Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Going Off Pristiq Cold Turkey

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#1 bill2009

bill2009

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 05:20 AM

Hello All. I am a new member. I've read several posts about pristiq.
most are similar. the company and the physicians are encouraging
the use of pristiq because...well, ok, no sarcasm about the manufactuer
and the patent and so on.

no more samples of Effexor XR available. many health plans not covering Effexor
until it goes generic. the same old song and dance basically.

ok, I don't like pristiq. I cannot afford to go back to effexor, too late.
I would like to go cold turkey from pristiq, and I was curious if
there was anyone on the forum who has done this.

or...has someone you know gone off pritiq succsessfully without
major traumatic consequences?

any feedback is much appreciated. thanks!

Bill

Edited by bill2009, 03 September 2008 - 05:22 AM.

#2 vin1382

vin1382

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 02:53 PM

Bill

how long have you been on either pristiq or effexor?

#3 bill2009

bill2009

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 01:09 AM

Bill

EffexorXR 3 years, no problems...

Pristiq, 3 months, not really the neatest antidepressant I have ever tried.

sorry it took so long to answer you by the way. one of those weeks. many
unplanned excursions into adversity and several excercises in futility. or,
just a busy week :)

so, what's the prognosis? can I just 'BIN' this stuff, to coin a british
colloquialism?

#4 vin1382

vin1382

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 06:19 PM

Bill

colloquialism?

Ehh, I'd really doubt it. There are probably SOME people that could(doesn't depend on will power but your chemical makeup), but considering you have been on effexor for 3 years which converts to pristiq in your body anyway, and now on pristiq for 3 months, your likely going to have some withdrawals which will be very unpleasant especially cold turkey. I am not even sure if they have a protocol of getting people off pristiq yet. I don't think it comes in anything less then 50 mg. I'd go to a psych and see what he thinks about you coming off of it. If theres no way to go back on Effexor, then you have 2 choices. you can cold turkey it or cut it down SLOWLY(using a pill cutter) and try to come off all anti-depressants period, or you can try and transition onto another srni like cymbalta or wellbutrin or maybe even an ssri like paxil/lexapro. That will be up to your discretion and what you were using effexor for originally. coming off any of these drugs can be a mess even if the transition is to another of the same family. Best advice I can give you is go SLOW. good luck and post back your experience.

#5 bill2009

bill2009

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 11:50 PM

Bill

colloquialism?

Ehh, I'd really doubt it. There are probably SOME people that could(doesn't depend on will power but your chemical makeup), but considering you have been on effexor for 3 years which converts to pristiq in your body anyway, and now on pristiq for 3 months, your likely going to have some withdrawals which will be very unpleasant especially cold turkey. I am not even sure if they have a protocol of getting people off pristiq yet. I don't think it comes in anything less then 50 mg. I'd go to a psych and see what he thinks about you coming off of it. If theres no way to go back on Effexor, then you have 2 choices. you can cold turkey it or cut it down SLOWLY(using a pill cutter) and try to come off all anti-depressants period, or you can try and transition onto another srni like cymbalta or wellbutrin or maybe even an ssri like paxil/lexapro. That will be up to your discretion and what you were using effexor for originally. coming off any of these drugs can be a mess even if the transition is to another of the same family. Best advice I can give you is go SLOW. good luck and post back your experience.

thanks for the note. I guess I'm ok. I'll just take the rat poison for now. allegedly, it is
supposed to do the same thing as effexor. when effexor becomes available as generic,
I can go back on it. but, as far as my doc goes (shrink actually) I doubt he will want me
to wean off or cold turkey any antidepressant while I am still on anti anxiety meds.
frankly, I don't see ever getting off those.

I seem to be more irritable and prone to great anger since taking pristiq. but to be
fair and as scientific about it as I PERSONALLY am prolly ever gonna get...I'm not
cranky and PO'd every day. and some things 'have' changed in my life coincidentally
at the same time as the switch from effexor to pristiq.

so, considering that neither anti anxiety meds OR antidepressants are a panacea(s) or
even slightly prescribed for being PO'd at various people/circumstances, in all liklihood
the pristiq is fine. who knows?

