Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Celexa And Heart Rate

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Hayley325

Hayley325

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 06:59 PM

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I just started Celexa (day 5). It's the 2nd AD I've tried...Effexor was the first and caused a heart rate increase of between 20 to 30 beats per minute. I was only on it for 5 weeks and even after 4 weeks of withdrawal my heart rate was still up by about 10-15 beats per minute. I'm a runner (semi competitively I'd say) and obviously this negatively affects my ability to run... and running is the one thing that helps me feel alive and happy so it's not something I want to give up.

Just looking for experience with Celexa. I know a few websites have claimed a slight decrease in heart rate. I checked my HR today and it seems to be the same so far, but I guess there is just more of an "awareness" of my heart beating...it doesn't feel good and I'm a bit paranoid that the same thing will happen.

Can anybody relate?

Thanks,
Hayley

#2 HopefulOne

HopefulOne

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,414 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:41 PM

Welcome to DF, Hayley. :hearts:

I understand what you're describing. Your description of the "awareness" of your heart beating is the clencher... It feels like a pronounced pounding, right? Like your heart will beat right out of your chest? (Or worse, produce a heart attack?) These are palpitations and are a standard side effect of anti-depressants. And yes, they can be alarming! But try to relax. Many people experience an increase in anxiety when starting an AD. Your palpitations may be a function of anxiety -- they often go hand-in-hand. Palps are largely sensation and nothing to be overly frightened of.

I had palpitations with both Celexa and Lexapro during my adjustment periods on both. Once I had acclimated to each medication, the awareness of the pounding (and the perceived quickening of my pulse) subsided. I also experienced a slight increase in blood pressure in the beginning. That too has stabilized and I'm back to my "normal" baseline. For me, it took about 12 weeks for the palps to pass. Keep an eye on them and don't hesitate to consult your doc if they become too disconcerting (or if you notice a truly high, uncharacteristic heart rate -- i.e. over 100 beats/min.). Hopefully they'll pass sooner than later! I found Celexa to be a very effective AD for anxiety and depression. Hang in there.

Best to you,
HopefulOne

#3 Hayley325

Hayley325

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 07:08 AM

Thanks HopefulOne.....man I don't know what I'd do without these forums...it helps immensely to know that you're not alone and others have experienced what you are experiencing.

Yeah, you nailed it...I guess heart palps is what it is! 12 weeks?? Sheesh! I just hope I start feeling less depressed soon...that'll start to make up for it!

Thanks again.

#4 HopefulOne

HopefulOne

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,414 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 08:43 AM

You may acclimate to Celexa sooner, Hayley! :hearts: Everyone's experiences vary -- my most recent build up on Lexapro was a difficult one.

Wishing you a speedy (and smoother!) adjustment period...

Best,
HopefulOne

#5 Dooin' it

Dooin' it

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 12:12 AM

Just another backup on the "you're good" front.

I'm a wannabe runner getting back into it lately and have had ZERO problems running on Lexapro....(and before that, Celexa for that matter either).

I'm no special physical specimen and am even about 20lbs overweight right now and in just a few weeks I've got my resting heart rate down around 60 and my bp yesterday was 117/75. And, yes, I occasionally feel the heart palps, too.

I always tell folks (depressed or otherwise), if they can run.......they SHOULD run!!! Treat yourself to some comfy running shoes, stay off the concrete and RUN!!!

:hearts:
Isaiah 54:17a "No weapon forged against you will succeed;"

I Peter 5: 6,7 "Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety upon Him for he cares for you."

Recommended reading........"Feeling Good; The New Mood Therapy" by Dr. David Burns

#6 Silver_wlf

Silver_wlf

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 06:36 AM

I'm a triathlete. I haven't noticed any difference in heart rate or performance since I started taking Celexa.

I am, however, very anxious about my health and I totally understand your concern.

#7 Hayley325

Hayley325

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 07:57 PM

Hi everybody,

Thanks for the responses. I think I may be one of these people who's heart rate is affected by any type of SSRI. And yeah...it's kind of important to me...I had wanted to qualify for the Boston Marathon next month but that just ain't gonna happen now.

Today is Day 11 of Celexa and it's been great in terms of little to no side effects, but there must have been a lag time with the increase in heart rate. Mine's definitely up now. I can still run, but I get winded very easily...lactic acid threshold is shifted...I just can't run the same paces. My HR isn't as high as on effexor but then I was on 150mg effexor and 20 mg Celexa.

I must say I have been feeling more anxious and shy on Celexa though...

Guess I will be looking into other options besides SSRIs...if anyone has suggestions for options to look into...please let me know!

Thanks again.
Hayley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users