Advertisement

Scheduled Maintenance:

Please be aware that depressionforums will be down for a short period beginning from 02:00 EST (07:00 GMT) on Sunday 21st December for necessary maintenance. We apologise for the inconvenience and it should only take about 45 minutes.

• No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

How Long Did Zoloft Take To Work?

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

Poll: How Long Did Zoloft Take To Work? (134 member(s) have cast votes)

How Long Did Zoloft Take To Work?

1. 1 Week (27 votes [20.15%])

Percentage of vote: 20.15%

2. 2 Weeks (20 votes [14.93%])

Percentage of vote: 14.93%

3. 3 Weeks (14 votes [10.45%])

Percentage of vote: 10.45%

4. 4 Weeks (20 votes [14.93%])

Percentage of vote: 14.93%

5. 5 Weeks (9 votes [6.72%])

Percentage of vote: 6.72%

6. 6 Weeks or More (44 votes [32.84%])

Percentage of vote: 32.84%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 DepressedGuy

DepressedGuy

ID: 1830

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 08:17 PM

How long did Zoloft take to work on all of you?

#2 ados

ados

Platinum Member

ID: 29

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,119 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 02:27 PM

I voted 4 weeks, because that is when the zoloft seemed to be working fully for me. However, I did notice slight improvement within the first week - kind of just a feeling that things were starting to lighten up. Could have been more of a placebo effect or just relief from knowing I was getting help. Anyway, it took about 1 month for me to feel like it was really doing something.
Life is hard, but God is good.

Pam Thum

ados for Depression Forums Administration
Original DF join date: October 25, 2001 Posted Image

#3 PapaQ

PapaQ

ID: 2280

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 10:14 PM

I too noticed a difference after 1 week. However, it wasn't until 5-6 weeks that I felt more like 'my ol' self'. The biggest difference after one week was feeling like I could bounce back from things more quickly.

Edited by PapaQ, 23 November 2005 - 10:16 PM.

#4 SJW

SJW

ID: 2272

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 12:16 AM

Took me 6 weeks at a huge dosage (400 mg). Then again, I had what the doctor said was the most severe case of depression she'd ever seen. . .

#5 clover

clover

Just Registered

ID: 5497

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 05:37 AM

I was taking prozac for 5 months before starting zoloft. I found that within the first few days I was feeling back to my old self. I am hoping that it will get better as I keep taking them.

#6 ados

ados

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 7,119 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 06:33 AM

Good luck, Clover! Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Karen

Pam Thum

#7 imagine2k6

imagine2k6

ID: 5525

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 10:20 PM

About 4 weeks.
Love is my religion.

"And if I'm flying solo, at least I'm flying free. To those who'd ground me, take a message back from me. Tell them how I'm defying gravity."

#8 joeloveys

joeloveys

ID: 5677

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 11:13 AM

I feel its effects almost immediately, but this time around it took 2 weeks to really kick in. Before it may have been longer or shorter that that.

#9 IcedColdMemories

IcedColdMemories

ID: 5716

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 04:36 PM

o.0;; Well... After I took 1/2 of the 50mg pill... After too hours, I gotten extreme headaches, wanting to vomit, pain all over... Just MOST of the side effects you can think one. And thats like the 1st time I took it. I guess it didnt kick in now did it...

Everything seems to be lost...
I stand here alone...
Trapped in the darkness...
Where no light is shown...
Thinking so much...
Here I lay, on the cold floor...
Recalling the good times...
I want him even more...
I try so hard...
I want to cry...
Through the time..
That passes me by...
So many things...
That needs to be said...
Without a voice...
Might as well be... dead...

#10 ados

ados

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 7,119 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 05:01 PM

IceColdMemories,

That stinks, that you had such a violent, quick reaction to zoloft. I hope you work with your doctor to find something that will help you without all the problems!

Karen

Pam Thum

#11 chariots

chariots

Just Registered

ID: 6210

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 04:01 AM

I´ve been on zoloft for about 4 weeks, first week was on 25 mg and 3 weeks on 50mg.
I ´ve noticed little improvement after the first week but now it seems it didn´t get any better.
Seems it helping but sometimes i think it´s my imagination,it hard to tell yet if it is really working.
What do you think? is it normal?

when you say it started to kick it means that already you feel good or when you started to feel that little improvement?
How long do you think will it take to reach the full effect?

Edited by chariots, 12 March 2006 - 04:06 AM.

#12 ados

ados

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 7,119 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 12:38 PM

For me, there was just a teeny, tiny kick...more like a slight feeling of hope that something was going to get better...after a few days or at least within the first week of starting the med. Perhaps it was just the placebo effect, or the hope of knowing that finally I was doing something about trying to get better.