I'm ok right now. anyway, thanks again. I will keep an eye on this thread and this forum.
be well,

Bill

#6 Charles08

Charles08

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 12:05 PM

Hi Bill,

I've been taking 50mg a day pristiq now for about 3 months and it has seems to level me out but I hate the side effects. I had been on 2 anti-depressents before. about 5 years ago I went on zoloft for about 6 months after a death in the family and a year ago I went on Wellbutrin because of stress and irritabilty and took it for about 5 months. I stopped taking Wellbutrin cold turkey 7 months ago and have been fine. I was in to see my doctor on an unrelated issue when we started talking about my stress at work, irritability, etc,etc, and he asked how I liked the Wellbutrin. I told him I thought it was just OK and that I really didnt think it made much of a difference and I stopped it long ago. I asked if there was anything new that would help me not be so cranky and apathetic towards life in general and help with being moody sometimes....... He prescribed 50mg pristiq.

I decided on my own to stop taking it because I didnt like the sexual side effects it gave me. It desensitized the sensation during sex and made it take forever to orgasm. I also seem to clinch my jaw since being on this stuff and my jaw aches sometimes. I didnt do any research and didnt know that there would be side effects from stopping. My side effects included "no" patients with anything, irritability and being confrontational and angry that peaked after the 5th day of quitting.

I started taking it again on day 6 and it took 2 weeks to get back level. Im stopping this stuff and this is what lead me to this forum. I want it out of my system. I now see that pristiq is generally priscribed for major adult depression. If I need someting to level me it will be wellbutrin.

I didnt take one today and Im going to cut one in half (which is not recommended) and take that tomorrow and then take the other half 2 days after that and thats...that for pristiq. Understanding now that there are serious side effects I will be able to see them coming and hopefully "keep my mouth closed and smile" and attempt to control them and how I respond to the world during my weaning from pristiq.

I let you know how it goes.

Edited by Charles08, 15 September 2008 - 12:14 PM.

#7 BentAndTwisted

BentAndTwisted

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:39 AM

until it goes generic.
Bill

What about the non extened release venlafaxine HCl ?

#8 bill2009

bill2009

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 04:42 AM

until it goes generic.
Bill

What about the non extened release venlafaxine HCl ?

well...I don't know. good idea!! last time I checked, it was still not
available as generic in the USA. but, I could be wrong.

I'll ask my doctor about it. he's kinda funny...( a requirement for
being a doctor. one must past 'funny'101 before going on to pompous
advanced)

funny ha ha sometimes. but I meant funny like, don't ask him
about changing meds...you know doctors. eh.....

it is a good idea. it would allow me to SOME day get off effexor
and would be an immediate stepping stone off pristiq. the effexor XR
is also near impossible to taper from. same as pristiq, though I think I
could do it if I really need to.

here's what I wonder...I had no negative side effects from effexor. but,
I feel kinda cranky, short tempered with pristiq. I thought they were the same.

I don't get it! thanks for the note :)

#9 bill2009

bill2009

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 04:49 AM

Hi Bill,

I've been taking 50mg a day pristiq now for about 3 months and it has seems to level me out but I hate the side effects. I had been on 2 anti-depressents before. about 5 years ago I went on zoloft for about 6 months after a death in the family and a year ago I went on Wellbutrin because of stress and irritabilty and took it for about 5 months. I stopped taking Wellbutrin cold turkey 7 months ago and have been fine. I was in to see my doctor on an unrelated issue when we started talking about my stress at work, irritability, etc,etc, and he asked how I liked the Wellbutrin. I told him I thought it was just OK and that I really didnt think it made much of a difference and I stopped it long ago. I asked if there was anything new that would help me not be so cranky and apathetic towards life in general and help with being moody sometimes....... He prescribed 50mg pristiq.

I decided on my own to stop taking it because I didnt like the sexual side effects it gave me. It desensitized the sensation during sex and made it take forever to orgasm. I also seem to clinch my jaw since being on this stuff and my jaw aches sometimes. I didnt do any research and didnt know that there would be side effects from stopping. My side effects included "no" patients with anything, irritability and being confrontational and angry that peaked after the 5th day of quitting.

