Advertisement

Registration/Login Issues

If you are experiencing any problems regarding registration or logging-in to your account subsequent to our recent upgrades, then please contact dfadmin@depressionforums.org. Thank you, and happy holidays!

• No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Mirtazapine And Irritability??

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 catgirl

catgirl

Just Registered

ID: 28500

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:01 AM

Can anyone tell me if Mirtazapine is supposed to help irritability? Because I am so IRRITABLE ALL THE TIME! I thought I would feel less this way on this med, but it's just as bad. Depression is still there and so is some anxiety. I'm driving my poor hubby nuts with my crabbiness! Am I on the wrong medicine? IS there anything for being irritable?? I take 1/2 Ambien at night to sleep, and take 15 mg of Mirtazapine at night also. But I wake up sometimes every hour, but can pretty much fall asleep again most times. I tried 30 mg of Mirtazapine, but got even crabbier! I also have Hep C which might contribute to the crabbiness, but I have never had symptoms from it. Can anyone recommend a "happy" pill LOL? I can't even stand myself anymore! :hearts:

#2 Rahul

Rahul

ID: 25593

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 02:39 PM

Can anyone tell me if Mirtazapine is supposed to help irritability? Because I am so IRRITABLE ALL THE TIME! I thought I would feel less this way on this med, but it's just as bad. Depression is still there and so is some anxiety. I'm driving my poor hubby nuts with my crabbiness! Am I on the wrong medicine? IS there anything for being irritable?? I take 1/2 Ambien at night to sleep, and take 15 mg of Mirtazapine at night also. But I wake up sometimes every hour, but can pretty much fall asleep again most times. I tried 30 mg of Mirtazapine, but got even crabbier! I also have Hep C which might contribute to the crabbiness, but I have never had symptoms from it. Can anyone recommend a "happy" pill LOL? I can't even stand myself anymore! :hearts:

I think you should try some other drug.
I'm not a doctor or a health professional and any advice in my post is purely my personal opinion and anecdotal.

Dx: MDD
Rx: 10 mg escitalopram + 15mg mitrazapine + 20 mg chlordiazepoxide (all
at bedtime)

#3 Miss Mouse

Miss Mouse

ID: 23695

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 04:35 PM

I'm 15 mg too and I am still having problems sleeping. I wake up 3 or 4 times during the night. I am crabby as well but I think that has to do with my back problems. This has been the worst summer I have ever had. My back has kept me from doing anything and that has increased my anxiety and depression.

Have you asked your doctor for maybe some Valium or xanx? Very addictive but might help you cope when things feel real explosive... :hearts:

#4 Sir Hamster

Sir Hamster

Just Registered

ID: 70614

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:44 AM

Realise this is an old thread, but it was helpful to me recently.

Two weeks ago I started a course of 15 mg of Mirtazapine. I'd been going through a very difficult time at work, to the point where I've had to find another job (I'm off work until December), and wasn't sleeping at all well. I've also been having relationship problems with my partner of 15 years (we've been in counselling). Lots of crying, lots of unhelpful thoughts. The Mirtazapine helped me to sleep -- rather too well, in fact. Thirteen hours the first night! And it would take me most of the morning to come around. More than this, though, I've become very irritable, particularly toward my poor wife. At times, it's felt like I've taken on the personality of somebody else, an explosion waiting to happen. Rather a high price to pay for a night's sleep.

I went to see my GP yesterday, wondering whether upping the dose to 30 mg might make things better (as many here have suggested). "If you're sleeping 13 hours a day with 15 mg, then 30 mg is only going to make things worse," he said. "You'll probably find it a struggle to get up for work in the morning." On his advice, I had half a 15 mg tablet last night and that's going to be it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users