Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Welcome!

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 10:35 PM

This is still a new medication. I've been on it for over one year, and I can't find much info on it.

All I know is that it's better than the other meds I've been on. I guess we're the pioneers!

Post here, and introduce yourself.
Posted Image

I have GAD. I worry about everything, lol!

#2 texasmom

texasmom

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 12:10 PM

Hi, I'm Crissy & am new to not only the forum, but cymbalta and hoping for the best! Right now after 1 pill last night, I'm groggy, feel like I'm in a fog and would like to go to sleep.

Nice to "meet" you all! Hope I get some good info from the site and learn about what I am on!

#3 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 12:16 AM

We're glad to have you, Crissy! I've had a good response with Cymbalta. I look forward to hearing from you. I'm an Ohio Mom! :hearts:
Posted Image

#4 TiredMom

TiredMom

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 03:17 PM

Hi - I am new to this forum. Unfortunately, I have a history of depression, anxiety, and sever PMS (emotional mood swings). I was on Zoloft for two years and successfully controlled the depression and PMS symptoms. However, my anxiety was actually worse while on Zoloft. I developed issues with talking to people one on one - hard to explain, but eye-contact actually became very difficult. Then the worst - I starting shaking when having to write in front of someone. I know it sounds crazy...but I would actually hardly be able to write. For example, when signing in at a dr. office or signing a credit card slip. :hearts:

So, back in October I weaned off of the Zoloft (under dr. supervision) and attempted to go without any meds. I felt great for about one month (mainly because the anxiety was so much better without the Zoloft for me)...then went downhill fast. My PMS came back full-swing, worrying about everything, not handling stress, and then the worst - depression hit hard. I found myself just wanting to stay in bed and cry. I am the mother of three adorable little ones and need to get better fast.

Today is Day 7 for me on 30mgs of Cymbalta. I will be increasing the does to 60mg in one more week.

I have a couple of questions. Did anyone else have horrible headaches during the beginning side effects? How long did it take for that to pass? Or did it not?? I have a history of problems with tension headaches already and don't know if I will be able to stand this side effect. Also, I am feeling really quite drowsy and having stomach issues.

I have to say that my anxiety is not too bad already. On Day 3 I went out to dinner with several couples that I met for the first time that night and was not nervous at all! A miracle for me!! :bump: Now, if I can just start feeling the depression lifting away....I am very hopeful.

#5 Wattle

Wattle

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 04:32 PM

I suffer from anxiety and depression, and have been on 4 different antidepressants over the years. I have just started on my fifth which is Cymbalta. I have been on it for 4 weeks now (60mg), and am suffering from stomach upsets, loss of apetite (Lost about 16lbs in the last month), terrible anxiety, insomnia even with sleeping tablets and diazepam, a terrible buzzing noise in my head, and basically it has hardly touched the depression. Also I seem to be feeling the cold all the time as well.

Are these usual side effects?

Phil

#6 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 08:23 PM

Tired Mom,

Ad's usually take 4 to 6 weeks till you get the mood lifting effect, so don't throw in the towel. I had the headache and stomach thing for about a week, and my doc told me to us antacids and take something for the headache and it helped. The side effects went away in about 5 days, and I went up to 60mg. with no more side effects like this.

Glad you found your way down here! Good to talk to another Mother! :hearts:

Jackie
Posted Image

#7 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 08:26 PM

Wattle, if you symptoms are worse that when you started with the anxiety and tension, maybe a visit with the doc is in order. The stomach thing is a very usual symptom and generally goes away quickly. I'd be a little concerned about the weight loss. I actually gained weight back, as I lost 10lbs when I first went in and I'm tiny to start with. It's all back, now. Whew!

Let us know how it goes. Seems that people are having trouble with this med adjustment.
Posted Image

#8 Jeff

Jeff

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 12:04 PM

Hi! Im new to these forums as well. Ive had depression since i was around 16 or 17 and have been on and off zoloft up until about 2 years ago (being off was my choice). Taking myself off zoloft this last time probably wasnt a good idea as I slowly over a period of a year or two returned to my old unmotived depressed self :hearts: . I finally got tired of being depressed again and decided to get back on some medication and the doctor had recommened cymbalta over zoloft as it is supposed to increase energy levels and I didnt like the side effects of zoloft. I always felt zombie like and had no sex drive whatsoever. Anyway im rambling in run on sentences, today is my first day on cymbalta and im not really feeling naseasus (sp?) although my pupils are dilated and my vision is slightly blurred, almost like im high but not really. Im taking 30mg for the first week then 60mg for the next two weeks after that then well see what my pdoc says from there. Im also going to start working out with my brother because ive heard just eating healthy and working out can have a huge impact on depression as well. Anyway wish me luck and nice to meet you guys.