I started taking it again on day 6 and it took 2 weeks to get back level. Im stopping this stuff and this is what lead me to this forum. I want it out of my system. I now see that pristiq is generally priscribed for major adult depression. If I need someting to level me it will be wellbutrin.

I didnt take one today and Im going to cut one in half (which is not recommended) and take that tomorrow and then take the other half 2 days after that and thats...that for pristiq. Understanding now that there are serious side effects I will be able to see them coming and hopefully "keep my mouth closed and smile" and attempt to control them and how I respond to the world during my weaning from pristiq.

>>>I didnt take one today and Im going to cut one in half (which is not recommended) and take that tomorrow and then take the other half 2 days after that and thats...that for pristiq. Understanding now that there are serious side effects I will be able to see them coming and hopefully "keep my mouth closed and smile" and attempt to control them and how I respond to the world during my weaning from pristiq<<<

mouth closed and smile huh? .....well, worth a shot I guess. so you think the pristiq is making you
irritable? and causing the sexual side effects? ok...but you didn't take effexor? so, we have no way
of knowing if effexor would or would not have cause the same bugaboos..

everyone is different...well, supposedly :)

I like the scene in Life Of Brian where Brian is talking to the masses out his window
"You're ALL Individuals!" and a guy in the crowd says "I'm not" lol!!

thanks for the post!

#10 bill2009

bill2009

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 04:17 AM

Hi Bill,

Hi Charles 08, I was just checking to see how you are doing with the pristiq. myself, I am still taking it.
I am not extremely delighted with my doctor. he's a little snippy about doing things that were not his
idea. seems to think pristiq is all that and a bag of chips. I think it is not. still taking it anyway, and
basically white knuckling it thru the day. I have a lot of irritability, anger and frustration. it seems like
the stuff just aint helping. how is it going for you?

#11 lucysgonemad

lucysgonemad

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 06:59 PM

Hi Bill,

Hi Charles 08, I was just checking to see how you are doing with the pristiq. myself, I am still taking it.
I am not extremely delighted with my doctor. he's a little snippy about doing things that were not his
idea. seems to think pristiq is all that and a bag of chips. I think it is not. still taking it anyway, and
basically white knuckling it thru the day. I have a lot of irritability, anger and frustration. it seems like

I know this has been posted for awhile, but I'am currently on pristiq, I was dignosed iwth clinical depression at the age of12 and am quite educated in doctor full of themselves 101. I would as a veteran of the medical war reccomend a new doctor. Its your body and You choose what to do with it, he is a tool to help guide you and if what he is doing is hindering, trade him in, because I highly doubt he gives a rats butt about you. I've been on and off anti depressants for years and if your thinking about taking welbutrin or prozac, sspeaking from personal experience please dont. My mother has been on it for 15 yrs and now she cant function with out it, I actually went to her doctor and he attempted to give it to me for mine so I tried it and I hated it, everyone is different, but I know from experience how bad these drugs can really be, but when you have a chemical imbalance sometimes you cant help it. So far I'am liking pristiq better than all the medications, but sometimes the side effects of thesse meds can be just as bad as not taking them at all. I'am going to reccomend something that has and is helping to change my life, its the lucinda basset program for people with anxiety and depression, I suffer heavily from both, but this program has given me hope and taught me new skills on how to cope with my problems, they send you a sample tape, trust me just try the sample, I have yet to meet anyone from this program that hasn't benefited greatly. I've accepted the fact that I'am probably going to have to deal with these issues for the rest of my life, sometimes with and sometimes without medication, but I'am living a better life because of what I've learned from it.

