Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Smelly Farts A Side Effect?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 nursepower

nursepower

ID: 27483

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 08:39 AM

Okay here's a topic I'm ashamed to broach...has anyone had this Side Effect from Wellbutrin? I mean I've had gas a LOT before...I don't burp it comes out the other end, but since I started the Wellbutrin XL I swear I have to check my pants for a load they smell so bad...I can't even stand to be in the same room as myself.

Please I'm being serious here, although I admit its funny...I'm just wondering if it may be the meds or is something wrong in my tummy?

Tomorrow may be better.
Tomorrow may be worse.
You'll never know if you're not there to see it.

#2 Infidel

Infidel

ID: 25374

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 10:33 AM

I take 150 mg Effexor and Bupropion daily, no issues with flatulence (39 year old male).

#3 Mimen

Mimen

ID: 22830

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 05:23 AM

Eek!! I know that dilemma of not being able to stay in the same room and then off course the fear of accidentally letting one off in public!!! :hearts:

I get it when I take vitamin C though and not from WB.

:flowers:

I know it sounds funny but it is not a nice thing to happen to one.

Edited by Mimen, 02 August 2008 - 05:24 AM.

BPII and loving it!

#4 Guest_Sundown_*

Guest_Sundown_*

ID: 0

• Guests

Posted 02 August 2008 - 05:36 AM

I know smelly farts are a side effect of lithium
but i dunno about Wellbutrin sorry

#5 nursepower

nursepower

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 05:36 AM

Eek!! I know that dilemma of not being able to stay in the same room and then off course the fear of accidentally letting one off in public!!!

OH MY GOSH! I hadn't even thought of that.....AHHHHH :hearts:

Tomorrow may be better.
Tomorrow may be worse.

#6 Mimen

Mimen

ID: 22830

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 09:40 AM

LOL at least its a healthy blush you have there with all that vitamin C!!

OH MY GOSH! I hadn't even thought of that.....AHHHHH :hearts:
[/quote]
BPII and loving it!

#7 above_and_beyond

above_and_beyond

ID: 25876

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 01:20 PM

I havent noticed this, but I have noticed that I itch a lot more ! Anyone else experiencing this? its listed under the rare side effects. such effects are so rare that its statistically not possible to attribute them to wellbutrin or other intervening factors, so who knows. maybe something else you are doing or eating is causing this?

#8 DarkTower

DarkTower

ID: 24452

• PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:50 AM

Nursepower, I know EXACTLY what you mean!

Out of curiosity, is the Wellbutrin XL you take the generic or the brand name? I'm currently taking the brand name 100mg WB and I swear the actual PILL stinks (this might be just me though). But on the case of farts, I have numerous sources to corroborate my noxious gas.

I'm near my 8th week now and I can say that the gas has seemed to subside somewhat, but just the other night I had let loose so many times under my covers while I was sleeping that when I went to roll over I actually released some of the trapped farts and the smell woke me up! So no, it's not vitamin C, it's definitely the Wellbutrin.

Your friend in flatulence,
DT

#9 Sundy

Sundy

Just Registered

ID: 27666

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:21 PM

Nursepower, I know EXACTLY what you mean!

Out of curiosity, is the Wellbutrin XL you take the generic or the brand name? I'm currently taking the brand name 100mg WB and I swear the actual PILL stinks (this might be just me though). But on the case of farts, I have numerous sources to corroborate my noxious gas.

I'm near my 8th week now and I can say that the gas has seemed to subside somewhat, but just the other night I had let loose so many times under my covers while I was sleeping that when I went to roll over I actually released some of the trapped farts and the smell woke me up! So no, it's not vitamin C, it's definitely the Wellbutrin.

Your friend in flatulence,
DT

I'm also a friend! I've only been on WB XL for a week... I seem to get the GAS around 6pm nightly since I started. :hearts:

Edited by Sundy, 06 August 2008 - 12:23 PM.

#10 nursepower

nursepower

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 04:38 PM

FINALLY!!!

Friends in Farts...lol....I use the brand name I have a "thing" against generics....I figure if it's the same stuff why is one cheaper?? Doesn't make sense. Anyway I've been taking the 150mg 3 tabs daily for about a week now and noticed it the 2nd day...normally I could let one off and only be worried about the loud sound...I'm a chug boater....now it has a smell too...eeek.

LOL at the trapped farts...thank you I needed that laugh. :)

Tomorrow may be better.
Tomorrow may be worse.