Real, noticeable improvement, though, probably took a good month for me. Everyone is SO different! It could take a couple of weeks or even (sadly) a couple of months to get the full effect of the AD. I hope you will hang in there a bit longer. Keep in touch with your doctor, and if you really are not noticing any change at all after 6 weeks at the 50mg dose, you probably want to discuss making a change.

Keep in touch!

Karen

Pam Thum

#13 Hannah

Hannah

ID: 6924

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 04:52 PM

I'm not sure if I'm remembering this completely accurately (since this was seven years ago), but I'm pretty sure it kicked in almost immediately for me. But then again, I'm an anomaly in that my body reacts amazingly quickly to any sort of medication.

"Depression is a disorder of mood, so mysteriously painful and elusive in the way it becomes known to the self-to the mediating intellect-as to verge close to being beyond description. It thus remains nearly incomprehensible to those who have not experienced it in its extreme mode."
~William Styron, "Darkness Visible"

#14 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

ID: 637

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 28,041 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 09:39 AM

I really didn't get full effect until 4 weeks. I was started on 25mg, after 2 days raised to 50mg, 3 days up to 75mg, 3 days 100mg, until I reached 150mg ( i got side effects not listed at that dose) and was then lowered to 100mg. I truly did not get the full effects until 4 weeks had passed and only recall a slight improvement at the lower doses. I had not been on an AD for 4 years, so this was an emergency start up at the hospital for me. I also had a second AD added while I was there for sleep.

I am doing well on the 100mg dose.
Sheepwoman :hearts:
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#15 CityStars

CityStars

ID: 8152

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 04:26 PM

I am looking to take Zoloft for a more excellerated recovery to depression and SA.

#16 psychical

psychical

ID: 8497

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 03:41 AM

Took me 6 weeks at a huge dosage (400 mg). Then again, I had what the doctor said was the most severe case of depression she'd ever seen. . .

Oh my... You are extreme baby! On the leaflet of Zoloft in Poland it is written that the maximum dose is 200mg. I wonder why.. Maybe because one doesn't have to take more than 200mg to get the positive effects and the bigger dose gives you only more side effects.. What do you think?

#17 AndresRDC

AndresRDC

Just Registered

ID: 10179

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 08:42 PM

I began taking Zoloft nine days ago and am already beginning to feel the effects. Actually I began to feel it a few days after I began in the form of less social anxiety. Things are shaping up already, now it's just a matter of waiting to get the full effect and personal initiative to change my outlook on life.
Existence may be pointless, but Life will only have as much meaning as you are willing to give it. Take Pride in everything you do, Learn from everything you experience, and See the beauty in all that surrounds you.

#18 arlaur

arlaur

Senior Moderator

ID: 31

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 12:08 AM

It took me about 4 weeks on the Zoloft before it fully kicked in. I'm on 75mg, and that level is working very well for me at the moment. My tendency to panic in public is gone, and I can actually ride the subways again. And I'm not as prone to dwell on my disturbing obsessive thoughts. So, thus far, I'm a walking picture of success for Zoloft!

-Ari
"Opportunity is not a lengthy visitor."-- Stephen Sondheim

"Give me my freedom for as long as I be; all I ask of living is to have no chains on me."-- Laura Nyro

#19 Cazzandra

Cazzandra

ID: 9531

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 12:57 AM

I'm used to swapping pils - "...this doesn't ork. Let's try another.." since my early meonpause and later, a total hysterectomy. For me, Zologt way less than a week to start feeling more - human. It's now been six weeks and I"m feeling oh so fine. Before I stated Zoloft, I never smiled, jokes were never uttered by me. Now that's different. I actually sleep at night like a normal person, I laught, I giggle, I tell jokes, play pranks... It was commented by a LOT of people that I was a lot nicer, easy to approach. Basically I was emotionally flatline and it took me a er lot of years to figure that out.

I think this is going to be one of those, "...each person reacts differently..." scenes.

Cheers!
Cazzie
  • brown mouse likes this
If Barbie is so popular, why do we have to buy her friends?

No trees were destroyed for the creation of this post. However, several brain cells were fatally wounded/

#20 Ajumbledmess

Ajumbledmess

ID: 7815

• Platinum Member
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 05:24 PM

it took the full 8 wks for me but im just glad it works

Posted ImageAjumbledmessPosted Image

"Sometimes we need to hurt in order to grow we must fail in order to know we must lose in order to gain some lessons are learned best through pain."

#21 Beanchop99

Beanchop99

Platinum Member

ID: 9557

• Platinum Member
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 02:54 AM

it took the full 8 wks for me but im just glad it works

Jumbled:

I'm happy to hear that Zoloft is working for you.

Keep us posted.

