Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Ssdi Psychiatrist Evaluation

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 May_It_Be

May_It_Be

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 05:31 PM

I just went in for my evaluation with an approved, SSDI appointed psychiatrist. She said that she will submit her report/eval within ten days. I was just wondering if anyone knows how long the claims process takes from this point. I first applied in mid-June. My case worker is a wonderful woman ... very kind, compassionate, understanding, attentive. I'm afraid I just don't know where to go from here. All the medical records from my psychiatrist, therapist, other docs, have already been submitted and received, so this was the next (hopefully final) step. If anyone has any information or insight to share about this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you so much for taking the time (and forgive me if this email is somewhat incoherent ... my head is very fuzzy right now with the stress of everything).

Edited by May_It_Be, 11 September 2008 - 05:33 PM.

I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of woes and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you stand, Men of the West!

#2 Always Trying

Always Trying

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 10:27 PM

Hi May It Be,

Your name is very appro po for the topic you are writing about. Well, I can't answer your question as I am in the same place as you are. I'm in the process of doing. To my understanding though, this whole process can take up to six months. (Please don't faint.) In fact, this upcoming Tuesday I will be meeting with them again. I really don't know what to expect. So maybe we should continue to PM each other to keep each of us updated. The only thing I have been told is that the payments are supposed to be affective six months from the date your disability actually began, and the payments are retro active. But you are a whole lot farther into this than I am, so I should be asking you!

Keep me posted,
AT
Always Trying

In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out.
It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being.
We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.

Albert Schweitzer

Posted Image

#3 john1157

john1157

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 10:22 AM

Hi guys, I am currently on SSDI and can only tell you what I went through. The initial application will be decided on in about 6 months or less ( most are rejected at this stage of the game, I was ). Psychiatric cases can be particularly hard to win, your GAF score has to be very bad. If you do get rejected your best bet is to get an attorney at this point and appeal your case, a good percentage of the cases do win on appeal. At this point your case will be heard before a judge and representng yourself is never a good idea. The appeals process can take up to 2 years or even longer in some cases. If you win however you will still get all of your back benefits in a lump sum check which will be quite large by this point, your lawyer gets paid out of the back benefits, if I remember correctly the lawyer gets somewhere around $5,500. (this is capped by SSDI). After 2 years from the onset of your disability you will get Medicare benefits but until you work your way through the appeals process 2 years will have more than likely have passed anyhow.
The key point here is do not despair if rejected on your initial application, most people are. It can be a very slow process.

#4 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,850 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 02:25 PM

The psych eval (I didn't have one) is for verification or clarification of your disability. It sometimes affects the outcome of your claim. From the eval, it can take 3-6 months to get a decision on your claim. You can always call SS for a status of your claim. Back pay can go back 12 months from the date of your claim. If you have to appeal, get an attorney that specializes in SS disability claims. There's no charge for their services until your claim is approved. Then the attorney will be paid a percentage of your back pay. Appeals can take a long time to be resolved. Go to the Social Security website for more information. Your actual payment will depend on how many quarters you paid into Social Security.
Sheepwoman
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#5 May_It_Be

May_It_Be

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 08:55 PM

Thank you, all, for your input on this. Yes, it's such a terrifying process, especially when you have NO source of income and you're scared to death that you'll end up on the street or in a ditch somewhere. I've never understood the reasoning behind the whole waiting process. There are people out there who truly cannot work, and if they have no source of income, they have no where to go. That's what I'm feeling like. I am with family for the moment, but I have no way of knowing what will happen to me if this doesn't get resolved soon. Seriously, what do people actually DO if they have no options? Die? I've never understood this, and it scares the HELL out of me.

I'm in touch with my case worker through SS, and she is very wonderful, so I'm hoping that she will be an advocate. I've heard that if you can get your case worker to be on your side and to get emotionally invested in your case, then you have a better chance at expedience and possibly even approval. So, I'm feeling reassured by that.

Anyway, all of that isn't really what my original post was about ... I just wanted to know how long it typically takes for a case to be decided after you have a psych evaluation, AND how much weight the evaluation actually carries when it comes to making the decision. Thank you so much for being so kind in taking the time to respond to my concerns. It means so much, especially when I'm feeling so afraid and so alone right now.

Thank you!!! And if anyone else has something to suggest, I would greatly appreciate your input, too. Much, much, much obliged.
I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of woes and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you stand, Men of the West!

#6 john1157

john1157

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:28 PM

May It Be, the only other thing you can really do is call your congressmans office. They will send you forms to fill out and contact social Security on your behalf, you will get a quicker response but they can't influence the decision. I did this but in my case I just got rejected quicker. I don't know how much your caseworker can really help as they are not the ones making the decision. Your medical records will be the most important factor at this stage of the game. If you do get rejected on your initial application and have to appeal then your only real option is social services, ie. welfare, food stamps and medacaid. Hope this helps.

#7 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,850 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 01:10 PM

Like john, if you have no income at the moment, you can file for welfare, food stamps and Medicaid. Even if you're staying with family, it doesn't affect your financial staus. Some of my friends are in a similar situation like you, living at home and have welfare. Of course, when your claim is approved, you will not be eligible for any of the servies except Medicade.
Sheepwoman
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#8 violetspike

violetspike

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 07:24 AM

Hello. It's great to hear that you have a good case worker! So someone at Social Security appointed a worker for you? I wonder if that is the same as having an attorney. I have just started the process myself for the second time. No matter how difficult or confussing it gets, keep going through with it (either appeal after denial or after the approved point). I was told from a Social Security Administrator that once you start and do not follow through, there is a date that says you can't keep on trying again, but my date is past due but the same person from Social Security Administration is still assisting me. It doesn't make sense but oh well. I've done an online report and had a partial telephone interview (she said she'd get most info from the online report I wrote). I will be needing to fill out and send more papers from time to time. I am in the process of getting an attorney. I just need to make up my mind and call back. Am hoping I choose one who is helpful.

There are two types of assistance- SSD and SSI. Social Security Administrators can also help you see if you are eligible for and apply for Welfare/Medicaid and Food Stamps as Sheepwoman said.

About medical reports, one may have a limited amount of info and accsess to medical files. It's up to them I believe (soccial security worker) to find more info from the phone, addresses about medical history that you give them.

It's cool that a number of people here are going through the process at the same time. I'll check in here once in a while.

Very Best Wishes to all!
Violet <3

Edited by violetspike, 14 September 2008 - 07:25 AM.

Posted Image

#9 john1157

john1157

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 10:47 AM

Violetspike, everyone is assigned a caseworker, they are just the person assigned to your case to make sure that all of the paperwork is filled out properly and to obtain all the medical records. They are merely acting as a secretary making sure all the paperwork is in order. They are not attorneys or advocates on your case, they are not the ones who decide your case nor to they have any influence on the outcome of your case. As far as the time limits go there are time limits on all steps in the process, if your initial claim is denied you only have a certain amount of time to appeal ( I forget if it's 60 or 90 days), but there are time constraints on virtually every step of the process. If you miss the date to appeal you have to start all over again which will probably get you the same result you got on the first attempt. Get a lawyer that specializes in SSDI cases if you need to appeal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users