#11 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

ID: 17288

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 04:57 PM

Nursepower,

I must admit that I haven't laughed this hard in a long time! What great stories, although I know it's not really very funny. The "Friends in Farts" really got me. Anyway, I know Cymbalta has been know to cause gastrointestinal complaints, so I'm sure that "gas" would fall into that category. I'm sure the bad smell has everything to do with what you've eaten. I wonder if more water would help? That seems to help regulate things-although I don't know if that's a problem for you or not. Of course, I know we are talking about a different drug, but just thought I'd chime in (between chuckles).

If this thread doesn't solve one's depression even momentarily, I'd be surprised.

Sincerely,

Maddie
Posted ImagePosted Image

#12 moonlightress

moonlightress

Silver Member

ID: 23704

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 03:12 AM

Haven't noted any worse smell, myself.

I use the brand name I have a "thing" against generics....I figure if it's the same stuff why is one cheaper?? Doesn't make sense.

They are cheaper because for a new drug, a LOT of expensive research has to be done initially - regarding safety and efficacy, (whether it actually works or not), as well as what the therapeutic doses are, what the adverse effects are, whether the risk:benefit ration is favourable. These are called Phase 1 trials. Phase 2 trials then need to be done on larger number of people to establish more safety parameters. There are also Phase 3 trials done on large populations who suffer from the condition being treated, to establish whether it is more or less effective than treatments currently being used. These trials run into millions - R And D is very expensive.

A generic manufacturer doesn't have to do these trials, they only have to prove (in bioequivalence trials) that their formulation releases in the body at the same rate and to the same extent. The active compound is the same, since this is public information (you can see the molecular structures on Wikipdeia for each drug.) That's why they are cheaper. They are not necessarily inferior. Sometimes the same company that makes the brand name, will market the same drug under a different name, as a generic, just to capture a share of the generic market. In this case, the generic will in fact be the brand, which sounds crazy, but it means the company can compete for large tenders, eg govt hospitals, which could never afford the brand name.

Edited by moonlightress, 07 August 2008 - 03:13 AM.

#13 Guest_Gareth_*

Guest_Gareth_*

• Guests

Posted 13 May 2009 - 04:56 AM

Okay here's a topic I'm ashamed to broach...has anyone had this Side Effect from Wellbutrin? I mean I've had gas a LOT before...I don't burp it comes out the other end, but since I started the Wellbutrin XL I swear I have to check my pants for a load they smell so bad...I can't even stand to be in the same room as myself.

Please I'm being serious here, although I admit its funny...I'm just wondering if it may be the meds or is something wrong in my tummy?

No, it's not your tummy. I started on Wellbutrin XL a few weeks ago and it smells awful in here. Even the dog is disgusted and refuses to stay in the same room with me. The people at GlaxoSmithKline are probably laughing their collective ***** off. :flowers:

I know that this is an old post but I hope your problem has been rectumfied. :hearts:

#14 LunchLady

LunchLady

ID: 30142

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:17 AM

i actually went off Welbutrin because of the toxic gas and totally messed up stomach that it gave me.
i dont suggest anyone go off it w/out Dr's orders so plz dont think i'm recommending that.

i get depressed still, but i think my depression is in direct relation to
life around me on the outside, my surroundings, being treated crappy.
i'm not willing to go through that aweful gas and completely torn-up, rumbling
stomach for the emotional lift.
good luck w/ welly everybody!

#15 Guest_Gareth_*

Guest_Gareth_*

• Guests

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:26 AM

i actually went off Welbutrin because of the toxic gas and totally messed up stomach that it gave me.
i dont suggest anyone go off it w/out Dr's orders so plz dont think i'm recommending that.

i get depressed still, but i think my depression is in direct relation to
life around me on the outside, my surroundings, being treated crappy.
i'm not willing to go through that aweful gas and completely torn-up, rumbling
stomach for the emotional lift.
good luck w/ welly everybody!

Hey there Lunchlady,

Well I can't go off it cause of my BP. I've already been on every other AD known to modern science. I guess I'll just have to lay-in a years supply of GasX and hope for the best. :hearts:

#16 PetersKeys

PetersKeys

ID: 35186

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 07:24 AM

i don't get them..

Maybe its just a reaction to the filler and starches in the pill..Im sure it will subside.

#17 darcness

darcness

ID: 35281

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:16 AM

Oh man... I have to say thank you for resurecting this thread. It gave me quite a good laugh.