-Bean
Truth. Beauty. Freedom. Love.
Posted Image

Suicide Hotlines

#22 Ajumbledmess

Ajumbledmess

ID: 7815

• Platinum Member
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 06:41 AM

:hearts: Thankx Bean

Posted ImageAjumbledmessPosted Image

"Sometimes we need to hurt in order to grow we must fail in order to know we must lose in order to gain some lessons are learned best through pain."

#23 Beanchop99

Beanchop99

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 05:44 PM

Heather:

Anytime.

:hearts:

-Bean
Posted Image

Suicide Hotlines

#24 darkages40

darkages40

ID: 18822

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 12:23 AM

For me it took about 2 weeks. I understand it depends on the individual at least that is what was told.
And bless us all
With his oratory prowess,
His lame-brained antics and his jumping in the air.
And every night his act's the same
And so it must be all a game of chess he's playing--
But you're wrong, Steve. you see, it's only solitaire.
-Jethro Tull-

#25 Deet

Deet

Gold Member

ID: 1051

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 07:21 AM

I felt it start at one week, but voted for three weeks because that was the real turning point for me. I've been very pleased w/ how fast Zoloft has kicked in following dosage changes. Yay Zoloft!!
MOM!!! Phineas and Ferb are making a title sequence!!!

DX: Major depression/general anxiety
Rx's: Effexor, Lexapro, Lex/Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin, Buspar/Wellbutrin, Zoloft/Wellbutrin, Stablon, Cymbalta, Remeron, Nuvigil, and amoxapine in various combinations. Oh, and Xanax and trazodone from time to time.

#26 Beanchop99

Beanchop99

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 01:43 PM

I've been very pleased w/ how fast Zoloft has kicked in following dosage changes. Yay Zoloft!!

:hearts:

Please continue keeping us up-to-date, Deet.

:bump:
Posted Image

Suicide Hotlines

#27 christalonely

christalonely

ID: 19012

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 04:03 PM

I am currently on Zoloft for the 3rd week,...and I only noticed an improvement about 3 days ago...just felt like I had more hope and I never worried so much

- Christa Lynn

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you always gotten.

#28 DeeBear

DeeBear

ID: 10620

• Platinum Member
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 05:42 PM

That's great that you're seeing improvement at three weeks - keep us posted on how you're doing!

Take care,
Dewayne
I'm not a complete *****. Some parts are missing.
Please don't drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
If life is a joke, then I don't get it.
I'm just mentally ill. It's the rest of the world that's crazy.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#29 Christopher

Christopher

Advanced Member

ID: 19158

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 05:21 PM

I think it took one week to start working and four weeks till it really kicked in.

#30 Donal

Donal

ID: 20313

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 05:45 PM

It took a long while for it to kick in for me, def more than 6 weeks. I still get down now, but have started a new dose (100MG) today!

#31 DeeBear

DeeBear

• Platinum Member
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 11:44 AM

I have ups and downs at different times of the year, and because of different situational stressors, so my doc works with me to keep my mood maintained by adjusting my dose. A lot of people think AD's are "happy pills," but they don't make you happy, they just allow you to experience a normal range of emotion. I think we all still get sad on AD's, but it's definitely a different sadness from depression for me.

Take care,
Dewayne
Posted ImagePosted Image

#32 wmmeyer

wmmeyer

ID: 20929

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 06:24 AM

I started on 50mg for 3 weeks and then upped to 100mg. I voted for +6 weeks because, while I felt some effects within a couple of days of starting the drug, I don't think it settled into place until about 6 weeks. I had a few side effects during that time which seem to have all gone away. During the first 6 weeks I could definitely tell I was taking a med by the weird effects I was feeling. Lately, I don't feel like I'm taking a drug anymore, I feel that good.
Bill

I hope YOU are Well, Happy, Safe, and Loved.... And Rock On!!!

#33 SkinnyNScared

SkinnyNScared

ID: 21304

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 11:56 AM

I've been on Zoloft for a massive 5 days now and I can honestly say I started to feel better today. My concerntration level has increased dramatically (4 days ago I couldn't even watch a whole commercial on TV without losing concerntration), my anxiety is decreasing and apart from still trying to struggle to get my appetite back I feel better.

I do honestly hope for a continued improvement and very strongly believe that the effect I'm feeling is definitely a "mind over matter" thing. I think I'm past the stage of getting severe side effects (which caused me great concern when taking the first dose) and the mere fact that I know I'm getting help is what is making me feel better.

There are ups and downs daily but when I was first told I wouldn't feel any improvement for 6 weeks I almost lost hope and wondered whether it was worth it.

So it's fantastic that I'm feeling better already and I hope anyone who is thinking about starting Zoloft will take heart from the fact that you don't need to wait 6 weeks to feel anything. It's a progressive improvment so there is definitely hope for us all!!!