#12 bill2009

bill2009

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 11:51 PM

Hi Bill,

I know this has been posted for awhile, but I'am currently on pristiq, I was dignosed iwth clinical depression at the age of12 and am quite educated in doctor full of themselves 101. I would as a veteran of the medical war reccomend a new doctor. Its your body and You choose what to do with it, he is a tool to help guide you and if what he is doing is hindering, trade him in, because I highly doubt he gives a rats butt about you. I've been on and off anti depressants for years and if your thinking about taking welbutrin or prozac, sspeaking from personal experience please dont. My mother has been on it for 15 yrs and now she cant function with out it, I actually went to her doctor and he attempted to give it to me for mine so I tried it and I hated it, everyone is different, but I know from experience how bad these drugs can really be, but when you have a chemical imbalance sometimes you cant help it. So far I'am liking pristiq better than all the medications, but sometimes the side effects of thesse meds can be just as bad as not taking them at all. I'am going to reccomend something that has and is helping to change my life, its the lucinda basset program for people with anxiety and depression, I suffer heavily from both, but this program has given me hope and taught me new skills on how to cope with my problems, they send you a sample tape, trust me just try the sample, I have yet to meet anyone from this program that hasn't benefited greatly. I've accepted the fact that I'am probably going to have to deal with these issues for the rest of my life, sometimes with and sometimes without medication, but I'am living a better life because of what I've learned from it.

Hi. I had a quac...sorry doctor give me prozac once. didn't take it long
and pitched the samples and stopped it cold turkey, which is I guess
not a big deal after a month. heard about wellbutrin. no thanks :)
and thanks for the tip! i already sussed that one out.

as for pristiq, am now used to it. it's "OK" I guess. and xanax and I
have a lot to keep me busy. I try to just not think about it all very much.

I have heard great things about lucinda basset and have been too lazy to
check it out. but thanks for the reminder. I will check it out. maybe I'll
buy the program for myself for X-Mas :)

thanks!

Bill

#13 Pigtails

Pigtails

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 11:32 AM

I have been on Pristiq for 5 months and decided that I wanted to go cold turkey,I have never been on anti-depresents before and asked my Doctor how would he reccomend me to do so!!.....he said that Pristiq is a slow release tab and that I could come of it anytime :hearts: without any symptoms..........well I did for 2 days and felt as sick as a dog, was he correct!

FYI Wal-mart seems to be the cheapest for 30days.

Edited by Pigtails, 25 February 2009 - 11:34 AM.

#14 LoonATiK

LoonATiK

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 01:37 PM

i haven't taken pristiq, but i took effexor. it made me throw up, so that was the end of that.

i've heard it's one of those that you really have to wean off of, and stopping cold turkey will make you sick and give you symptoms of withdraw.
Current cocktail: Abilify 30mg. Adderall XR 30mg, Lamictal 400mg, Wellbutrin 300mg, Lithium 1200mg

DX: BP1, ADHD, and PTSD

In tribute to my dad, BP1 suicide.

"She sits in a corner by the door...there must be more I can tell her. If she really wants me to help her, I'll do what I can to show her the way, and maybe one day I will free her. But I know, no one can see through her. Lisa, Lisa, sad Lisa, Lisa..."

-- Sad Lisa by Cat Stevens

#15 rafc

rafc

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 09:31 PM

Why can't you buy generic Venlafaxine XR online? Some of the top Indian Pharma companies make it mega cheap, e.g. Cipla, Sun Pharma, Torrent etc.

#16 FionaG

FionaG

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 05:56 PM

Hi Bill,

Charles08,

I have been taking Pristiq for a few months now and have had some of the same side effects as you. I found myself clinching my teeth, which lead to my jaw aching, ears hurting and headaches. I thought that my pain was caused from a sinus infection, so I had my doctor prescribe me a Z-Pac, that didn't work, so I thought it was because I had to have a filling replaced, so I did and that didn't work. The only thing I could think of was it was a side effect of Pristiq, so I just stopped taking it 3 days ago and just read your post today! I am SO happy to find someone else with that side effect...I was beginning to worry!

Are you still taking Pristiq? I tried to go cold turkey from Zoloft about a year ago and thought I was going to die! I literally stayed in bed for a full week! I felt awful from day one when I did that. I haven't felt great the last couple of days but it has been NOTHING like when I tried to get off of Zoloft.

I am curious to find out if you are still taking Pristiq and if not, how did you wean yourself off.

Thank you!

#17 SLB

SLB

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:59 PM

I'm trying to come off Pristiq and finding it aweful. I feel like I have gastro, same symptoms plus the brain shivers and dizzy. Can anyone recomend a way to wean? I'm trying one day on one day off as you can't half the pill. I've never felt sick coming off a medication. I've come off effexor before (10years ago) and it wasn't this bad... Thanks to anyone who can offer some advice.

