Advertisement

Scheduled Maintenance:

Please be aware that depressionforums will be down for a short period beginning from 02:00 EST (07:00 GMT) on Sunday 21st December for necessary maintenance. We apologise for the inconvenience and it should only take about 45 minutes.

• No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Joint/muscle Pain

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 rileyeye

rileyeye

ID: 26167

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 08:50 AM

Three weeks after I started taking the Wellbutrin I started to ache all over so I stopped it cold turkey. Now it hurts when I walk. my knees are in pain, my hips hurt and my back hurts. Could this be from the wellbutrin? I thought it was from the gym, but I stopped that three weeks ago too. I don't know what to do.......

#2 Burgy

Burgy

Platinum Member

ID: 17342

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,824 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 12:49 AM

I also got some aches and stiffness in my muscles and joints when I started WB. It subsided in a few weeks. WB can be dehydrating, especially during startup, which can cause headaches, body aches, stiffness, fatigue, dry skin, and constipation. The best way to remedy that is to stay hydrated. Drink extra amounts of water during the first few weeks and that will help to ward of the side effects. Stopping a med cold turkey could throw your body out of whack even more.
Posted Image We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world. ~Buddha

#3 moonlightress

moonlightress

Silver Member

ID: 23704

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 11:30 AM

Hi rileyeye
I looked in the package insert for this and found the following: (the bolding is mine)

Adverse Effects: Skin/Hypersensitivity:
Rare: Arthralgia (joint pain), myalgia (muscle pain) and fever have also been reported in association with rash and other symptoms suggestive of delayed hypersensitivity. Wellbutrin should be discontinued promptly if patients experience hypersensitivity reactions during treatment. Clinicians should be aware that symptoms may persist beyond the discontinuation of bupropion and clinical management should be provided accordingly.

Does this sound like it could be describing you? Generally with hypersensitivity you get rashes and itching, but what you describe could be the above. Please check with your doctor and see if he can help you with it?

#4 rileyeye

rileyeye

ID: 26167

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 11:42 AM

Three weeks after I started taking the Wellbutrin I started to ache all over so I stopped it cold turkey. Now it hurts when I walk. my knees are in pain, my hips hurt and my back hurts. Could this be from the wellbutrin? I thought it was from the gym, but I stopped that three weeks ago too. I don't know what to do.......

I think you both are RIGHT! TOday I am actually feeling some relief. I am being serious when I say that I was worried that I would be on bed rest............ I could barely walk - it all was so odd. Thank you so much for your help:)

#5 LizaRiffic

LizaRiffic

Just Registered

ID: 44653

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 02:54 PM

Hello. I also took Wellbutrin XL. Shortly after, I began having severe joint/bone/hip pain. It hurt to walk, it hurt to bend, and at night the pain was so bad I couldn't lift my leg or roll over without crying. At first I didn't make the correlation, and suffered for about 3 months. Then one day I realized that the pain had begun shortly after I had started taking the Wellbutrin XL. So, I stopped taking the Wellbutrin... cold turkey. The physical pain was not worth it. Within three days of stopping the Wellbutrin XL, I was pain-free. I will never take that medicine again.

#6 trumanhw

trumanhw

Just Registered

ID: 44852

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 02:52 PM

I took wellbutrin for about 15 days. On days 11-15, I started having a bizarre sensation in my feet and hands. I disregarded it at first, but as time went on, I correlated the two, unaware that others had complained of similar sensations. In reading the wikipedia entry, I can't help but wonder if someone financially biased to the side effects entry, as they are completely dismissive by stating that the placebo group experienced these problems as frequently if not moreso than the test group. In my case however, I was completely unaware of the side effect potential, and only discovered reports of it after experiencing it, and feel I represent a good example therefore. Currently, my side effects persist, and this is approximately 10 days after cessation. My feet feel it the worst; they feel as though they are bruised -- as though they have been beaten up by something like a wiffleball bat. Or maybe something a little more dense.. They don't feel "broken." I can walk on them.. but after about 40 minutes of walking or standing, they absolutely ACHE. They throb all day. I also feel as though I "misperceive" temperature. Warm water feels as though its burning, and cold water feels icy. There's no happy medium. I have been taking anti-inflammatories (advil, aleve, aspirin) as well as Tylenol. I have to admit, nearly no help at all. My toes often feel as though they were CRUSHED, and my ankles feel sprained. But it hurts SO badly that Im going to continue taking it because I pine for ANY help or relief. If Im the rare exception -- sobeit. However, I am NOT an example of placebo.

