Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Xanax Three Times A Day?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bowtech

Bowtech

• PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 08:32 AM

I had a severe panic attack yesterday. It was the worst one of my life. Since my doctors office was closed, I went to the ER to seek treatment, which is what my psychiatrist said to do. At first, my doctor prescribed me 1 mg Ativan once a day, but that didn't work. Next, I was prescribed 5 mg Valium 3x a day. That was not working, so I was switched to Valium 4x a day, but the doctor said 5x a day was fine if needed. It often was. I was also allowed to take 10 mg 3x a day if I was having a terrible day.

The ER doctor asked me a few questions regarding my conditions, and suggested increasing the dose of Valium from 5 mg to 10 mg 3x a day. He said thirty mg would calm me down. I told him I was currently on 10 mg Valium, which made it 20 mg for the day. I asked him about the possibility of taking Xanax, and he said we could give it a shot. I have been researching GAD/Panic Disorder for quite some time, so I am familiar with the medications. He prescribed me 1 mg Xanax 3x a day. He explained that it was a quick acting medication, and had a short duration, but was very effective. He took me off of the Valium, and I was prescribed Xanax.

My question:
Does "Take this medication three times a day" mean every four hours, or every eight hours? I called the ER back this morning, and the nurse said it meant every eight hours. I am wondering why I would take it every eight hours, if it is a short acting medication lasting only a few hours? I have always taken the 3x a day medication at 8am, 12pm, and 4pm. By eight the effects wear off, so I take 200 mg Seroquel as well as 25-50 mg Promethazine to sleep.

I know I will not get a solid answer because most of us are not doctors. I am not looking for an answer, but rather experiences you guys have had with taking Xanax 3x a day. Did you take it every four hours, or every eight hours.

I will boldly say, I am not wanting to take it every four hours, nor am I wanting to take it every eight hours. I am; however, wanting to take it as it should be taken, whether it is every four hours or every eight.

#2 Davevanza

Davevanza

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 12:13 AM

I had a severe panic attack yesterday. It was the worst one of my life. Since my doctors office was closed, I went to the ER to seek treatment, which is what my psychiatrist said to do. At first, my doctor prescribed me 1 mg Ativan once a day, but that didn't work. Next, I was prescribed 5 mg Valium 3x a day. That was not working, so I was switched to Valium 4x a day, but the doctor said 5x a day was fine if needed. It often was. I was also allowed to take 10 mg 3x a day if I was having a terrible day.

The ER doctor asked me a few questions regarding my conditions, and suggested increasing the dose of Valium from 5 mg to 10 mg 3x a day. He said thirty mg would calm me down. I told him I was currently on 10 mg Valium, which made it 20 mg for the day. I asked him about the possibility of taking Xanax, and he said we could give it a shot. I have been researching GAD/Panic Disorder for quite some time, so I am familiar with the medications. He prescribed me 1 mg Xanax 3x a day. He explained that it was a quick acting medication, and had a short duration, but was very effective. He took me off of the Valium, and I was prescribed Xanax.

My question:
Does "Take this medication three times a day" mean every four hours, or every eight hours? I called the ER back this morning, and the nurse said it meant every eight hours. I am wondering why I would take it every eight hours, if it is a short acting medication lasting only a few hours? I have always taken the 3x a day medication at 8am, 12pm, and 4pm. By eight the effects wear off, so I take 200 mg Seroquel as well as 25-50 mg Promethazine to sleep.

I know I will not get a solid answer because most of us are not doctors. I am not looking for an answer, but rather experiences you guys have had with taking Xanax 3x a day. Did you take it every four hours, or every eight hours.

I will boldly say, I am not wanting to take it every four hours, nor am I wanting to take it every eight hours. I am; however, wanting to take it as it should be taken, whether it is every four hours or every eight.

When I was on Xanax a few months ago, I took the dose 2mg at 9am, another 2mg at 1pm. Around those times, our circadian rhythms in our bodies are awake and anxiety peaks during those hours. According to me, it is best if we have a combination with some antidepressant and mood stabilizer as well as an anti psychotics during the period of 24 hour.
Therefore at about 3pm I took my first dose of Mirtazapine 45mg which would calm me down, as our circadian rhythm in our bodies also calm down, I don't need another dose of Xanax, and if I do, it will only create havoc in our body system such as greater reinforcement on one type of medication, and that's where people find that Xanax has lost its effectiveness. Along with Mirtazapine, I do take a mood stabilizer, Tegretol, to me it gives a slight euphoric and anti anxiety effect throughout the evening. Finally, before bed, I have my Seroquel 300mg and another dose of Mirtazapine 45mg which will knock me down and got me sleep soundly until the next morning.

#3 moonlightress

moonlightress

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 02:03 AM

Um.. sorry, but I do have a solid answer for you. (I'm an RN.)

"3 times a day" means at breakfast, lunch and supper.
"at night" means bedtime.
"Eight hourly" is prescribed for, well, every eight hours. This is rarely done in out-patients (who is going to wake themselves up at 4am if they're asleep?) but is done in hospitals for IV's etc, where the delivery of medication needs to be constant, especially antibiotics.

Xanax would be breakfast, lunch and supper since it's assumed you don't need it while asleep :) Something else would be prescribed for sleep (as you have described.) And, they'd be about 4-6 hours apart, depending on when your meals are.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users