Edited by SLB, 27 March 2009 - 08:00 PM.

#18 kellz

kellz

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 12:58 PM

I decided to quit 100mg/daily Pristiq by tapering down to 50mg, then zero. I completed that within a week.
I'm still having these real unpleasant sensations of my body falling forward and some kinda electric shock pinching me behind the eyes.
I'm eating food nonstop but the sexual side-effects are long gone. (thank goodness.)
its unpleasant, but i'm scared of that med. something about it is just.... not right, and i found myself drinking alcohol alot while on it.. something i never did previously.

i've been using promethazine to calm my jitters and nerves in the PM hours. It helps a little. If I had access to xanax, I'd imagine that would be better.
Good luck in getting off it.
I know Pristiq was thrown to me in a goodie bag....Wyeth reps had treated the office to an expensive lunch...nom nom.. sooo Dr. feels the need to push those packs, I guess. haha

#19 jpiden

jpiden

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 06:38 PM

Hello All,

I am currently "weaning" off of 50 mg Pristiq. I was prescribed for some situational depression involving relationship issues with friends and family. I have only been on it for about 6 months and started weaning yesterday. So far, im having the usual brain zaps, dizziness, and problems keeping my mind focused. I'm hoping to stick it out, since things at work are pretty easy going until mid April. My wife no doubt is waiting for storm. :hearts: I have taken Lexapro in the past to combat some pretty rough childhood issues. Withdrawing from that consisted of a pretty bad couple of weeks. I did taper for about a month, but that may have been a little quick.

Im trying to avoid the mood roller coaster by loading up on St. Johns Wort (I have my doubts about its effectiveness).

I am hoping for no more than a week of withdrawal symptoms before things begin to improve. I'll let you guys know how it goes. I wish there was at least a 25 mg dose I could take to taper off... :flowers:

Take care,

John

#20 jpiden

jpiden

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:58 AM

Hello All,

I am currently "weaning" off of 50 mg Pristiq. I was prescribed for some situational depression involving relationship issues with friends and family. I have only been on it for about 6 months and started weaning yesterday. So far, im having the usual brain zaps, dizziness, and problems keeping my mind focused. I'm hoping to stick it out, since things at work are pretty easy going until mid April. My wife no doubt is waiting for storm. :hearts: I have taken Lexapro in the past to combat some pretty rough childhood issues. Withdrawing from that consisted of a pretty bad couple of weeks. I did taper for about a month, but that may have been a little quick.

Im trying to avoid the mood roller coaster by loading up on St. Johns Wort (I have my doubts about its effectiveness).

I am hoping for no more than a week of withdrawal symptoms before things begin to improve. I'll let you guys know how it goes. I wish there was at least a 25 mg dose I could take to taper off... :flowers:

Take care,

John

Well, im on Day 3 of quitting 50 mg cold turkey...so far, the dizziness and mood swings have been pretty awful. Maybe its in my head, but the high dosage of St Johns Wort may be helping to stabilize my mood. Luckily the symptoms of withdraw haven't gotten worse...im just glad the weekend is coming soon and i'll have some time to relax outside of work...

#21 jpiden

jpiden

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:54 AM

Just an FYI, its been a little over a week and I am starting to finally feel pretty good...dizziness is about 90% gone. Im keeping myself busy with work and activities at home and so far am doing ok. Hope to be off this stuff for good!

#22 mysecretangel

mysecretangel

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:50 PM

Just an FYI, its been a little over a week and I am starting to finally feel pretty good...dizziness is about 90% gone. Im keeping myself busy with work and activities at home and so far am doing ok. Hope to be off this stuff for good!

Day 3 of coming off Pristiq and I wanted to die this morning! Rang my GP who said to take 50mg today - amazing how much better I feel this afternoon, however now I'm worried that I'm back where I started. If I don't take a pill for the next 2 days will I again get to the 3rd day and find myself a blubbering mess with brain zaps & shivers??

