Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Ssdi Consultative Exam

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sooniwillbedone

sooniwillbedone

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 04:50 PM

Hello,

i am in the ssdi application process

i applied and now have been informed that i need an exam with a medical consultant. they told me they were done with my psychological ap portion and that i had alleged physical issues as well.

what is this exam for
what should i expect
is this because i don't have enough evidence

i am morbidly obese
early stage breast cancer (DCIS)
depression
anxiety
hypertension
short of breath
any advice is appreciated.

#2 john1157

john1157

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 09:04 AM

Hello,

i am in the ssdi application process

i applied and now have been informed that i need an exam with a medical consultant. they told me they were done with my psychological ap portion and that i had alleged physical issues as well.

what is this exam for
what should i expect
is this because i don't have enough evidence

i am morbidly obese
early stage breast cancer (DCIS)
depression
anxiety
hypertension
short of breath
any advice is appreciated.

Social Security has Doctors under contract who do these exams. I went to one of these in the process and it was just a basic physical exam and a review of the conditions you have listed. They will also ask you the same questions you already answered on your initial application in regard to your physical limitations. If I remember correctly I think the whole exam took about 15 minutes.

#3 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,850 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 01:08 PM

If you listed physical ailments on the application, then SS will assess those also as part of your request for disability. If you haven't, you may also need to supply your medical records to verify your medical history.

It maybe aggravating having to jump through all the hoops, but it's what I call a "necessary evil" to get the claim approved.
Sheepwoman
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#4 sooniwillbedone

sooniwillbedone

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 01:39 PM

thank you, sheep woman.
were you approved after exam?

#5 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,850 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 04:05 PM

I never had an SS exam. The t & pdocs, plus my MD, told them I was basically non-functional (true). My case will not come up for review until 2010, at which time I will be reassessed for total disability. My claim was processed and approved in 3 months (unusual.) Be patient, it can take longer (6+ months) for determination of your claim.
Sheepwoman
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#6 sooniwillbedone

sooniwillbedone

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:24 AM

hi all,
i had consultative exam a couple of weeks ago and it lasted about an hour.

i was told that i had degenerative bone disease during that exam. anyway now i am waiting for the doc to submit his report and for the adjudicator to give to doctors for review - in the meantime, i have been evicted again and am going to go and have to live off my child.

i hate my life.

I never had an SS exam. The t & pdocs, plus my MD, told them I was basically non-functional (true). My case will not come up for review until 2010, at which time I will be reassessed for total disability. My claim was processed and approved in 3 months (unusual.) Be patient, it can take longer (6+ months) for determination of your claim.
Sheepwoman

#7 sooniwillbedone

sooniwillbedone

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:31 AM

its a year since i was turned down. i have reapplied and this morning am on my way for a mental exam. i dont have any positive hopes about this as i lost my job last year in august and have no insurance and cant see a doctor for medicine - so there is no record of what i continue to struggoe with

#8 dianajune

dianajune

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 04:35 PM

its a year since i was turned down. i have reapplied and this morning am on my way for a mental exam. i dont have any positive hopes about this as i lost my job last year in august and have no insurance and cant see a doctor for medicine - so there is no record of what i continue to struggoe with

I am so sorry about what you're going through. I'm pretty much in the same boat too. I've been on Federal employee disability for a little over 6 years and was turned down the first time around for SSDI. Before I left my job, I was told by my employer that I had to apply for both. A year after the Federal employee disability was approved, that check was reduced so much I was forced to re-apply for SSDI.

I was sent back to the very same doctor, and I confronted her about what she said the first time around. I asked her why she said I was not disabled, and she asked me "do you want me to lie," and I said "no, I want you to tell the truth." She stomped out and refused to finish the appointment. I was approved not long after, which surprised me, given the hassles that woman gave me.

I am going through a recertification process for SSDI and it is so frustrating. I gave SSDI the paperwork they requested several months ago - July, I think, and I've been sitting around ever since, waiting and waiting. I got a call today from the agency that handles exams - they signed me up for another one this Friday, same office as before but a different doctor.

I called around and found the person who will be reviewing my case and was told that my disability case is based on psych issues only, not physical. I was surprised by that, because they all go hand in hand. My psych issues affect how I feel physically. I've had chest pains so many times I've had three stress tests, the most recent of which was this past May.

So, I guess you can say that I know what you're going through. It really stinks that the government is forcing people like us to jump through these ridiculous hoops and prove we're sick when we and our own doctors already know that we are. It's not fair. I've been through enough already, including cancer too (only mine was a borderline ovarian cancer).

How are you doing re. your cancer diagnosis? I hope everything is going well in that regard. Mine was caught early and I didn't need chemo or radiation treatments.

I'm doing the best I can to cope, which isn't alot. I posted a message on the "urgent" part of this board (or whatever it's called) because the pressure of all this nonsense is getting to me.

Take care!

#9 sooniwillbedone

sooniwillbedone

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 02:48 PM

thank you so much for reading my post and for responding. i take tamoxifen everyday for the breast cancer, but i havent a mamogram this year as i lost my health insurance and i am afraid of what they might find when they check again.

the mental exam was nothing like i expected. nothing about me. it was like a vocational exam. i was presented with math, english, spelling and current events questions. i was given a group of blocks to put in order to match pictures or shapes shown to me and then there were these patterns yhou have to gigure out. nothing about my depression was asked or my anxiety or mental health at all.

I am so sorry about what you're going through. I'm pretty much in the same boat too. I've been on Federal employee disability for a little over 6 years and was turned down the first time around for SSDI. Before I left my job, I was told by my employer that I had to apply for both. A year after the Federal employee disability was approved, that check was reduced so much I was forced to re-apply for SSDI.

I was sent back to the very same doctor, and I confronted her about what she said the first time around. I asked her why she said I was not disabled, and she asked me "do you want me to lie," and I said "no, I want you to tell the truth." She stomped out and refused to finish the appointment. I was approved not long after, which surprised me, given the hassles that woman gave me.

I am going through a recertification process for SSDI and it is so frustrating. I gave SSDI the paperwork they requested several months ago - July, I think, and I've been sitting around ever since, waiting and waiting. I got a call today from the agency that handles exams - they signed me up for another one this Friday, same office as before but a different doctor.

I called around and found the person who will be reviewing my case and was told that my disability case is based on psych issues only, not physical. I was surprised by that, because they all go hand in hand. My psych issues affect how I feel physically. I've had chest pains so many times I've had three stress tests, the most recent of which was this past May.

So, I guess you can say that I know what you're going through. It really stinks that the government is forcing people like us to jump through these ridiculous hoops and prove we're sick when we and our own doctors already know that we are. It's not fair. I've been through enough already, including cancer too (only mine was a borderline ovarian cancer).

How are you doing re. your cancer diagnosis? I hope everything is going well in that regard. Mine was caught early and I didn't need chemo or radiation treatments.

I'm doing the best I can to cope, which isn't alot. I posted a message on the "urgent" part of this board (or whatever it's called) because the pressure of all this nonsense is getting to me.

Take care!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users