Advertisement

Scheduled Maintenance:

Please be aware that depressionforums will be down for a short period beginning from 02:00 EST (07:00 GMT) on Sunday 21st December for necessary maintenance. We apologise for the inconvenience and it should only take about 45 minutes.

• No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Pristiq

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 zen again

zen again

ID: 27678

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 08:21 PM

Hey. I'm on day 9 of taking Pristiq. Can someone elaborate on what you mean by when it "helped" or "started working?" Do you mean when you get over the side effects, or when your depression subsided? I'm really feeling sedated on this stuff and looking forward to feeling more sober and energized. I'm almost starting to believe the whole pointof this drug is to make you feel like crap for a little while, so when you get over it, everything seems better in comparison. lol

"Why do you keep beating yourself over the head with that hammer?"...
"Cause it feels so good when I stop"

Edited by zen again, 06 August 2008 - 08:25 PM.

#2 hwaiihny

hwaiihny

Just Registered

ID: 21938

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 03:59 PM

Hey. I'm on day 9 of taking Pristiq. Can someone elaborate on what you mean by when it "helped" or "started working?" Do you mean when you get over the side effects, or when your depression subsided? I'm really feeling sedated on this stuff and looking forward to feeling more sober and energized. I'm almost starting to believe the whole pointof this drug is to make you feel like crap for a little while, so when you get over it, everything seems better in comparison. lol

My doc tried me out on Pristiq about 2 months ago. I didn't feel anything while taking it. I did feel like my Adderral wasn't working as well though. After a month we decided that a mood stablizer made more sense for me and I stopped taking the Pristiq. I had horrible withdrawl symptoms! After only a month of feeling nothing on the stuff, I felt horrible not taking it. I was dizzy, nauseas, and had horrible headaches. I had to taper off of it and finally took my last of it last week and feel better. I hope it's not the same for you, but the stuff did nothing but make me feel like crapola.

#3 ruta

ruta

ID: 28381

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 01:12 PM

I am on Pristiq. When I say it is working, I mean I am not depressed.

But these are my side effects: I have light headaches. I have muscle tension. I have to take it at night because it makes me a little woozy. The scariest thing is forgetting to take it. I wake up in a sweat realizing I've had horrible nightmares. The nightmares are terrifyingly violent. Then I look at my pills. They are labeled with the days of the week. I find that I have forgotten to take it. The dreams make me feel like a Jeckel and Hyde creature. This I find the most troubling of the effects. I worry if I can't get the drug because of a natural disaster. How would I be able to withdraw?

SSRI's affected my bladder negatively. I have been on Prozac to Celexa in ten years. But, the discovery of these antidepressants has given me a new lease on life. I'm stuck with them for better and for worse. At least the black curtain is lifted by them. (O_o) ruta
ruta

All the world is a very narrow bridge, the main thing is to have no fear at all. Rabbi Nachman of Bratslav

#4 Chrisw1017

Chrisw1017

Just Registered

ID: 28738

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 09:06 AM

My Dr prescribed Pristiq on Tuesday for MDD. By Friday morning I had severe nausau, stomach pain and hightened anxioty. I felt like I was boiling on the inside. I called my Dr Friday morning and he prescribed Clonazepam 1mg. Stomach nausau & pain is gone and tremors have greatly subsided. While on Pristiq I thought I was going to die! I never felt so bad in my whole life. It might be a wonder drug for some, but for me, I felt I was near death.

#5 moosie23

moosie23

ID: 28473

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 08:52 PM

My doc tried me out on Pristiq about 2 months ago. I didn't feel anything while taking it. I did feel like my Adderral wasn't working as well though. After a month we decided that a mood stablizer made more sense for me and I stopped taking the Pristiq. I had horrible withdrawl symptoms! After only a month of feeling nothing on the stuff, I felt horrible not taking it. I was dizzy, nauseas, and had horrible headaches. I had to taper off of it and finally took my last of it last week and feel better. I hope it's not the same for you, but the stuff did nothing but make me feel like crapola.

I have been on pristiq for 10 days. I dont'feel any better definitely. I am just waiting. I have not have any side effects to speak of. I have had a headache for 6 weeks, nothing to do with the starting of pristiq. It might be withdrawal symptoms from when i just stopped taking zoloft and wellbutrin. I don't know. I don't want to have to switch meds again. I feel like i have been on so many difft ones. Im just tired of all of it.

#6 makingit

makingit

Just Registered

ID: 29293

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 03:41 PM

I've been on Pristiq 50 mg for 6 weeks after years of other SSRI's. Although my depression and anxiety symptoms have subsided more than they had on any other med, the apparent side effects are horrible! Elevated blood pressure to the point where MD thought stroke, dizziness, nightmares, sweating, you name it. Are they worth it? Not sure. Consulting with MD tomorrow. Sometimes I think going off all depression meds might be the answer, but withdrawing, not cold turkey! There has to be a better way :hearts:

I have been on pristiq for 10 days. I dont'feel any better definitely. I am just waiting. I have not have any side effects to speak of. I have had a headache for 6 weeks, nothing to do with the starting of pristiq. It might be withdrawal symptoms from when i just stopped taking zoloft and wellbutrin. I don't know. I don't want to have to switch meds again. I feel like i have been on so many difft ones. Im just tired of all of it.

Edited by makingit, 01 October 2008 - 03:51 PM.

#7 shepherdboy

shepherdboy

Just Registered

ID: 30933

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 12:02 AM

I'm on day one today.

I am male and I started on AD 13.5 years ago. Started w/Imipramine. It cause urinary problems and a rapid heartbeat (120-180bpm), so my Dr. switched me to Prozac.

I had no noticeable side effects from Prozac for 11 years, save possibly for weight gain (I weighed 190 lbs had lost 30 lbs from my initial depression. I went up to 240 lbs over my the next 4 years and have stayed that weight. Could be due to Rx or to age??)

After 11 years on Prozac I felt it was losing its effectiveness. I switched to Lexapro, but stopped taking it due to cost (my Prozac was generic and my insurance doesn't cover depression). I slid down hard two months later. I survived, and a new Dr. put me on Cymbalta 60 (I'd been taking Prozac at 20).

2 years later, I feel like Cymbalta is fading in its effectiveness, so today my same Dr. put me on Pristiq at 50.

I appreciate the opportunity to read the experiences of others, and hope to update you on my progress.

Other than my side effects w/ Imipramine and Prozac, I have had no complaints. It seems from this forum that most people have had a harder time than I have with side effects.
It'll get better.

#8 tiredandwired

tiredandwired

Just Registered

ID: 47856

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 06:12 PM

i took pristiq for approximately two and a half weeks and felt nothing but incredibly wired- a feeling similar to downing four or five red bulls and topping it off with adderall- i'm talking around half an hour of sleep a night (i get up at five for school and with band and other functions usually arrive home at five or six so my day is loaded) and feeling like i slept twelve. maybe i wasnt on it long enough but all i ever felt was anxious and paranoid on this medication, and it was prescribed by a doctor for panic anxiety disorder. it gave me the worst panic attacks i have ever had, including in the middle of a barnes and noble where an ambulance was almost called. told my doctor i refuse to take this because it was giving me suicidal thoughts on top.. currently on day four of just cold turkey (i was supposed to try symbyax for two weeks but one dose sent me into a rage where i nearly ended it and the headaches are hell. in two weeks i felt absolutely no benefits from pristiq other than a reduction in appetite and i guess having a few more hours in the day isnt that bad...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users