I've never, in 12 years of being medicated, ever had such awful side affects when coming off a med

Please let there be alight at the end of this tunnel

#23 lonleysindy

lonleysindy

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 11:36 PM

I would call your doc and ask him to set up a plan for you to make it easier, he may also give you something tempory to aleivate the withdrawl symtoms.

It is best to come of meds with a docs supervision.
Love Yourself, Like You've Never Been Loved Before
Accept Yourself, Good and Bad
Posted Image

#24 mysecretangel

mysecretangel

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 01:07 AM

I would call your doc and ask him to set up a plan for you to make it easier, he may also give you something tempory to aleivate the withdrawl symtoms.

Sorry I didn't explain clearly! This is all happening with my doctors supervision. I did forget to ask why is it you can't cut the Pristiq & have half a pill??

#25 anxious1

anxious1

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:27 AM

Sorry I didn't explain clearly! This is all happening with my doctors supervision. I did forget to ask why is it you can't cut the Pristiq & have half a pill??

sorry you are having such a hard time:-(
If the pristiq is extended release then if you cut the pill you run the risk of getting way to much medication which can lead to big problems. the coating is there to release a certian amount of the meds at certian time during the day.

hope that helps. best of luck!

#26 jen234

jen234

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 01:04 AM

Every time I come off of Pristiq I become nauseous, I throw up, and I get severe heart palpitations. Haven't made it off it long enough yet to see what happens after that...I become so sick and I can't function that I inevitably end up going back on it again just to make the side effects stop. It's miserable. I take 50 mgs.
  • Phoenix1 likes this

#27 katinahat

katinahat

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 06:18 PM

I was on Pristiq for a month and a half. I finally got fed up with the sexual side effects so I just stopped taking it. It has been 9 days so far. The first day off I had to run to the bathroom a lot. I was short tempered and moody. The 2nd-4th day were about as bad and had me thinking I should get back on it. The 5th-7th days were much better. I am back to "normal" with a shorter temper, less patience, irritable, etc. I struggled with anxiety mostly and racing thoughts. I loved how calm Pristiq made me feel and how it just quieted me and made me feel "normal." However, the sexual side effect was something I really hated. I had no sensations almost at all. Anyway, I still have a month and a half of medication here and I will start back on it if I feel I can't cope. That is my story and my two cents. I have never been on medication like this before so I have nothing to compare it to.
  • Phoenix1 likes this

#28 Ronald

Ronald

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 11:11 AM

Hi Bill,

I don't think you should ever cut a pristiq in half because its time release. I am cutting back to one pill every other day to see if I can maintain the good effects, and minimize the jaw clenching that is getting rather unpleasant. Would like to hear from others who are taking a lower dosage, too.

Ronald

#29 csuter

csuter

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 08:35 PM

I'm on my second week of going off Pristiq and it isn't fun.

I was on Pristiq for about 2 years and for the 5 years before that I was on Zoloft and then Lexapro.

About a month ago my prescriber gave me instructions on how to taper off of Pristiq, including telling me NOT to cut the pills. Last week I started skipping a day between doses but on the fifth day I decided to stretch it and see if I could go three days without a dose because the dizziness and brain-zaps caused by coming off the drug were so strong and I didn't want to repeat them. That three days ago, so I've gone four days without a dose. I'm still pretty spacey, my brain is fuzzy, I can feel it when I blink, and swoon when I close my eyes but I can still function (it's Monday and I told my co-workers that I have a headache, which I don't, and apologized ahead of time if I got grouchy).

I'm interested to see how long it will take for the symptoms to go away and what it will be like to go without.
  • Phoenix1 likes this

#30 bec09

bec09

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 11:32 PM

Bill

hi,

im on day 6 of quitting pristiq

ive chopped my pills in half for the 1st 4 days then only took 1/4 for the next 2.
the only side effect ive had is a little dizzines today( which is wat brought me here
  • Phoenix1 likes this

#31 Guest_iowa_*

Guest_iowa_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2009 - 12:01 AM

Bec09, Pristiq is time release so it is never recommended to cut pills as different parts of the pill have different amounts of substances. Please be careful!
Iowa

