Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

When Will The Anxiety Go Away?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 safetyfast

safetyfast

ID: 28953

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 05:50 AM

I've been on Lex/Citalopram four weeks now. I thought I would be better. I am some days. But I've had more anxiety since I started this than before. Last night I hardly got to sleep, and woke up with it too. I'm exhausted. It's going to be tough going to work today. Is this stuff really working, or is it making things worse?

#2 Trace

Trace

Platinum Member

ID: 10376

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52,085 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 06:11 AM

Hi Safetyfast

There are a lot of start up side effects to meds. Please give them more time, they often take between 6 to 8 weeks to work into your system properly. If after 8 weeks you are still not feeling great, you can go back to the doc, but right now, you still have a few weeks to go before they are in your system properly.

Trace
Listen in deep silence. Be very still and open your mind.... Sink deep into the peace that waits for you beyond the frantic, riotous thoughts and sights and sounds of this insane world. - A course of miracles.

True beauty must come, must be grown, from within.... - Ralph W Trine.

Posted Image

#3 safetyfast

safetyfast

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 06:35 AM

Hi Safetyfast

There are a lot of start up side effects to meds. Please give them more time, they often take between 6 to 8 weeks to work into your system properly. If after 8 weeks you are still not feeling great, you can go back to the doc, but right now, you still have a few weeks to go before they are in your system properly.

Trace

Thank you Trace. The supportive words here help. I went into work, but I'm nervous and a bit hazy. I keep praying that I can get through it. I keep thinking that I've lived through it before, I can do it again, but I still worry about all the times I've just had to crash for a day or two.

Edited by safetyfast, 10 October 2008 - 07:31 AM.

#4 safetyfast

safetyfast

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 08:17 AM

I called my doctor's office and he called me back. He wants to up my dosage of citalopram to 40mg. He said to take 20 in the morning, 20 in the evening, for a week and then go to 40 at one shot. I'm concerned about it somewhat, as I fought going on meds to start with, as my anxiety was not debilitating most of the time, but maybe he's right. He said we would try that for two weeks, and then I'll meet with him again.

I'm scheduled to see a psycologist Monday, so maybe that will help as well. I'm going out of town for work the week after next, so I'm concerned about messing with my meds plus having these issues while I'm gone. Hopefully things will improve soon. I just so want to be normal again.

I find this board to be so supportive in many ways, and a good source of info. However, when I see that many are struggling even after medication, it adds to my anxiety somewhat as well.

#5 PattiLuv

PattiLuv

ID: 28699

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 01:22 PM

give it another few weeks. it took 7 for my anxiety to GO AWAY -- and that it did. You may have a few more rough spots, but before you know it, you'll see the light.

Did the Dr. presribe you a little something to get you over the hump? A benzo perhaps? Some XanaX or Klonopin will do the trick until the Medicine kicks in completely.

You're almost there!!!

#6 safetyfast

safetyfast

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 02:19 PM

give it another few weeks. it took 7 for my anxiety to GO AWAY -- and that it did. You may have a few more rough spots, but before you know it, you'll see the light.

Did the Dr. presribe you a little something to get you over the hump? A benzo perhaps? Some XanaX or Klonopin will do the trick until the Medicine kicks in completely.

You're almost there!!!

Thanks for the response. He did prescribe me some xanax. I took some last night, but it didn't seem to help much. I took another this morning and it seeked to help even me out some, but then this morning was not quite as bad as last night.

#7 safetyfast

safetyfast

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 05:24 AM

Woke up early again with some anxiety. I hope this gets better soon.

#8 ennarose

ennarose

ID: 28782

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 07:36 AM

Safetyfast, do you think you morning anxiety as been diminishing at all? For me it's always been a gradual process, but eventually, it does go away once the meds fully kick in. Hang in there...as PattiLuv said, you're almost there!

#9 safetyfast

safetyfast

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 09:23 AM

Safetyfast, do you think you morning anxiety as been diminishing at all? For me it's always been a gradual process, but eventually, it does go away once the meds fully kick in. Hang in there...as PattiLuv said, you're almost there!

It varies. I took a xanax this morning to get through some social stuff I had this morning. I've got a business trip coming up and I'm anxious about being like this while I'm away from home. I'm debating whether I need to have a talk with my boss. I've not broached my problem at all with anyone at work.

#10 MichaelBlue

MichaelBlue

Advanced Member

ID: 20297

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 01:21 PM

Hi Safety:

On the one hand, upping the dose suddenly can magnify the start-up anxiety, but on the plus side, you may get to that place you need to be much sooner. To use an analogy, it's like walking up a flight of steep stairs a grueling step at a time, or having a crane terrifyingly hoist you up with a rope. I know that's small comfort right now, as every minute feels like an hour, and every hour feels like a day when you are severely depressed. A year ago, I was in that place, too.

The 40mg of citalopram (generic celexa) I take has worked wonders for me. I take it all at bedtime, as it can make me drowsy. And in the mornings and afternoons, I take some generic wellbutrin, which is more activating. I feel very balanced now. Have you considered asking your pdoc about combining -- perhaps at some stage? Whatever you do, you should follow your pdoc's direction. The anxiety was unbearable for me during those initial weeks, as was the joyless mental stupor I was in. I now believe it was all chemical. It took a good six weeks on the med for things to really start getting better. You'll get there, just you wait and see.