Edited by Jeff, 22 February 2006 - 12:22 PM.

#9 quietCherub

quietCherub

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 01:06 PM

Welcome Jeff! Keep us updated on your progress...from my experience, Cymbalta did work better than zoloft, in that I don't feel like a zombie or numb, etc. So hopefully it will work out well for you too! Thats a great idea to work out and eat healthy, as feeling unmotivated and depressed is not just mental, but also physical. It will definitely help you feel better about yourself!

The side effects generally seem to go away pretty quickly, and if you're still not feeling the nausea, power to you! That was the worst side effect for me, but like I said, it went away pretty quickly. I just had to start a little bit slower.

So.....let us know whats going on!
Trying to save myself, but my self keeps slipping away...

#10 Spanophile

Spanophile

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 01:06 PM

I've been on Zoloft, and then Celexa and then Celexa and Wellbutrin. Zoloft worked OK but I gained 25lbs in one month. Celexa didn't work at all until Wellbutrin was added and then I felt great. After 2 weeks though I had an allergic reaction to Wellbutrin and now I can't take it. My doctor has suggested Cymbalta but I've read about how it is similar to Effexor and I've heard horror stories about Effexor withdrawal. Also, I've heard Cymbalta is bad for your liver. How is Cymbalta working for you guys? I'm thinking about going on Lexapro but I think the Wellbutrin's effect on norepinephrine was what really helped me so Cymbalta may be my best bet. What do you think?

#11 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 02:11 PM

Hi Spanophile!

I had no start ups, other than stomach problems for awhile when going from one ad to Cymbalta. Other than the usual sleep problems, I like it better than Lexapro.

Of course, the decision is up to you. :hearts:
Posted Image

#12 texasmom

texasmom

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 03:06 PM

jkm, i just read your post today in reponse to mine...lol i was just in ohio visiting some on-line mommies there! it was freezing to me being from texas and all!

yay! more cym users....how is everyone doing? i have never felt this great or tired...rofl...what a contradiction I know...but i'm not near the spaz i was pre-cym!! rofl!

#13 TiredMom

TiredMom

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 08:46 PM

Hi Spanophile and Jeff!

I was on Zoloft for years and suffered from many side effects which eventually caused me to stop taking it. The depression returned and I have been on Cymbalta 60mg for approximately 4 weeks now and I already feel a drastic improvement. The only side effect that I notice is that feel a little more tired than usual. I am hoping that this will improve with time. Obviously, everyone reacts differently, but I would suggest giving Cymbalta a try. Best of luck to you!

#14 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 03:07 AM

Welcome, Jeff!

It's been a couple of days for you on Cymbalta. How are you feeling, now?

Of course, we're going to wish you "Good Luck!" Let us know how you're doing, okay?

Jackie :hearts:
Posted Image

#15 textures

textures

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 07:09 PM

Just getting ready to start this, and have some definite trepidation over the whole "sleepiness" thing. I had a friend that was on that said it gave him a ton of energy, and yet most of the things I read on the web mention the sleepies. This is one part of my depression that I loathe, and would hate to have the thing thats supposed to help me add to it :(
Anyways, just wanted to post here to say Hi, and I am glad to be here

#16 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 10:14 PM

Welcome, textures!

I was scared when I was tapering from Lexapro to Cymbalta. I had some stomach issues, but it went away. It works better for me when I take it in the am, but everyone is different.

We'll be here about everyday to see how you're doing. Look in the Page stating "Check In", and let us know how you're doing. We'll help you get throug this. You aren't alone, by any means. :bump: :shocked:

:hearts: :wave:
Posted Image

#17 kevv729

kevv729

• PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 03:40 PM

I am going to start Cymbalta tomorrow. Went to the Doctor today He thought this would be the best one for Me to take. He asked Me if I have had any seizures for He was going to put me on Welliburton or something like that at first but it was decided since I did have seizures as a child and teenager and such this one would be better for Me. I take this in the mornings start 30mg for a week then take 60mg the next week and see how it goes for Me then. I hope this helps My Depression keeping My figers crossed on this one. For I was on Paxil in 2000 and it did make Me suicidual then. So We will see what happens now on Cymbalta.
That is My Pearls of Wisdom.