#32 suziee

suziee

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:56 PM

Hi- yes I just got off pristiq totally after taking it for 4 months.
The manuf. says not to cut the pills but I did. You can- it's just that the manuf. can't guarantee the dosage (and obviously doesn't want to be liable for you not keeping track of how much you have taken and when. It is a time release pill so that there's no spike in full pill form, but there isn't a lower daily dosage than the 50mg pill.
I chopped them into 1/4 and took two quarters only. 1 quarter twice per day (1/2 pill total). (usually by the afternoon when I'd feel the crappiest.. I'd get a headache, then take 1/4 and the headache would go) then the other 1/4 daybreak or bedtime.
Anyway- this was working really well up until about the 7 day- ( I had been planning on 2 or 3 weeks weaning) however I noticed something flipped, and I'd have 'blackout or headache after I took the pill'. So I stopped taking it altogether and was totally fine after that. Seems the body either wanted on or off, but not both.
So that was it. And I feel really good now.
But make sure you consult your doctor before stopping any medication, and report any suicidal thoughts immediately.

Mostly- as you go off- pay close attention to what your body is trying to tell you.

Bill

hi,

im on day 6 of quitting pristiq

ive chopped my pills in half for the 1st 4 days then only took 1/4 for the next 2.
the only side effect ive had is a little dizzines today( which is wat brought me here

• Phoenix1 likes this

#33 HB GIRL

HB GIRL

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:00 PM

Hi. I just found this forum. I have been on Prestiq for six weeks and am ready to wean off. I've been taking it every other day for about 10 days and am feeling terrible.
Can you explain to me what "Brain Shivers" and "Brain Zaps" are?

I, too, went to the doctor on saturday and he gave me come Calvamox for sinusitis.
I have been sick to my stomach and the whole IBS thing. I'm not sure If I'm sick to my stomach because of weaning off or the sinus draining.
It is terrible. I have been getting dizzy and headaches.

five years ago, I was on Wellbutrin for about 6 weeks. I got off of that with no problem.
I haven't found the sexual side effects to be that bad and I do think "sex" is very important.

So, to sum it up, I'm not sure if I'm dizzy from the weaning off or the sinusitis.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say, it's the Prestiq.
Please, HELP!!

Edited by HB GIRL, 24 August 2009 - 11:04 PM.

#34 ribosome77

ribosome77

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 02:15 AM

Hi. I just found this forum. I have been on Prestiq for six weeks and am ready to wean off. I've been taking it every other day for about 10 days and am feeling terrible.
Can you explain to me what "Brain Shivers" and "Brain Zaps" are?

I, too, went to the doctor on saturday and he gave me come Calvamox for sinusitis.
I have been sick to my stomach and the whole IBS thing. I'm not sure If I'm sick to my stomach because of weaning off or the sinus draining.
It is terrible. I have been getting dizzy and headaches.

five years ago, I was on Wellbutrin for about 6 weeks. I got off of that with no problem.
I haven't found the sexual side effects to be that bad and I do think "sex" is very important.

So, to sum it up, I'm not sure if I'm dizzy from the weaning off or the sinusitis.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say, it's the Prestiq.
Please, HELP!!

Did your doctor tell you to wean off by taking it every other day? To me, this does not seem a good way to wean off. Pristiq has relatively short half-life of around 11 hours. Your going from one day off full dose to the next day close to 0 dose, then back to full dose. It's no wonder you feel terrible, you're not weaning your yoyo'ing. If you chose this method , stop doing it, continue taking the prescribed dose, and see a professional for the correct way to wean. If your doctor chose this method, i'd suggest a new doctor. You can get away with the every other day method with long half-life drugs like prozac, but not this one.

I think Brain Zaps are analogous to Turning off an old tube television set off and back on quickly. Your vision and train of thought zaps out and back in like this. Brain Shivers might be related, but might more drawn out and perhaps have an additional physical goosebump like feeling in your head. These can be confused with or cause dizzyness and balance issues too. So can sinusitis though.