Good luck to you all.

#34 DeeBear

DeeBear

• Platinum Member
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 02:55 PM

Hi SkinnyNScared,

It's great that you're seeing improvement so quickly! I noticed a little change early on, but the big improvement came after about two to three weeks if I remember correctly. Just pay attention to how you feel, and stay in touch with your doctor!

Take care,
Dewayne
Posted ImagePosted Image

#35 JerseyRob

JerseyRob

ID: 21325

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 02:54 PM

I just started half pills yesterday.. This is my first medication, and I'm hoping this site will help guide me through what to expect. I am on half pills of 50mg for 4 days then up to a full 50mg pill. I see my doc again in 3 weeks to check up on it.

Yesterday I did feel a little better, but it was more of a glimmer of hope kind of thing. I know it wasn't the meds. I am so hopeful that this may be the answer to help me. Yet scared that it will not, and I will be stuck like this forever. I've been dealing with it for at least 15-18 years with no help, but I need to kick this depression.

I will keep tabs here, and I'd like to document any changes I have gone through over time.. maybe it will help others deal with this problem.

#36 DeeBear

DeeBear

• Platinum Member
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 03:53 PM

Of course, keep us posted - starting up on meds can be very scary, especially when you read the side effects. But most of them go away with time, and besides, those lists are just lists of possible SE's, and I've never heard of anyone having them all. Listen to what your body tells you, and stay in touch with your doc, and hopefully you'll see improvement soon.

Take care,
Dewayne
Posted ImagePosted Image

#37 JerseyRob

JerseyRob

ID: 21325

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 03:03 AM

Of course, keep us posted - starting up on meds can be very scary, especially when you read the side effects. But most of them go away with time, and besides, those lists are just lists of possible SE's, and I've never heard of anyone having them all. Listen to what your body tells you, and stay in touch with your doc, and hopefully you'll see improvement soon.

Take care,
Dewayne

You know.. Today was a strange one for me. I felt good.. I was in a good mood.. I had a situation that normally would have gotten me very annoyed and crabby, and it didn't bother me.

Could this be the meds? I don't know.. but it was strange, and it felt good. I smiled.. a real smile.. not the normal fake ones.. If this is a sign of things to come, I am so relieved, and maybe I can actually come out of this.

I'm not going to get my hopes up just yet, but I am going to continue on this path, and see where it leads. I start my full dose Saturday, and plan to just stay home just in case I have some SE's.. but I am kind of looking foward to it in a strange way.. Sort of like the next step down the road to recovery.

#38 DeeBear

DeeBear

• Platinum Member
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 07:25 PM

Hey JerseyRob,

For me, and I think for most people, I started having a few good moments here and there, then a good day here and there, and then a few days, and so on, until at about six to eight weeks I was almost stabilized at "normal," whatever that means, LOL! It is a gradual process, and I remember getting really upset when I'd have a good moment or good day, and then feel bad again. I was so afraid of relapsing, but over time I realized that I was continually improving, and stopped myself from worrying about sliding back into depression. In other words, enjoy the good times, and expect them to become more and more prevalent on your road to recovery - BUT! Don't get upset when you get down again. It's a normal part of the process, and you will get through it.

I do hope you don't have any SE's, but for me, the SE's of meds are far, far, better than the SE's of depression.

Take care,
Dewayne
  • SciGale likes this
Posted ImagePosted Image

#39 proloz

proloz

ID: 21392

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 04:35 PM

Hey JerseyRob,

For me, and I think for most people, I started having a few good moments here and there, then a good day here and there, and then a few days, and so on, until at about six to eight weeks I was almost stabilized at "normal," whatever that means, LOL! It is a gradual process, and I remember getting really upset when I'd have a good moment or good day, and then feel bad again. I was so afraid of relapsing, but over time I realized that I was continually improving, and stopped myself from worrying about sliding back into depression. In other words, enjoy the good times, and expect them to become more and more prevalent on your road to recovery - BUT! Don't get upset when you get down again. It's a normal part of the process, and you will get through it.

I do hope you don't have any SE's, but for me, the SE's of meds are far, far, better than the SE's of depression.

Take care,
Dewayne

Today is my first official decent day since starting back on my Zoloft religiously without missing any.....I mean I'm nowhere near great, but I'm functioning which is far better than where I was just a few days ago.....

Zoloft makes me feel like me again.....and thank GOD for that or it's hard to say where I'd be.

#40 DeeBear

DeeBear

• Platinum Member
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 05:57 PM

I always say the meds don't change me, they counteract my depression so I can be me. I'm glad you're seeing some improvement, and I hope it continues!

Keep us posted on your recovery proloz!

Take care,
Dewayne
Posted ImagePosted Image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users