Now, another week later, I've had an appt with my Psych and she disputed Welbutrin causing this, and says that its psychosomatic. I even sent her an email with links correlating the issue, to which she quized me on the pharmacology of it and welbutrin's mechanism of action, as though to say if I don't know HOW it works, then my complaint of side effect is equally invalidated. She... PRESCRIBED ME MORE, and also gave me a script for ONE neurontin for sleep.. which, is ridiculous on many levels. Anyway, my feet STILL feel crushed, frostbitten, and I can still barely walk.

HOW LONG could this last?? Is there any drug that anyone knows of that could ease this pain? I realize I have to get a new Psych.

#7 trumanhw

trumanhw

Just Registered

ID: 44852

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 02:56 PM

double post - sorry.

Edited by trumanhw, 23 January 2010 - 03:07 PM.

#8 demitriden

demitriden

ID: 44750

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 04:22 AM

I took wellbutrin for about 15 days. On days 11-15, I started having a bizarre sensation in my feet and hands. I disregarded it at first, but as time went on, I correlated the two, unaware that others had complained of similar sensations. In reading the wikipedia entry, I can't help but wonder if someone financially biased to the side effects entry, as they are completely dismissive by stating that the placebo group experienced these problems as frequently if not moreso than the test group. In my case however, I was completely unaware of the side effect potential, and only discovered reports of it after experiencing it, and feel I represent a good example therefore. Currently, my side effects persist, and this is approximately 10 days after cessation. My feet feel it the worst; they feel as though they are bruised -- as though they have been beaten up by something like a wiffleball bat. Or maybe something a little more dense.. They don't feel "broken." I can walk on them.. but after about 40 minutes of walking or standing, they absolutely ACHE. They throb all day. I also feel as though I "misperceive" temperature. Warm water feels as though its burning, and cold water feels icy. There's no happy medium. I have been taking anti-inflammatories (advil, aleve, aspirin) as well as Tylenol. I have to admit, nearly no help at all. My toes often feel as though they were CRUSHED, and my ankles feel sprained. But it hurts SO badly that Im going to continue taking it because I pine for ANY help or relief. If Im the rare exception -- sobeit. However, I am NOT an example of placebo.

Now, another week later, I've had an appt with my Psych and she disputed Welbutrin causing this, and says that its psychosomatic. I even sent her an email with links correlating the issue, to which she quized me on the pharmacology of it and welbutrin's mechanism of action, as though to say if I don't know HOW it works, then my complaint of side effect is equally invalidated. She... PRESCRIBED ME MORE, and also gave me a script for ONE neurontin for sleep.. which, is ridiculous on many levels. Anyway, my feet STILL feel crushed, frostbitten, and I can still barely walk.

HOW LONG could this last?? Is there any drug that anyone knows of that could ease this pain? I realize I have to get a new Psych.

boot that psych

#9 JacksonPawlick

JacksonPawlick

ID: 106408

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:11 AM

My knees are ******* me.  I had one bad one and now I feel I have two.  My hands ache.  My heels are ******* me.  AND...  I get this strange burning in my right thigh.  Uncomfortable and somewhat painful to the touch. 