#35 ja4445

ja4445

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 06:39 AM

Hey there I dont recommend quiting Efexor cold turkey, I had to have my appendix out real fast as it burst....I missed a days worth of Efexor @ 300mg per day. I went totaly crazy seeing and hearing things it was pritty horrible! I dont think all the painkillers helped tho! Morphine made me extreamly happy I add! :hearts:

#36 papajeaux

papajeaux

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 06:41 PM

i tried switching from zoloft to pristiq, but it turned out to be a bad time...too much other stuff going on. i can usually tell pretty quickly if something is going to work w/me and pristiq didn't. so, after a week or so i stopped it. i went WAAAAAAAAY down! almost suicidal...which was a first for me. it has taken a good three days for me to get past the bad stuff from pristiq, but it was a nightmare of a three days. the only thing i found that helped was loading up on zoloft when i felt down. i was more or less just trying to smother the effects of quitting pristiq. probably not the best way to do, but i survived.

#37 Choc Lab

Choc Lab

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 04:11 PM

I was on Pristiq for five weeks and hated it. Everyone is different, of course. I transitioned straight from Pristiq (a SNRI) to Zoloft (a SSRI) with no problems. My doc gave me samples to taper off Pristiq while starting Zoloft, but said that he didn't think it would really matter since they both affect seratonin in a similar fashion. Having heard that, I said to heck with the samples. Quitting cold turkey is not good for SSRIs or SNRIs though.

#38 reillyj1

reillyj1

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 04:42 PM

I took Effexor XR several years ago and the withdrawal symptoms were horrendous. My doctor at that time told me to take cold medications to combat the withdrawal symptoms. I took Dayquil during the day and Nyquil at night and it was miraculous. I started taking Pristiq 3 months ago and am trying to get off that, I am on day 2 of not taking any and I feel terrible. I was on the lowest dosage and I didn't think that I could cut the pills in half but I am going to try and do that. I feel terrible, I couldn't sleep last night and have the strangest dreams. I did take a dayquil earlier today and it helps with the flu like feeling I have.

My suggestion to others is take a night time cold medication and day time cold medication. It REALLY helps.

#39 bill2009

bill2009

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 03:43 AM

I took Effexor XR several years ago and the withdrawal symptoms were horrendous. My doctor at that time told me to take cold medications to combat the withdrawal symptoms. I took Dayquil during the day and Nyquil at night and it was miraculous. I started taking Pristiq 3 months ago and am trying to get off that, I am on day 2 of not taking any and I feel terrible. I was on the lowest dosage and I didn't think that I could cut the pills in half but I am going to try and do that. I feel terrible, I couldn't sleep last night and have the strangest dreams. I did take a dayquil earlier today and it helps with the flu like feeling I have.

My suggestion to others is take a night time cold medication and day time cold medication. It REALLY helps.

Hello everyone. I just want to tell you all how very reassuring and wonderful it is that you all kept this
thread alive in my absence. I guess I just gave up and kept taking the stuff. have been doing so for
about a year since I last posted. an update for me: no change. still taking pristiq. whatever bothered
me about it when I first started taking it either went away or I got used to it. I am not looking forward
to going off of it any time soon. I am simply not mentally or emotionally ready for that degree of trauma
right now.

now that I have found you all again, I plan to stick close and anser every post just as soon as I can find the
time to hunt and peck my way thru that much carpal tunnel damage. I'm only sort of kidding:)

my hands do hurt from being a professional guitar player for 100 years or so. I was also a professional
alkie, but no more. and I never want to perform in public again. but I can type for awhile. thank you
all so very much for all the responses. I saw some success's and some bummerdom as I read
down the thread. I wish you all the best of luck, and will keep in touch and let everyone know how I am
doing and see how you all are doing too. cheers. thanks!

Bill

#40 bill2009

bill2009

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 05:49 PM

reillyj1, you said "doctor at THAT time" so I assume you have a different doc. just curious
what new doc says about SSRI's in general. from all I have heard, read and experienced,
they are all pretty much useless.

yours was the newest post, next to my last post. so, I thought I'd start with you and
see how you are doing.........how are you doing?

I am doing "ok" as in, not good, but not terrible. but then, I'm not trying to quit anything.
the timing is just not good for quitting anything as awful as effexor, pristiq, etc..

are your symptoms subsiding at all?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users