I too get horrible smelling gas from my Zoloft. I've suffered from the dreaded "trapped gas" when rolling over in bed too.

Some of the greatest advice I've ever received on DF: "Always remember that recovery is not linear"
Such a simple phrase, but so easily forgotten...

#18 redrose

redrose

ID: 36155

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 06:43 PM

Oh man... I have to say thank you for resurecting this thread. It gave me quite a good laugh.

I too get horrible smelling gas from my Zoloft. I've suffered from the dreaded "trapped gas" when rolling over in bed too.

yes i take 50mg zoloft and suffer w/ stinky silent farts and terrible constipation my stomach looks pregnant...
Patience is a Virtue.....

#19 kellz

kellz

ID: 31578

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 11:08 AM

I noticed that the generic version of xl stinks like eggs in the bottle.... there's got to be a sulfuric compound or additive in it. it used to give me tons of farts, but they stopped as soon as i went off WB.

#20 MezzoMorto

MezzoMorto

Just Registered

ID: 35638

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 10:50 PM

FINALLY!!!

Friends in Farts...lol....I use the brand name I have a "thing" against generics....I figure if it's the same stuff why is one cheaper?? Doesn't make sense.Anyway I've been taking the 150mg 3 tabs daily for about a week now and noticed it the 2nd day...normally I could let one off and only be worried about the loud sound...I'm a chug boater....now it has a smell too...eeek.

LOL at the trapped farts...thank you I needed that laugh. :)

"Generic drugs are copies of brand-name drugs that have exactly the same dosage, intended use, effects, side effects, route of administration, risks, safety, and strength as the original drug. In other words, their pharmacological effects are exactly the same as those of their brand-name counterparts. "

"Many people become concerned because generic drugs are often substantially cheaper than the brand-name versions. They wonder if the quality and effectiveness have been compromised to make the less expensive products. The FDA (U.S. Food and Drug Administration) requires that generic drugs be as safe and effective as brand-name drugs. "

"Actually, generic drugs are only cheaper because the manufacturers have not had the expenses of developing and marketing a new drug. When a company brings a new drug onto the market, the firm has already spent substantial money on research, development, marketing and promotion of the drug. A patent is granted that gives the company that developed the drug an exclusive right to sell the drug as long as the patent is in effect. "

#21 shinyarmor

shinyarmor

Just Registered

ID: 47394

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 06:49 PM

I see that unfortunately no one has been on this thread in close to a year, but I am in desperate need of consolation. I've been on 450mg of WB since September (and smaller doses before). At first, I took the generic and got such bad abdominal pains I couldnt move and actually went to the hospital. Obviously the dr's said there was nothing wrong with me. I read a lot about the generic and this seemed to be a pretty common issue, so I switched to the bn. I've definetly had some pretty intense gas issues for the duration, but the past 2 weeks my abdomen has just been in pain in addition to the usual lovely gas. I am hoping to see if anyone else has had this issue or one similar...
...and this is my first post, so thanks.
-shinyarmor

#22 Gwenny720

Gwenny720

ID: 53166

• Just Registered
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:21 PM

Ok, I'm just finding this post now so I'm not sure if anyone will see this but you are NOT alone "Shiny"..
I suffer on & off from seasonal IBS & had it under control just fine for over 2yrs.
Now that I"m on WB XL 300 name brand (generic before that) I'm having gas issues myself
& it's very embarrassing..
I'm now suffering from constipation with terrible abdominal cramping..
I'm a nurse & I work long hours (at times up to 15 a day)
so, when my stomach "issues" kick in its no fun!!
I'm also all the sudden breaking out with acne.
I'm only on WB for 34 days now & I don't feel any better..
If anything I feel worse.
I sure hope there is light at the end of this tunnel..

Good luck everyone :innocent:

I see that unfortunately no one has been on this thread in close to a year, but I am in desperate need of consolation. I've been on 450mg of WB since September (and smaller doses before). At first, I took the generic and got such bad abdominal pains I couldnt move and actually went to the hospital. Obviously the dr's said there was nothing wrong with me. I read a lot about the generic and this seemed to be a pretty common issue, so I switched to the bn. I've definetly had some pretty intense gas issues for the duration, but the past 2 weeks my abdomen has just been in pain in addition to the usual lovely gas. I am hoping to see if anyone else has had this issue or one similar...
...and this is my first post, so thanks.
-shinyarmor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users