#10 kd1

kd1

Just Registered

ID: 107964

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:18 PM

I know that most of these posts are old but thought I'd share the side effects I've experienced- I've taken WB two separate times, once for around 9 months, and latest for about 2 months. First time I experienced a few side effects- insomnia, constipation, loss of concentration and even some hair loss. I discontinued it after I figured that out, but eventually I decided that side effect was worth it because I was so miserable without meds. 2nd time around we combined with 50 mg vyvanse. My focus was awesome and no harsh come downs from vyvanse (as I had when I'd taken it without an antidepressant). I had also experienced some hairloss on vyvanse when I took that alone. But when we combined WB and vyvanse, presto, NO HAIRLOSS, which was awesome. If anything I expected the hairloss to accellerate when on both meds, but they seemed to dull eachother to just the right amount. So my whole point of this is that I developed debilitating forearm and wrist pain over the course of 2 months. It flares up like crazy at certain times of the day, causing throbbing and swelling in the blood vessels in my arms and hands. After 2 weeks of extremely intense pain episodes I figured out that this could be a side effect of the WB, vyvanse, (OR the lunesta I take at night!) and decided to stop WB to see if that one is the culprit. I haven't taken WB in 4 days, pain episodes are not as intense, frequent or severe. I am really hoping that they will subside completely and that I don't have to discontinue the other meds as I feel that they really help me. It is just baffling to me though that I have taken each of these medicines alone and never experienced that side effect, but put them together and WHAM.

#11 mikejamesjhm

mikejamesjhm

Just Registered

ID: 108188

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:42 AM

I also suffered from Knee Pain with inflammation. Till now am suffering from the pain. Have been visiting doctor but there is no output. Just following some home remedies and exercising some actions thinking that could atleast help in reducing pain.

• mikejamesjhm likes this

#12 middy2813

middy2813

Just Registered

ID: 109661

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:14 PM

I've been on Wellbutrin XL 150 mg for two months and thought I was doing pretty well.  Three days ago, my PCP raised me to 300 mg because he felt I wasn't quite where I needed to be yet.  By yesterday I could barely walk -- tremendous muscle pain in my butt and thighs, plus very achy knees.  I also have osteoarthritis so figured it might just be a "major flare-up," but I also questioned what had changed for me in the past few days.  There was only one thing and that was the increased dose of Wellbutrin.  I called my doctor and he said to reduce Rx back to 150 mg for the next month and then try the 300 mg again "just to be sure it was the cause of the pain."  After reading this forum, I don't even want to take Wellbutrin!  I have some arthritis in one knee.  Since I initially started Wellbutrin, the pain in that knee has become progressively worse, to the point that I made an appt. for next week with an orthopedic surgeon about a knee replacement.  Now I'm thinking it was the drug that caused the increase in pain.  I was glad to see this forum topic so that I know I'm not just imagining things.  I'm going to start weaning off Wellbutrin and see if my pain levels change.  I'm a little tired of sitting on a heating pad!

Edited by middy2813, 28 February 2013 - 06:14 PM.

#13 EricaAAllen25

EricaAAllen25

Just Registered

ID: 111971

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:41 PM

I've been taking Bupropion a generic version of Wellbutrin for about two months now. About a month after taking this I broke out in a rash it was in my scalp on my legs and hands it hit my feet and they swelled up to where i could barley walk it hurt so bad. Doc said it was hives but did'nt believe it to be the wellbutrin. It took a week or two before the hives tapppered off but the never fully went away until about another week the swelling had stopped but if I rubbed myself to hard while toweling off from a shower it was like streaks of the rash would go all over my body or if I was just sitting there doing nothing I would break out. Finally that went away!!! Now all the sudden im having severe joint pain were my shoulder started hurting so bad i could not move my neck or my arm without screatching pain...that lasted about two days then it hit my right hand swelled up and i could barley close my hand or move it without having pain that lasted for about two days now it;s starting on my left hand and seems today like it's starting back on my shoulder again and it seems to be move towards my back. :( Went to the Doc and he said to take one a day for three days and then stop but it takes 5 days to completely come out of your system, but he is not sure if it's even the wellbutrin causing all this so will see in another week. Has anyone else experienceed this I have been going Crazy!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users