Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

AD = PERM DAMAGE TO YOUR BRAIN!?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 DepressedGuy

DepressedGuy

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 03:50 AM

I just read a book I bought from amazon.com, and it says that AD's can and most likely will cause PERMANANT BRAIN DAMAGE! What the hell is that about. It says when the AD makes your seratonin hang around longer, your brain notices. Then it uses self defense mechansims, and starts ******* receptors to normalize you! Thats why they suddently stop working for some people, and you need more, or to try a different medication. Does this concern anyone else? I am taking zoloft right now, and lately I have been feeling pretty d*** happy. I smile for no reason, and sometimes I just laugh at things...also for no reason. But I hate to think that all the while I am ******* my one and only god given brain! Comments!@

#2 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 03:55 AM

Don't believe everything that you read. You need to consider where this material is generated from and why. It may be from someone who has an ax to grind or from group that doesn't believe in medicine. There are plenty of people who do not even believe that depression exsists.

I'm really wondering what form of treatment this books endorses for depression?

Edited by Jkm, 24 October 2005 - 12:49 PM.

Posted Image

I have GAD. I worry about everything, lol!

#3 Gonzo

Gonzo

• Platinum Member
  • 4,241 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 06:52 AM

Always consider the source of what you read. Just b/c it's in print doesnt make it true. Research it and then decide. Besides, if AD's caused brain damage, a lot of us are in serious trouble. :hearts:
Brian
[We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools.]
-Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr
Posted Image Posted Image

#4 firelizardee

firelizardee

Lifetime Platinum Mermber

• Premium Platinum Member
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:14 AM

I think it likely that some changes MAY be made to the pathways in the brain, but I don't believe that that would constitute brain damage.

Talking therapies can also make changes to the pathways in the brain, as we learn new ways of thinking.

Doesn't smoking tobacco **** brain cells?
Take care
Firelizardee

"Eat a live frog before breakfast and nothing worse will happen to you all day"
"Only Robinson Crusoe can get things done by Friday!"

Posted ImagePosted Image

Suicide help on DF

UK help for people who are suicidal

I am not a medical professional, when I reply to posts I do so basing my reply on personal experience or a wish to support the poster.

#5 firelizardee

firelizardee

Lifetime Platinum Mermber

• Premium Platinum Member
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:19 AM

would be interesting to know what the books is called and what are the credentials of the author.

Eileen
Take care
Firelizardee

"Eat a live frog before breakfast and nothing worse will happen to you all day"
"Only Robinson Crusoe can get things done by Friday!"

Posted ImagePosted Image

Suicide help on DF

UK help for people who are suicidal

I am not a medical professional, when I reply to posts I do so basing my reply on personal experience or a wish to support the poster.

#6 DepressedGuy

DepressedGuy

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 06:20 PM

The way I see it, the proof that says AD Kills brain cells would be hard to get out to anyone. With how huge the drug companies are, I am sure they can pay to silence the small guy. DId you all know, Pfizer just settled out of court for fraudulently mareting on of its products for symptoms it did not treat. They had to pay 430 million dollars, in addition to several more million in fees for there mistake. It was from an inside wistle blower. I think that AD work, but at what cost to your health? They dont care about side effects, because then they can sell you more drugs to counteract those! I think if you are going to take any med, just take one. Find ONE that works the best for you. Dont take miltiple scripts, cause then you need multiple more to counteract there prodlems. That cannot be good for your body. Ill stick to zoloft. Works on ONE part of my brain, with ONE medication, so if I need tostop, I will only have ONE withwithdrawl process. Just my 2cents

#7 blackhole

blackhole

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 06:39 PM

Well, since our brain chemistry wasn't wired right, I'm sure ADs really do something to change that. But I don't see how it could cause brain damage :hearts:

I'm on Prozac and have heard A LOT of horror stories about it. Some of it is probably just urban legend. It's the only AD that has worked so far and I trust my psychiatrist to no end.

I'm still not 100% better and I am relapsing right now, but I can't discount the good days the Prozac has given me.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

#8 noahfor

noahfor

• PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:53 PM

I honestly feel like each time I go off medication my depression is worse than before, and that if I had never gone on medication I would be in a much better place. I might just be imagining this though, but I might not. However, I'm pretty sure whatever brain damage they are talking about in your book is not what you normally associate with brain damage. I don't ADs could ever give you "that kind" of brain damage. Also, permanence is something that's always being attributed to brain damage and then later being disassociated with it.

#9 lucy2

lucy2

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 12:07 AM

I have read this too, DG. I am concerned but don't know what else to do. I am a basket case without ADs. I was that way before I started them and everytime I go off I fall apart again, really don't know if it's any worse. I have noticed major differences in my memory.

#10 Angie

Angie

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 07:26 PM

There's alot of different information out there and who knows what's true and what's not...

I look at it this way, and this is only on a personal level as we each have to decide what the best thing is for ourselves, when I wasn't on medication my depression just kept getting worse and worse. That was what made me decide to ask for help in the first place. It wasn't getting any better. I was fighting this battle on my own and I was losing. I think if I hadn't gone to the dr. and gotten on something, I probaly would've committed suicide eventually. To me the meds are a godsend...I'd probaly be dead by now without them. My feeling is if it causes any sort of brain damage to me, so be it. I've lived longer because of it and probaly longer than what I would have without it.

Again, I'm not telling anyone what to do, just my personal decision regarding AD.

#11 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,968 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 09:49 AM

Regarding the book you read about ADs causing brain damage, is this book written by a medical professional? Does or is there actual studies and results in this book?

I have taken ADs for over 20 years. The only brain damage I have is caused by TIAs (mini strokes) caused most likely by my high blood pressure. This is also verified by my neurolgist.

The whistle blower at Pfzer was one of their top executives. If I'm, correct the main problem was Vioxx causing heart problems. The FDA approves drugs for prescribing doctors. In the vioxx case, via long term studies, it was not known initially that it caused heart issues.

As said before, do not believe everything you read.

This is my two cents worth of information. I hope you can find more information on this topic and share with us.
Go well,
:hearts:
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#12 twistedemotions

twistedemotions

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 09:25 AM

People have reasons to say this sort of stuff without any sort of verifiable medical proof. Just think of Tom Cruise and his Scientology.

Think of it this way. There are a ton of greedy lawyers out there. People love money. If this was true, some lawyer would have picked up a client and sued for big $$$ (taking some % of the judgement). Anti-depressents are hardly new.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users