#18 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 08:36 AM

Welcome to the Cymbalta crowd, kevv7299!!

We have a daily check in, but the check in the side effects room if you have any questions. I think it has the most traffic.

Looking forward to reading how you do!!

Jackie :hearts:

Edited by Jkm, 08 March 2006 - 08:44 AM.

Posted Image

#19 quietCherub

quietCherub

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 02:02 PM

Hi Kevv! Welcome! Let us know how everything is going for you :)
Trying to save myself, but my self keeps slipping away...

#20 kevv729

kevv729

• PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 03:49 PM

So far after 4 days I seem to be doing fine though it has only been so far 4 days. Only minor side affects so far too. We will see in 3 days when the dose is doubled how I feel then. But so far so good.
That is My Pearls of Wisdom.

#21 taffycat

taffycat

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 03:05 PM

Hi Jackie, how are you doing?

I'm not really new to Cymbalta. Was on it for about 4 months when it first came out. It didn't do much for me. I've been off all medications since September. My pdoc has been suggesting that I might want to try the Cymbalta again, since it had the least side effects for me, and the highest recommended dosage has been increased since I was on it, as well. I've decided that I can't stand myself the way I am, so picked up the phone and left the message saying, if you want to give me meds, I'm willing to give it a try again. I start up tomorrow. The only issue that I forgot to raise was, is this one of those medications that once you've been on it, it's not as effective the second time. Will try to remember to ask when I pick up the samples. deb
...in a time lacking in truth and certainty and filled with anguish and despair, no woman should be shamefaced in attempting to give back to the world, through her work, a portion of its lost heart.
-Louise Bogan

Posted Image

#22 shiftworkerpd

shiftworkerpd

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 11:28 AM

Hey everyone...36 year old Sergeant in police department here. New to the board. Recently (past 6 months) had a bout with chronic insomnia (not sure if it was due to shiftwork or just a series of events over last several years that led me into some depression). Doc started me on Remeron and then added trazodone. I started that around end of February. Results have been so-so. I really did not sleep on that mixture (or sometimes i did..but very sporadic). Then, my internist added 30mg cymbalta in the mornings. I was sleeping normal again after the cymbalta was added. I stopped the cymbalta after like 2-3 weeks because of the sexual side effects (difficulty with orgasm/and sometimes maintaining erection/wanted to die..ughh. I dont know if maybe these side effects would go away after more time? Anyway, within a few days of stopping cymbalta I went back to normal sexually..but of course now I cant sleep again :hearts: .

I havent liked any psychaitrist I have seen thus far (been to 3 already). I went back on Cymbalta yesterday and slept right away last night. I was wondering if anyone had any advice, or whether i can ask my doctor about switching cymbalta for wellbutrin (since wellbutrin also hits norepinephrine as well as dopamine). I hear that it has little sexual side effects? (although i heard it may prevent sleep...of course everyone is different..i heard the same about cymbalta..and i sleep the best on that) Or maybe, as i noticed "quiet cherubs" posts, adding wellbutrin to cymbalta and dropping remeron. Anyone taking these combos and if so how is it working for you. Thanks in advance.

Edited by shiftworkerpd, 08 May 2006 - 11:31 AM.

#23 taffycat

taffycat

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 05:44 AM

Welcome, Shiftworkerpd.

My pdoc commonly adds welbutrin to my meds to "boost" their effectiveness, after I've been on them for at least the recommended time for their full effectiveness.

I honestly think that your best option is finding a pdoc, who you like, who knows about medications. (They usually know more than the GP about psychotropic medications.) I have found that doing research and knowing about the various meds has led to good discussions with my pdoc regarding the pros and cons of those meds, and whether they're appropriate for me, but in the end, I trust his judgement.

I'm sure that others will provide you with their experiences as well. Good luck deb
...in a time lacking in truth and certainty and filled with anguish and despair, no woman should be shamefaced in attempting to give back to the world, through her work, a portion of its lost heart.
-Louise Bogan

Posted Image

#24 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 10:10 AM

Thanks for replying, taffycat! :bump:

Only being on Cymbalta, I didn't want to reply until someone who was on Wellbrutin posted, first.

Shiftworker,

Sleep is an important thing for mental health. I hope you get the meds you need and are able to sleep!

:hearts: to the Cymbalta Room!!

Jackie :shocked:
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users