MB

#11 safetyfast

safetyfast

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 03:29 PM

Hi Safety:

On the one hand, upping the dose suddenly can magnify the start-up anxiety, but on the plus side, you may get to that place you need to be much sooner. To use an analogy, it's like walking up a flight of steep stairs a grueling step at a time, or having a crane terrifyingly hoist you up with a rope. I know that's small comfort right now, as every minute feels like an hour, and every hour feels like a day when you are severely depressed. A year ago, I was in that place, too.

The 40mg of citalopram (generic celexa) I take has worked wonders for me. I take it all at bedtime, as it can make me drowsy. And in the mornings and afternoons, I take some generic wellbutrin, which is more activating. I feel very balanced now. Have you considered asking your pdoc about combining -- perhaps at some stage? Whatever you do, you should follow your pdoc's direction. The anxiety was unbearable for me during those initial weeks, as was the joyless mental stupor I was in. I now believe it was all chemical. It took a good six weeks on the med for things to really start getting better. You'll get there, just you wait and see.

MB

I'm actually not seeing a pdoc, just my GP, but I've seen him for many, many years and he's pretty intuitive. In fact, he suggested to me that I needed medication probably a couple of years ago, but I thought I could manage, and only went to him seeking help a few weeks ago. He's also referred me to a psychologist that is a friend of his, and I'm seeing him Monday. I don't think my depression or anxiety was that severe, though in the past, the anxiety has interfered with work on occasion, and definitely has negatively effected my family and social life. In fact, until recently, I wasn't even wiling to admit that I might be depressed, though my wife just commented that I've never really been a happy person, and she's known me 20 years.

#12 safetyfast

safetyfast

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:06 AM

Yesterday and today have been a little better. I took a couple of xanax yesterday. None so far today, but I'm feeling a little foggy. I guess that is from the increase in Citalopram dose.

#13 Markinla

Markinla

ID: 31273

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 03:53 AM

Yesterday and today have been a little better. I took a couple of xanax yesterday. None so far today, but I'm feeling a little foggy. I guess that is from the increase in Citalopram dose.

I feel for you. I was having the worst panic attacks in the morning and barely getting through the work day. Then I was scared to go home. It was awful. I was taking generic Wellbutrin which was not really helping and I later learned can make the anxiety worse. I did have zanax which was getting me through but barely and that is how I came to this website which was a blessing. Even though there's alot about it taking 6 weeks to work, I could not wait that long so I went back to the Pdoc and he changed me to Lexapro (10 days ago) and I have not had any attacks since and I am almost back to my "normal" self. I don't know why it worked so well and so fast for me, maybe because I was lucky to get the right "formula" on the 2nd try and that it corresponds to my makeup. In any case I am very grateful and starting to feel hope for the futur. I wish you luck and that you find what works for you.

#14 Markinla

Markinla

ID: 31273

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 03:54 AM

#15 Tosca

Tosca

ID: 31204

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 09:23 AM

I just wanted to add to what's already been said about morning anxiety. I started on Lexapro (Cipralex here in Canada) in September for both anxiety (my primary thing) and depression. The effects were gradual. As those first weeks went on, my sleep was wonky (lots of early waking, which just exacerbated the anxiety) and morning anxiety, which in my opinion, is the worst. At around the week 3 mark, I noticed that I was still having morning anxiety, but its duration was shorter and shorter as time went on. Finally, at the 4-ish week mark, I woke up one very sunny morning with NO anxiety. I swear it was one of the best days of my life.

I then went on to have a great 6 weeks, up until mid-November. I felt like myself again, I had energy, and I looked forward to the future. I realized that I'd been depressed and anxious for much longer than I thought, and my husband made a similar comment to what your wife said about having been depressed for a long time. Anyhow, mid-November I felt myself slipping into a funk. My family doc upped me right away to 20 mg. In about a week I was feeling a lot better. Then, I was hit with two doses of really bad news, and immediately, the depression and anxiety got worse, despite the increase to 20 mg. I started to drive myself crazy- was I feeling bad because of the bad news, or because the 20 mg wasn't enough (or hadn't really taken effect yet)? Once again, this funk started to lift, which to me was reassuring, probably meaning that the 20 mg was really working.

And then, a week ago, the blues set in again. Fortunately my long awaited referral to a psychiatrist was this week. He is affilated with a major hospital that is doing a bunch of large studies of Lexapro. What's coming out is that the effective therapeutic doses are quite often in the 30 to 40 mg range rather than 10-20 mg as the manufacturer advertises. So, he upped me to 30 mg. Today will be my 5th day on 30 mg. I'm thinking that it's already helping somewhat, but I'm not completely there yet- fingers crossed.

I'm also crossing my fingers that you too will get there- and I will remind you (and myself, because I forget this constantly!) that it is SO true what so many have said to me: that it is not at all uncommon to have to tweak your dose, or add a second medication, or have a switch of meds altogether. You WILL get there!

Let us know how it is going :)

#16 happy days 08

happy days 08

ID: 27883

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 04:38 PM

True enough, you will get there. Having a benzo around during startup / dosage increases for all the SE is always helpful. And Tosca, I have heard of many people that are on 30 mg. My doc tried to put me on 30, but it made me constipated, which is one SE I just can't tolerate. Just hold on and remember that things improve, just not as quickly as we want them to.
Hard as it may be sometimes, have faith! Happy Days 08

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users