• Announcements

• Lindsay

National Mental Health Awareness Month, 2016   05/01/2016

Proclamation 9433 of April 28, 2016 National Mental Health Awareness Month, 2016 A Proclamation Nearly 44 million American adults, and millions of children, experience mental health conditions each year, including depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and post-traumatic stress. Although we have made progress expanding mental health coverage and elevating the conversation about mental health, too many people still do not get the help they need. Our Nation is founded on the belief that we must look out for one another—and whether it affects our family members, friends, co-workers, or those unknown to us—we do a service for each other when we reach out and help those struggling with mental health issues. This month, we renew our commitment to ridding our society of the stigma associated with mental illness, encourage those living with mental health conditions to get the help they need, and reaffirm our pledge to ensure those who need help have access to the support, acceptance, and resources they deserve. In the last 7 years, our country has made extraordinary progress in expanding mental health coverage for more people across America. The Affordable Care Act prohibits insurance companies from discriminating against people based on pre-existing conditions, requires coverage of mental health and substance use disorder services in individual and small group markets, and expands mental health and substance use disorder parity policies, which are estimated to help more than 60 million Americans. Nearly 15 million more Americans have gained Medicaid coverage since October 2013, significantly improving access to mental health care. And because of more than $100 million in funding from the Affordable Care Act, community health centers have expanded behavioral health services for nearly 900,000 people nationwide over the past 2 years. Still, far too few Americans experiencing mental illnesses do not receive the care and treatment they need. That is why my most recent Budget proposal includes a new half-billion dollar investment to improve access to mental health care, engage individuals with serious mental illness in care, and help ensure behavioral health care systems work for everyone. Our Nation has made strong advances in improving prevention, increasing early intervention, and expanding treatment of mental illnesses. Earlier this year, I established a Mental Health and Substance Use Disorder Parity Task Force, which aims to ensure that coverage for mental health benefits is comparable to coverage for medical and surgical care, improve understanding of the requirements of the law, and expand compliance with it. Mental health should be treated as part of a person's overall health, and we must ensure individuals living with mental health conditions can get the treatment they need. My Administration also continues to invest in science and research through the BRAIN initiative to enhance our understanding of the complexities of the human brain and to make it easier to diagnose and treat mental health disorders early. One of our most profound obligations as a Nation is to support the men and women in uniform who return home and continue fighting battles against mental illness. Last year, I signed the Clay Hunt SAV Act, which fills critical gaps in serving veterans with post-traumatic stress and other illnesses, increases peer support and outreach, and recruits more talented individuals to work on mental health issues at the Department of Veterans Affairs. This law will make it easier for veterans to get the care they need when they need it. All Americans, including service members, can get immediate assistance by calling the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK or by calling 1-800-662-HELP. During National Mental Health Awareness Month, we recognize those Americans who live with mental illness and substance use disorders, and we pledge solidarity with their families who need our support as well. Let us strive to ensure people living with mental health conditions know that they are not alone, that hope exists, and that the possibility of healing and thriving is real. Together, we can help everyone get the support they need to recover as they continue along the journey to get well. NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim May 2016 as National Mental Health Awareness Month. I call upon citizens, government agencies, organizations, health care providers, and research institutions to raise mental health awareness and continue helping Americans live longer, healthier lives. IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this twenty-eighth day of April, in the year of our Lord two thousand sixteen, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and fortieth.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dragsum

Mixing Vyvance And Adderall Xr

7 posts in this topic

Posted

I guess I prolly should have asked my doc first, but I am mixing adderall and vyvance now. I wanted to try and switch to vyvance and see how it substittued for adderall, but I barely notice anything. I have a high tolerance for these meds it seems- adderall xr 20mgs only seems to last in my system for like 1-2 hours and I barely notice it if I take 20mg, so I would usually take 40mg. For a few days now I have taken one or two adderalls a few hours after taking 70 mg vyvance. Today I took one of each pill together and had a reasonable effect. Then I took 40mg more of adderall like 6 hours later and now I feel really wierd, and anxious, somewhat paranoid. Im thinking I prolly should be more careful with these drugs. Anyone have any input?

You might also be interested in:

Posted

Hi Dragsum,

You guess correctly about asking your doc 1st! Since you didn't, I'm wondering how you are able to get your hands on vyvanse? Personally, I think for you to be playing doctor with your meds is playing with fire. What you don't know can have serious repercussions, that's why our docs have MD after their name.

In my ignorant brain, I'm betting that you are in an overdose mode. Adderall XR at 40mgs is top of the line for that med. And Vyvanse, which is also a stimulant like Adderall, has its maximum dosage at 70 mgs.

I highly recommend you stop one of these right away. Personally I would stop the Vyvance. I suspect that your blood pressure may be up right now also. You might have yourself in a serious situation right now.

I actually think you may want to give your hospital a call, or whoever your insurance provider has on call. Most health insurance companies have an RN or some knowledgable person on hand, just so you can ask if you are at physical serious risk right now, as you just may well be.

