of the requirements of the law, and expand compliance with it. Mental health should be treated as part of a person's overall health, and we must ensure individuals living with mental health conditions can get the treatment they need. My Administration also continues to invest in science and research through the BRAIN initiative to enhance our understanding of the complexities of the human brain and to make it easier to diagnose and treat mental health disorders early. One of our most profound obligations as a Nation is to support the men and women in uniform who return home and continue fighting battles against mental illness. Last year, I signed the Clay Hunt SAV Act, which fills critical gaps in serving veterans with post-traumatic stress and other illnesses, increases peer support and outreach, and recruits more talented individuals to work on mental health issues at the Department of Veterans Affairs. This law will make it easier for veterans to get the care they need when they need it. All Americans, including service members, can get immediate assistance by calling the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK or by calling 1-800-662-HELP. During National Mental Health Awareness Month, we recognize those Americans who live with mental illness and substance use disorders, and we pledge solidarity with their families who need our support as well. Let us strive to ensure people living with mental health conditions know that they are not alone, that hope exists, and that the possibility of healing and thriving is real. Together, we can help everyone get the support they need to recover as they continue along the journey to get well. NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim May 2016 as National Mental Health Awareness Month. I call upon citizens, government agencies, organizations, health care providers, and research institutions to raise mental health awareness and continue helping Americans live longer, healthier lives. IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this twenty-eighth day of April, in the year of our Lord two thousand sixteen, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and fortieth.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
babe

Paying Bills

11 members have voted

1. 1. How do you pay your bills when you're depressed?

• on time
    • a few days late
    • when i remember
    • automatically (pre payment or automatic deductions)
  2. 2. When you're depressed...

• it's an major effort to deal with the bills
    • it's a hard, but you manage
    • it's like any other time
    • someone else does it
    • you deal with it when you're better

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 posts in this topic

Posted

i don't know about the rest of you, but when I'm feeling down I often forget to pay my bills or just ignore them for days (sometimes weeks). i'm curious how everybody else manages.

You might also be interested in:

Posted

i don't know about the rest of you, but when I'm feeling down I often forget to pay my bills or just ignore them for days (sometimes weeks). i'm curious how everybody else manages.

I have been late on my bills lately. I have the money in my account. My electrcity bill even has a check filled out and paperclipped it it. I don't think it is late yet, but it has been sitting there for like 2 weeks. I think I got like 2 days. ha haha. I have been horriable. Depresson or ADHD I don't know. They have been running together lately. I just don't care.

Posted

Bill paying has become a pretty big issue here. The past year I have gotten more either forgetful or not caring about bills getting paid. This is not my guys strong suit and he has been trying to pick up the slack, but with him doing bills we get so many late fees and that just aggravates me. I end up snapping at him... if you would have paid rent on time then you could have bought the stupid game type thing. Last night I was up most the night and did look at some of the stuff we owe versus our income, and I can not pinpoint when things got this bad. The hard part is I really don't want to try to even start to fix it. I am mad that he couldn't help with it. I am mad that I didn't do it.

Posted

Paying bills is a big challenge for me. Not only do I see how much our financial situation has deteriorated since I became depressed, how little I am contributing to the household with my meager income, and how much my medical bills are costing us, but I am also faced with a few official, come-in-the-mail type of issues that I have let go during my Depression. Most days, it's all I can manage to go to work, then go home and do my leg exercises, and then crawl into bed in exhaustion. On my days off, I try to catch up on chores so as not to live in a pig sty. Twice a month or so, I usually manage to make time to collect the mail and pay the rent, electric, etc. on time. I leave those scary, anxiety-causing matters for when I'm better, though.

I'm getting better. I'm accomplishing more per day, taking less time off work, going out with friends more often, etc. Things are improving. I'm still not up to my usual workload, though. Most days, what's waiting for me in the mailbox still just isn't as pressing as the work of just getting through the day. Until I can get through the day to day, I just have to accept that some lesser priorities are going to fall through the cracks for awhile.

Posted

I just try to ignore my bills sometimes ... pretend they aren't there. I will wait until the last possible second to pay something .... like my electricity is scheduled to be turned off in 3 days due to non payment and I will probably wait until the very last possible day to pay it. It's probably a very stupid idea because once I pay it, I am already going to owe next months. I fricken hate bills :hearts:

Posted

I'll get a job for a while, go crazy and lose my job or quit. So I pay my bills when I'm working, rent, utilities until I can afford the other ones, cell phone, ect. I havent payed my school loan or credit card debts for about 6 months. Wow that made me feel pretty bad thinking about that. Maybe one day I can pay them off, maybe I'll file bankrupcy. I only owe like 5 grand now, but I'm broke and in a bad situation.

BILLS SUCK!!!

But I love internet a roof over my head and having the ability to talk to my family on the other side of the country.

Posted

When I am down and out like I have been the last few weeks, I just dont pay them, I dont really care, I figure whats the point at that time. But once I get back on track and feel better I feel bad that I havent so pay all as soon as I can so I dont get down about owing people money,

Isabeau :hearts:

Posted

i don't even look at bills. i just throw them out. for all i know i could be paying for something i didn't even order. i could just care less. it stresses me to think about it. so i don't.