I take AdderallXR at 40 mgs daily as well. I also take 10 mgs of Adderall fast acting 1st thing in the am just to hopefully wake me up enough to take the rest of my meds. AND, I even take a middle range dose of Strattera, to help with the ADHD. But Strattera is not a stimulant, so I am not at risk. AdderallXR is not long lasting, it is true, but complimenting it with a 2nd stimulant is not good either. I can pretty much tell you exactly the time of day that the Adderall leaves my system. But at the time of day that it does, if I was to take another dose, I'd be up later than til 3 am like I am now. I heard a rumor that the wizards are working on a "patch" for Adderall that is supposedly going to solve that wear off problem. But until they do, call someone now!

Good luck,

A.T.

PS: I see we are both Schweitzer fans

Posted

Thank you for your reply Always Trying

Well, it seems as though I survived my little ordeal. I have a very high tolerance for drugs in my system- I think that is because I use to be an abuser back in the day. My little ordeal today was seriously rough though, I had very intense anxiety omg, so I won't be doing that again. But seriously, I barely notice any of these stimulants working in me anymore. I can take 80mg of adderall XR in a day and not even come close to the effect that 20mg used to have on me.

I'm not sure what to do. I even took 2x 70mg vyvanse in a day once just to see the effects (doses spaced 5 hours apart), and after I did that it began to feel as if I took 40mg of adderall Xr. I read somewhere that 70mg vyvanse= about 30mg adderall, but I can't be sure. But I'm seeing my doc this tues to talk to him about this stuff.

But anyone reading this, don't do what I did and mix these drugs. It made me feel very weird, its like I wasn't controlling myself, as if I was completely spaced out, yet I was still there, and REALLY bad anxiety.

Posted

Hi Dragsum,

I'm so relieved to hear from you. You do know that there are many choices these days for the ADHD med's. Clearly it isn't working for you. But that's the MD's job. I'm glad that you have an appt made.

Best of luck to you<

AT

Posted

Vyanase is suppose to be comming out in higher doeses it may even be out alreadly like you some days it doesn't help much.

Posted

First off I would like to mention that Adderall XR is totally different than Vyvanse because it contains 4 different types of amphetamines and Vyvanse only contains Dextroamphetamine. You are mistaking the physical euphoria and buzzing positive feeling that you experience in the first 2 hours for indication that the drug is still working. That buzzing feeling is from the racemic amphetamines in the Adderal. What you're not noticing is that after that feeling wears off the other amphetamines are still working to give you improved concentration and the ability to focus and stay on task.

Vyvanse contains Lisdexamphetamine which becomes dextroamphetamine in your liver and then helps (like Adderall) to improve focus, concentration and ability to stay on task. Dextroamphetamine is much smoother feeling than the racemic amphetamine you are feeling when Adderall first kicks in and provides that buzzing euphoria.

I've struggled with this too because I missed that speedy feeling when I switched from my Adderall XR to Vyvanse and I thought it was'nt working at all.

Just give the Vyvanse a couple of months and you will start to tune in to that feeling of being "in the zone". Vyvanse is really good because it causes much less anxiety and a less painful comedown than Adderall XR.

Don't get me wrong, Adderall XR is a very powerful and effective treatment option for ADHD/ADD.

Mixing the two together sounds very interesting. Some people are prescribed Vyvanse in the morning and then Adderall IR tablets to take in the afternoon as a "booster" to extend the duration of symptom coverage into the evening hours.

I experimented with mixing Dextroamphetamine with my Ritalin and that was very euphoric and reminded my of how I felt on Adderall.

Being an ex-drug abuser I can understand your experimenting and there is no need to beat yourself up over it or explain yourself to others, it wasn't going to **** you or anything dramatic like that (meth addicts use hundreds of milligrams of speed per line and don't die from it unless they have a heart condition etc..)

Don't ever tell your doctor what you did or you will surely be cut off of stimulant meds. I think you learned your lesson when you experienced the anxiety attacks that can accompany high doses of pharmaceutical grade amphetamines. You can also experience hallucinations if you take so much at one time that you become psychotic. I know because I've been to that place before and it was pretty bad when my I started to hear many different voices coming from my ceiling fan and the speed demons paid me a little visit! So please try to be a little more responsible with your meds because if you abuse them you always run out too soon and have to go ADD untraeted for weeks before your next refill, that sucks man!

Peace ! :hearts:

Posted

On 9/5/2008 at 6:36 PM, dragsum said:

I guess I prolly should have asked my doc first, but I am mixing adderall and vyvance now. I wanted to try and switch to vyvance and see how it substittued for adderall, but I barely notice anything. I have a high tolerance for these meds it seems- adderall xr 20mgs only seems to last in my system for like 1-2 hours and I barely notice it if I take 20mg, so I would usually take 40mg. For a few days now I have taken one or two adderalls a few hours after taking 70 mg vyvance. Today I took one of each pill together and had a reasonable effect. Then I took 40mg more of adderall like 6 hours later and now I feel really wierd, and anxious, somewhat paranoid. Im thinking I prolly should be more careful with these drugs. Anyone have any input?

You can always take less of the med.  I take vyvanse 40mg, with 20mg of adderall in the afternoon cause of how long my days tend to run. You are just taking way too much stim. They are literally the same chemical.